Knack 2

Sep 26

Sep 26

Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Trilogy Deploys on PS3 Blu-ray, PSN Tuesday

Alex Monney's Avatar Posted by Communications Manager, Perfect World Entertainment

Reliving classic gaming memories is one of my favorite things to do. I vividly remember playing Splinter Cell Chaos Theory on PlayStation 2. Did I have a ton of fun? Yes. How long did I have Sam Fisher fumble around in those curtains? Way too long. Would I want to do that all over again with HD and 3D? Absolutely.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Trilogy for PS3

The time has come, because Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Trilogy finally comes to the PS3 on Tuesday. Tuesday. Even better, we will be launching simultaneously in stores and on the PlayStation Store. Relive the experiences of Splinter Cell, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory all in one overstuffed bundle.

The Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Trilogy will be available at your favorite gaming store and the PlayStation Store for $39.99. I think what makes reliving old gaming memories is hearing other’s experiences. What did you all think of the original Splinter Cell trilogy? I still need to play the first two so stay away from spoilers, por favor.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Trilogy for PS3

Add Your Own

ROLO_ONFIRE said:

September 26th, 1:22 pm

@10 Hitokiri_03: thanks for the link man, don’t support these lazy ports

Type-F- said:

September 26th, 2:01 pm

Are we ever going to get Splinter Cell: Double Agent and Conviction on the PS3?

Type-F- said:

September 26th, 2:27 pm

Will I ever get an answer btw? I never do when I post in this blog =[

txmusician13 said:

September 26th, 2:42 pm

I heard somewhere that there isn’t an option to have inverted analog controls. Can you confirm or debunk this?

thundercat17 said:

September 26th, 2:45 pm

dear ubisoft,

can you tell your people to get the hell out of playstation blog, and stick their games on their *****

ubisoft hater

Sneeches said:

September 26th, 2:49 pm

Can anyone confirm if there is inverted Y in this game? I’ve heard that there isn’t and if not then I wont buy it!!!

KGH said:

September 26th, 2:52 pm

Any additional contnt included with this bundle?

KAP said:

September 26th, 3:08 pm

@56

No there isn’t dude.. That’s the problem with these lazy ports.

JDivine911 said:

September 26th, 3:15 pm

will it be on a discount one time on psn?

Type-F- said:

September 26th, 3:44 pm

will the one that are exclusive to 360 ever come to PS3? damn it i want to know so i can get the whole collection on ps3

clupula668 said:

September 26th, 3:55 pm

Never played any of this series. I’d be curious to buy one of them on the PSN and then the rest, if I like it. Would that be possible?

JeffinVegas04 said:

September 26th, 3:59 pm

I think it S.U.C.K.S. that at the European PSN store you can buy these games individually but here in America WE ONLY GET THE TRILOGY AS A WHOLE PACKAGE THAT BITES.. I already gave up on microsoft soon to be Sony guess i’ll go get Onlive

time17 said:

September 26th, 4:01 pm

how much will it cost

Nightfalconn said:

September 26th, 5:01 pm

WHAAAAAT? Did I hear correct that there is no multiplayer? That was the lone factor in determining if I bought this, the multiplayer for these games was the most fun ive ever had on a video game, and IMO the best multiplayer game on the ps2(besides BF modern combat). If it is true, i am truly dissapointed that they missed this opportunity to provide gamers with a link to the past. ever since they made double agent the Multiplayer has been horrible, they completely changed it from chaos theory, they made it a shooter, and when they did that it could not compete with duty or BF as a shooter. they need to bring back the old multiplayer that I played and love,

Genexi2 said:

September 26th, 5:07 pm

/\

So what exactly happened to the whole sharper & stylized look to the textures shown in those pics from five months ago?

I’m looking at some videos and screencaps of the European release of the trilogy and it doesn’t look anything like the pictures in your blod post from back then. It hardly looks any different from what I recall of the PC copies I own.

DavGerm4 said:

September 26th, 5:30 pm

I already paid my money for ICO & Shadow of the Colossus! Why didn’t anyone tell me this was the same day?!

jdoub5678 said:

September 26th, 6:40 pm

Dear playstation is this a suprise i never heard of this game coming out well this trilogy I would like to thank playstation for being the best company in the world and will continue being the best company in the world

cdefomn said:

September 26th, 7:53 pm

When the holidays come im definitely picking this up. Is it me or does this generation of games lack the quality of stealth games than the former generation?

