Final Fantasy XV

Aug 23

Aug 23

The Next Evolution for PlayStation Home Coming Fall 2011

Jack Buser's Avatar Posted by Senior Director, PlayStation Now

Hi everyone. I’ve got some huge news for you.

As you know, we’ve been working hard to fill PlayStation Home with hundreds of games – everything from pool tables and dart boards to full-on space shooters like Novus Prime: Escalation, zombie slashers like Dead Island Zombie Survivor, and massive online racing games like Sodium 2: Project Velocity. Today we are excited to announce a complete redesign of the heart of PlayStation Home to reinforce our evolution into the ultimate social game platform on consoles today. This redesign will connect you with the world of hundreds of games in Home faster and better than ever before.

Coming in Fall 2011, this new core experience for PlayStation Home features a “hub and districts” design that will help you find games, people and places that fit your favorite game genres. The design features a new Hub that integrates games, quests, community events, and user-generated content, while providing you with additional navigation, shopping, socialization and entertainment options.

playstation home map

The new, futuristic Hub (shown below) brings an ever changing roster of games right to the center of Home, including Cogs from Codename: Lazy 8 Studios which will be featured front and center on day one. The Hub will also feature a new Activity Board filled with games to play, rewards to be won, a new UGC events system, and cool stuff to discover.

PlayStation Home - Hub

Powering this Activity Board is a massive new questing system that literally transforms Home itself into a game if you so choose. From frequently updated community activities to huge, branching narrative adventures, this questing system will provide game play options delivered to you in ways never before imagined.

Additionally, surrounding the Hub will be districts based on game genres to suit your mood. Whether you want an intense, in-your-face experience, or a more chill, laid-back environment, these districts will be packed with games and navigation points leading you to content that suits your style.

PlayStation Home - Action

• With a gritty, urban aesthetic reminiscent of a first-person shooter level, the Action District (shown above) is the perfect destination for gamers looking for action, shooter and horror games.
  • Come experience the outside-the-stadium feel of Sportswalk, which features up-to-the-minute major league sports scores, headlines and highlights, and sports-themed games.
  • Enter a lush beachfront jungle full of sights to see and adventure-themed games to discover in the Adventure District.

PlayStation Home - Pier Park

• Pier Park (shown above) is your destination for carnival, puzzle, outdoor and arcade games, featuring a waterfront boardwalk, Ferris wheel and a fun party zone that is linked to dedicated indie and arcade game spaces.
  • On top of all this great news, I’m excited to announce that we are going to upgrade Home’s core client to provide a streamlined initial user experience, getting you in and playing games faster than ever before. This upgrade will be deployed as a separate release from the redesign, and together they will underscore PlayStation Home’s evolution into a world filled with hundreds of games ready for you to play, making Home the ultimate social game platform on consoles.

We hope you’re as excited about PlayStation Home’s new core experience as we are!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 9

devilmosh said:

August 23rd, 11:29 am

Thank you! I’m incredibly excited about this!

dragonmagician said:

August 23rd, 11:31 am

I will go back if they add trophy support, which does not seem likely, since they are mostly likely avoiding the answering the question. I don’t know, maybe it’s impossible to implement, but at least address the fan’s request, please?

plaztiksyke said:

August 23rd, 11:31 am

I hope that sharding is greatly improved. When Home first opened, I met a lot of like-minded people who were into experimental games by happenstance. Now, it’s mostly jerks who are gathered around female avatars and being macho. It would get me interested in Home again if sharding happened based upon, friends and friends of friends, as well as commonalities of trophies and recently played games.

I am also looking forward to PS Eye/Move integration, as well. Basic facial/head tracking and being able to control arm movement (custom dances!!) would be really nice.

I like other people’s idea of a shared movie-watching experience via an embedded Netflix client with voice chat, like the Xbox seems to have.

I do hope we can still access Xi Museum, the Uncharted spaces, and some others.

