PlayStation VR

Mar 02

Mar 02

Trophy Hunters: Here Are Your Top 10 Platinums

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

Platinum Trophy

PlayStation Network Trophies have been around since 2008, engendering legions of “Trophy Hunters” (I’ve heard a other names as well). The most elusive prey for these digital treasure seekers is the Platinum Trophy. For the uninitiated, most “full size” retail games reward players who completely unlock a long list of in-game accomplishments with a Platinum Trophy attached to your PSN ID. At a glance, it’s the quickest way to suss out a fellow gamer’s skill – while anyone can rack up the bronze Trophies, most Platinums require a mix of skill and dedication. Out of the 2000+ trophies I’ve earned, only 3 are Platinum. It’s still more than Sid.

A few weeks ago, PlayStation Blogcast listener John M. asked us: Are you able to tell us the top 5 or 10 games that have been “platinum’d” or competed 100%?

We dug around the servers, and here’s the list, ranked by total Platinum Trophies earned:

1. Assassin’s Creed II
  2. Modern Warfare 2
  3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  4. God of War 3
  5. Resident Evil 5
  6. inFamous
  7. Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune
  8. God of War (GoW HD Collection)
  9. Borderlands
  10. Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus (The Sly Collection)

Analyzing the list, I noticed some interesting trends:

• These are good games – The average Metacritic score for the above games is 89 – so it’s a good bet that these games are of high enough quality that gamers are all too happy to fully explore them to find every last collectible (Assassin’s Creed II, Sly 1), or are willing to play through multiple times on the hardest levels to earn those Trophies (Uncharted, Modern Warfare, God of War)
  • Big sellers – We’re looking at total Platinum trophies here, so it stands to reason that games that have sold a lot of copies would have been Platinum’d a lot. That’s probably why you don’t see CSI: Fatal Conspiracy or Hannah Montana: The Movie on this list, even though they are known to be easy to Platinum.
  • Few multiplayer Trophies – None of the games listed have the dreaded “Hit Level 50 Rank in Multiplayer.” Even the multiplayer-heavy Modern Warfare 2 saves most of its Trophies for the campaign and Spec Ops missions. I think this is why you see Assassin’s Creed II on this list, and not AC: Brotherhood, which introduced Multiplayer to the series (and associates 10 Trophies with this mode, many of which are tough to get). Take note, developers!
  • These games are a couple of years old – The newest game on this list is Sly Cooper & the Theivius Raccoonus from The Sly Collection, which came out last year. The rest of the games are from 2009 or before. My theories: it takes a lot of time to grind through everything there is to see and do, and with most of these games now value-priced, many people are still picking these up and embarking on their road to the Platinum even today.

With these criteria in mind, here are a few titles I expect to see on this list a year from now: Skyrim, Jak & Daxter, another Call of Duty title, Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, and Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Yup, with Trophies now on PS Vita, there’s be a whole new frontier for Trophy Hunters to explore. We’ll check back again in about a year’s time.

Happy hunting!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 5

DZORMAGEN said:

March 2nd, 1:40 pm

This is cool Jeff! Thanks for this. Any info if Sony will will have a Firmware on the PS3 so we can also see our PS Vita trophies, and compare them on the PS3 also?

JesseHaysFL said:

March 2nd, 1:45 pm

I have 14 plats and am a high level 18 (around 90%) and yet I don’t have #8 or 10. I own both games just have not had the time…..Thanks Jeff now I have something to do other than getting “tricky”.

Go Gators!

P.S. Thanks for Journey early! SUCH A GREAT GAME!

poodude said:

March 2nd, 1:45 pm

Haha, awesome, from that list the only platinums I have are the Uncharted games. Now, if we threw Singularity and Resistance 2 into the fray I might be able to relate :P.

chriz704 said:

March 2nd, 1:45 pm

This is really good information, I will also see you in one year.

