Horizon Zero Dawn

Oct 11

Oct 11

Gran Turismo 5 Spec 2.0 Update is Live, DLC Coming October 18th

Brian Dunn's Avatar Posted by Associate Product Marketing Manager

After revealing last week all of the great free content coming to Gran Turismo 5, which dropped to $39.99 as of last week, I’m happy to report that the Spec 2.0 update is now live for everyone to download and explore. And if you’re a PlayStation Plus member and have Automatic Downloads enabled, the next time you turn on your PS3 you might find that the update has already been installed. Otherwise, you can launch the game now and update GT5 to Spec 2.0.

The Spec 2.0 update enables you enjoy a new and improved GT5, including interior views for all standard cars, improved physics and AI, faster menus and load times, additional functionality and control in the online racing mode, updated 2011 NASCAR cars, a gorgeous new opening cinematic movie, and much more.

I mentioned last week that we also have a slew of downloadable content releasing on the PlayStation Store. Here’s an update on the content you can expect next week on October 18th.

Course Pack

The Course Pack ($4.99), will include two courses completely new to Gran Turismo. The first course is the world-famous Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps located in Spa, Belgium. At 7km long, this course is widely known as one of the most challenging race courses in the world due to its many twists and turns and elevation changes. And every inch of the track has been painstakingly recreated as only Polyphony can.

Gran Turismo 5 DLC: Circuit de Spa-FrancorchampsGran Turismo 5 DLC: Kart_Space

The second course is a flashy indoor karting arena designed by Polyphony Digital, and comes with two layouts to race. Lit with neon lighting, the kart arena not only showcases the beauty of GT5’s graphics and lighting engines, but also adds a crazy twist to the outdoor karting areas that shipped with GT5.

Racing Car Pack

The Racing Car Pack ($7.99) adds 11 custom PDI-designed custom touring editions of fan favorites like the Mazda RX-7, Subaru Impreza, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X, Dodge Challenger SRT8, Nissan GT-R, Honda CR-Z, and even a race tuned Toyota Prius, among others. The pack also includes three new racing karts. But what makes the Racing Car Pack really cool is that it also features the never-before-seen Red Bull X2011 Prototype vehicle. The Red Bull X2010, a machine built for pure speed, was the ultimate prize in Gran Turismo 5, and the Red Bull X2011 Prototype is the next evolution in design. In other words, that’s 15 new vehicles to add to your collection and master.

Gran Turismo 5 DLC: Gran Turismo Red Bull X2011 PrototypeGran Turismo 5 DLC: Mazda RX-7 Touring Car

Racing Gear Pack

Also available will be the Racing Gear Pack ($2.99), which features 90 pieces of racing gear, including racing suits and helmets, for your in-game drivers. Included are GT original design helmets and suits, white and black Alpinestars suits, the official 2010 and 2011 season racing suits and helmets of 4 top NASCAR drivers, and racing gear of 4 other celebrity race car drivers including Sebastien Loeb and Peter Solberg.

Gran Turismo 5 DLC: Racing Gear 02Gran Turismo 5 DLC: Racing Gear 01

Paint Pack

And last but not least is the Paint Pack ($1.99), featuring 100 paint colors to customize your cars with. The pack includes new shades of matte, chrome and aluminum colors. It’s time to breathe some new life into your car collection.

Gran Turismo 5 DLC: x2010

While you can buy individual DLC packs, you can also buy it all at once as a bundle for just $11.99. PlayStation Plus subscribers will also get a nice discount on the bundle for the first month of release – more details on that soon.

And if you haven’t heard, this week is your chance to grab the Red Bull X2010, Sebastian Vettel model, which we are giving away for free this week to commemorate Vettel’s historic F1 championship win over the weekend. The Red Bull X2010 is a racing machine built for pure speed (up to 280mph, 0-60 in 1.4 seconds), built as a special partnership between Polyphony Digital and Red Bull Racing. If you haven’t completed all of the in-game challenges to unlock it in the game on your own yet, this is your chance to add this speed demon to your collection. See here for instructions on how to add it to your garage. This promotion is good this week only, so be sure to grab it before time runs out!

