PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

Nov 30

Nov 30

Exclusive Look At New Characters In New Yakuza: Dead Souls Trailer

Kellie Parker's Avatar Posted by Community Manager, Sega of America

You may have heard that Yakuza: Dead Souls is coming to PlayStation 3 in March 2012. Like Yakuza 4, the game will let you play as four characters, including two never-before-played fan favorites: Goro Majima and Ryuji Goda. It’s a Yakuza experience like none other, because this time, you’ll be fighting a horde of blood-thirsty zombies.

The undead are multiplying and filling the streets of Tokyo’s red light district. The area is quarantined quickly, but degenerates into a district full of terror, panic and devastation. Survivors try to flee the city, but four men rise up to protect those they care most about. If you think zombies are bad, meet the Yakuza.

Playable for the first time in Yakuza: Dead Souls, Goro Majima is nuts about zombie movies. He’s so excited to be killing off zombies that when you’re playing as Majima, you’ll be picking fights with zombies, instead of just merely defending yourself. Now that’s bad ass.

You probably thought Ryuji Goda was dead after Yakuza 2. But you’d be wrong, and not because he’s a reanimated zombie back to munch your brains. He’s more interested in cooking you some takoyaki at a street stall. In case mysteriously reappearing from the presumed-dead for some yummy fried octopus is not ridiculous enough for you, you should know that his prosthetic arm can transform into a gatling gun. You’ve never been able to play as Goda before, and it’s not something you’ll soon forget.

Your returning Yakuza favorites, Shun Akiyama and Kazuma Kiryu, will also be packing some heat: Akiyama specializes in dual handguns to protect himself, and Kiryu, not one to skimp when it comes to strength, will have a very special gun of his own.

Play as your favorite character, grab an attractive hostess to be your butt-kicking sidekick and arm yourself with your favorite gun or whatever item is within reach – chainsaws, bicycles, fire extinguishers, desks or anything else you can pick up. It’s time to fight some zombies!

Want to ask Kate about her favorite item to smack a zombie with? Want to ask Kellie what the heck takoyaki is? We’ll both be in the comments to answer these and any other Yakuza: Dead Souls questions you have for us.

Add Your Own

PublicSudoku said:

November 30th, 8:50 am

I want an arm like Goda’s.

November 30th, 10:01 am

It could lead to some pretty awkward situations, though.

Snocherry said:

November 30th, 8:55 am

Getting to play as Majima, I’ve been waiting a long time for this.

November 30th, 10:04 am

Awesome! We like making people happy. :)

hypersk_us said:

November 30th, 9:29 am

I love takoyaki! It’s not usual to find it where I live right now (México City), but there’s the anime conventions and Mikasa (a Japanese supermarket).

To stay on topic: Please can you tell us if we’ll get a demo of this game on PSN (and when)?

December 1st, 9:59 am

Takoyaki is awesome! No word about a demo currently. Stay tuned!

JH-FallenReaper said:

November 30th, 9:45 am

MY STORY-i tought yakuza was a game to pass because of the low reviews and when i went to black friday i picked up heavy rain,batman ac,and i had to choose between yakuza 4 and singularity for 10 bucks,when i played them all heavy rain was my favorite still havnt passed batman but not digging it alot its good but not what reviews said, again when i played yakuza 4 i was in love with that game it has it all humor,violence,great story,good gameplay not great but good,and good graphics ill buy any yakuza on release please release more,im even daring saying yakuza 4 to me has a better story than uncharted 3,yakuza all the way!BUT KILLZONE 3 my GOTY!

November 30th, 10:05 am

That’s awesome that you picked up Yakuza 4 and loved it! Yakuza: Dead Souls is out in March, so your next Yakuza fix is not that far away.

lolidkwot said:

November 30th, 9:59 am

MAJIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-sama!!!! God I can’t wait to play as him. Believe it or not, I prefer playing as Akiyama over Kazuma but either way Majima is the one I can’t wait to play as!

