Overwatch

Dec 09

Dec 09

Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock Coming to PS3 and PS Vita

Simon Harris's Avatar Posted by Executive Producer, BBC Worldwide

PS3, PSV: Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock

Okay, so, here we go… the first blog post on Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock. I’m looking forward to writing more of these blog posts over the next couple of months as we move towards launch.

Developing anything for Doctor Who has to be done right. The show has such a following that we need to be certain that everything the game does fits with the expectations of the fans.

So far, we’ve said very, very little about the game. This trailer just has the barest hints about the core of this story. What is The Eternity Clock? How is it related to the Doctor? How is River involved in this?

I’m afraid this post isn’t going to answer any of these questions; we’ll leave that to future posts and the game itself.

We’re very excited to be working with Supermassive Games as they’ve already delivered some great titles for PlayStation, such as Tumble, Start The Party and Start The Party: Save the World. The team are huge fans of the show and they’ve been great at bringing the key essence of Doctor Who into the game.

Working on PlayStation Vita, as well as PS3, is a real privilege and its unique set of features has allowed our designers to cut loose and we’ll tell you a lot more detail about how we’re using those features in a future post.

So, I hope you enjoy the trailer and look forward to sharing more details with you in the future.

Add Your Own

Livius said:

December 9th, 8:35 am

Fantastic! I’m guessing we’ll see multiple Doctors. “Everything that ever was”

xaos said:

December 9th, 8:46 am

Oh man, the cloister bell is NEVER a good sign; looking forward to learning more about the style of game. I’ve been impressed by what I’ve seen of Supermassive Games work, so I definitely approve of your choice of developers.

Given that they have done a lot of Move-related stuff, dare we hope for a sonic screwdriver Move aspect to the game? :)

madecrazy said:

December 9th, 8:57 am

Doctor Who is one of my favorite shows I just hope they don’t mess up the game

thepatcat said:

December 9th, 9:06 am

Don’t you mean you’re looking forward and backward?
At first blush, the idea of a cosmic clock recording events echoes Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, but I guess we’ll have to wait to see how it ties into the plot.

kawaiigamr said:

December 9th, 9:14 am

YAYYY =D

sackperson_cool said:

December 9th, 9:23 am

Doctor Who? On my PS3? In game form? BEST DAY EVER!!!

Kedaro said:

December 9th, 9:30 am

OMFG!!! You guys are the uber best ever…

Destiny89 said:

December 9th, 9:32 am

Woho my favorite TV show is coming to my favorite system? count me in! i look forward to seeing more

Sponge-worthy said:

December 9th, 9:44 am

I’m thinking: on-rails, first-person-shooter/screwdriver action here. Opening mission: get River out of the library.

CaptainJames99 said:

December 9th, 9:50 am

This is unexpected. I hope its done up to the higher standards of the tv series. Just by its nature it is very tricky to develop as a game. Longtime fans of the series will be aware of all the details so you better get it right with no big letdowns.

CaptainJames99 said:

December 9th, 9:51 am

By the way will this be on disc for the PS3 or only a download?
My preference is the PS3 version on disc.

ravagespawn said:

December 9th, 9:51 am

Cant wait!!! PS move controller to be used as a sonic screwdriver maybe!?!?! From the trailer it looks like it should be called Doctor Who, A crack in time.

drownedphoniex said:

December 9th, 10:22 am

This just made my day. If you don’t mind me asking, is it the Matt Smith version of the Doctor that will be in the game?

shades909 said:

December 9th, 10:28 am

I loved the show but i don’t think this will make a good games so it will take a lot to convince me to buy this game.

RidleysBox said:

December 9th, 10:31 am

This is great news!

I loved the previous games with new doctor.

bldudas said:

December 9th, 10:32 am

I love Doctor Who! I hope this game is great.

bldudas said:

December 9th, 10:43 am

Oh, and I would like for it to be on a disk, too. And is Matt Smith’s Doctor going to be used.

chaos_789 said:

December 9th, 10:50 am

Doctor Who is one of my favorite tv shows, I will keep checking out on this game so, looks like it could be good.

HatmanTc said:

December 9th, 11:19 am

i’m pleasantly surprised to see this game will be released in the US. my one big question is will the Vita & PS3 version will be compatible with each other.

HatmanTc said:

December 9th, 11:19 am

@17 that is his voice in the trailer, so i’d assume so

drake21734 said:

December 9th, 11:23 am

The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles… and that’s a theory. Nine hundred years and I’ve never seen one yet, but this will do me.

FearMonkey said:

December 9th, 11:25 am

Sweet. I love Doctor Who. Been a fan since the Tom Baker days.

One thing I hope about this game is that it’s not a Move-only title. If it’s Move-only I’m afraid I’d have to pass. :(

It better not be Move-only is my point. >_<

HatmanTc said:

December 9th, 11:38 am

@22 how could it be MOVE only when it’s coming out on the Vita and PC as well

bldudas said:

December 9th, 11:46 am

@20 I hope so.