Finally, don’t forget to watch GT Academy Tuesdays on SPEED, and download full episodes from the Video Store side of PSN. Episode 4 debuts tonight at 7:00pm PST on SPEED and will be available this week on PSN, with the thrilling final episode premiering next week.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

tazmania91 said:

October 11th, 8:15 am

Good ! Hope that Polyphony Digital is working on GT6 !

SyrupCakeEater said:

October 11th, 8:16 am

Looks pretty awesome dont know for sure if im going to be enjoying all of this but i hope they put out more dlc along with this. :)
Good job

thepatriots said:

October 11th, 8:16 am

Thank you PD. And to those that feel jaded by what has been released, name another game with this much post launch support free and paid.

This game is truly magical when you go on the Nurburgring at dawn, in a Lexus LFA, no HUD and sound cranked up.

remanutd5 said:

October 11th, 8:18 am

thanks !!! time to get back to GT5 and im loving the GT academy show , good luck to all remaining participants , only one will make his dream come true this time around

Stackcluster said:

October 11th, 8:23 am

Youhouuuu!

MS3Boy said:

October 11th, 8:28 am

Will there be a disc release for this 2.0 update? I’m sold on giving it another try, but I don’t want to wait hours/days for all of those GBs of updates to download.

lcmnick said:

October 11th, 8:29 am

“a gorgeous new opening cinematic movie”

Well I suppose that’s as close to an admission as we’re going to get that the old intro stunk. Whoever sanctioned My Chemical Romance needs to be fired.

Hopefully SCEA and SCEE will leave future GT intro’s well alone, and let Polyphony make it themselves.

kabirdsall14 said:

October 11th, 8:31 am

@3 (thepatriots)
A game that gets more free and paid support post launch is Little Big Planet (and lbp2). We have gotten tons of free post launch support including huge updates such as playing with the move (free).

We get free and paid dlc.
and bugs are patched whenever the team at Mm comes across one.

I mayhave to pick up Gt5 now that its $40

Sponge-worthy said:

October 11th, 8:34 am

Very cool update, and I’m looking forward to the DLC.

However, GT Academy is a terrible television show. I get the sense that it is produced by the same people who make “The Tester.” And that is some low-level reality television. At its heart GT Academy is a really cool competition, but the producers treat it like a joke: melodramatic music cues; the token hottie hostess who really has no business being there; challenges which are probably more elaborate than relevant; the doom-and-gloom judgment at the end of the episode; and “Turn in your badge (um, helmet)” closing. Should have just gone with a more documentary style guys, because the show in its current form is unwatchable.

guitarded77 said:

October 11th, 8:34 am

Good stuff here… can’t wait for the DLC!!!

JNM-CIM said:

October 11th, 8:35 am

Thanks Polyphony Digital! I’m loving the look of that new kart track!

JNM-CIM said:

October 11th, 8:39 am

@9 I know! I hate how they tried to make this a reality show! It just makes the competition feel corny and unimportant. Most, if not all of the GT Academy winners have gone on into professional racing careers and have raced in event such as the 24 hours of Le Man. Thankfully I have a DVR so I just skip all the stupid stuff and watch what I want. I already know who won anyway.

Ninja-KiLLR said:

October 11th, 8:40 am

i hate to be a complainer. but only 1 true new track and if there is one thing GT5 needs is new tracks. I the karting one shouldnt count because you cant race cars on it.

Purple_Falcon_ said:

October 11th, 8:44 am

Awesome!! Thanks!!