Chris

Cyris said:

March 2nd, 1:46 pm

Out of those, I have:

Assassin’s Creed II
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
God of War 3
inFamous
Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune
God of War (and II btw)

I have all the MW2 trophies except for the harder Spec Ops ones, but once they announced Black Ops and confirmed that they don’t care about making a good game but instead a game every years so they can suck money from everyone’s pockets, I stopped caring and havent played a CoD game since.

tdh004 said:

March 2nd, 1:46 pm

I’ve always wished you guys would do a yearly “Trophy Census.” Show how many Trophies were earned, highest number of Platinums, how many Trophies and what level the average player has reached.

I’d like to echo @DZORMAGEN’s request. Will there eventually be a means to view Vita Trophies on the PS3, and will those Trophies show on our gamer card on the PS3?

ScreamAimFire999 said:

March 2nd, 1:47 pm

Lol. I just have Modern Warfare 2 but this list makes sense.

smintja said:

March 2nd, 1:47 pm

Aw I only have inFamous. Soon I’ll have uncharted

JesseHaysFL said:

March 2nd, 1:47 pm

P.P.S. It would be really cool if we could see the metrics for all of the earned trophies for everyone across PSN
….do you think this may be possible someday?

March 2nd, 3:54 pm

I didn’t know we’d be able to pull this info, so this is a great start.

Motherboop said:

March 2nd, 1:53 pm

Wow, never would have guessed AC2 as number one!

JuggaloMemnoch said:

March 2nd, 1:54 pm

Why did my digital copy of Assassins Creed II that I bought last year expire and is no longer in my download list or shown as purchased in the store?? The DLC I got with the bundle is still there but the game isn’t :'(

Salvy35z said:

March 2nd, 1:55 pm

I got supper close to getting the Platinum for ASSCREED 2 and inFAMOUS but those damn shards and feathers.
I currently only have the platinum for Uncharted Drake’s Fortune.

March 2nd, 3:55 pm

The shards are brutal – I’m still missing *1* in inFamous 1.

Pesico said:

March 2nd, 1:58 pm

Thank you so much for posting this. It’s really interesting for us trophy hunters. And regarding online multiplayer trophies. I prefer the way Uncharted 2 did it. Just a dip into multiplayer in the main game, and lots of multiplayer as DLC (I got those to, but that’s because I love Uncharted multiplayer).

bigdaddykraven said:

March 2nd, 1:59 pm

Of my 44 Platinum trophies, I have 7 of those on the list.

I wonder what some of the Rarest platinums are…like to see where my MLB 9, 10 and 11 The Show plats stack.

March 2nd, 3:55 pm

Maybe that’s our next story – rarest platinums.

megamixer said:

March 2nd, 1:59 pm

The only one of those games I have is Sly. That was a good platinum. I got the Jak 1 platinum so I’ll hope to see it on next years list :D

“Few multiplayer Trophies – None of the games listed have the dreaded “Hit Level 50 Rank in Multiplayer.” Even the multiplayer-heavy Modern Warfare 2 saves most of its Trophies for the campaign and Spec Ops missions”

See this developers? Do away with online trophies. They do nothing but turn games into boost-fests. Or, make them not requried for the platinum.

March 2nd, 3:56 pm

You’re not going to rate this story??
    :P

JoeTheBeast16 said:

March 2nd, 1:59 pm

Am I the only person that wants to know what 3 platinums Jeff has?!?!
Seriously, I wanna know what games You liked enough to spend that much time on!!
Give us the list of games that You guys at the Playstation Blog offices have platinum’ed!! :p

March 2nd, 3:57 pm

Assassin’s Creed II, Sly 1, Skyrim.
    I’m very close on a few titles that I got too busy to finish completely: inFamous, Mass Effect 2, and a couple others.

that-acmilan-guy said:

March 2nd, 2:00 pm

Very interesting inside, AC 2 requires a lot of dedication with those feathers so it’s good to see a lot of dedicated players out there.