ROKKSINGER said:

September 26th, 8:06 pm

The MULTIPLAYER of these games (i.e., spy vs. merc) was the best gaming experience I have had to date…and I’ve been playing video games since Atari and “pong.” It is so disappointing that the online (i.e., spy vs. merc) component is not returning. There have been many posts asking one question…why? I don’t recall seeing any response. Is it money?, etc. It would certainly be appreciated to have an answer to this. Otherwise, multiplayer fans (i.e., spy vs. merc) fans, including myself, do not feel as if there is a sense of “caring” by Ubisoft. Alex? Any other dev able to shed some light on this? Please? I pulled my pre-order on the Trilogy since the multiplayer is not included. I still play Double-Agent (spy vs. merc) since that is the only (but good) option to play spies vs. mercenaries. However, I truly miss Chaos Theory’s spy vs. merc. There is no other game that provides the gameplay that the spy vs. merc games provided…sheer genius. Such a shame it isn’t coming back in this release…

Slym said:

September 26th, 9:08 pm

Now if only Ubisoft would put conviction on ps3, my suggestion, have another collection, with doulbe agent essentials, and conviction all with trophies.

Warped said:

September 26th, 9:28 pm

@RE_Player no need to make space, you have a ps3! upgrade your harddrive…..this isn’t That box thingy

KainDrake said:

September 26th, 10:37 pm

Seriously. What is it with commenters always asking about a new ps3 or psn game, “will there be trophies?” Yes, there will be trophies! Do your research. Sony made them manditory a few years back! Let x represent every game that will be announced and released for the ps3/psn that isn’t a psone game nor a mini. Now plug it into this equation.

x=Yes, you idiot! That game has trophies.

ein_nineteenth said:

September 26th, 10:40 pm

Meh. Double Agent and Chaos Theory were the best ones hands down, I really liked them and I was very upset when the rest of the games weren’t worth playing. Especially Essentials and Conviction, whoo boy.

At least Thief and Metal Gear Solid made sense if you played all the games. You play Essentials and there goes coherence flying out the window.

Anyway , Why don’t people just you know, turn on their PS2s and play these games?
It’s not like Splinter Cell was anything noteworthy, you can walk into any Gamestop or Game Express and find all three games for less than 20 dollars.

buddymanna said:

September 26th, 11:15 pm

The Splinter Cell Trilogy was great, and Ubisoft added new stuff with each game. By the third game Sam had a wide variety of moves and a diverse inventory. SplinterCells are well trained and well equiped for sure. They were probably still are the most realistic stealth/action games out there, if not , then at least definately one of them. Worthy of note, they had solid gameplay, good graphics, interesting characters, followed by decent story. There was some humor at times too.

RMH-Oilers said:

September 26th, 11:16 pm

The U.K.version was released about a month ago and the feed back from most forums ex.www.ps3trophies.org and reviews ex.Gamespot 6 out of 10 have been extremly negative. I hope since we have waited an additional month the N.A. version has been improved?

buddymanna said:

September 26th, 11:23 pm

OH YOU GUYS WILL LOVE THIS: one time I was stuck in the first game because i forgot how to knock out the guy after an interegation. Some covert opperative I turned out to be, right? One time some guy yelled “say hello to my little friend !” as he was shooting at me. I startled my friend by sending a body falling down an elevator shaft just as he was looking up; another friend of mine, nearly knocked me out by falling on me during the co-op. Since this bundle is just the games itself only, is there any chance of making a separate SpliterCell disc with the co-op campain and the multiplayer? Or just the online? How about just the co-op as downloadable content?

buddymanna said:

September 26th, 11:25 pm

Triva: Did you know that Sam Fisher was a navy seal before he was a splinter cell?

KnightRid said:

September 27th, 5:07 am

These bring back memories! I think I had 1 or 2 on the PS2 and all of them on the PC.

No multiplayer? (online or online and local?)

3d – how many people really care? Seriously, not being a tard but just curious since most people I talk to online or in person do not care at all about 3d.

Download available!!! WOOHOO – oh wait, you are giving me a discount since you don’t have to have the packaging, shipping charges to retailers, etc? No? Well then I will take the box version. Another item I never understood. You have the bandwidth already for the online play so why do you have to charge as much for the downloadable version? No sense to it. Although people will still download it even if you charged more just so they don’t have to wait or go out of the house ;)

Anyway, all in all I think it will be a fun release. At $40 with no online multiplayer, I think I will wait for it to hit the $20 range to pick it up.

HeavyD-Love said:

September 27th, 5:50 am

Thank you #43. I was about to say the same thing……….again.

How can we find out if they added the much needed y axis invert option in this US release prior to purchase? MANY people prefer to play that way, the option WAS IN all 3 original Splinter Cell games, and was NOT included in the EU/UK releases, MANY people are upset because to them it’s literally unplayable.

Please Sony…………..Please advise.

Thank you.

PerfectConsumer said:

September 27th, 6:33 am

This game has been one of my most anticipated games since I read about its existence last year, but I absolutely can’t play it unless I can confirm that it has the “INVERT Y” option. Can someone please confirm or deny the presence of this deal-breaking feature? I’ve been to several forums (including the Ubisoft official one) and I can’t seem to find out whether or not the US version offers the ability to change to controls. Ubisoft seems to just ignore the sea of questions coming from the enthusiastic community and hope that they all go away.

PerfectConsumer said:

September 27th, 6:40 am

Hey Ubisoft: if we don’t get an answer regarding the controls, we’ll assume that the Invert Y axis feature isn’t included in the US release, and will just spend our money elsewhere. There are way too many game choices out there right now to be playing a game of 20 questions with an Ubisoft sales rep. Even a simple confirmation like, “we’re working on a Y axis patch,” would be great news.

Motherboop said:

September 27th, 7:15 am

3 Plats! Thanks for not pulling a Capcom and giving us a bunch of bronze :) Will be picking this up for sure, although will be looking for it on sale on Black Friday with nobody running deals on it this week. Ico seems to have a special in multiple stores, so will be going with that for now.

RedDawnPR said:

September 27th, 8:41 am

The reason they r not answering is because they want ppl to buy it. If they answer now they will lose $$. If it had inverted y axis they would have answer by now .

PerfectConsumer said:

September 27th, 8:56 am

Yeah, I agree RedDawn… the silence suggests that they haven’t changed anything since the UK release. It makes me really, really sad, because I have a 3D TV and the Splinter Cell series is one of my all time favorites. I know they said they were ‘looking into a patch’ for the Y-axis problem, and that it would take 6-8 weeks when the UK players complained, but it’s been 6 weeks, and we still have no news. How about an update on the Y-axis change, Alex? Come on… pretty please?

Agent_Jackel said:

September 27th, 11:18 am

Will there be an add-on for multiplayer?

HeavyD-Love said:

September 27th, 11:56 am

Hmm……..how can i be sure someone from Sony is reading this and all the previous comments on the same subject matter….

PerfectConsumer said:

September 27th, 12:15 pm

I read in the Ubisoft official Splinter Cell forum somebody has practically confirmed that the invert Y isn’t there in the US version either. I can’t be positive that it’s the US version, but he said he bought it today, so I’m assuming.

Here’s the comment. It’s the most recent post (the last one) on this thread:

It’s a strange thing to wait a year for one of your most anticipated purchases only to find out that they didn’t include something so basic. Well, guess I’ll just spend the money on the Team Ico collection, then. Funny thing is, if Ubisoft would pull their heads out of the sand and tell me when I could expect a patch, I would wait, as I have done these many months. I love the games that much. But I’m through waiting now. And I’d just like to say, in case someone at Ubisoft is reading these emails, this wait has been a horrible experience… worst game launch I’ve ever experienced.

Hatchetforce said:

September 27th, 1:37 pm

@HeavyD-Love

No. There is no option. I tried all 3 games on the disk and all of them have the Invert Y removed.

I was dumb enough to buy the retail option thinking they would fix this. It has been out in the EU for a month. Surely they would get to it before the US release. I know that Ubisoft’s Splinter Cell team doesn’t especially care for the PS3 but this is absurd. A feature that was in the originals is now removed. It seems impossible that this accidentally made it past QA. The only conclusion that fits is it was either left out on purpose or once realized it was too late and Ubisoft opted to take the money and run. I

am not a cheapskate. There is a reason I have a Legendary Tag. If there were levels beyond that I would likely be past those as well. But neither do I like getting shafted over a feature that became standard in the 90’s.

Hatchetforce said:

September 27th, 1:41 pm

What I find most disconcerting is the entire second page of posts was full of questions about the Invert Y option and not one person from the PS Blog had the decency to post a response. Alex Monney stated he would look into the issue but probably did not like what he found. I do not wish to sound harsh but the lack of any response when staff are aware leaves little room for other conclusions. I own 3 PS3s including a 60GB launch model, 2 PSPs and am number one on the list at the local Gamestop for a 3G Vita. I am a huge Sony supporter through thick and thin. But someone needs to pony up and provide a response.

RedOMagnus said:

September 27th, 2:35 pm

Why can’t I buy this yet? Is it not being put out on PSN today? I thought they were having simultaneous store and psn release. wtf?

