Final Fantasy XV

Oct 21

Oct 21

PixelJunk Sidescroller Coming to PSN October 25th

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar Posted by President and Executive Producer, Q-Games Ltd.

PixelJunk SideScroller is not far from your hands! Yes, it has kind of crept up upon us, but the release date is 1st of November October 25th in North America. I really can’t emphasize enough how really, really good, old-school fun SideScroller has turned out to be. I’m sure some of you have played the “bonus” stage in PixelJunk Shooter 2 called “The Road to Dawn”, well that is what gave us the urge to make an entire side scrolling shoot-em-up game! Back in the day I used to love games such as R-Type and Darius, and going even further back there were games such as Scramble and Defender that inspired me as a child. So…we decided to dip our toes in and see what PixelJunk could bring to the side-scroller world.

We used the same engine as for the two Shooter titles, but the game itself is entirely different. To begin with this is a single-stick controlled game rather than the dual-stick control we had in Shooter, which makes it even more addictive and easy to control. And of course, you can only face to the right as you fly your craft! The only similarity really is that a handful of enemies from Shooter have been “re-imagined” for SideScroller, but to add to them we created a whole slew of new enemies and bosses for you to try to destroy also.

PixelJunk Sidescroller

The back-story of the game is that SideScroller is the game the pilot of PixelJunk Shooter is playing on his old computer console in his ship on the way home to Earth after the ending of Shooter 2. This explains the cool “retro” look we have designed with the curved CRT (cathode ray tube) screen and the monochrome look of the interface. However, during its orbit of Apoxus Prime perhaps the computer has been infected… a little?

PixelJunk Sidescroller

Some people reckon PixelJunk games are a little tough, and well… yes, they are a little because I think games should be a challenge. However, what we’ve done this time is scattered loads of checkpoints so even if you do die, you’ll restart really close, and we also give you the option to downgrade your difficulty setting if you get a Game Over too. We’ve created 4 difficulty levels so everyone is catered for (I hope!).

Oh and did I mention, the bosses are AWESOME! Maybe I should mention that again…

PixelJunk Sidescroller

I’ve got to head off and start finishing off PixelJunk 4am, so I’m going to leave you with the really cool trailer for SideScroller we created (see above). Definitely check it out, because you might be able to spot one of the AWESOME bosses in there!

Remember everyone – October 25th!

Add Your Own

KazeEternal said:

October 21st, 7:02 am

Is it possible to turn the screen curvature off. I really don’t care about CRT retro feel as I’ve spent the last 3 decades wanting the HDTV I have today lol. Sorry I just don’t do nostalgia and I find it annoying when it is forced on me.

Afinodeath said:

October 21st, 7:19 am

What are you talking about? This is fantastic!!!

rockinjs864 said:

October 21st, 7:21 am

Will a demo be available at time of release?I’m kinda on the fence that would help seal the deal

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

Ariel Angelotti said:

October 23rd, 6:27 pm

There won’t be a demo on release day, but we do have something in the works. We’re positive it will win you over!

rockinjs864 said:

October 21st, 7:23 am

Ohhh just seen the last part of your blog 4am that is a must have no doubt about it

robhorine711 said:

October 21st, 7:38 am

So how much is this going to cost. I hope it’s $9.99. That way I can get both PJSS and Daytona on the same week. ROOOOOLLLLLIINNNNNNGGGGGGGG SSSSSTTTTTTAAAAARRRRRRRRTTTTTTTT!

ScubaOwl said:

October 21st, 7:41 am

Isn’t this a delay? Supposed to come out on the 24th of this month. Either way, gonna be awesome.

tylerh1701 said:

October 21st, 7:46 am

Sweet! It got delayed a week so now it can’t be part of the spend $60, get $10 back. That’s awesome! /sarcasm

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

Ariel Angelotti said:

October 23rd, 6:30 pm

SideScroller hasn’t been delayed, so don’t worry! It will be out on October 25th as previously announced at the beginning of the month.

ScubaOwl said:

October 21st, 7:49 am

Hadn’t thought of that. If that is the case I’m sure its a Sony decision, not a Q-Games decision.

adolson said:

October 21st, 7:53 am

Why does the trailer say “On Sale October 25th”? Kinda misleading if this means “pre-order.”

madecrazy said:

October 21st, 7:54 am

whats up with these terrible release dates payday: the heist = Batman Arkham City, PixelJunk Sidescroller = Uncharted 3. Terrible timing

adolson said:

October 21st, 7:55 am

Also, please can you make a PixelJunk Cards game? I can already tell that it’d be epic. Or how about a vertical-scrolling shooter? I love those. Oh, and a Move-supported foosball game, you could call it PixelJunk Balls!

Conaaando said:

October 21st, 8:03 am

It looks good! I’ll give it a try. :-)

KidCommando said:

October 21st, 8:42 am

awwww, was gonna try to do the $60 for $10 deal with this game.

That is so lame that this game was advertised with that promotion, but now it doesn’t release within that window.

Yet another sloppy promotion where Sony says one thing in the beginning but then changes by the end.

What a crock of [DELETED]!!

RedGiant314 said:

October 21st, 9:05 am

Scramble! Loved playing that on the C64 as a kid. Sidescroller looks great too, can’t wait to try it!

datoupee said:

October 21st, 9:06 am

I’ll give this a try simply because I am a PixelJunk addict. However, the shooter concept has been played to death after Shooter2.