Which reminds me Jeff. When will Sony release the trophy API to third party developers/website or get an upgrade trophy card. Right now websites can’t keep track which games you played in recent order (not trophy order) and the amount of time you invested in those games.

FORMIK said:

March 2nd, 2:00 pm

Jeff,

I would like the trophies from the Vita to also be viewed on the PS3. Currently it looks like different parts of the PSN are being used, as I recently received a friend request on my PS3 from someone I met in a Vita game and they were level 2, with 0 trophies shown.

It would be appreciated even more now than before if we can remove games from our trophy list – even if we’ve earned trophies from the game. I’m fine with my level score being reduced, there’s just some games’ trophies I won’t pursue and would rather they not be on my list.

The only way we can tell if others in our friends list have a game of ours is by comparing trophies. Can we get a “Common Games” feature in the Friends tab of the PS3 and in the Friends app of the Vita, that will allow us to also send message to those with shared games?

Finally, could we get something other than bragging rights for trophy levels? Perhaps PSN avatars and panels for Vita profiles?

RedGiant17 said:

March 2nd, 2:00 pm

Very cool idea to share this kind of info Jeff.

On a related note, is there a reason some newer game trophies aren’t view able on the us.Playstation.com website for quite a while after release? I have Uncharted 3, R3 and Motorstorm Apocalypse and they don’t show up in my trophy list.

March 2nd, 3:58 pm

You’re right about that being an issue. I hit a dead end investigating the glitch it but will pick it back up.

oZc-Gauss said:

March 2nd, 2:02 pm

I HATE THE RIDICULOUS TROPHIES ONLINE LIKE TO: “GET A TRIPLE KILL IN THE AIR WHILE YOU ARE WITH 1% OF ENERGY … WHATEVER” … BECAUSE I CAN`T GET THE PLATIMUN OF AC: BOTHERHOOD :/

kivi95 said:

March 2nd, 2:03 pm

God Of War 3 released 2010 ;)

March 2nd, 3:58 pm

You are correct. The years are blending together.

soccer5bl said:

March 2nd, 2:05 pm

I’ve got 6/10 but I wonder if trophy hacks was considered on this list. Other sites (ps3trophies.org) gives long discussion to this issue.

LordICO_USA said:

March 2nd, 2:07 pm

Thanks for suggesting the developers to STOP implementing online trophies, is not fair to buy a game value priced few years after launching, only to discover that (a Trophy Hunter like me anyway) you cannot get those online trophies due to servers shutting down or lack of online players.

And one for Playstation: it has been suggested, asked and demanded, please make an official leaderboard of all PS3 players, according to their levels and trophies, you have this power, all the other leaderboards are just estimates, I think would be interesting and fun to know, don’t you think?

SpiritThief said:

March 2nd, 2:09 pm

Multplayer trophies suck the most some times.

I’d like to see more challenging trophies like Dead Space *One Gun* Vanquish *Living Legend*, Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, Star Ocean *Do just about everything there is to do* But they don’t have none of that kill X with X this many times or any of the junk.

Wipeout HD was great until Bling Bahahaaha you think your getting trophy. Not many people take the time to beat a single player racer. You needed to beat it yes, but you also need 8 other people to beat their game too.

More challenge less boosting.

Only games like CounterStrike Source(Steam) or WarHawk/STARHAWK should have MP trophies like they do. Red Dead and GTA might have fun MP but the trophies created farmers and over time you can’t find many people to play for fun anymore. They just want to farm trophies and when you go against that, kicked.

Richard919 said:

March 2nd, 2:10 pm

i have every single one of those except sly cooper

im up to 46 plats with games including killzone 2, mag, and dead space 2. some of the harder plats that im proud of

March 2nd, 3:59 pm

Sly Collection has 3 Platinums on 1 disc – a good value.

