Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

Nov 02

Nov 02

Rainbow Moon: PSN-Exclusive Strategy RPG coming in 2012

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar Posted by CEO, SideQuest Studios

RainbowMoon_Logo

Hello everyone, this is Marcus from SideQuest Studios, the developer that brought you the PSN exclusive shoot’em up series Söldner-X. Today I am telling you about what we’ve been working on with our publishing partner eastasiasoft during roughly the last year and a half. No, it’s not another shooter, but it’s once again a very classical genre that we are bringing back to life on the PlayStation 3 in 2012.

Our latest creation is titled Rainbow Moon. It’s a strategy role-playing game (or, for short, “SRPG”) with a strong emphasis on exploration, character development and turn-based battles. This genre is one of my personal favorites that I enjoyed playing most when I was growing up (and still enjoy a lot now as far as time allows).

RainbowMoon_Screenshot08

I can promise you that Rainbow Moon is going to be massive, and it’s got all the features that you want from a traditional RPG. First of all, it will take you around 30 hours just to play through the main story mode, but that’s far from all what the game has to offer. Your playtime can be extended to 100 hours or longer if you want to complete all side quests and achieve full character development.

What else can you expect from Rainbow Moon? A classic isometric open world, six playable main characters, more than 20 dungeons, around 100 special skills, fully customizable weapons, armors and accessories, and a lot more.

RainbowMoon_Screenshot12RainbowMoon_Screenshot03

At the moment, we are still putting on the last finishing touches, and I can’t wait to see when Rainbow Moon hits the PlayStation Store in the first quarter of 2012. Until then, I will surely have more information for you here on the PlayStation.Blog. If you want to stay up to date on Rainbow Moon’s development, you may also check out the official website at www.rainbowmoongame.com or follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RainbowMoonTheGame.

P.S.: Make sure to let me know what you think about Rainbow Moon, and leave your feedback or questions in the comments.

RainbowMoon_Screenshot13RainbowMoon_Screenshot01

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

mjemirzian said:

November 3rd, 1:25 am

“It’s a strategy role-playing game (or, for short, “SRPG”) with a strong emphasis on exploration, character development and turn-based battles.” Nothing about an SRPG means it has to be a traditional RPG with a turn based grid slapped on it like FFT and TO. Fire Emblem and Super Robot Wars are both SRPGs that follow a linear campaign with little or no exploration and grinding, not to mention they usually have useful scoring systems. With that in mind, I am interested to hear about the Ranking tab on the main web site.

I’d like to review your game for http://www.tbstactics.com if you’re interested.

Spectrum said:

November 3rd, 2:47 am

Hello, im a huge fan of the Soldner X games. And have my immediate support for this title hands down no questions asked. I liked Rafael Dyll’s work on the Soldner X titles as well. i went as far to buying the soundtracks hard copy and DLC versions. I also purchased all DLC content for Soldner X 2 and avatars. so seriously you guys need to make a Soldner X 3. Im also quite eager to play this strategy RPG. I am a fan of the genre and having your studio/musical composer talents it should be a winning combination. You guys are awsome, keep it up.

Bayern_1867 said:

November 3rd, 5:03 am

How much replay value is there? I like to check out alternatives to what I have done.

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

Marcus Pukropski said:

November 3rd, 6:19 am

@Bayern_1867:
    You can replay the whole game in difficulty mode, in addition there will be optional content when you have played through the main story.
    @Spectrum: Thank you very much, we’re glad you like SX:)

bldudas said:

November 3rd, 5:54 am

I love RPGs, especially strategy, so I’m interested.

Zeer0id said:

November 3rd, 6:21 am

This looks excellent! I hope we can see some gameplay videos soon.

LilWayneSuckz said:

November 3rd, 6:38 am

Please do everything in your power to make this game look (and play) even more excellent

FilmMaker2009 said:

November 3rd, 6:48 am

I love this style of RPG. I’ll be keeping my eye on this game for sure.

andremal said:

November 3rd, 7:44 am

About time we got another SRPG for the PS3! I’m really looking forward to this.

ShadowPhoenix18 said:

November 3rd, 8:42 am

I too am a big fan of RPGs and SRPGs, and I have plenty on my portable consoles. This is very colorful and vibrant, and likely not a typical fare since coming off the heels of such a different type of game. My purchase all depends on how the video and storyline summary intrigues me, but I am definitely gonna follow this, and I am definitely expecting to be impressed. Like midnightshade, I thank you for not making another awesome shooter and instead applying your skills and fresh insight into the SRPG genre.