We want another PixelJunk Monsters ! Perhaps something on the VITA with trophies ?

ScubaOwl said:

October 21st, 9:14 am

10/25! Yes we did!

Pukadon said:

October 21st, 9:15 am

So glad this fits into the October release from (since we have that 60-10 offer) – anything PixelJunk is a must-buy for me anyway.

ScubaOwl said:

October 21st, 9:16 am

(I’m kidding.)

Aminoss98 said:

October 21st, 9:16 am

EPIC game!!!! awseome!

KidCommando said:

October 21st, 9:24 am

I retract my previous whining.

tylerh1701 said:

October 21st, 9:32 am

Sweet, updated to October 25. That’s much better news.

Permafry_42 said:

October 21st, 9:45 am

have the same questions that i did on twitter: can we preorder/automatically download? PS + discount? loyalty discount/reward? video recording still a feature?

i also have a new one: if there is a video recording feature (which is one of the main reasons why i want to buy it) will it still be 60 fps? is there a way to bring the game down to 30fps in exchange for smother video recording? as someone who did a playthrough of pixeljunk 2 and plans to do a playthrough of pixeljunk sidescroller i’m every interested in knowing!

Getting the game day one! really looking forward to playing the game!

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

Ariel Angelotti said:

October 23rd, 6:48 pm

Hi there!

We don’t know of any pre-order or auto-download functionality, but the good news is that it’s out on Tuesday! SideScroller will be included in the special PS+ promotion, and it will include video recording.

Unfortunately, there’s no way to downscale the game from 60fps to 30fps. The functionality will be the same as it was in Shooter 2, so if you test out that feature with Shooter 2, you’ll get a good idea for how it will look and feel in SideScroller.

Joyce139 said:

October 21st, 10:50 am

looks intimidating. hopefully there will b a demo

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

Ariel Angelotti said:

October 23rd, 6:50 pm

Don’t be intimidated! There’s also a “Casual” difficulty mode which is much more forgiving to the player if Normal is kicking your butt.

FJ1100_rider said:

October 21st, 11:35 am

definitely buying it day one , why wasn’t this one of the game we could pre-order though ?
I would have pre-ordered it long ago if it could have been .

love pixeljunk games , and will buy any you make

Carl-G said:

October 21st, 11:38 am

I wish ‘Scramble’ and ‘Defender’ were on PSN ;P (the original versions & LOADS of other old-skool arcade games to)

Esena said:

October 21st, 11:43 am

Def excited for this. You guys got my support!

IVIVP101 said:

October 21st, 1:24 pm

I cannot wait for the release, love the shooting part on PixelJunk Shooter.

Kirkpad said:

October 21st, 2:32 pm

Hey Dylan! Can’t wait to try this one. The visuals look crazy and I haven’t played a good sidescroller in a while. It looks like it will have that same addicting Pixeljunk style.

Also, gotta keep my PJ collection complete!

deafwing said:

October 21st, 3:55 pm

THIS … I WILL BUY … HANDS DOWN.

rabidninjamonky said:

October 21st, 5:07 pm

What are all you guys talking about? It says right at the top of the post it’s coming Oct 25th. Can’t wait to play this game!

onslaughtree said:

October 21st, 8:16 pm

This game looks so awesome. Reminds me a little of R-type. Datona Usa may have to wait if this is released in the same week. smh

Hooligantuan said:

October 21st, 8:35 pm

Love R-Type! Love Darius!

Looking forward to loving Sidescroller!

(PS: Plz to be patching Shooter 2 Road to Dawn so it keeps scores?)

shades909 said:

October 22nd, 6:13 am

Look easy and not much different then a lot of other games of this kind i have played before you can easily find flash game that look better then that for free.
For now this look to boring for me to spend money on that game but a demo might make me change my mind so i hope you guys will release a demo.

Chuckbait said:

October 22nd, 8:28 am

I have all the Pixel Junk games and add ons (except for Eden Encore).

I will be buying PJ 4am…..

Most likely, I’ll pass on this game, i loved the water/fire aspect of pj shooter. I loved the anti gravity ship in shooter, but i hated the dig dug ship…. and this game here, not original…. at all.

And thats what I like about pixel junk games.. their originality. Eden is one of the best downloadable games. When can we expect Pixel Junk Eden 2?

I’m assuming it’ll be after PJ Monsters 2 is released. So you know, I will definitely be buying Monsters2, Eden2, and 4am.

Thank you and good luck with sales.

MarkakaJin said:

October 22nd, 8:51 am

I love PixelJunk games. Please make more, Q-Games.

TUSTIN1 said:

October 22nd, 12:38 pm

I loves me some PixelJunk but this one’s going to be a pass I’m afraid.

As others have said, PJ games tend to be quirky and original, however what can PJ:Sidescroller do better or differently than say Soldner-X?

rabidninjamonky said:

October 22nd, 1:17 pm

@Tustin1 I actually prefer the bright retro graphics over soldner-x’s graphics. Plus this game has upgradeable weapons and doesn’t require you to find keys to unlock stages like Soldner.

Hooligantuan said:

October 22nd, 3:04 pm

Still want a Monsters 2, btw.

StinkyMoney5 said:

October 23rd, 9:12 am

Looks awesome!!!

tonydamiani said:

October 25th, 1:44 am

A W E S O M E !

And love the back-story :P hehehe