PlayStation VR

Jan 15

Jan 15

The Drop: Week of January 16th 2012 New Releases

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar Posted by Senior Social Media Specialist

Shadow of the Colossus and ICO are easily two of the most unique and ground breaking games which debuted on the PS2. Now, both titles are available for digital purchase on PSN in high-definition and stereoscopic 3D this week.

PSN continues to rack up more notable classics, with Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Vegas and Splinter Cell: Double Agent, both arriving on the digital store. The Drop this week also delivers handful of demos, rounding-up another impressive PSN offering. Make sure to give episode 007 of the PlayStation.Blogcast a listen for awesome interviews from the CES show-floor.

PlayStation Network

Shadow of the Colossus — Developed by Sony Computer Entertainment’s team behind the critically acclaimed ICO. Players take the role of a young man seeking the truth of an ancient tale of power hidden in a mystical land. Shadow of the Colossus is a majestic journey through ancient lands to seek out and destroy gigantic mythical beasts. With a trusty horse at your side, players explore the spacious lands and unearth each towering Colossus creature. The uneasy task of defeating a Colossus relies on intelligent puzzle solving and action oriented gameplay. Armed with strong wits, a mystical sword and a sturdy bow, players use cunning and strategy to topple each behemoth. This re-release of the classic adventure game Shadow of the Colossus has been remastered for HD resolution and 3D displays, and also offers full PlayStation Network Trophy support.

ICO — In Sony Computer Entertainment’s exclusive adventure ICO, a young boy with horns is born in every generation to be traditionally sacrificed in order to cleanse the local community of evil spirits. This generation’s boy (and title character), however, tries to change his fate completely by fleeing from his would-be executioners and joining up with a captured princess to escape a gigantic castle. During his quest for survival ICO will have to make his way through vast environments overrun by challenging puzzles (including brainteasers and mazes) as he battles against an army of evil apparitions while leading his princess through the secluded fortress. This re-release of the classic adventure game ICO has been remastered for HD resolution and 3D displays, and also offers full PlayStation Network Trophy support.

Amy — From the original creator of Flashback, Amy is an innovative survival horror title. The cooperative gameplay featured in Amy is a deep and unique system that requires players to strategize in order to protect Amy and keep both characters alive. Unlike other games with a secondary character, Amy is neither a super warrior, nor a docile character that follows along. Players must use Amy’s size and special abilities to their advantage by keeping her close in order to ward off the virus, and having her complete tasks that Lana can’t. For both to survive, Lana must stop at nothing to keep Amy safe.

Zack Zero (PSN Exclusive) — Help Zack Zero save his beloved Marlene using the power of fire, ice and rock. Embark on an action-packed platform adventure that combines crisp 3D graphics with classic 2D platform action. Master 10 unique skills as you defeat enemies with a variety of creative attacks to reach Zack’s maximum power. Rise to the top of the online leader boards via PlayStation Network.

Cars 2: The Video Game — Cars 2: The Video Game brings players inside the international training center CHROME (Command Headquarters for Recon Operations and Motorized Espionage), where they choose from more than 20 different characters and train to become world class spies. As part of their international training, they will participate in simulated hazardous missions using high-tech gadgets to evade and slow down adversaries.

Crysis 2 — Whether played in 3D or standard 2D, Crysis 2 drops players into a devastated New York in the midst of an attack by a frightening alien species. The alien enemies are armed with deadly weaponry and exceptional sensory abilities that test players’ skill and push them to the limit. These terrifying invaders stalk the streets of New York, leaving the streets in chaos and the skyline in flaming ruin.

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Vegas — The stakes are high when the world’s most elite counter-terrorism unit enters Las Vegas, where over 36.7 million men, women and children visit each year. “Sin City,” the home of the famous Las Vegas Strip, flashy hotels, high-rolling casinos and world-famous celebrities, becomes the setting for a terrorist threat of global proportions. What happens when one of the world’s most famous cities is held hostage by terrorists?

Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Double Agent — Veteran agent Sam Fisher is back. But he’s never faced an enemy like this before. To stop a devastating terrorist attack, he must infiltrate a vicious terrorist group and destroy it from within. For the first time ever, experience the relentless tension and gut-wrenching dilemmas of life as a double agent. As you infiltrate a terrorist organization in its American headquarters, you must carefully weigh the consequences of your actions. Kill too many criminals and you’ll blow your cover. Hesitate too long and millions will die. Do whatever it takes to complete your mission, but get out alive.

Demos

• Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
  • Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

[Editor’s Note: The following dates are subject to change. Game details are gathered from Press Releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating descriptions.]

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

DeafDude7 said:

January 15th, 2:56 pm

Sweet, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo. Can’t wait!