November 30th, 10:06 am

I love that there are two brand new playable characters in this game. Glad you are looking forward to Majima!

alok893 said:

November 30th, 10:04 am

Yakuza 1 and 2 were some of the best game of all time!
Nishki-yama in Yakuza 1 and Ryuji in Yakuza 2 were some of the best villans of all time!
Kiryu Kazuma is the most baddass hero of all time in Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2.
I hope they add those classics to the store or release a HD collection.
These games beat the hell out of gta or any other rpg.

November 30th, 10:11 am

Have you picked up Yakuza 3 or 4 yet? The classics are great, but there are other great games in the Yakuza series too!

Skv007 said:

November 30th, 10:14 am

hehhee!
I love how Yakuza games always release right near my bday! (March)

It gives me the perfect reason to pick up Yakuza!
Can’t wait! Love the franchise! I’m soo happy we get to play Majima haha

November 30th, 10:17 am

A great birthday present for you! So glad you’re excited.

boxmyth said:

November 30th, 10:17 am

Pretty damn sure this is my most anticipated game of 2012. Every Yakuza game is classic, guns or not.

Kate Bryant said:

November 30th, 11:01 am

I think you’ll really like the guns assortment as well as your choices for melee weapons. Seriously, you can hit a zombie with a moped if you want.

Adelflame said:

November 30th, 10:21 am

At least this will keep me busy till yakuza 5 comes out, hoping this one´s story is good as the cannon ones :)

Kate Bryant said:

November 30th, 11:02 am

There’s plenty of stuff to keep you busy. :) We’ll have more info on that soon but this will definitely be a game that can hold your attention.

sugarfree98USA said:

November 30th, 10:38 am

cool. any plans for a ps vita version?

Kate Bryant said:

November 30th, 11:03 am

As with other Yakuza titles, this one is a PS3 exclusive.

hypersk_us said:

November 30th, 10:44 am

Why was my comment deleted?

I just said that I loved takoyaki even though it’s hard to find in my country…

Well, I also asked if there was a chance for a demo coming out on PSN, but nothing offensive…

Kate Bryant said:

November 30th, 11:04 am

I’m not sure why it got deleted! Takoyaki is awesome.

UltimaDestroyer said:

November 30th, 10:45 am

im so excited for this game! cant wait to fight zombies in kamurocho!! how soon will the cut content list be revealed?

ps – pass along word that we want valkyria chronicles 3 dammit!!

November 30th, 3:19 pm

We’re excited that you’re excited! Also, Valkyria 3 request noted. Stay tuned for more info!

Darewind said:

November 30th, 11:00 am

I picked up Yakuza 4 on a whim while helping out some family members get some things they were after during black friday this year.I must say I was pleasantly surprised at how good the game has turned out to be.I look forward to Dead Souls.

Kate Bryant said:

November 30th, 11:04 am

Glad you liked it… Now look forward to liking it – with zombies.

Baron_Von_Bonbon said:

November 30th, 11:23 am

Zombies and Yakuza are like cake, I can’t get enough!

November 30th, 3:20 pm

Then this will be like double layer cake! 2 layers of awesome!

Neil said:

November 30th, 11:30 am

I would just like to thank you guys for bringing this series over to the US.

Kate Bryant said:

November 30th, 2:23 pm

As Mary-Kate would say, “You got it dude!”

Kate Bryant said:

November 30th, 2:23 pm

Wait. Mary-Kate’s the real one. Well, anyways, as that kid on Full House would say…

TheGrimHeaper said:

November 30th, 11:55 am

I’m totally excited to perform Get to the Top as Majima. Then again, Kazzy-chan is always cool. I missed Goda and fell in love with Akiyama while playing Yakuza 4. Why must I choose?! ;_;

Kate Bryant said:

November 30th, 2:24 pm

You can always play through and then switch it up!

megamixer said:

November 30th, 12:16 pm

It is very disappointing to see this crappy spinoff getting localized rather than the two PSP Yakuza games. You know, the ones that stay true to the series gameplay instead of turning it into a wannabe zombie shooter (doesn’t the world have enough of those already?). As someone who owns Yakuza 1-4 and has played through them a few times each, I’d like to say I won’t be buying this game. :|

Kate Bryant said:

November 30th, 2:26 pm

Sorry you feel that way, but I wouldn’t write it off completely. ^.~

jimmyfoxhound said:

November 30th, 12:31 pm

Thanks SO much Sega for bringing this to the States! As someone who owns Yakuza 1-4 and have played though them a few times each, I’d like to say I will be buying this game!! :D

alfromhellsing said:

November 30th, 2:15 pm

Another great game coming out in March 2012.