I have my fingers crossed for a Sam & Max space from TellTale in the ‘adventure’ area :)

DARKFlRE007 said:

August 23rd, 11:31 am

since they have stopped answering people, my question will be left up in the air i guess. is this is sony’s response to losing the irem levels? irem had three levels that i know of, irem square, seaside of memories, and spelunkers. not many care for spelunkers…however the other two are core levels in home with one having been the first beach level and first to introduce swimwear to home.

i hope we have a new beach level like seaside coming…becaise red bull just is NOT the same.

i will miss the square.

how bout it sony? is this a direct response to losing the flagship and money cow irem?

MUGSZIE said:

August 23rd, 11:37 am

Hopefully its gonna be better with items as well instead of T shirts, because we want something actually cool that we can be impressed by. ive only seen a few items like that.

DaveedT13 said:

August 23rd, 11:39 am

Cool, did go to Home in the last 3 months but planning to go soon to see the new zombie mini game and after that for this redesign, will look forward to it! Like a lot of people her,e the only thing that makes me go not that often are the loading times and you say you’ll improve it so…good work and thanks for your time!

DKShadow said:

August 23rd, 11:40 am

This actually made me interested in Home again, it sounds pretty darn interesting, guys.

Now, if you would implement trophies into Home somehow (so that we earn trophies or something like that when using Home) you’d be getting a ton of users right there.

Ryusennin said:

August 23rd, 11:48 am

Excited? No. Cautiously curious, maybe.

Rorek_IronBlood said:

August 23rd, 11:49 am

As I blatantly pointed out and stated before. The “community” (or rather lack there of) has not changed and will not change. All they care about are the “superficial” and the aesthetics to which please them (and yet have no worth, value, or meaning outside the realm of the polygons and pixels.) It’s ugly and sickening (yet, I blame society for allowing such ignorance.) Nonetheless the community is largely like this and only help to enable such behavior. Which is even more saddening (though I love to be proven right.) Home (in it’s own right) is actually “dead”, or more so, left to the dead and the “nulls” in which inhabit it. Like a disease that spreads without control.

AspireX5 said:

August 23rd, 11:51 am

**IMPORTANT**

Will this occur in the European region of Home?

Mecha-Samurai said:

August 23rd, 11:53 am

user-generated content? Did I read that right? Are we finally going to be able to make things in home???

Mecha-Samurai said:

August 23rd, 11:56 am

@Rorek_IronBlood Wow someone has a major inferiority complex showing.

MUGSZIE said:

August 23rd, 11:56 am

if its user generated… ITS GONNA BE BEAST! we can make it some much fun

greyfeast said:

August 23rd, 12:08 pm

This sounds like a step in the right direction. I’ve always thought Home had a lot of potential but never lived up to it. There’s too much focus on how environments look and cosmetic rewards, but not enough fun interactions. I think every area should have a few simple fun mini-games and updating info on their game, otherwise what’s the point? We wonder around for a few minutes then leave and never go back.

babygirl942000 said:

August 23rd, 12:13 pm

The only thing Im worried about is when playstation does any kind of update its does not work correctly for at least 2 weeks after the release ..

scorpio182 said:

August 23rd, 12:17 pm

I think is a smart move and look forward to trying it out this fall.

SolidShocker said:

August 23rd, 12:19 pm

Is this also gonna fix the jogging/walking it really looks weird and also a sprint/run button? it would be faster and easier to get to place to place

mike_ph said:

August 23rd, 12:22 pm

Why dont you people just go play the Sims instead of Sony’s lame rip off?

Most of us people who play real games would like an update, but we never get one. Never cross game chat or updated menus or anything the people have been asking for for years.

But thanks for allowing me to walk around a virtual mall and spend real money on fake clothes for my character so I can try to hit on some virtual girl who is prolly a dude. SWEET!

devilmosh said:

August 23rd, 12:23 pm

@ Rorek_IronBlood

In your vain attempt at sounding intelligent, the only thing you’ve proven is that you’re a pretentious hypocrite. Your negative description of Home can be applied to any video game, something of which I imagine you participate in or you wouldn’t be on here preaching from a soapbox.

I am an adult, and the vast majority of my friends on Home are adults, and why would they have erotic content (as you mentioned) if the targeted demographic was pret-teens and tweens?

