Overwatch

Sep 22

Sep 22

Battlefield 3 Expansions to Hit PS3 First, Open Beta on PSN 9/29

Tommy Rydling's Avatar Posted by Senior Community Manager, DICE

This is Tommy Rydling from DICE, and I’ve got two exciting pieces of news to share with PlayStation.Blog readers. First, we are very happy to announce the dates for the eagerly awaited Battlefield 3 Open Beta on PSN. The Beta is open to all and will run from September 29th to October 10th. You can join it by simply going to the going the PlayStation Store and navigating to the “View All By Title” section, then selecting Battlefield 3 – within there you’ll see the download for the Battlefield 3 demo!

Battlefield 3 for PS3

Prepare for battle in the bombed-out metro tunnels on the outskirts of Paris in the upcoming Battlefield 3 Open Beta!

Alternatively, if you have redeemed a Medal of Honor: Limited Edition or Tier 1 Edition Online Pass, you will receive early access via a personal email invitation from DICE that includes 48-hour early access, which will allow you to start playing on September 27th.

The Open Beta is your chance to play Battlefield 3 early, try out our free social platform Battlelog, and give your valued feedback directly to those of us at DICE. You participating in the Battlefield 3 Open Beta means that you are not only helping us load test the servers, but more importantly, helping us fine-tune the final components of the multiplayer game.

During your time in the Open Beta, you’ll be playing on the map Operation Métro – a map you might have seen coverage of from E3, where we won the Best Multiplayer Game award.

Battlefield 3 for PS3

But that’s not all for our PlayStation fans! You’ll be happy to know that beginning with our first expansion pack Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand (to be released later this year), all full-blown upcoming expansion packs for the game will appear one week early exclusively on PS3, brought to you by Sony!

As you may or may not have heard, Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand is a themed expansion pack containing four of the most loved maps from Battlefield 2, boldly reimagined in the Frostbite 2 engine. It also features new weapons and vehicles, unique in-game dog tags, new persistence, as well as new Trophies.

Make sure to stay tuned for more on the PS3 version of Battlefield 3 and all things related. And do let us know what you think of the Beta once it’s up and running. For more stories on Battlefield 3, feel free to check out the official Battlefield blog where I post from behind the scenes under the name “H Brun”.

I also wanted to say thank you for your continued support for DICE and Battlefield 3. Meeting our fans in person is always very rewarding and exciting. We went to gamescom with the PS3 co-op mission Exfiltration, and at Tokyo Game Show we let visitors play the single player mission Operation Guillotine. The response so far has been overwhelming, and we look forward to showing you more action from Battlefield 3 before the North American launch on October 25th.

Add Your Own

desiredfx2009 said:

September 22nd, 8:00 am

That’s great news Must say It will be nice to get the dlc first, I have mine paid for as well at GS and cant wait for the call to go pick it up.
And yes Open beta, I will grab PC and PS3 version and have a go at both of those Got my reminder set to help me remember. ( 2 kids and a wife I forget things )

loborodas said:

September 22nd, 8:04 am

This is great news. I love the Battlefield series and getting the DLC early is always nice. Way to go :)

DrPhiill said:

September 22nd, 8:06 am

This is nothing else but awesome news!! See you guys on the beta next week! can’t wait for the real thing!

Zoryu_of_Setsuna said:

September 22nd, 8:07 am

+ Vortuminius

That’s because it is, a lot of my 360 friends say it doesn’t run as good on 360 than it does on PS3. Kind of like how CoD runs better on 360.

But either way, it doesn’t matter I’ll play a game no matter how better it is on a certain system anyway.

M-Easy said:

September 22nd, 8:12 am

This is nothing but GREAT news!

JustinSaneV2 said:

September 22nd, 8:17 am

One week isn’t really a big deal. However, the month wait for DLC on another game…

SnDin9 said:

September 22nd, 8:24 am

Sweeeet! One more point for BF3! Can’t wait for early access on the 27th.

eaglefan129 said:

September 22nd, 8:28 am

a week vs a month?(COD:BO) hey at least its something

EggySong85 said:

September 22nd, 8:30 am

I concur with 4, Move support, please!!! Would rather have that than week-early DLC any day.