ViolentGene said:

November 30th, 2:27 pm

I hate to be “that guy”, but why would SEGA bring THIS over and not Yakuza: Black Panther? BP is sooo much better :/

December 1st, 10:01 am

… then don’t be “that guy”. ;-) This game is getting a lot of love, and I encourage you to give it a chance!

DNAgent said:

November 30th, 2:57 pm

Any chance of Yakuza 1 & 2 being available on PS3? It can either be a HD Collection OR it could be through PSN as you can now download PS2 games from PSN.

Yakuza 1 stops at a certain point in the game that can’t be passed by any means on a backwards compatibile 80GB PS3.

December 1st, 4:26 pm

Sorry, no news on that at the moment.

SethsDeathnote said:

November 30th, 3:08 pm

HI sega ! I was the winner of the PS3 Signed game pack for PS3 back in march / april . I just wanted to say that I LOVED yakuza 4 , it is without a doubt the GREATEST game on the PS3 . thank you for getting me into games I never would have tried other wise .

Kate Bryant said:

December 1st, 9:24 am

Glad you like it!

GameDude79 said:

November 30th, 3:11 pm

SEGA, please localize Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! I’ve always wanted to play that game.

December 1st, 10:01 am

We’re focusing on Yakuza: Dead Souls right now, but appreciate that Yakuza fans want more, more, more!

SEGAFAN-Portugal said:

November 30th, 3:11 pm

This, Binary Domain, Virtua Fighter FS and Sonic CD will be “day one” for me. I will always support SEGA.

Kate Bryant said:

December 1st, 9:24 am

Thanks! Glad you’re excited!

Matrix_Lion said:

November 30th, 3:28 pm

March has so many good games coming out. That’s crazy

Clint123 said:

November 30th, 3:32 pm

wow that game looks so cool bring on next year new games and non-stop playing them

December 1st, 10:02 am

Awesome! Glad you’re excited.

poodude said:

November 30th, 5:06 pm

Finished Yakuza 3 back in October and I loved it. So, all I can say is OH MY GOD I CANNOT WAIT. Also, you guys think we could have a simultaneous release for Yakuza 5? :).

December 1st, 10:03 am

Have you played Yakuza 4? That could keep you busy until Yakuza: Dead Souls is out.

Elvenmonk said:

November 30th, 6:15 pm

IS there a chance of this one being dubbed? The lack of dubbing is what stops me from really getting Yak 3 and 4. I played the demos and my friend’s copies. It’s a fun game but the subs go too fast that I can’t read the story and pay attention to the action on screen.

December 1st, 10:12 am

The game retains its original Japanese VO, which includes some well-known Japanese stars and famous actors/actresses. But the subtitles don’t move too quickly, and with some practice, you should have no trouble reading along.

Mr_Bipolar said:

November 30th, 7:35 pm

I appreciate games like Nintendo and sega to allow to bring out old collection games. I tell yea, this weeks updates and new releases have been epic!

Start playing Yakuza seems awesome.

I see a lot of good games coming out next year makes me hurt and want them badly. But soon all the next year games will be here.

I peeked on amazon and saw all the good games coming 2012. And seen them on PS3 exclusive blogs.

December 1st, 10:04 am

Glad you’re excited about Yakuza: Dead Souls!

Elvenmonk said:

November 30th, 10:41 pm

Also, if no english VA on disc can you guys do it as DLC like Koei did with Dynasty Warriors 7 and Japanese voices?

ZOMBIE-PAPA said:

December 1st, 12:22 am

Looking great! there can never be enough zombie apocalypse games imho:D
i’ll be sure to add this to my zombie collection come march

killersense said:

December 1st, 9:39 am

Wait does this have 4 player coop? also is there a story to the single player where you can play as one of the characters and the rest as ai teammates.

