Overwatch

Aug 31

Aug 31

Co-op the Battlefield 3 Way

Tommy Rydling's Avatar Posted by Senior Community Manager, DICE

Battlefield 3 for PS3: Co-op

“Snake-66 is mission go!”

Hi all! Having just come back from a great gamescom show in Germany, here’s your chance to learn all about the co-op campaign in Battlefield 3 that we showed off on PS3. We designed co-op to be the perfect blend between the strong narrative from single player and the open-ended action from multiplayer. We are fusing the replayability of multiplayer with a pick up-and-play mentality to create a totally new flavor of Battlefield.

Co-op follows the same philosophy as our award-winning multiplayer game mechanics. Teamwork is practically never forced upon you, but working together will make things much easier and — more importantly — lead to victory.

For the most part, the missions in the co-op campaign are asymmetric. This means that one mission can have you piloting a helicopter while your friend is the gunner, for example. Other situations have one player disarming a bomb and the other one defending him. Or (as you could see in our press conference playthrough at gamescom) you can do tandem kills to avoid detection. There are also other mechanics requiring teamwork, such as spotting enemies to make large firefights easier, or the essential concept of reviving one another to avoid ending up at the game over screen.

Battlefield 3 for PS3: Co-op

Man down! Give your co-op buddy a helping hand to stay in the game.

The co-op missions in Battlefield 3 all take place in the same world as the single-player campaign, and follow a unique series of events that lead up to an explosive finish. Players in co-op will take the role of soldiers that are not tied to any one particular branch of the Armed Forces. This is an intentional design decision to allow for a vast variety in gameplay in the different co-op missions.

Extracting Hamid El Zakir

At gamescom 2011, we ran Battlefield 3 in co-op for the first time, with the mission Exfiltration on 10 PlayStation 3 stations. During the five days of the show, thousands of fans and journalists got hands-on time with Exfiltration. The mission revolves around a defecting informant, El Zakir, that you and your co-op friend need to escort to safety. The mission starts outside the building where El Zakir resides. You need to move in, remove any opposition, and extract the target. If you can make it that far without raising a single alarm, there’s a little bonus in it for you.

Part two of Exfiltration has you clearing a path for your convoy so you can reach the outskirts of the city, before entering two vehicles and manning the top-mounted machine guns to provide some assistance. There’s much more to the mission, but that gives you an idea of what to expect.

Lend a Helping Hand

To survive through the co-op missions, you’ll need to stay close to your buddy. If he goes down, lend a helping hand with the new co-op “Man down!” mechanic, that lets you revive him in the heat of battle. While being down, you can still use your secondary weapon to defend yourself, while slowly crawling to a safer spot where your friend can help you without getting shot. If both of you go down, it’s game over.

You fight together. You die together. And you score together. After having cleared a co-op mission with your friend, your total combined score will be displayed via Battlelog, our suite of free social features that connect all Battlefield 3 players. Missions are designed to be shorter than single-player missions, so you can easily do multiple rounds in an evening to try and beat your friends’ high score. The best score of your friend will be displayed for each mission, so you know what to aim for.

Expect to encounter high difficulty: We are definitely going for a tough challenge in all missions. Also, since competitive players will likely try each mission several times, all of the co-op missions contain randomized elements to keep every playthrough fresh. Clearing the co-op missions not only gives you scores and bragging rights – it also has benefits for your multiplayer career. There are a number of weapons that you can unlock in co-op and take with you to the regular multiplayer modes. These unlocks are based on your combined scores accumulated throughout the co-op campaign.

We hope you enjoyed this first look at Exfiltration. It was very rewarding meeting our fans at gamescom, and we hope you stay tuned for more blog posts here at the PlayStation.Blog as we move ever closer to launch. And don’t forget there’s an upcoming Open Beta in September!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

DominantDude said:

August 31st, 12:48 pm

Dear God… You guys should just stop posting stuff about CoD and BF all together. The young users (95% of them) cant control their baby-ish ways.