LovesJapanManga said:

January 15th, 2:56 pm

Wow. Can we expect more digital copies from back 2006-2011 to drop in PSN Store this year? I mean MORE OF THEM??? PRETTY PLEASE??? :D

KazeEternal said:

January 15th, 2:56 pm

*poke*…. Killzone?

Ace2540 said:

January 15th, 2:59 pm

Kingdoms of Amalur! :D Free stuff is given when playing the demo for Mass Effect 3 and vice versa! Can’t wait to play both of those games!

Danomite72 said:

January 15th, 3:01 pm

Too bad AMY is supposed to be very poor. Was really looking forward to it to :'(

excaliber45 said:

January 15th, 3:01 pm

Week of the 9th? You wouldn’t happen to mean week of the 16th would you Rey? :/ and @ KazeEternal Killzone comes out the week of the 23rd (on the 24th) or it’s supposed to

headronefish said:

January 15th, 3:04 pm

SotC / Ico, YES.
Can we expect the MGS collection sometime soon?

GET2DAACHOPPAAAA said:

January 15th, 3:07 pm

Will there be a PS+ discount for ICO Collection?

DazeOfWar said:

January 15th, 3:09 pm

Well at least I can play the demo for Kingdom. Sure glad Amy was pushed a week to find out eveybody on the 360 side is saying it’s garbage. Worst game of 2012 so far.

EggySong85 said:

January 15th, 3:10 pm

If Amy is out this week, I assume they went with the higher price?

spideyal said:

January 15th, 3:12 pm

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo will be for me this week for sure. And I’ll be waiting to see what else hits on Tuesday. But so far so good.

edufavila said:

January 15th, 3:14 pm

I have purchased Chofliter for US$15. It´s nice but too expensive for a simples game.

MPaullin said:

January 15th, 3:15 pm

Hey Rey. Any word on when Fear Effect will be released as a PS1 classic? It was rated by the ESRB awhile ago and came out on the EU PSN last month. Thanks!

Dark_Yoda_313 said:

January 15th, 3:22 pm

Anyone looking for an easy Platinum need look no further than Cars 2 – and it’s pretty good fun as well.

bakerarmy said:

January 15th, 3:25 pm

I was looking forward to Amy, but all the reviews have said it is pretty much the worst in recent memory. So I guess I am glad Xbox got it first. Not much else out there, still got a few to beat from christmas.

Took a good break from Skyrim, heard a new patch is coming. Fingers crossed

WilHiteWarrior said:

January 15th, 3:29 pm

Maybe the onslaught of digital splinter cell titles means theyll finally get around to putting conviction on the PS3? But probably not

lisatsunami said:

January 15th, 3:33 pm

The digital versions of ICO & SoTC is very very good news. I’ll be buying those and selling my disc version. I’m wondering if ME3 is going to be a near-simultaneous release on digital like ME2 was? I love the digital versions since I have plenty of drive space but buying games twice is admittedly pretty dumb.

So, for ICO & SoTC, I’m rating this a 5.

abbasman47 said:

January 15th, 3:33 pm

IF YOUR ARE PLANNING ON BUY – AMY!!

DON’T BUT IT !!

STAY AWAY ! , STAY AWAY AS FAR AS POSSIBLE FROM THAT PIECE OF CRAP.

thank you.

DemoniOtaku said:

January 15th, 3:37 pm

If SoTC and ICO are at 15$ then already are a MUST BUY NOW!… But What happened to Soul Calibur v demo, wasn´t it this week? And KOF13’s DLC characters? They are already on EU store…

PuppetShoJustice said:

January 15th, 3:40 pm

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo for me. Looking forward to that.

camiwaits_us said:

January 15th, 3:41 pm

Bahahahaha, Amy.

TUSTIN1 said:

January 15th, 3:48 pm

Would it really be that hard to put the prices on PSN games when putting the weekly list together?

Anddo said:

January 15th, 3:50 pm

Poor Amy. Where did it go wrong?

Very meh! week, Only the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo for me.

DeathGazer said:

January 15th, 3:51 pm

Kingdoms of Amalur demo is definitely the highlight of this update. Can’t wait.

Grihan said:

January 15th, 3:57 pm

Heisem said:

January 15th, 4:01 pm

i bought double agent long time ago, it’s a great game, never played the online mode though.

drakerules09 said:

January 15th, 4:04 pm

thx VectorCell for the delay of amy this gave me time to read the reviews on how terrible it was now ill pass =)

ps next time to some research on prices for us

iTofuMan said:

January 15th, 4:08 pm

Good to see SotC and ico on the psn. Although I would assume it will overpriced. I plan on buying the physical collection since I can get it around 20$. I still don’t understand why they overprice so much items on the psn. If they honestly want to make digital downloads work then need to know people aren’t going to waste money on something they can get cheaper.

And yet again another week and nothing of any interest. I thought this year would have been different, but it seems like the same old stuff. Nothing for the psp yet Sony themselves claiming they support it.