For being “dead,” there is never a shortage of people online during my daily visits, and the games are fun, something that I’m sure is shocking for something as “superficial” as, I don’t know, a video game system. Ha!

R_Navarro said:

August 23rd, 12:31 pm

If your getting Modern Warfare 3 or Battlefield 3 this winter, add me on psn.

Trooper04 said:

August 23rd, 12:35 pm

Did anyone felt that tremor on the East Coast of USA? It must’ve been the roaring shouts of HOME fans when they read this article!

xCh0z3n-0n3x said:

August 23rd, 12:36 pm

nniiiiceee cant wait to be in this new Home…hopefully the “Beta” tag will be taken down…it annoys me…lol

cant wait to be into this new experience. Loving the one now but this one looks really good.

SlightSkill said:

August 23rd, 12:39 pm

Trophy support, automatic downloads in the background so we already have the latest/greatest and a notice on our xmb that there’s new content to be seen/visited!

ICEIAN618 said:

August 23rd, 12:39 pm

Home gets all these glorius update and psn its self doesnt get no revamps..smh

CapinChronic said:

August 23rd, 12:40 pm

Will we be able to play music off our HDD”S finally?
and will we have Open mic”s again? Thanks.

Terard said:

August 23rd, 12:46 pm

This actually looks and sounds pretty cool i might actually give home another chance when this releases :)

Rackeyblader said:

August 23rd, 12:52 pm

Wow, finally we’ll get to see something different. I hope it will be as cool as what was shown years ago. How about streaming your videos and music in home!? where is that still?

Rorek_IronBlood said:

August 23rd, 12:54 pm

@devilmosh,

My “vain” attempt? I’m sorry, but the only “vain” (or rather I should say in vain) part is that I even bother to try when nulls cannot even comprehend what is happening around them, and I am not a “hypocrite”. Sorry to burst that pathetic bubble of your’s, but I find it funny that you call yourself an “adult” when there is “no” proof to the contrary. As for the content that you so, wished to “attempt” in your flimsy argument back; the content is of course aimed those ranging from pre-teens, tweens, and teens. Society has proven that aiming such products (sex sells) at said demographic equates to profits and sales.

As for the “dead” statement. You missunderstood it’s context. Enough said there (considering at whom I’m replying to even.)

Thank you, for enjoyable good laugh though.

ARC_Stig said:

August 23rd, 12:54 pm

This sounds sweet. I don’t use Home that much, but I will definately try this when it comes out, and by the looks, use Home much more often. I like what I have seen so far. :D

kaantantr said:

August 23rd, 1:00 pm

Is it going to be possible to reach PSHome from different countries after this update, like Turkey???

Trooper04 said:

August 23rd, 1:02 pm

I have just one simple question. Will this be released early fall, or late fall?

PirateHarlock said:

August 23rd, 1:03 pm

@lyles, just stop already, you actually gave me a good laugh at your nonsense. Exaggeration? please, due to the shortness of comments I cut back on the far too many examples of whats wrong with home. And btw, a great many of my friends know I’m right whereas nobody outside sony agress with you. And your pitiful arguments have no basis in reality. Anybody who’s actually loaded up home and used any of the public areas longer than 5 minutes will see for themselves. If you insist on talking say something sensible and drop the marketing spew. None of what you’ve said is the least bit credible. If you had any underage children I have no doubt you wouldn’t be letting them on home if you really knew what goes on there.

joeyc138 said:

August 23rd, 1:08 pm

It’s really great to see Home growing. Can’t wait!

Thanks Sony :D

terrys23 said:

August 23rd, 1:10 pm

Cannot wait looks great looks like more easier to navigate and faster load times are great good job im ready

saintaqua said:

August 23rd, 1:12 pm

Keep up the work! Home is such a massive undertaking. I can’t wait until the day it reaches it’s full potential.
Thanks for the updates.
Will Home be accessible from Vita also?

suckin_blood said:

August 23rd, 1:13 pm

Home had turn into Place!

saintaqua said:

August 23rd, 1:14 pm

@ Rorek:
I’ve never been on Home and found it dead.
And no, we don’t need sex on Home.

itsmeAlex said:

August 23rd, 1:15 pm

I like to if PlayStation Home is ever going to remove the 50-item limit from Personal Spaces? One of the things I love doing on Home is earning prizes from games and events, then decorating my Harbour Studio and PlayStation Home Mansion – Garage.