PuppetShoJustice said:

November 3rd, 8:46 am

It always worries me when a dev says there is 100+ hours of side stuff to do in an RPG. That often translates to super overpowered optional bosses. There’s nothing wrong with that. But it’s a problem when one of those hours is spent fighting said bosses and the other 99 hours are mindless grinding for levels or 0.001 percent drop chance items I need to create the equipment necessary to go fight said optional bosses.

I’m not trying to judge. The game looks like it could be a really good time. I just hope you understand that telling me there’s another 100 hours of gameplay after the credits roll sends some really unfavorable signals about what I expect to be spending those hours doing.

colstripcapn said:

November 3rd, 9:27 am

Thank you!

The PS3 is so devoid of turn-based RPGs it is enough to make a gamer cry. I can’t even begin to tell you how disappointed I am in this generation of consoles due to the near complete lack of good turn-based RPGs. I’ve been forced to almost solely play on handhelds =/

I will be looking at this game VERY closely. Hope it releases sooner rather than later. First quarter of 2012 is pretty vague (fiscal or calendar?).

Will voices (if any) be in English?

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

Marcus Pukropski said:

November 3rd, 12:01 pm

Yes, all voice acting will be in english. Unfortunately I can’t give you any further details about the release date. This also depends on QA, ratings and other things.

PuppetShoJustice said:

November 3rd, 10:26 am

Turn based RPGs aren’t entirely dead. If you run out of handhelds look up the NEStalgia trailer on YouTube.

colstripcapn said:

November 3rd, 11:59 am

@PuppetShoJustice

That’s a PC game, and rather poor quality at that =/

Why can’t there be a turn-based RPG on the caliber of Uncharted, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Heavy Rain, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, etc. Final Fantasy use to be the flagship, but they’re no longer turn-based.

They’ll never reach the sales numbers of those games I listed … but they can certainly do better than than a lot of other games. Really good ones can easily hit the 1M sales mark.

Heck, Lost Odyssey sold over 810k as a new IP from a mostly unknown developer, a JRPG, and an exclusive for a system Japan dosen’t like…

I think that shows their IS a market for them.

candycabngfl said:

November 3rd, 10:56 pm

I see no reason why a developer couldn’t make a great RPG off of any of those games if it has whatever it is that makes these games great to the fans. I would have to think that the vast majority of gamers who are into the 3rd person adventure and FPS games don’t play many turn based RPG’s. Obviously there are still fans of the genre but try to get any run & gun loving 10 to 20 year old to play one.

I think the lack of turn based games is mostly due to the fact that we now have gaming hardware that lets developers move beyond having to make simple games with a great story line, there isn’t much of a market for them compared to the other genres and the industry is now more than ever about making money.

Hey Marcus maybe you could shed a little light on why all the console demos usually come out after the actual game ? Been wondering about that for a while :) Being a long time PC gamer its very odd see demos after a game release.

This game looks great.

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

Marcus Pukropski said:

November 4th, 3:05 am

Sorry, the reply was posted as regular message -> See next message

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar

Marcus Pukropski said:

November 4th, 3:03 am

A demo has to pass the same release procedure, which can be somewhat tedious. Lots of paperwork is required, the demo must pass the QA in the same way as the main title, ratings are needed and much more. Because the demo is usually a modified version of the original title, most studios are waiting til the main title has passed the QA. In case the main title won’t pass, you don’t need to resubmit two packages.

candycabngfl said:

November 4th, 10:05 am

Thanks Marcus :-)

I would have never thought that much work went into them. I generally know what I’m going to buy without playing a demo first but I do appreciate when you guys put them out. Its always cool to try new stuff.

Bye the way the Soldner X games are really great games imho. Scrolling shooters have always been my favorite game genre.

NeonzNL said:

November 4th, 5:06 pm

If it has online multiplayer and has a lot of customization then I will buy it, if not then I MIGHT buy it…

Dark_Yoda_313 said:

November 6th, 10:58 am

Day one purchase, game looks amazing and seems to have the right balance – depth for those that want it, streamlined experience for those who don’t. You have my money already!

PAGE 1 2