ItaChu said:

January 15th, 4:09 pm

finally Castlevania: Harmony of Despair demo!!! about time

ReptileHand said:

January 15th, 4:10 pm

Whatever you do, don’t buy Amy! Seriously!

I was actually looking forward to it too…

Also, I have to pick up ICO / Resistance Dual pack at Best buy because supposedly you get $20 off for buying any two PS3 dual packs.

DarthDanMan said:

January 15th, 4:12 pm

@#9
The lower price. That’s why it wasn’t out last week.

camiwaits_us said:

January 15th, 4:16 pm

I know ICO & Colossus will be $19.99 each one, and Crysis 2 will be $39.99, they said it in the podcast.

shawnlreed said:

January 15th, 4:19 pm

It would be great if the US were to get the Ico / Shadow the Colossus avatars that Japan already has.
Please Sony, make this happen!
I want a colossus avatar!

GRIM__REAFER said:

January 15th, 4:22 pm

Amy is really stupid? Dang, I can never get what I want.

God of War 3 should go on PSN with all the others.

but Hey! Why not get Metal Gear HD Collection on there.
Legend of Dragoon PS Classic.

The games I’m looking won’t even show up for a long time
So depressing

zooyork198 said:

January 15th, 4:23 pm

Too bad Amy is said to be extremely disappointing and terrible. It looked kind of interesting, but a game that gets a 2 out of 10 in a review must be pretty terrible

marlyt said:

January 15th, 4:26 pm

KOA looks sweet. Rey it’s the week of the 16th. Come on now!!

StuntZero said:

January 15th, 4:31 pm

So since this is for the week of the 9th, shouldn’t these already be on the store? :D

drakerules09 said:

January 15th, 4:37 pm

im sure will see mgs collection in 3 to 6 months from now on psn

BossmanCCrowder1 said:

January 15th, 5:09 pm

I wish there was a demo for Amy. I really want to play that now just to see how bad it really is.

drakerules09 said:

January 15th, 5:11 pm

@36 cannot u not use utube and look at it? u should be thankful u saving 10 bucks

hypersk_us said:

January 15th, 5:18 pm

I just wish that they upload Sonic Generations’ DLC this week, I want to buy it so bad…

KevCity89 said:

January 15th, 5:21 pm

I was told that Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception would have new content this week. Is this true?

gm914 said:

January 15th, 5:26 pm

1) it’s the week of the 16th, not the 9th.
2) Unless you have forgotten to add other demos, how is 2 a “handful”? 2 is a couple.
3) For the millionth time, add prices.
4) No mention of the ’12 in ’12 sale?
5) No mention of Gran Turismo XL edition on disc?
6) how about replying to the community? All the other blog posters do.

Good ol’ Rey! Good to have you back….

duke301 said:

January 15th, 5:28 pm

I already have ICO and Shadow of the Colossus on disc. Other than that, however, nothing really catches the eye. This will be a money saver week for me.

neuropunk said:

January 15th, 6:37 pm

Ahhh, no info about the 12 for 12 sale other 6 games. We were told we’d see new info and I assumed we would in the store drop. I guess we’ll see new 12 for 12 info on the 17th I guess.

I’m taking a flight that day, so I won’t have access to my PS3 for at least a week so I won’t be able to buy the sale games unless the sale lasts a couple weeks.

gearhead32 said:

January 15th, 6:49 pm

Kingdoms Of Amular demo I knew that was coming this week I wanna try it out looks good and you unlock free stuff playing the demo so it’s worth it. I am thinking of getting Shadow of the Colossus since it’s priced right at 20 dollars and off topic they need to lower the prices of full games like Red Faction Armageddon 40 dollars is way too much you can buy it for 20 retail.

pariah164 said:

January 15th, 7:34 pm

Very meh week. Nothing for PSP. Still no Legend of Dragoon.

Sony, you must hate money. Why can you not release a PSOne game that you developed AND published, that’s been a PSOne classic on the PSP since December in Japan, that people clearly want?

Seriously, I demand an answer to this.

C_Y_P_H_E_R said:

January 15th, 8:03 pm

Castlevania Demo! Awesome. Still waiting for the other House of the Dead games along with other rail shooters. Also I agree about Amy not being worth time or money spent. Stick with Silent Hill & Dead Space. Resident Evil coming in third. Yes, third. Shame on capcom.

xCh0z3n-0n3x said:

January 15th, 8:50 pm

Will Double Agent’s frame rate issue be fixed in this release??? i HATE how it was on the disc…if it plays perfectly fine in this release i would deff buy it again…i miss Double Agent…if it still has that BIG frame rate issue then forget it!

harmony102 said:

January 15th, 8:57 pm

Ico,SotC,and Reckoning! THANK YOU!

PAGE 1 2