HuStLe247 said:

October 11th, 8:45 am

So for car DLC we’re just getting cars that are already in the game? Thats really sucks!! I was expecting something worth paying for like new cars like a Aventador, Reventon, and other cars that arent already in the game.

ixnine said:

October 11th, 8:50 am

“a gorgeous new opening cinematic movie”

Will we still have access to the original opening cinematic movie?

bakerarmy said:

October 11th, 8:53 am

Price drop wasn’t enough for me to pick it up. I played GT2 and 3. GT4 felt recycled and GT5 prologe only worked when I was logged in to PSN. I even bought the GT psp version.

I must say that I am gonna have to wait for a better deal to by. All you did was drop it alittle and throw a bunch of DLC out to make up the difference. I don’t pay for simple skins.

Marv78UK said:

October 11th, 8:54 am

Hmm… Don’t really seem to get much in the 2.0 update or the DLC. I would have liked to have seen another track at least and a few new “premium” cars. Such as the Veyron for example. :-l

that-acmilan-guy said:

October 11th, 8:57 am

DLC is a joke and should have been free, more nissans? seriously? We need more Maserati, BMW, Aston, Audi, Lambo to name a few.

ChaseHammerJ said:

October 11th, 9:03 am

definitely getting the course pack, going to pass on the race equipment, whats the point cant see that anyways.

i wish you guy would add more Pontiac cars. WHere is the late model firebird. or maybe the 2003 Firebird 427 concept.

anyways thanks for the update on a great game!

Elvick_ said:

October 11th, 9:09 am

I think I’ll wait, I’m unsure if I want this and I’d rather wait to see if they release a version with all the content on it later anyway.

KnightsOnline said:

October 11th, 9:12 am

Perfect timing just when that OTHER race game came out…. Love the DLC packs I’ll probably just buy the whole pack..

namynos said:

October 11th, 9:26 am

@ ChaseHammer
Im with you i have been waiting for ever to drive a Trans Am (82-84) i will not buy any DLC until Polyphony gives me my car.

God-Of-Lyf said:

October 11th, 9:29 am

All the smoke and mirrors doesn’t cover up the fact that this game should have been better than it is considering how long we waited for it. I lost interest in it within the first week. With all the other great racing games out there it’s like they are not even trying any more. So tired of having to pay MORE $ for features that should have been in the full retail purchase. Stop shipping games that are only 80% complete. just Just saying…!

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

October 11th, 9:30 am

$12 for all the DLC..count me in! I also hope the Spec 2.0 update lives to its expectations. Also i just noticed how this is an update on GT5 but theres a MOTOR STORM AVATAR..lol I GUESS IT DOESN’T HURT TO SUPPORT THE SONY EXCLUSIVES :)

venneer said:

October 11th, 9:34 am

Excellent content priced reasonably. Outstanding update.

Wolokowoh said:

October 11th, 9:36 am

It is a little overpriced but I’m still getting it. After I spend $60 this month, I’ll get $10 anyways.

terrencec06 said:

October 11th, 9:38 am

Will be jumping on GT5 more now after this update.

FearMonkey said:

October 11th, 9:40 am

Awesome. Definitely getting the bundle pack. :)

NyPrince said:

October 11th, 9:40 am

Will there ever be a fix for the pix-elation problem in night, tunnels or dark areas? Or is this some dumb graphics method you people doing to save ram? Either way finally some DLC and can we get some real cars? you know like new market cars and not some car that is already in gt5 just with a added new skin….

zzamaro said:

October 11th, 9:41 am

When will this game be on the PS Store?

pabowler300 said:

October 11th, 9:42 am

please get the rights to porsche back please please please!!!!!!

jla1015 said:

October 11th, 9:42 am

Can’t wait for the DLC on 10/18. GT5 is a great game. Took me awhile to like it and now I’m addicted. Keep up the good work PD!

SEAL_TEAM_7p said:

October 11th, 9:44 am

I need to buy this game again!