MadMeat001 said:

August 31st, 12:58 pm

ORIGIN ON PC SUX

FR0STYdaD0P3MANN said:

August 31st, 1:03 pm

open beta September ??? Niceee… cant wait for this game Oct 25th. XD BF3>MW2.5 <<LMFAO

JEC94 said:

August 31st, 1:22 pm

Co-op nice!

marlyt said:

August 31st, 1:55 pm

@ 52–Even niiiicer…those of us who purchased Medal of Honor Limited Edition and activated out Tier One codes get in (the beta) 48 hours earlier.

Does anyone play MOH any more online? I loved that game. A lot of people didn’t, but I did.

qwertyuiop357 said:

August 31st, 2:08 pm

Oh, looks cool. Good thing I have buddies to play with me online.

wolfman-11 said:

August 31st, 2:18 pm

I think Battlefield 3 is going be a amazing game. I hate it when fanboys come trolling saying BF3 sucks. MW3 and BF3 are a close match and i really wanna see who has the most sales by the end of the year with this much game releases. DICE keep doing what your doing and make Frostbite 2 a great engine. :)

zhugzug said:

August 31st, 2:20 pm

Please please please make it “Move compatible” if not ill just get the PC version. Cause I HATE using a game controller for shooting. Its sooooo counter training.

shankmoney7 said:

August 31st, 2:57 pm

Will there be an option were can like say you can create your own game missions or if you dont have that option you will design them all if you do can like put it in downloadable content.:)

SnDin9 said:

August 31st, 3:12 pm

Can’t wait! I’ll more than likely be playing MP most of the time but this should be a fun for those days I just can’t stand playing with most of the people online haha.

furykiller972 said:

August 31st, 4:22 pm

ive already pre ordered this game and cannot wait!!!!!! PLEASE GIVE US THE BETA SOOOOOONNNNNN!!!

elias820 said:

August 31st, 5:30 pm

ADD ME IF YOU R GETTING BF3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOW2010 said:

August 31st, 6:50 pm

your kinda copying call of duty with the chopper in one mission, where your friend is the piolet and your on the ground, i dont mind battle field , but when ya copy from another franchise and just amp up the graphics , kinda sounds like ya guys were striving for ideas, and the call of duty mission with the chopper sucked anyway.

CaSShMoNey said:

August 31st, 9:27 pm

Can’t wait, the timed exclusive dlc for COD has annoyed me for too long, MW3 may be the last COD I get if BF3 turns out to be amazing.
(Xbox and I= FAIL)

Skater_Ricky said:

August 31st, 11:13 pm

I got my Pre-Order in a while back on exact date is: 06/07/2011 if im correct same day as I picked up my Copy of inFamous 2 Hero Edition :)

Glade to be getting the Limited Edition Version :)

Co-op sounds like fun.. ill have to read above some more..

►I wasn’t for sure if i caught it said [Online Co-op] or [Offline Co-op].◄

Anyone want to correct me in the comments please do :)

boobinz said:

September 1st, 3:03 am

LOOKIN FORWARD TO THIS 1..WOOOT

spideyal said:

September 1st, 5:29 am

Eff it, I caved. I’m going to pre-order it on Amazon.ca right now. I’ve been holding off this entire time since I have a huge backlog of games I need to finish that only gets bigger as months pass. :( But it does come out in October I believe, so that gives a bit of wiggle room before my most waited for Uncharted 3 (since I finished Uncharted 2 when it was first released) comes out November 1st.

TooL-666-Schism said:

September 1st, 7:21 am

Got all excited when i saw the Co Op title…

Then realized co op doesn’t mean split screen so now.. I could care less. Games are useless to me without split screen. Sad because it looks like a good game and I understand why there is no split screen capabilities for games like this but unfortunately without this I will not be purchasing this game. I’ll save my money for uncharted 3 and resistance 3 both sporting a healthy supply of split screen.

