Overwatch

Sep 20

Sep 20

ICO & Shadow of The Colossus Collection Next Week, Bonus Content Preview

Brian Dunn's Avatar Posted by Associate Product Marketing Manager

With the release of The ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection just a week away, I’m still in awe over how awesome the remastered games look and sound. If you’re on the fence about the collection, know that, so far, it has an average score of 91 out of 27 reviews. Game Informer gave it a 9.75, Destructoid a 9.5, Games Radar a 9.0, GamePro a 4.5 out of 5, and IGN an 8.5.

The games are fantastic in their own right, whether you’ll be playing them for the first time or have already played the originals. But I think you’re also really going to dig the fantastic bonus content we’ve packed onto the disc.

Not only do you get to enjoy seeing early concept and prototype footage of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, we’ve also included the original concept video for NICO. If you’ve never heard of NICO, it was the second game from Fumito Ueda and team, and was going to be an online game where groups of hunters tracked, scaled and slayed giant beasts together. That game was never made, but key ideas from it formed the basis for what would become Shadow of the Colossus.

In addition, there are two brand new original videos included on the disc. One is a 20+ minute round-table discussion between key members of the development team, Fumito Ueda (Lead Designer, Director), Kenji Kaido (Line producer) and Junichi Hosono (designer). They openly discuss what it was like to make these games, difficulties and challenges they faced, and even the original US packaging for ICO.

blog_rt_1blog_rt_2

blog_3

blog_1blog_2

And last but not least is a 12-minute behind-the-scenes video filmed on location at the Sony Computer Entertainment JAPAN Studio offices in
Shinagawa. This video features interviews with key production staff members about the making of ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian, their thoughts on this new HD collection, as well as concept art and prototype footage from all the games. You’ll also watch some never-before-seen footage from The Last Guardian.

Above, you can watch a short sneak peek at some of the cool bonus video content you can look forward to next week when you pick up the game for yourself on September 27th. I hope you enjoy the bonus content on the disc as much as we did putting it all together for you. Don’t forget to check out the preview of the collection in this month’s episode of Qore as well.

Which game are you more excited to play in HD for the first time — ICO or Shadow of the Colossus?

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Blackinwoman said:

September 20th, 8:52 am

this HD collection will be available in PSN store ?

KAP said:

September 20th, 8:56 am

2@

I dont think it will, but its safe to say it will in very soon though, specially if GOW collections has anything to do with it.

They put that up on the store not long after disc release.

akab211 said:

September 20th, 8:56 am

I’m excited for both of them since I’ve never played them!

Axecution said:

September 20th, 8:57 am

AWESOME! Cant wait to pick this up next week =D

I was sorta hoping for a Last Guardian demo but that was clearly not happening haha. Looks awesome. :D

colonel005 said:

September 20th, 9:01 am

I am more excited to play ICO since I haven’t played it, but playing Shadow of the Colossus for the 5th time, now in HD will be awesome. I might want to collect all the lizards this time around.

Is the never-before-seen footage of The Last Guardian in form of a trailer, or is it just footage shown as developers speak in the video?

Brian Dunn's Avatar

Brian Dunn said:

September 20th, 12:51 pm

The new TLG footage can be seen in the 12-minute interview video.

Hope you enjoy the games, and the bonus content!

zombie9 said:

September 20th, 9:02 am

Man this is cool but I all ready own them on PS2. So will probably pass on it for awhile. Would have been cool if they added 3-D support for it but Don’t have a 3-D TV ether. so I’m SOL :)

adolson said:

September 20th, 9:02 am

Ok, just from the brief description, I say NICO must be made after TLG!

Ghost-of-SpartaX said:

September 20th, 9:10 am

I hoped for last guardian demo on the disk as bonus features .

Lethaldoseofmind said:

September 20th, 9:10 am

Okay. I think the whole HD thing is great and waiting for it.. But it is now 11:09 am Tuesday Sept. 20th and im just wondering when r u guys suppost to update things on Tuesdays cause the cod map packs come out instantly but regular things vary from mornings to afternoons even nights whats up with that? i just want my new games! >.<

Pendharker said:

September 20th, 9:13 am

I WANT THIS HD COLLECTION SO BAAAAAAAAD!!! I only got to play a little of Ico, but I still own (and sometimes play) Shadow of the Colossus. I think Shadow is one of the best games in video game history.

Attila57 said:

September 20th, 9:21 am

I can’t wait for this, one more week! I haven’t played ICO and that’s definitely the first game I’ll play.

