PlayStation VR

Sep 19

Sep 19

DC Universe Online for PS3 Is Going Free-To-Play

Lorin Jameson's Avatar Posted by Executive Director of Development, Sony Online Entertainment

DC Universe Online for PS3

What could possibly be better than battling with thousands of other players online in the first, and only, action MMO on the PS? How about battling FOR FREE? That’s right, DC Universe Online will soon be free to download from the PlayStation Store, and free-to-play with no monthly fees required.

So what’s the catch? There is none. The entire game will be open for you to play for free. We have gotten a lot of feedback from gamers asking for an opportunity to play without a subscription requirement. So, that got us thinking about how to offer access to the game in a way that allows gamers to play their way. We wanted something that would give players options. We know different types of gamers are playing – and want to play – DCUO, and we want each person to be able to play in a way that best fits their style. That’s why we’ve created three levels of access to the game:

DC Universe Online for PS3

• Free Access – Just like it sounds. Download and play the game for free. You also get all ongoing game updates (except DLC packs).
  • Premium Access – This next level of access opens up to you if you spend at least $5 in the in-game store. Premium Access grants you additional benefits that improve your experience in the game, such as more inventory slots, more character slots, bank slots and more free Vault tickets. So all you have to do is pick up some cool items in the store or buy a DLC pack and you unlock Premium Access. The best part? Once you unlock Premium Access you keep it for the life of your account.
  • Legendary Access – With Legendary Access you can unlock the maximum level of features and benefits. To unlock Legendary Access you can pay for a $14.99 per month game pass, or save big with a discounted multi-month pass. Lifetime members are automatically granted Legendary access. Legendary Access also includes all DLC packs at no extra charge.

DC Universe Online for PS3

I know all of this sounds great for the soon-to-be new players, but it’s just as good for all of you who still play, or used to play. Current players who are currently on a month-to-month or multi-month game pass will automatically be granted Legendary Access for the remaining time on their game pass once we officially transition to free-to-play. They can continue to play and stay at the Legendary Access level, or opt to migrate to another level.

If you used to play DCUO, this gives you a great opportunity to come back and rejoin your old crimefighting (or evil-doing) friends without spending a cent. If you previously purchased DCUO at a retail store or through a PSN download and activated your account, you will automatically be granted Premium Access when you come back.

You can go to our website for more details on the three levels of access, plus a FAQ that should cover any other questions that you may have. We can’t tell you how excited we are to be making this move, and can’t wait to have you all join us in game. Talk to us in the comments below and let us know what you think. We’re listening.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 5

ADK_SHADOW_X said:

September 19th, 8:06 am

hmmm sounds cool i guess… be awesome if marvel did one

SarshelYam said:

September 19th, 8:08 am

Excellent! I’ve been playing since day one, but this has certainly been a hurdle for some of my friends who didn’t want to incur another monthly charge. Thanks for the update and the continued support Lorin (and team).

H8_is_Bad said:

September 19th, 8:08 am

Nice.. This might be worth picking up now.. Well maybe not Too many triple A titles coming out starting in October. Good deal tho i wonder if they are gonna refund the poor saps that paid for memberships. lol

thebgj said:

September 19th, 8:09 am

can some one explain how this worked before. I did know PS was charging to play online games. And a monthly fee………what are they talking about. Obviously i don’t play this game but it just sounded weird.

MailOrderClone said:

September 19th, 8:10 am

As I recall, DCUO was going to be free-to-play originally. But for some reason they decided not to have free access at launch and sort of staggered that for a while. Not entirely clear on the reason for that, but I’m certainly willing to give the game another go once the free service launches.

thebgj said:

September 19th, 8:10 am

and just to add…..in the article it said they listen to the gamers that didn’t want to pay…..so they made it free. .

Did they think people wanted to pay to begin with?

jmcole79 said:

September 19th, 8:14 am

When is available to download for free?

JMG24BAD said:

September 19th, 8:15 am

This Pretty much means I will play your game now. and possibly spend some cash in the game. I dont know why you guys didnt make it free to play in the first place. Could have been had my money

SCODIAC said:

September 19th, 8:16 am

Right on. I’ll re-installing and I’ll be playing again as soon as F2P goes live.

Benmo316 said:

September 19th, 8:18 am

I’m glad I still have this game on my shelf. I will definitely come back to DCUO now!

ddb216 said:

September 19th, 8:20 am

Wow SONY, great move! I’ve wanted to play this game, but no way I’m paying a monthly fee to play this (my money has priorities).
I’ll download this on Day 1.

iriihutoR48 said:

September 19th, 8:20 am

Great! Does anybody know what the install size is? Might need to clear some space for it. I’ve always had my eye on this but the monthly fees turned me off together with limited time for an MMO. I’m no stranger to spending in-game money if it’s an enjoyable product and I hope this will work out well for all parties. Best wishes to the SOE team and thank you and good luck!

dragonleader33 said:

September 19th, 8:21 am

Now this is pretty cool. Now all Sony needs is make it so Plus members get a little extra something. Free Premium level and discounted Legendary would be a good idea.