Arnold_NYC said:

September 1st, 1:38 pm

Cant wait for BF3! COD is fun but I want to try another FPS. I’m going to get them both. The people at DICE make very good games.

smw45 said:

September 1st, 2:46 pm

october 25th is so close yet so far away. stupid september.

that-acmilan-guy said:

September 1st, 2:49 pm

Thanks for the response Dice, no I meant the PS3 multiplayer footage not Co-op :)

trustkill said:

September 1st, 2:55 pm

VERY excited for this game. I don’t really know what the SP campaign is about, but to be honest.. I didn’t even complete the SP for BFBC2 and I have around 200hrs of MP gameplay under my belt.

I can say with total confidence that I have the coolest dad on PSN. Not only do we play regularly together, but he preordered this game for himself and I, totally unprovoked. Oct 25th, you can’t come soon enough!

OERNY_GER said:

September 1st, 3:00 pm

Is there a possibility to get a beta key without buying MoH?

BEH2009 said:

September 1st, 3:19 pm

Can we please have an option where we can battle others offline??

smw45 said:

September 1st, 3:22 pm

@73 that would be cool to an extent, but when you’re dealing with a game like battlefield the maps are simply to large for a small amount of players.

tsakmasakis said:

September 1st, 3:47 pm

Will there be a splitscreen mode? Either coop or versus?

ebob-boom said:

September 1st, 3:50 pm

this is gonna kill mw3!

farmerguy95 said:

September 1st, 4:19 pm

wait so i realize that theres no split screen co-op but is there split screen at all? iv’e got bad internet so online is only when i go to my cousins house but if i cant have my friends come over and have us play it together then mw3 seems like the fps choice for me. i know im just one person but i was thinking of switching from cod to bf, split screen is just about a must for me.

E-Phoenix- said:

September 1st, 5:51 pm

Day 1!

jackme52 said:

September 1st, 9:19 pm

Let me try and clear things up. If you like run and gun, get cod. If you want to get your boots wet with the blood of a sniper who has had your squad pinned down for the last 15 minutes BFBC2 is your game. If you listen to the background of both games, in cod you will hear guns and grenades. in BFBC2 u will hear all out war fare, also u will hear and see M95 rounds wizzing pass your head while looking at trails of smoke left behind trying to figure out where it came from.

jackme52 said:

September 1st, 9:28 pm

Hey Tommy, how’s this for an idea? BF vs cod. Just think about it, all of the weapons and gadgets from cod vs BF’s, with nice size maps. If cod revolves around kill streaks, how would they win with snipers and our UAV seeing them b4 they could even think about seeing us? Tell me one thing, what will a cod fan do with a toma hawk when an Abrams tank has a barrel in thier face? LOL.. put a scratch on the finish. That’s one way to end the battle between cod and BF. Let me know what you think.

CaribbeanCLANK said:

September 3rd, 7:04 am

I was under the impression that owners of Medal of Honor were going to get early access to the Battlefield 3 beta. What ever happened to that?? Now everyone will have access to the beta??

A bit unfair to the folks that purchased Medal of Honor.

Crazykid204 said:

September 4th, 10:19 am

what date will the bf3 beta come out in september??

QUICKSILV3R_com said:

September 5th, 9:41 pm

Any1 know if BF Veterans are going get a special gun for BF3?

RocketRob99 said:

September 7th, 12:23 pm

I purchased the MOH LTD edition. Although it has been said that as such we will be granted early access to the beta by I think 2 or 3 days. How will we be notified?

mercenary24 said:

September 8th, 1:14 pm

I cant wait for bf3. But is their gona be a bad company 3 or is this it?

be-money said:

September 18th, 6:09 pm

Hey, is it true that DICE is waiting for the approval of the beta from PS3 and xbox? Or is that too much information?

xxDFAxx said:

September 19th, 9:57 am

Hope BF3 lives up to the hype… it’s looking good. Getting both BF3 and MW3. Both totally different game plays so not sure why people keep comparing them together.

highclere70 said:

September 21st, 1:37 pm

Great. Why isn’t COD MW2 a Greatest Hits title yet?

soldierV820 said: