Farpoint

Sep 29

Sep 29

Chrono Trigger Hits PSN This Tuesday

Charles McCarter's Avatar Posted by Product Manager, Square Enix

What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the words “Chrono Trigger?” I’m sure a lot of things, but I bet the first thing on your mind right now is “When can I get it?”

We’re happy to confirm that Chrono Trigger is coming to the PSN in North America on October 4th. That’s right—in just a few days, you’ll be able to visit (or re-visit, as I’m sure is the case for many of you) one of the most hilarious and unique casts of characters ever assembled in an RPG:

Crono: The spiky-haired, stoic protagonist who finds himself wrapped up in events beyond his control. He’s pretty good with a katana and doesn’t run from a fight.

Marle: The requisite princess, but she’s no ordinary princess. How many princesses do you know that wield a crossbow?

Lucca: Chrono’s best friend since they were little kids. Oh, and she’s a supergenius who invents things such as the teleporter that starts your journey through time.

Frog: A knight from the middle ages, Frog is a man who has been cursed and turned into a giant anthropomorphic frog. But being a frog doesn’t prevent him from being a fantastic fighter—and having one of the coolest special attacks in the game.

Robo: A robot from the future (I’ve always wanted to write that) who, after being repaired by Lucca, joins the party. Yes, a robot. With lasers!

Ayla: Hailing from prehistoric times, Ayla is tough. Really tough. She uses her enormous strength and agility to fight unarmed, and dishes out a lot of damage.

Travel through time to put things right and defeat the evil Lavos before he destroys everything!

There’s more than one way to save the world, of course, and Chrono Trigger respects that. In fact, the game has always been highly regarded for the number of different endings available. Have you got them all? If not, the time has come.

Robo, Lucca, Marle, Frog, Ayla, and Chrono are waiting for you.

Add Your Own

Kedaro said:

September 30th, 11:11 am

Chrono Trigger and Dark Souls on October 4th, my birthday on the 9th… Too good to be true…

Mosh_Pit said:

September 30th, 11:34 am

Well I still have this game. Nice but no buy for me.

rabidninjamonky said:

September 30th, 11:43 am

@92 I agree with you about Lost Odyssey, great game. I heard they were going to announce lost odyssey 2 for ps3 and it was supposed to be announced at E3. But it didn’t happen. Blue Dragon was also a good game. I think Mistwalker is the only good jrpg maker around these days. I’ll be buying chrono trigger day 1 for sure though. I never got around to playing this game, so I’m pumped. Not quite as as pumped as i would be if it were Dragon warrior 7 though. hint, hint

WastelandDan said:

September 30th, 12:03 pm

This is a good thing…

GilgameshVIII said:

September 30th, 12:33 pm

I’ve been waiting years!

Roxas91317 said:

September 30th, 3:18 pm

So wait, is it comming out as a PSone classic or an updated PSN title?

Roxas91317 said:

September 30th, 3:20 pm

Well I guess it really doesn’t matter. :P

JEC94 said:

September 30th, 5:40 pm

Crono looks like Tapion

MarinoBrea said:

September 30th, 7:57 pm

A Masterpiece that truly passed the TEST OF TIME! (pun absolutely intended!)

WaveLightning777 said:

September 30th, 8:22 pm

Under normal circumstances I’d be THRILLED…. the problem is the words “Final Fantasy VI” echo in my mind…

And I don’t wanna spend 20 bucks for wii points that I’ll only use 800 of…

CynicalNerd said:

September 30th, 9:08 pm

lol it only took 5 comments before someone complained and asked about FF6.

As I said a few days ago, I told you they wouldn’t release both games at the same time. It would make no sense for the same company to release two games of the same genre at the same time.

Luis_div said:

September 30th, 9:51 pm

hell yeah!

CaptenMidnite said:

September 30th, 9:58 pm

Yea I bet it’s the one with the load times.

Dark_Yashiro said:

September 30th, 10:03 pm

Next is Chrono Cross, right? =D

rh_underhill said:

September 30th, 10:26 pm

no, next I want Koudelka.

kirac91 said:

October 1st, 12:16 am

I really am Looking forward to CT because I had the game when i was 12, but from what my dad told me i guess my old babysitter and her boyfriend were stealing stuff from the house so i never got to try it, how ever I just turned 20 today so I’m really looking forward to getting the as a download for my psp.

SephTiger said:

October 1st, 12:39 am

But what about Chrono Cross?!

CynicalNerd said:

October 1st, 10:50 am

Why would you want Koudelka? That game is extremely dated and was only liked by a niche group of people. It was ok, I heard a lot about it from a friend back then who said it was amazing but when I played it I was not amazed. I would rate it a 6 out of 10 at best. Its a game that Shadow Hearts fans seem to love…all 3 of those fans.

Point is, its not something everyone wants so why bother getting it esrb rated and released?

OffbeatFoetus said:

October 1st, 12:24 pm

Any word on an EU release? Please???

midnightshade said:

October 1st, 12:54 pm

Nice…

Now please release:

Chrono Chross
Legend of Dragoon
FF Anthologies (FF5 and FF6)
Suikoden 2
Crusaders of Might and Magic
Diablo
Civilization 2
Fear Effect 1 and 2
Hexen
Heritic

Oh I know i am forgetting some but there are tons of PS1 classics yet to be released on PSN… I buy every one (well minus the sports and children’s games.. as i don’t buy them on current gen either)

midnightshade said:

October 1st, 12:55 pm

oh, and thank you… we don’t get enough JRPGS this gen. I take any I can get!!! Persona 2 on PSP is great, will install this next! Thank you.

midnightshade said:

October 1st, 1:02 pm

And by jrpg i mean the ones like the ps1/ps2 era…to many today are lollipop girl jrps… I miss the days when jrpgs were epic save the world adventures not lollipop pre-pubescent crafting games.

So far we have had – (of the ones that are not lollipop)
WKC1-2
FF13
Demon souls
Star Ocean 4
Renosaunce of Fate
Valkyria Chronicles
Eteranal Sonata
Nier

That is pathetic list (quantity wise) of PS3 jrpgs… PS brand was founded on JRPGS… people bought the PS1 and PS2 for jrpgs yet this gen there barely is none (on any platform but handhelds)

Where is the new jrpgs? Where is suikoden 6, Legend of Dragon 2, Legend of Legia 2, Grandia 4, etc… all these games would be great! I don’t care about the graphics if they will profibit making them.. And turn based systems rock!!! Just because twitch cod gamers don’t like doesn’t mean anything as they wouldn’t buy those types of games anyway.

Just a little rant sorry…. I appreciate the PS1 love, but it makes me miss the game styles of yor… I wish more new jrpgs would come to ps3. Japan gets them but we hardly ever do…..

At least keep rereleasing ps2 jrpgs on PSN in hd and get more PS1 jrpgs… Please. WIll buy every 1 guaranteed!

rh_underhill said:

October 1st, 2:58 pm

@118 – Because… I want it. I thought that was pretty obvious. I wouldn’t want something rereleased if I didn’t enjoy it.

@120 – YES, FEAR EFFECT! (for the record, I want that too, because I enjoyed it – just in case anyone asks why)

Kandoken said:

October 1st, 3:28 pm

If the port’s like PSX with the terrible load times….. they could at LEAST make it Anthology, or $5.99.. Just a LIIIIIITTLE bit hesitant on this one, guys.. plus the DS version’s got these cutscenes AND new armor and dungeons.

*toss-up until reviews post-release date*

MarkakaJin said:

October 1st, 3:29 pm

How about Ape Escape coming to the PSN store? Please? I want that game again.

WolfyHopeless said:

October 2nd, 1:30 am

ALSO, if you ACTUALLY READ the first page, you’d see Chrono Chross is teased at being released. God, some of you, it’s like the useless bleating of lambs. You have no purpose, no real voice, you’re just making useless noise.

NeoGuardian86 said:

October 2nd, 4:28 am

Speaking as someone who has never played Chrono Trigger.

but i have heard a few things and have had friends rave about it.
I am totally picking this up.

I’m looking forward to this like i look forward to current big release games!

gotwriter said:

October 2nd, 4:36 am

Price please

DJNorthSky said:

October 2nd, 6:24 am

It’s amazing how much people support this garbage. And by garbage, i mean the re-release of games a fourth and fifth time. The DS version was good enough. Btw this is one of those games where if you didnt play it back in the day and made some nostalgic connection, then it’s just an outdated mediocre game. If I had to pick one to play again it would be Chrono Cross. Cross is way better than trigger. Haters will hate, but I still find it amusing that so many people are will to pay for the same game that is on it’s…fourth release? Dumb

DJNorthSky said:

October 2nd, 6:30 am

@120 Here’s an idea. Go buy a PS1 for $20 and go buy those games. If you guys truly want these games you can have them, BECAUSE they are already out! Oh you dont even have to buy a ps1 because every single PS3 has the software to play Ps1 games! All of them!

JonJonXD said:

October 2nd, 7:41 am

Good! Finally!

Also, get us some Chrono Trigger avatars ;)

Knightedrik said:

October 2nd, 10:48 am

So much win.. Thank you.

febwtf said:

October 2nd, 1:00 pm

Well, as long as we’re all asking for more PSOne Classics…

I’d really like both Future Cop LAPD (already on the EU store… hint hint) and The Next Tetris, which I’ve never seen for any other platform, and the only version of Tetris I can play anymore. That would probably get my wife to get a PS3, too :)

SadpersonNate said:

October 2nd, 5:16 pm

Can someone tell us if The Legend Of Dragoon will be put on the PSN? I know a lot of peopple ask about it but I just want to know if it will.

marfox said:

October 3rd, 1:00 am

@Dbzlotrfan Akira Toriyama (creator of Dragonball and Dragonball z) does the character artwork for the Chrono Trigger games

CUPCAKEPLEXI said:

October 3rd, 9:53 am

Now if they would release FFVI, Chrono Cross, and Legend of Dragoon I’d be one happy camper :D

NateTheHamster said:

October 3rd, 3:17 pm

stop whining that the psx version sucks it the SAME!!!!

Gr8Old1 said:

October 3rd, 7:22 pm

We Need and HD FF12, that game was Epic, i’m still sad my PS2 is broken we need an HD version of Final Fantasy 12

Kanon_of_Gemini said:

October 3rd, 9:08 pm

Price ???? O_O

Valladin said:

October 4th, 12:13 am

I don’t understand all the people worrying about load times. This game will not be running off an old “DVD” type CD like it did on the origional PS1..it will be running directly off the hard drive. I have FFT and there are ZERO load times and I owned it for the PS1 years ago. Trust me there is a huge difference. It will load as fast as the hard drive can go.

Bobbyman14 said:

October 4th, 1:07 am

Magus. Why no here?

Cage_137 said:

October 4th, 5:29 am

Really freakin awesome for this weekend for us retro RPG fan. I was going to buy it Via Ebay this month. Cause i want to play Chrono Trigger and Final fantasy 2 aka 4. for the 4th time :D. But thanks to PSN for making us RPGs fans make our day.. Two word for Nintendo SUCK IT!! We have the best version for this game!! Request for Playstation, please Please we need Suikoden 2, Breath of fire 3, Lunar Silver Star complete and Eternal blue with Avatars. Anyway good weekend indeed. Gonna be the first one to buy this Chrono Trigger when it hits tonight.

Gr8Old1 said:

October 4th, 8:42 am

it’s the 4th and no Chrono Trigger what’s going on??????

fausticph said:

October 4th, 9:56 am

UGHHHHHHH I want chrono cross and legend of dragoon. japan has had them for months now. what? no love for us true gamers?

Lieutenant_Sov said:

October 4th, 10:59 am

@Cage_137
Your fanboyism is showing. Also, Nintendo beat Sony to the punch by releasing a version of CT with all the same cutscenes as the PS1 release, and extra features that help tie it closer to Chrono Cross. Also, it’s the 4th and there’s no CT to be seen on the PSN just yet.
While I won’t be buying CT for my PSP, I’ll definitely be on board for CC if/when it comes out.

spooky_skeptic said:

October 4th, 12:06 pm

so… where is it guys? I just bought a 50.00 PSN card so I could get this game (and a few other titles, obviously)

Grrrr!

Elvick_ said:

October 4th, 6:45 pm

Get over it people. If you don’t like loading, then don’t buy this version. Sheesh. It’s a perfectly fine option for those who have no other option to play this great game. So off with you.

Valladin said:

October 5th, 2:02 am

I bought it when it was released yesterday and have been playing it. Keeping in mind the last time I played this game was probably 1995 or 1996, I have to say I’m in CT bliss right now. There is in fact a small load time, maybe 3 seconds max when a battle is initiated and when it ends. But all in all I see nothing wrong with it. Thanks Sony. Enjoying some childhood memories as I write this.

HumbleOudman said:

October 5th, 3:17 pm

bought it to support SQUARE but i will play the snes version on wii instead, after trying it out menu loads times are to annoying for me to handle …

GuerillahTacTikz said:

October 20th, 1:09 pm

+ Dbzlotrfan

Some of them look like Dragon Ball Z because the artist for Chrono Trigger was Akira Toriyama, who was the manga artist/author who created the Dragon Ball series. He also does the artwork for Dragon Quest.