The_Hpman said:

September 20th, 9:29 am

Still not worth an artbook.

Getting japanese pack and i’ll just youtube this joke of a bonus.

MarkakaJin said:

September 20th, 9:32 am

I won’t be getting the collection anytime soon. I wish I could get it day 1 and I really hope you guys have it as a digital version for the PSN like GOW collection. Cheers for ICO and Shadows of the Colossus to be finally remastered in HD for us Playstation fans!

Mattsta001 said:

September 20th, 9:54 am

I’ll probably pick up the disc version but as others have said there will likely be a digital version. This should have been simultaneous with the disc release.

ODINGameslayer said:

September 20th, 10:00 am

Been waiting years for this. I was “talked out of” getting ICO at the same time that I bought my PS2 by the store clerk. I still kick myself for that.

In any case, I did play SOTC and @10 was right: it’s one of the best ever. Younger players may not “get” it, as it’s pretty different than most games out today (think less GOW and more Flower) , but it definitely should not be ignored.

Mobius2525 said:

September 20th, 10:11 am

Can’t wait done have mine already paid for via credit.

EmoSaga said:

September 20th, 10:20 am

Pre-ordered and paid off, can’t wait for it to be released!

TheGuardianFID said:

September 20th, 10:22 am

MASTERPIECE pre-ordered, check!!! 8)

Android66 said:

September 20th, 10:24 am

@6: They did add 3D support. Look at the box art on Amazon or anywhere else. And 3D TV’s have dropped in price significantly, so that’s no excuse. :)

Android66 said:

September 20th, 10:28 am

And, BTW, if anyone is interested, the GOW Origins Collection is amazing in 3D. Hard to believe that these games were originally PSP titles. They feature some of the best 3D that I’ve ever seen in gaming to date–especially Ghost of Sparta. Seriously! I’m hoping that ICO and Shadow will both play excellent in 3D as well.

Lord_Rinja said:

September 20th, 10:32 am

I’m really excited about Shadow of the Colossus in HD. I own the original on my PS2. Its a great game but the PS2 Hardware wasn’t able to push this game as well as it should. Now, since the power of the PS3 is allowing this game to run at 30 FPS, it should play a lot smoother. SOTC was one the most beautiful games of the previous generation and it will be nice to see that the frame rate won’t be chugging on this new version.

I never had the opportunity to play ICO but I will definitely try it out since its on this collection. You have to admire the artistry in both games.

In the future, I would like to see The Mark of Kri and Rise of the Kesai get an HD Collection as well. Those are two great games from the PS2 era that didn’t get as much attention but they were incredible. Think of a Disney movie gone horribly wrong and the natives from Pocahontas are armed with swords and use them to stealth out their enemies. Or you can hack and slash away if you want to as well.

thekobal said:

September 20th, 10:39 am

I will buy this the first day !!!

Hint for the producers. Consider:
– Rule of rose
– Bully
– Okami

papolatte said:

September 20th, 10:41 am

I’m super excited for ICO.

Is there anything added in the games themselves, like some sort of extended gameplay or anything? Additional unlocks in Shadows or something akin to that? Either way, I already have this pre-ordered and can’t wait to play.

Please release The Last Guardian game soon though. I’ve had my pre-order for over a year and a half. As soon as it was announced, I payed in full, expecting a release that year. GameStop sucks in the fact that you can’t transfer your pre-orders to a new store, and I have since moved 3 hours away, but the 3 hour drive it’s going to take me to pick it up will be worth it methinks.

Brian Dunn's Avatar

Brian Dunn said:

September 20th, 12:54 pm

Juhal_1234 said:

September 20th, 10:46 am

Buying it

plz make it 15- 20 pounds in uk

infamous 2 good finished time for infamous 2 evil

Btw big question

do you need the ps move for festival of blood or can you use it for the standerd controlled

snake4308 said:

September 20th, 10:55 am

both!..both!

knicksrulez220 said:

September 20th, 10:55 am

Fantastic news! I am always interested with the behind the scenes videos. So now I got to choose between God of War Origins collection or this. Tough tough choice.

zombie9 said:

September 20th, 11:04 am

@Android66 they did make it in 3-D haven’t been paying that much attention to it since i own them both. might pick it up sooner but 3-D is still way to expensive for my blood. also I don’t know what 3-D looks like now a days I have a bad Eye and have never seen it…:) might not work for me?

EnigmaNemesis said:

September 20th, 11:18 am

Both!

But I will play them like I did when they came out. ICO first, then SotC!

One more week. So excited!

