Spider-Man PS4

Sep 07

Sep 07

SkyDrift Hits PSN, Own the Skies

Balazs Horvath's Avatar Posted by Designer / Director of Publishing, Digital Reality

Skydrift for PS3 (PSN)

Skydrift combines the speed and intensity of air racing with the action of vehicular combat, and it just hit PSN! Give it a shot – we think it’s a unique, exciting racing title. In Skydrift, your task is simple: beat your opponents at all costs. You can outmaneuver them on the course, or try to get the upper hand by deploying one of six different power-ups, from missiles and aerial mines to turbo boosts and repair kits. Your opponents will also be gunning for you and trying to take you down by any means necessary, so stay on your toes.

Skydrift for PS3 (PSN)Skydrift for PS3 (PSN)

When developing the tracks for the game, we wanted to create courses that would be both visually compelling and offer players unique challenges. The exotic locations in Skydrift include a tropical paradise, a frozen glacial setting, and a sprawling mine area. You can even race some of these tracks in a backward variant for an extra shot of variety. Skydrift also offers up eight different planes, each one controlling differently and catering to a different play style than the others. There are also 32 different skins that players can use to customize their plane, personalizing the experience even more.

One of the things that we hope people notice about Skydrift is the striking graphics engine. We created Skydrift using an all-new graphics engine. Utilizing a smooth framerate, detailed textures, and special lighting effects and motion blur techniques, Skydrift is a great-looking game that rivals and even bests some retail games.

Skydrift for PS3 (PSN)

We built Skydrift to be a fun, pick-up-and-play experience, and we really feel that we accomplished this goal. Skydrift moves fast and plays smoothly, with tight controls and a great graphics engine that rivals a full-blown retail console experience. We’re really proud of what we were able to achieve and can’t wait to finally get the game in your hands. Skydrift will be available for download on the PlayStation Store – give it a shot and let us know what you think!

Add Your Own

rafael_martines said:

September 7th, 6:31 am

Hmmm the last time I played a “Racing Sky Game” like that was Diddy Kong Racing :D And the grafics looks amazing! :D When? When?

KidCommando said:

September 7th, 6:37 am

Video or it didn’t happen.

U_A_E-SNIPER said:

September 7th, 6:43 am

when and how much ? ^^

KidCommando said:

September 7th, 6:45 am

Looks like a very polished game. I have to assume, since you didn’t mention online multiplayer, that this game doesn’t have it? …or does it?

U_A_E-SNIPER said:

September 7th, 6:47 am

any word about PAYDAY?

JAy1984allday said:

September 7th, 6:51 am

Nice

MaxxAmmo said:

September 7th, 7:02 am

Looks like there’s a demo on the PS store, looks good, will d/l and try it out!

Balazs Horvath's Avatar

Balazs Horvath said:

September 7th, 7:10 am

Hello everyone,

it has 8 player online multiplayer, so be prepared :).
The price is $15, and it is available as of today…!

The treaser trailer:

And further gameplay footage in the launch trailer:

Cheers,
Balazs Horvath

KidCommando said:

September 7th, 7:43 am

Thanks for the comment Balazs.

Glad to hear there IS online multiplayer.

Appreciate it!

Chuckbait said:

September 7th, 8:38 am

How about Move support? No move support, I assume.

Diddy Kong Racing was pretty cool back in the day.

Balazs Horvath's Avatar

Balazs Horvath said:

September 7th, 8:41 am

no Move support, that’s true. we loved Diddy Kong Racing, too :)

Balazs

voyte4 said:

September 7th, 8:41 am

Another game released on PSN and no info before it comes out and you expect people to spend 15 dollars on it. Same as the Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon that came out last week no info before game comes out and then few days later Sony post something on the blog. Developers its Sony that ruins your sales of the game.

zech678 said:

September 7th, 8:46 am

kool

siriusbee said:

September 7th, 9:04 am

I felt that some of the pick-ups looked a lot like they did in Blur, a game that I played a lot in the past. Shockwave, Plasma.