Stoffinator said:

September 19th, 8:24 am

This is how it should of been from the start. Now I will pick up the game and play it.

Figboy said:

September 19th, 8:25 am

Lol. NOW you guys announce this, after I renewed me and my wife’s subscriptions! I could have saved $30 to pay for some other games!! Lol.

MarkakaJin said:

September 19th, 8:25 am

I finally get to play this. I’ve always wanted to. Thanks a bunch, SOE.
We all like to know, when it’s going to be F2P?

GEEWUN-96 said:

September 19th, 8:26 am

Gonna try it out, but I’ve never been a big MMO kinda gamer

RE_Player said:

September 19th, 8:27 am

I’ll check this out for sure. Since you only have to pay $5 to get Premium Access for life I’ll do that for sure. $5 for an MMO is a good deal to me.

DrPhiill said:

September 19th, 8:27 am

Never got a chance to play this game but wanted to so much! and now with this update im surly gonna give it a try! loove you DC!

RenderMonk said:

September 19th, 8:28 am

Sounds good. This way I can get in and try the game. If I like what it has to offer, I’ll probably buy a few things in order to upgrade my account.

Phoniexknight said:

September 19th, 8:30 am

With this becoming free now , will we be to unlock trophies or must be pay for an upgrade before they unlock

BananaFish said:

September 19th, 8:31 am

Thanks for listening Sony! This breaths life into a game that once held promise but was DOA due to its foolish business model. Had DCUO been a ‘free’ game download on day one providing 30 days access followed with $10 a month subscription thereafter…DCUO would’ve been a huge hit instead of a smoking pile.

cwsluke said:

September 19th, 8:32 am

So this means free platinum?

JMG24BAD said:

September 19th, 8:34 am

i already know that i like the game. so depending on what you have to sell, I may buy a few things

bestscreenname said:

September 19th, 8:34 am

cool. kind of wish i didnt delete the beta from my ps3 so i wouldnt have to redownload that monster of a file!

djspinal said:

September 19th, 8:35 am

Pardon my french but F$@& Yeah! Knew it was worth waiting on this one! Next, I just have to hold off paying for a subscription until psn AND SOE merge! It will happen, just like i knew this would! The sooner the better for sony! Thank you!

AmericanNinja1 said:

September 19th, 8:35 am

I have the disc version. will i still have to download it from the PS store? and will my save/characters transfer over?

Lorin Jameson's Avatar

Lorin Jameson said:

September 19th, 8:36 am

Glad you guys are so excited about the changes! We are definitely excited ourselves. We have a lot of great gamers in DC Universe Online already, but we are very jazzed at getting even more folks into this great world we have.

We do not have an exact date for the launch of this since it involves a number of partners at DC and PS3 but we are shooting for the end of October. We will keep you informed as we nail down the date.

Look forward to seeing you in DC Universe Online!

Lorin “DeadMeat” Jameson

stlthriot said:

September 19th, 8:37 am

Just out of curiousity… I’m assuming the free account won’t have access to getting trophies, right?

Lorin Jameson's Avatar

Lorin Jameson said:

September 19th, 8:38 am

Lorin

DuoMaxwell007 said:

September 19th, 8:38 am

wait so the only thing legendary access gives you is all the DLC packs for 15 bucks a month? Im sure theres not THAT many DLC packs.. if thats the case why not spend lets say 60 bucks for all the DLC one time and then go back to playing for free.. or if legendary gives you all the DLC why not spend 15 bucks for 1 month to unlock the DLC then once its unlocks continue playing for free?

In otherwords whats the incentive for paying 15 bucks a month when the DLC can all be bought for one flat fee and then never have to pay again? unless youre gonna make the DLC only accessible to people who pay 15 bucks a month for it.. but that would contradict you saying “spend 5 bucks on a DLC pack then get premium access”?

RE_Player said:

September 19th, 8:43 am

Wait so can premium access players get trophies?

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

September 19th, 8:45 am

So..are we gettin a reimbursed for the 50 buks we paid for the game? >:/ or at least a exclusive weapons and abilities..something that sets us apart from those who are to cheap to support your exclusive MMO :p

Permafry_42 said:

September 19th, 8:47 am

Interesting, but since I’m not planing to pay beyond maybe dlc I think i’ll get it free to play on pc instead since the main reason I would play on ps3 for a multiplatform game is trophies or better controls (what xpadder on pc is for =D) and I’d rather play this type of game with KB/M. Plus I’ve already almost maxed my 120 gb harddrive and when I played the beta it was something like 22gb!

johnnyp70 said:

September 19th, 8:50 am

OK, I have been a subscriber in the past with the disc version of the game. I stopped in June. I assume I will be a Premium member because of that. I also assume I will still be able to get the trophies I have yet to acquire, correct? And what of the DLC, will I need to pay for that, for example, Fight fo the Light?