YungShep said:

September 20th, 11:30 am

PRE-ORDERED! cannot wait for this @1 its likely they will make a individual digital version of each, both God of War Origins and Collection both had individual digital releases, but only to PS PLUS

octus said:

September 20th, 11:34 am

mine is pre-ordered. i love both games and am looking forward to playing them in hd.

UNREALWINS said:

September 20th, 11:45 am

Nice! I’ll buy now!

lisatsunami said:

September 20th, 11:50 am

Since I never played either, I am looking forward to each, equally.
Yes, preordered, release day delivery.
But oh, oh, don’t have a 3DTV yet.
I’d better get a move on.

Oh, Move support would have made the package perfect. Just saying.

DrkrZen said:

September 20th, 12:49 pm

I’m definitely lookin’ forward to both this and the MGS HD Collection. I’ve played SotC a number of times since its release and absolutely love it, so I can’t wait to get into it again with trophies and HD visuals.

But ICO will be a first for me. Its so rare to see a copy on a store shelf, at least around here, so I never got the chance to own or play it. I’ve only seen it on a store shelf once in the last 9 years… lol and that was when I first got my PS2 – still kickin’ myself in the butt for not grabbing it, but I won’t be anymore come 9/27! :D

CEBREROS_BATUSAI said:

September 20th, 12:53 pm

will be available on the psn store????????

Charles_Surge said:

September 20th, 12:59 pm

Pre-ordered. Thanks for the reversible cover. :)

hush404 said:

September 20th, 1:01 pm

You don’t need to convince me.

Alyyse said:

September 20th, 1:44 pm

even though i haven’t played any of these games, i’m excited

angelspawn77 said:

September 20th, 1:58 pm

Definitely gonna be getting this next week, can’t wait!

D-Squad3 said:

September 20th, 2:17 pm

Okay I’m assuming it’s gonna be $39.99 but why don’t you guys put the price in the blog? Really dumb if you’re trying to sell it.

Digital-Big-Boss said:

September 20th, 2:44 pm

I’ll be getting this collection day 1 for sure.

MinionX83 said:

September 20th, 2:56 pm

Can’t wait to play these in HD! Having played both for the PS2 there is no doubt in my mind that these games are absolute masterpieces!

t36066 said:

September 20th, 2:59 pm

I wonder will it really come with bonus content like God of war orgins was suppose to have. Which was false … I mean lie

AceBeeDee said:

September 20th, 3:01 pm

so there, so ready!

ferhound said:

September 20th, 3:23 pm

Im just waiting for Shadow of the Colossus.

Dont care about ICO but will try it… again…

Apeman24 said:

September 20th, 3:30 pm

Can’t wait, I will be getting platinums for both of these titles, though they may be a little tough.

RowzRamirez said:

September 20th, 3:57 pm

The comment made in the video referring to wanting to make a game that leaves an impression on people, I cannot tell you how successful the developers have been in that goal. I first played Shadow of the Colossus when I was thirteen years old, and now, almost twenty, I still am in complete love with the game. The type of love that was put into making Shadow of the Colossus, is the same type of love I felt when I played The Ocarina of Time, a legendary masterpiece game that changed everything for us all. Shadow of the Colossus is a legend that was created way before its time. It will live on forever in the hearts of people played the game and felt the love, connecting them all through out eternity. That, my friends, is exactly what gaming is all about.

procion said:

September 20th, 5:41 pm

Hullo from Aotearoa – Land of the Long White Cloud and also The Real land of the Rising Sun. We are enjoying Rubgy World Cup down here at the moment in New Zealand, but I’m tearing myself away from the matches in anticipation of the God of War Collection 2 which we occidentals got 2 weeks late and Ico/Shadow which we are getting on time same week as GoWC2. I’d like to say how much I am looking forward to playing Shadow again(fond memories of Erasure’s then new album Light at the End of the World that went so well with the game). Well Erasure are releasing new album Tomorrow’s World & that will coincide nicely with playing Shadow to & discovering Ico as well. Kia ora tatou…

SlaughteredNinja said:

September 20th, 6:04 pm

I don’t know when I’ll get this.

Daojones said:

September 20th, 7:07 pm

“Brian Dunn on September 20th, 2011 at 12:54 pm said:

The version of ICO in this collection is actually the European/Japanese version, with special unlocks after you complete the game once.”

You made my day!

Hooligantuan said:

September 20th, 8:50 pm

Had this preordered since like March.

Itching to redo those time trials for MONTHS now, lemme tell ya.

PAGE 1 2