ALSO PLZ PLZ BRING VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 2 AND 3 FOR THE VITA AND/OR PS3. A NEW GAME WOULD BE AWESOME TOO

December 1st, 10:15 am

The game is single player only (no co-op). You can get an NPC ally to team up with you (and you can level them up), though these are additional characters besides the four you’ll play as. You never know what you might find when you build strong relationships with people!

muzik_minded said:

December 1st, 11:39 am

I am a huge fan of this series and i already have this preordered!!! Can you PLEEEEAAAASSSEEE bring the soundtrack to the US this time!?!?!?!? We kinda got screwed out of the OST for Yakuza 3 and 4 and i would love to own at least one because the music is just as epic as the game

December 1st, 4:27 pm

request noted. no promises. :)

Rodnd said:

December 1st, 11:47 am

\o/ I love Yakuza Saga thanks SEGA…I would like if possible to be re-released remastered Yakuza 1 and 2 with trophies in a single disc and also for download on PSN pleaseeeeee :) …embrace the whole team SEGA…

Samule767 said:

December 1st, 4:46 pm

I am really excited for Dead Souls. Hopefully i will finish yakuza 3 and 4 before march.

Tzigrel said:

December 1st, 7:08 pm

But will I be able to take a break from all the zombie slaying and sing at a karaoke bar…with a zombie?

December 2nd, 9:51 am

stay tuned for more info…

Clark_kent01 said:

December 1st, 9:41 pm

Whoa this is gonna be awesome gotta save this on my list ^^

December 2nd, 9:51 am

woo woo! yes, it is going to be awesome!

Kilvoctu said:

December 2nd, 3:37 pm

Will there be a chance for Yakuza: Dead Souls to be dubbed? Since I’m a native English speaker, I have the same problem with any form of media that is subtitles only: I find myself just staring at and reading text most of the time, as opposed to what’s happening on-screen. As a result, I feel fairly detached from the characters and story.
Since the Yakuza series is known for amazing characters and story lines, this could be an issue.

For example, I couldn’t even imagine if Metal Gear Solid was full Japanese audio. All those memorable lines we know and love to quote and various ways would be lost. These things just don’t have that same impact when you’re listening to gibberish while reading text, rather than hearing a delivery in your native language.

xBarritx said:

December 2nd, 3:57 pm

Can’t wait for this. I played the Japanese demo and really liked it, so I’m looking forward to it!

Elvenmonk said:

December 2nd, 8:05 pm

Well, I doubt this’ll make it through your moderation, but for deleting a fair and honest response that picked apart and prove your statement to be a bad response you chose not to publish you lost a customer. While yes I was planning on getting End of Days, and Yak 3 and 4 (waiting for more fair prices as again I don’t see this game to be worth $60 since you do a minimal job the port to America). So, while I guess 1 customer does not mean much to you, I’ll be sure to try my best to sway everyone I know from Sega games.

thundercat17 said:

December 2nd, 9:05 pm

pure awesomeness, been a yakuza fan since picking up the first one randomly, cant wait to expand my yakuza collection

@elvenmonk, dude are you retarded or too lazy to read subs, english dubs will just ruin yakuza, the japanese voice makes yakuza unique on its own

and please sega, DONT DUB THE YAKUZA SERIES

p.s any one know any website with yakuza merchandise on it

favian said:

December 6th, 2:58 pm

Where’s Audrey? Unacceptable.

Elvenmonk said:

December 8th, 2:34 am

@thundercat17
Nevermind the people who ignore Yak simply because it isn’t dubbed. I’m not saying they have to get rid of the Japanese dub I’m saying add in the options of English dubs. It can be DLC like Dynasty Warriors 7 had.

Also, really going to insult someone simply because they want to be able to get the full experience from a game?

lupinyes102 said:

December 9th, 4:53 am

Hi Sega, Yakuza 4 is my first Yakuza series and today i just buy Yakuza 3. I like the game with a good story, I like this game cinematic, i like the voice acting and please don’t dub Yakuza series. But, a big cons about yakuza is VOICELESS CUTSCENE.

This game has a good, no i mean GREAT voice acting, sadly there are many voiceless cutscene.