Ricopitote said:

September 27th, 5:04 pm

No online MP? No invert Y axis? Damn, this half azzed HD port sucks! BIG FAIL!!

ROKKSINGER said:

September 28th, 9:57 am

I see all the posts regarding no response for the inverted Y axis. Unfortunately, there has also been no response or no explanation as to why the multiplayer was not included in the Trilogy or why the multiplayer (i.e., spy vs. merc) has been completely terminated from the series…at least so far. It’s frustrating and very disappointing to not have responses to sincere questions posted by fans and interested players. If Ubisoft and/or the devs want to maintain the Splinter Cell fans that are left, they need to be much more responsive.

SeventhWard said:

September 29th, 2:20 am

I was SUPER pumped to pick this up after the numerous delays and now it’s totally unplayable for me. The reason? No option to Invert the Y Axis. As much as I love Splinter Cell and Sam Fisher, right now this game is $40 wasted.

Merrick97 said:

September 29th, 1:16 pm

They really need to fix the lack of inverting a Y-axis. I will seriously find a number to call Ubisoft and raise hell about this.

Seriously how does something like that not make it through QC.

I know the answer!

There was no QC.

PSYCHOTOE said:

September 30th, 8:23 am

I really don’t understand what is happening between Sony and Developers this generation. We as gamers have been so patient but there is only so much we can take with timed exclusives, bad ports, no inverted Y-Axis??? Seriously?? There is no reason why a simple setting like that would not be included or removed. I moved from PC gaming to console gaming cause I thought I can just pop in a game and play with no hassle, but I can’t believe how complicated this all got. Just give us the settings and we will use them or not…..simple! I don’t want to be told from a developer how to play a game when I’m paying for it. Man Sony has gotten the shaft this gen, it’s getting ridiculous.

No Y-Axis…what a joke!

REDBEARD416 said:

October 3rd, 9:58 am

well i just got off the phone with ubisoft and i was told they have no plans to patch the invert y option for the splintercell hd triology. The woman i spoke to was dismissive and rude and said invert y is a matter of opinion and is not an industry standard. I don’t want to join the invert/normal debate but when almost every game on the market for the past twenty years has it i would say it is pretty much an industry standard, my shelf is filled with ubi games, but splintercell will be my last ubisoft purchase, maybe if i spoke french i would have gotten a warmer reception, ubi you guys release the game in E.U and heard the feedback regarding invert y so then you ignore it and release in U.S and still don”t add it 40 bucks down the drain for me as ubi sits on piles of money that people like me helped u attain, you guys have no class

PerfectConsumer said:

October 4th, 12:11 pm

Personal preference? Of course it’s not a preference… just like left handed people don’t choose that, it’s just the way they are.

You know I think I have a better example of a personal preference… buying all future Ubisoft games used.

Merrick97 said:

October 5th, 6:31 am

Redbeard416,

Who did you call and what number did you use?

I will be MORE than happy to call them myself and politely (ALWAYS BE POLITE FIRST) express my frustration.

I can also get more people to call and complain.

Ubisoft might have no choice but to address the issue.

Merrick97 said:

October 5th, 3:01 pm

Hey guys,

Call the following number for Ubisoft Tech support: 919-460-9778 and complain about the invert issue. That is the US tech support number.

Other countries are listed here:

The Ubisoft tech rep told me that he had a few people call about the issue, but the more people that call to complain the more important the issue becomes. He basically admitted it was a numbers game. If people leave their complaining to the internet and messageboards NOTHING will get done, but if you call the [DELETED] out of them and get everyone else to do the same, the chances increase dramatically.

For those who don’t have an invert issue I am hoping you will have the goodwill to also voice your complaints. Please do this.

Also dont limit yourself to the invert issue, mention trophies not unlocking and such.

LET THEM KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REDBEARD416 said:

October 6th, 9:46 am

Hey Merrick,
ya i believe i used the 919 number, basically i was told that a patch is made when something is actually wrong with the game, so because i have played inverted for like 20 years i guess there is something wrong with me, and all these people who say why don’t you just play the game with the “normal” look controls can stuff it, i would like to see these guys pick up call of duty and switch their controls to inverted and see how easy it is to switch. If you don’t like that i play inverted good for you but don’t tell me i should adapt its just not worth my time and frustration when just about every game in the universe has it. It is obvious they are not going to do anything about this and i find it hard to believe that no one at ubi has noticed all the web talk about this issue. It been public knowledge amongst gamers that they could care less what we think, and i regret the years of support i have given to this scrub company.