DOOMkillz said:

September 22nd, 8:33 am

Can’t wait to play the beta!

twistedfloyd said:

September 22nd, 8:33 am

Looking forward to the beta. I definitely want this game (everything’s looked insane!), but wanted to try before I buy. This gives me the opportunity to! Thanks Sony and DICE! As for the DLC, I can wait on that, but mostly looking forward to beta.

BOSTONJOHN32 said:

September 22nd, 8:36 am

playstation & dice , THUMBS WAY UP

not only is it great for the playstation nations “morale” but also maybe this will put an end or at the least open the door for equality in regards to dlc’s..

although i am happy and do think its well deserved and feel like “its about time” i also remember how crappy it felt for getting the shaft for alot of content/dlc’s etc. and i just hope that eventually consoles will be able to have the same content at the same time, when it is released.. our money is just as good as the other systems and likewise. so hopefully this will be the beginning of maybe having equal rights to content when it becomes avail.
is this a low blow to the other system? yes, but we have been hit in the gut for a long time w/ certain franchises and i am happy we get this content, but dont get enjoyment out of the “ha ha we got it first” because it is a bad feeling when feeling like getting “hand me downs”. so this might just break the ice in the long run for release dates of content

ButtersThaatsMe said:

September 22nd, 8:37 am

It would be nice if the DLC was free like BC2

Tommy Rydling's Avatar

Tommy Rydling said:

September 23rd, 5:10 am

The expansion pack Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand comes at no extra charge if you pre-order Battlefield 3: Limited Edition. It will release Winter 2011.

R_Navarro said:

September 22nd, 8:40 am

If you like BF3, BlackOps or MW3, Add me on PS3 R_Navarro #PSN

QUEENS-NYC said:

September 22nd, 8:40 am

Is 1943 still on the blu-ray? No has mentioned it in a while!

BOSTONJOHN32 said:

September 22nd, 8:41 am

@ 64 , that would be awesome.
even though there was a v.i.p. pass and a expansion in b2 i feel that it was worth it in regards to content if one did have to pay for it and the v. expansion was worth every penny in my eyes..

cant wait to have this game..

Korbei83 said:

September 22nd, 8:42 am

I understand why you guys are doing this. I still don’t condone it.

Ghost-of-SpartaX said:

September 22nd, 8:45 am

whatever still not a game of the year contender

BOSTONJOHN32 said:

September 22nd, 8:45 am

@ ghost-of-spartax
skyrim?

FredPunella said:

September 22nd, 8:47 am

skyrim…GOTY???

LOL

BOSTONJOHN32 said:

September 22nd, 8:49 am

@ FRED
exactly i was asking sparta for his opinion..

and i dont know if its that lol..
what do you think will be goty?
im pretty sure what it will be, whats your thoughts

aro52 said:

September 22nd, 8:52 am

To everyone complaining that it’s “only a week?! Not a month, like CoD?!”… It just shows that DICE and Sony aren’t [DELETED], like Activi$ion and Micro$oft! To be honest, I don’t condone ANY exclusivity (timed or otherwise), but at least we came out on the good end this time! ;)

BOSTONJOHN32 said:

September 22nd, 8:52 am

i would give mine but TROLLS may engage w/ fishing rod..

JonJonXD said:

September 22nd, 8:54 am

Sounds like all sorts of awesome to me!

DoTheKiller91 said:

September 22nd, 9:02 am

Lol, i am so clumsy! A few days ago i LOST my pre-order receipt! 10$ in the garbage, i just can’t find it at all! BUT don’t worrie, when i first pre-ordered Battlefield 3 it was only the “standard” version, but now my brother told me that he saw Best-Buy had some Battlefield 3 Limited Edition pre-orders, so thats even better. Might go and pre-order BF3 all over again! Hoping that this time i won’t lose the damn receipt hahahahahaha…. : /

DoTheKiller91 said:

September 22nd, 9:03 am

It’s nice to see that we get the DLC’s a week sooner and that we also get Battlefield 1943 for free.

Fusion13 said:

September 22nd, 9:11 am

HA HA HAAA GREAT NEWS!