Carl-G said:

December 9th, 12:43 pm

I love Doctor Who:P + Make it look as good as most PS3 exclusives considering you won’t be held back by having to do a Xbox 360 version to:D

jeffsmither said:

December 9th, 12:51 pm

Great show! Which Doctor is in it? my fave is the 11th one.

Capshot18 said:

December 9th, 1:06 pm

Wow. This could be amazing, if it doesn’t turn out out like just about every other licensed game does.
But, the potential IS there.

Aggie_CEO said:

December 9th, 1:16 pm

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!

Souledge94 said:

December 9th, 1:58 pm

oh please have multiple doctors.

ATES said:

December 9th, 2:13 pm

i just got into doctor who a few months ago, i think im going to go watch more of it right now

bakerarmy said:

December 9th, 2:56 pm

Been a Doctor Who fan since the Tom Baker (4th Doc) years. Been watching straight since the start of the 2005 series. I am excited but worried. So far all the Doctor Who games have been Subpar. The BBC has 5 new ones out (for Free!!!!!)

What is gonna make this one a must buy? I hope they do it justice, but I am gonna set my expectations low.

plaztiksyke said:

December 9th, 3:40 pm

I’m looking forward to another A-quality adventure title on PS3, even though I’m not a huge Doctor Who fan. That being said, it would be awesome to see a Torchlight episodic game just so we can finally get a character who could meaningfully engage in same-gender relationships.

SuperMassive did a great job with Start the Party, one of the most underrated — and best looking — Move launch titles (IMO). Their LittleBigPlanet levels and designs are awesome (within the confines of LBP’s highly squirrely physics and Z-order navigation issues). I’m excited for this news just to see more output from them.

FearMonkey said:

December 9th, 4:25 pm

@23 – you have a point! Thanks. :)

rockbreezy95 said:

December 9th, 5:08 pm

wonderful i can’t wait for ps vita come yet on the u.s.a wow amazing game

John-Shooter said:

December 9th, 7:27 pm

wow i just lost like 70% of my games since plus expired.. way to sell the FREE games for life thing playstation.. im gonna be on the phone w/ someone on monday

MarkakaJin said:

December 9th, 8:04 pm

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. They made tumble? If so, then that means if there’s a PS Move support on this Doctor Who game then I can point at things (except wood) with the Doctor’s sonic screwdriver?!

ODINGameslayer said:

December 9th, 9:55 pm

Dude–Tom Baker, seriously.

zech678 said:

December 10th, 1:34 am

NICE

TUSTIN1 said:

December 10th, 5:25 am

A big fan of Doctor Who since the beginning, with Tom Baker being my favorite, and Jon Pertwee a close second.

Ever since the PS2 got the HDD upgrade when FFXI came out, I’ve been hoping for a Doctor Who game. In my opinion, to do the series justice there needs to be a full on RPG somewhat in the style of Final Fantasy (obviously in the Doctor Who universe); where the Doctor could hook up with various companions from throughout the years (don’t forget K9) and his regenerations could represent your ‘lives’ while playing. This format would lend itself nicely to future DLC adventures as well.

Please don’t make this a small ‘fluff’ PSN game which I’m sure is what’s going to happen. A true Doctor Who game should be a massive experience encapsulating the entire series. The BBC should really consider letting a top-tier developer have a go with the license especially with Doctor Who’s recent resurgence in popularity.

Anyhoo, that is all – I really just don’t want to be disappointed, as I think my expectations are too high…

Jelly baby, anyone?

Ariellefair said:

December 10th, 5:57 am

If they can really incorporate the greatness of the PS3/Vita features, AND keep the details true to the show, this will be AMAZING!! (I just David Tennant would be a part of it =P)

Omii132 said:

December 10th, 1:36 pm

Hi, why i can´t copy my psp and my psone games from my ps3 to my psp?

slydaniels said:

December 11th, 2:14 am

YES! Can’t wait!

BloodWolfe29 said:

December 12th, 3:56 pm

Can’t wait! I’ve been a fan of Doctor Who since I was a kid and when they brought it back in 2005 and I’ve watched it religiously since. I hope this game turns out amazing!

As others have said, I hope they have multiple Doctors in this game as well.

head20 said:

December 19th, 10:06 am

y cant we get a wifi bundle with uncharted or umvc3 with a 8gb memory card like they have in the Asian release on 23rd of Dec not fair.. sony always give us girly freaking bundles check out the psp first bundles go ahead ill wait……. my point your major day one sells are going to be hardcore gamers give us the goods you said long live play well make it happen i thought this was sony not nintendo if i want to play a kiddy game ill buy a 3DS tighten up . heres another thought how about a sports bundle with fifa soccer that would so push units do a poll on the 3 come on give the hardcore gamers some excitement