I’ve earned a bunch of prizes from all the time I’ve spent on Home, but I’m annoyed that I can’t decorate my apartment with all of them because of the 50-item limit. There is so much empty spaces in my PlayStation Home Mansion – Garage that I hope that PlayStation Home will remove the 50-item limit with big update.

somethingatt said:

August 23rd, 1:17 pm

Hiya, great stuff.

Any chance of an avatar redesign (they look to mannequin like atm) and more importantly, importing our faces with a webcam and the game rendering the face for us?

Nidathon said:

August 23rd, 1:29 pm

Epic beyond epic! This is an incredible update to PS Home; I love the vision and am proud to be along for the ride!

Waethorn said:

August 23rd, 1:31 pm

Any chance we can get multiplayer adventure/puzzle games with larger spaces?

I’d love to see something like Myst Online added into Home.

Speaking of which, Myst Online is now open-source. *wink wink*

Mrcoffee731 said:

August 23rd, 1:31 pm

This may be sorta dumb to ask but will us non playstation plus users be able to take advantage of all of this new stuff?

looks awesome, I’ll be there when it happens :D

Hitmanwwe said:

August 23rd, 1:38 pm

WOOOOOOOOOO cant.’t wait im all jumppi now i want to see it right now xD so when will this all be released ?? is there a date or just sometime this fall

hammy186 said:

August 23rd, 1:41 pm

it looks all good though i was wandering do we get to keep our bought things when this begins? I was just wandering because i don’t want to run and get another card and re buy them.

TJF588 said:

August 23rd, 1:42 pm

@whoever-all’s-talking-about-Home-regulars: I agree that the people I see are pretty embarrassingly undesirable (roleplaying, fine, but every time I see “fan”, I die a little insider brain), especially those who kneejerk-greet every decent-looking female avatar (how many friend requests has my sister gotten just from a round of complementary dailies?). The extreme for that is to block chat (BTW, Sony, we still need a way to un-child accounts), but that’s kinda steep. And too often have I suffered such tacky “clothing” choices (especially wings) for seemingly no good reason.

dirtyd89 said:

August 23rd, 1:43 pm

Very nice update.
I’m glad to hear that PS Home is getting more attention.
Now where’s my trophy rooms?
trololololol
:P

Ra_The_Sun_King said:

August 23rd, 1:45 pm

i know Sony and Devs want to make the PS3 experience a lot better but im up to here with Kids running loose , saying the most ignorant things, being overly annoying, harrasing people constantly, and refering to anything they dont like as GAY, oh your shoe is Gay, oh this plcae is Gay, or that sweater is Gay, and no Devs or Sony steps in to say Anything, but if anyone were to say, oh your shoes are so nazi, or the way you talk is so spic or any other phrase people would be up in arms, KIDS should have their own place to hang out and be as annoying as they want to, we adults dont need that, dont want that.
I go to Home to talk to my friends and i would like to be able to listen to Top of the Charts songs, we have QUIOCITY, why cant we ? Also sit and watch a movie with my friends at my personal space(full movie) and not crackle episodes of 1 to 4 mins, thats absurd.

DaneiL619 said:

August 23rd, 1:50 pm

Hi i am concerned about memory will we need more memory for this sweet update?? please reply.

darkside1923 said:

August 23rd, 1:54 pm

Will there be trophy for the games because that would be cool .

Ra_The_Sun_King said:

August 23rd, 1:54 pm

i have been asking for a recycling bin much like the one we have in our computers, i want to get rid of many Free Tshirts i cant even stand to look at ,as well as the 4 FORD dancing guys, i want them out of my storage and into the recycling bin .
If the MALL is a full working PAY IN REAL MONEY mall, why til this day we dont have a real REFUND, BUY BACK, EXCHANGE,TRADE IN Program ? ANYONE ?
I hope the www/HDD gets fix with the new Home in FALL………………..by the time anyone changes clothes and say im back, it has past a loooooooong time .

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 9