BOSTONJOHN32 said:

September 22nd, 9:11 am

@ 76, i think gamestop is doing the same and including the back to k map/dlc..
is it in the computer w/ your name? sometimes it isnt .. well bottom line is, your getting it :)

b16ctr said:

September 22nd, 9:16 am

THANK YOU “H Brun” BEST GAME PERIOD!!!

LilWayneSuckz said:

September 22nd, 9:20 am

Yay! I’m not fond of timed exclusives but Microsoft does it for CoD so Sony should have it for this

EPRaider08 said:

September 22nd, 9:22 am

Awesome! I preordered this a while back and can’t wait to try out the beta

I just have one question (for Tommy or whoever might know): What is the file size for the beta?

DaNTi3L said:

September 22nd, 9:33 am

that’s awesome cant wait to play the beta

BOSTONJOHN32 said:

September 22nd, 9:35 am

well off 2 play b2, lol
if anyone is going on add me if you want.

beta is right around the corner! love it

solidnight said:

September 22nd, 9:38 am

SO I TAKE IT WE DONT HAVE TO BE PLUS USER TO GET THE BF3 BETA

sciroccopsn said:

September 22nd, 9:39 am

What’s the deal with those online passes? If I spend my money on a game I want it to work properly, as soon as I open the box, since I wasn’t the only one having trouble REDEEMING an online pass. It said it was either incorrect or expired. That’s a load of bull on your side. All i’m saying, put more thought into the quality of a product, not the quantity of material you release. Cheers!

TheJLC said:

September 22nd, 9:40 am

@84 Nope.

TheJLC said:

September 22nd, 9:41 am

Already pre-ordered, and can’t wait for the BETA. :)

SquishyKillFace said:

September 22nd, 9:42 am

Hmmn dont really care for the timed DLC but this is a good move by sony. Microsoft pretty much forced their hand with their COD timed DLC.

I can’t wait for this game. COD just lost its appeal to me.

ImL3et1 said:

September 22nd, 9:45 am

Looking for people to play the beta when it comes out!! Add me so we can go own some fools!!!

SquishyKillFace said:

September 22nd, 9:50 am

@85 hey I used to work at gamestop and they let employees check out games to try out…Even brand new, unopened games with online passes. I had one of these and when I got home It was entirely up to me whether or not to redeem the online pass for the game which would eventually be returned and repackaged and sold as new…

Not a very professional business practice in my opinon. That could be the reason though

WastelandDan said:

September 22nd, 9:53 am

REALLY good move guys!

excaliber45 said:

September 22nd, 9:54 am

This makes me very happy and changes my mind about getting this game. Definitely a must-buy for me now even though I probably won’t touch the online :)

Arcadian_Rebel said:

September 22nd, 9:55 am

Can’t wait to try the beta! Bring it on!

CGT-VTS_POA-55 said:

September 22nd, 9:56 am

It´s quite nice….almost good, but not that great. One week vs One Month on CoD, even more on some games. I agree that it´s an improvement, but I´m sure that you can do more for us. C´mon Sony show your teeths against M$ and their monopoly attempt!!! More content on BD, coz we don´t have to pay for the lack of room on M$ DVDand we deserve the developers respect and at least same week releases!!! Don´t leave M$ level the competition by hiding their incompetence when demands same content and “paid delay for us”.

Ethereal said:

September 22nd, 9:58 am

Nice little extra for us PS3 fans. Thanks Sony, can’t wait to test out the beta and help ya fine tune the game for release!

Kedaro said:

September 22nd, 10:00 am

AWWWWW YEAW!!!

Destiny89 said:

September 22nd, 10:08 am

Thank you for making this happen, at least now we PSfans wont feel like second tier users for always getting stuff late. looking forward to BF3

NDubbaYa said:

September 22nd, 10:13 am

Timed exclusives suck. When will people see that.

makyengo said:

September 22nd, 10:38 am

This is Awesome! Thank you both, Sony and Dice!

nikrel said:

September 22nd, 10:45 am

Thank you DICE, I love the battlefield games they are leaps and bounds over CoD.

Prepare to be bown away, I played the Alpha and it was better than any cod released to date.