Burmecian_Rat said:

September 7th, 9:07 am

Very good game. I played the demo and liked it. The only thing that turned me off a bit was the lack of traditional joystick controls for the plane. You know, where you roll the plane on the side then push up to turn left or right. As it is I have difficulty pushing both sticks in the same direction to do a knife edge turn without also accidentally pushing up like most other plane games which causes my plane to gain altitude inadvertently. Any chance a patch could add alternate plane controls where left/right on the left stick causes your plane to roll in that direction then you push up/down to actually turn?

Balazs Horvath's Avatar

Balazs Horvath said:

September 7th, 9:17 am

we do not plan to change the controls, however we aim to deliver additional content later.
it was intentional that the powerups are easily recognizable at first sight.

thanks for the comments,
Balazs

Ratchet426 said:

September 7th, 9:39 am

Balazs-
Thanks for the replies – I’ll definitely be checking out the demo for possible purchase!

BTW, any reason why your ‘replies’ are showing up as regular posts and not highlighted in red like replies normally are?

SpeedRacer1955 said:

September 7th, 9:39 am

The game reminded me of the Red Bull Air Race in Home. Flying through obstacles and collecting power ups etc. I would not be surprised it was developed by the same people and just reskinned to make money. And that is not a bad thing. I like the game very much.

And as far as Move support, the Move control scheme does not lend itself to games like this the PS3 is not a Wii…

ARtsIndustries said:

September 7th, 9:43 am

3D, eventually?

SpeedRacer1955 said:

September 7th, 9:43 am

Ratchet426 I think the game is free to Plus subscribers.

Burmecian_Rat said:

September 7th, 9:45 am

Sixaxis motion controls would’ve worked though. Red Baron Arcade is a joy to fly with those.

GT-420 said:

September 7th, 10:01 am

Thank you mucho for the demo, all games should put one out. Will definitely try it out.

Balazs Horvath's Avatar

Balazs Horvath said:

September 7th, 10:39 am

Dear all,

as I combine more answers into one post, I am not using “reply” as it would be misleading :)

The team is different than the one created Red Bull Air Race.

The full game is not free for Plus subscribers, but the demo is there for all to try!

Cheers, Balazs

lisatsunami said:

September 7th, 10:53 am

@Balazs: my eye/hand coordination isn’t good enough for these kinds of games, but I’m rating you a five because I really appreciate devs who care enough to answer our questions. Best of luck to you.

I agree with the earlier poster that, in general, Sony does not adequately promote games, neither first or third party.

Balazs Horvath's Avatar

Balazs Horvath said:

September 7th, 11:43 am

thanks :) keep your eyes open for our other titles, we have aplenty :)

crowsticky1234 said:

September 7th, 11:22 am

Looking at the pictures and the graphics looks amazing, I’m speechless. No wonder your called “Digital Reality”.

Rooskie007 said:

September 7th, 1:57 pm

Hmmm.. cant they make a Sony Blog page within the PSN Store.. as to easily streaming the viewing/previews/reviews on games like this that would go unnoticed if i didnt check this site everyone once and a while… Cant wait to check it out at home
Any chance for some 3D support?

Balazs Horvath's Avatar

Balazs Horvath said:

September 7th, 2:05 pm

We have no plans to add 3D support to this title.
    Cheers, Balazs

IIITRU3M4STAIII said:

September 7th, 2:56 pm

Looks good gotta go try the demo

scorpio182 said:

September 7th, 4:49 pm

Looks good will try demo….

RidleysBox said:

September 7th, 5:20 pm

Reminds me a lot of the first few episodes of Last Exile. Classic looking planes in a low ground aerial race.

devilmosh said:

September 7th, 11:11 pm

I grabbed the demo right away, just haven’t had a chance to jump on it yet. When it was mentioned the other day here on the blog, I looked it up on YouTube and loved what I saw! Plus, the attention given to questions here is top-notch professionalism. Good luck with everything!

devilmosh said:

September 7th, 11:30 pm

Okay, I just played the demo. Fantastic! The graphics are gorgeous and the gameplay is addictive. Also, I had no trouble at all getting used to the controls. Very smooth. I’m definitely getting this.

Balazs Horvath's Avatar

Balazs Horvath said:

September 7th, 11:47 pm

Thank you all for the kind comments. Glad you like the game! :)
Balazs

Erlaxis said:

September 10th, 10:40 am

Looks awesome! Downloading the demo!