Islamic_Army_PR said:

October 11th, 9:57 am

Thanks 4 the update i love this game is so realistic, im a racecars fan i just want to see a GTI VR6 TURBO in this game cuz i own 1and is the best car in the world

djspinal said:

October 11th, 9:59 am

Still no custom logos or vinyls?! Im really getting tired of advertising for other companies in my races. Let me put what i want on my car. I have a hard time believing that an auto company wouldnt dream of letting me put a bumper sticker on my car, but paint a gigantic TIDE logo on a daytona track! Cmon!!! This update is filled with flim flammery and money grabs. I have 200 paint chips in my inventory, and the load times are only quicker by loading cars at the very last second, still having to wait longer for those to load before the race. Make this a game for players, not a giant commercial for big business, that we have to pay for! Dont get me wrong the new intro gave me goosebumps for the red bull car, but I think Yamauchi-San spends too much time on the wrong things. Can we even get custom helmets or uniforms?! No! Y? Because it’s not real. Well neither is a videogame in general. Grrrrrrrrr

JNM-CIM said:

October 11th, 10:01 am

@ ixnine: Yes you can still see the original movie. It’s located in the Gran Turismo TV section.

TERMINATOR543 said:

October 11th, 10:02 am

I love this game. And I love that it is constantly being updated. I will be getting the DLC soon, and as soon as I am done working, I am jumping onto GT5 immediately. I have already downloaded the Spec 2.0 update.

i_like_toast said:

October 11th, 10:22 am

PSN+ continues to save money…and thanks Sony because I didn’t have enough free time with Demon souls, Ace Combat, DW7:XL, Uncharted, MW3, BF3, Elder Scrolls V….and still needing to pick up the Ico Collection @.@

bighunt15 said:

October 11th, 10:33 am

Thank you! I really like the FF/Rewind feature on the replays!

sciroccopsn said:

October 11th, 10:36 am

what happened to the Starting Grid taking so much time to load? when I started a race, after it loaded up I could play immediately, now I have to wait for the Starting Grid to load before I can play. It’s pretty annoying, before was better.

TheUndertaker85 said:

October 11th, 10:36 am

Absolutely amazing. Can’t wait to get my hands on all of this DLC. $11.99 for all of that DLC by far beats out competitor racing games and the content you’re looking to add just looks spectacular. Please don’t let this be the only DLC though. I would like to see more tracks and premium cars coming into GT5 in the future.

Now Plus members can hope that the discount will get the DLC price down below $10… ;)

ManicDBB said:

October 11th, 10:37 am

After installing the patch, I now get the “insufficient free space” error when trying to launch the game.

I’ve gone to great lengths trying to fix it & gave up. Good luck to everyone else.

Balthaser said:

October 11th, 10:45 am

_____________________________________________________________________________________
+ ManicDBB on October 11th, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

I’ve go the same result, saying “insufficient free space, at least 32MB is required”, keep asking me to free ups some space on the HDD, while I still has 47GB left on it.

jimmyfoxhound said:

October 11th, 10:50 am

One awesome track does not a good DLC make.. wish PD had more tracks to offer. Seriously, NASCAR and karts?? So lame. They really shouldn’t have bothered with that all black interior view for the standard cars. That looks soooo bad…

Misayoto said:

October 11th, 11:05 am

Thank you Polyphony Digital! It`s a nice update as I was going to play the game again.

glen421 said:

October 11th, 11:06 am

As I old school GT fan I didn’t pick this one up due to the disappointment. I’m wondering if this is a good buy now?

zippie_80 said:

October 11th, 11:07 am

would be soooo nice if u post a video….!

BoxOfSnoo said:

October 11th, 11:09 am

Spa alone is worth the cost of the track pack. I love that track.

ManicDBB said:

October 11th, 11:10 am

I backed up my save to USB, deleted all game data & the save, re-installed the patches & the game install too, launched game, then quit & deleted save, then re-copied my backup save from USB & it seems OK now.

PAGE 1 2 3