Lorin Jameson's Avatar

Lorin Jameson said:

September 19th, 9:00 am

Yes. All past subscribers will come in at the Premium level.

New trophies are limited to Legendary access members as required by PS3 rules. However you will still retain any trophies you have earned in the game.

Legendary players will have free access to all DLC, including Fight for the Light. Premium and Free players have to option to purchase DLC.

Lorin Jameson

jeffsmither said:

September 19th, 8:51 am

is there a max level for Free Access?
What if we buy the game at a retail store?

Lorin Jameson's Avatar

Lorin Jameson said:

September 19th, 9:02 am

No max level for free players.

Retail purchase options are ending soon.

Lorin Jameson

TheUndertaker85 said:

September 19th, 8:51 am

“Legendary Access – With Legendary Access you can unlock the maximum level of features and benefits. To unlock Legendary Access you can pay for a $14.99 per month game pass, or save big with a discounted multi-month pass. Lifetime members are automatically granted Legendary access. Legendary Access also includes all DLC packs at no extra charge.”

So… Can you comment on that last little bit? PS3 users have known for some time that they CAN NOT get a lifetime membership as the cost is $199.99 and the PSN wallet only supports up to $150 at a time. Will this be remedied soon or are PS3 users still stuck with limited subscriptions in that department? Also, will PS+ members see discounts for subscriptions? DLC? Anything for PS+ members?

dilbig5 said:

September 19th, 8:51 am

In the post, it says “DC Universe Online will soon be free to download from the PlayStation Store, and free-to-play with no monthly fees required.”

Does this include the retail (disc) version too? It wasn’t clarified in the DC Universe FAQ’s either. I would much rather have the disc than a digital but the digital copy would suffice.

Lorin Jameson's Avatar

Lorin Jameson said:

September 19th, 9:04 am

We are ending the BD Disc option for new players. If you already have a DCUO disk you can of course continue to use that.

Lorin

crazyman047 said:

September 19th, 8:52 am

cant wait too play for free

TUSTIN1 said:

September 19th, 8:52 am

“Yes. PS3 requires that only paid games reward trophies. Legendary access players will still be able to earn trophies though.”

Care to explain why the free episodes of Blue Toad Murder Files and Back to the Future reward trophies then?

Kane22_ said:

September 19th, 8:54 am

im pretty sure im gonna get hated on but whatever. i don’t understand how this community thinks they don’t have to pay just cause it’s on a console. personally i liked the game when i got and payed for it but the only reason why i stopped cause i had really no help. plus it was hard to get people together for missions and raids. hopefully this changes. also sometimes i liked to play alone but couldn’t cause you just get overwhelmed cause they expect you to play with others all the time.

harmony102 said:

September 19th, 8:58 am

Ah yes! Finally able to play this game.
And in time for my bday!
Thank you so much!!!

El_Pollo_CA said:

September 19th, 8:59 am

I am also very curious to know why anyone would pay $15 a month to play a game on the PS3? errm well that’s about it, Why would I pay $15 a month to play a game when I can buy/rent any other game and play for free…that’s completely free, not kinda free?

mrpaulryan said:

September 19th, 9:00 am

So when’s this happening?

El_Pollo_CA said:

September 19th, 9:01 am

Omg I just another saying the lifetime fee is $199….Have I woken up today in a different universe ? Who in their right mind would be paying $199 to play a game,,,,until they get bored and move to the next game….Is this for real?

thethiny said:

September 19th, 9:08 am

Its pretty Nice Game, my Bucks are saved! would have bought it next months (once I got a 50$ card)..phew that was close!

thethiny said:

September 19th, 9:09 am

@mrpaulryan October

TopherQuin said:

September 19th, 9:09 am

Awesome! I wanted to play this, but couldn’t afford another monthly subscription.

Killthee said:

September 19th, 9:13 am

So what happens to my Legends plan after the game goes F2P? Am I automatically converted to Legendary Access at $30 for 3 months or do I have to pay $15 a month if I want to keep Legendary Access?

Lorin Jameson's Avatar

Lorin Jameson said:

September 19th, 9:15 am

You will continue at the Legendary plan rate. All multi-month options currently available will continue under the new model.

Lorin

Bilsebob said:

September 19th, 9:16 am

Can we buy these game passes through the Playstation Store? I don’t use credit cards online.

ElektroDragon said:

September 19th, 9:19 am

You probably would not have had to go free to play if you had just provided a DEMO to begin with so people would not have to dish out $50 plus monthly fees BLINDLY!

PAGE 1 2 3 5