Zieghardt said:

March 2nd, 2:11 pm

I’d like to know the 10 least earned too, as well as the most/least earned by percentage of players who played the game if that’d be possible at some point

March 2nd, 4:00 pm

i wasn’t able to get the percentages, which is why I didn’t include them. The percentage is of course much higher for Sly Cooper than MW2.

Drunk-ass said:

March 2nd, 2:12 pm

Thanks for the great column! I would love to see more like this.

March 2nd, 4:00 pm

Thanks! Stats are always fun, so when we get them, we share.

lisatsunami said:

March 2nd, 2:17 pm

This ongoing competition with you & Sid is hilarious.

I only have one plat, for Skyrim
(making note to check out CSI & Hannah Montana….)

March 2nd, 4:00 pm

We can hardly call it competition, can we?

Skyrim is a good ‘gamer cred’ Platinum to get, I think. Took me 98 hours. You?

avanfreak23 said:

March 2nd, 2:19 pm

I have those 10 platinums, none of thse are really hard, but it takes some time. is funny how many people can’t do easy trophies and the just quit on it

ryaniscool47 said:

March 2nd, 2:20 pm

The Uncharted games are definitely the easiest to platinum. Uncharted 3 is a very easy platinum as well. If you want another super easy one, Dead Space was very easy to get. Dead Space 2 is harder though, still working on that one.

March 2nd, 4:01 pm

I dunno, beating the game on Crushing isn’t what I’d call ‘easy’.

D-Squad3 said:

March 2nd, 2:23 pm

This allows devs how many people play their games.

D-Squad3 said:

March 2nd, 2:24 pm

to know*

Butters360 said:

March 2nd, 2:25 pm

It’s all about those Platinum Trophies peoples! I wish Sony would actual make those available to buy. I would love to look at my desk and see a physical Platinum Trophy stare back at me :)

March 2nd, 4:01 pm

I’d like to see it too, but it looks super pointy. LAWSUIT!

KomatosRecords said:

March 2nd, 2:27 pm

Jeff–

Big question for you (and the rest of the Sony U.S. staff):

How come the us.playstation.com website hasn’t added new games and trophies since March or April of 2011? I’ve played many games since them, and none of them are showing up. I even platinumed two new games (Ace Combat: Assault Horizon and God of War Origins Collection: Chains of Olympus). I noticed this started happening around the month and a half downtime we had due to the PSN network hacking. That is around the time Socom 4 came out, and trophies for new games stopped showing up. The games are even listed on the us.playstation.com website. All my trophies and games are shown with no problem on the uk.playstation.com website (and presumably other non US playstation websites). I’ve almost got a platinum in Socom 4 (1 trophy left to go; beat all levels on Elite difficulty), and the game doesn’t even show up. Please add all missing games like the EU Sony sites show. It’s a travesty the US site is so far behind.

March 2nd, 4:02 pm

At this point, all I can do is agree with you.

LokeSTL said:

March 2nd, 2:27 pm

I noticed that the Vita AR games don’t have trophies. I was under the impression that all Vita format games would have trophies, similar to what you do with PS3 games(minis aside). Can you clarify please?

March 2nd, 4:03 pm

Nothing to clarify. They’re not full games as much as they are just tech demos. Cool that they have leaderboards, though.

alx681 said:

March 2nd, 2:28 pm

only one im missing is resident evil 5.. couldnt stand the stupid camera views.. never made it past the 3rd chapter..
finding all the shards in the first infamous was a major pain, but the game was so much fun that i didnt care..
borderlands mad moxxi trophies were a absolute grind..

love platinums : )

Nader-Abudiix said:

March 2nd, 2:28 pm

Awesome list, and best thing about is that i have earned all those platinums :D uncharted 1 was my first plat and jak and daxter 1(not on this list) was my plat #124

M-Easy said:

March 2nd, 2:28 pm

First off EVERYTHING mentioned post #18 should be implemented. Plus, I love it when trophies get some blog love. Currently sitting at 112 plats, I have 9of10 of those platted so I approve of this list.

Psikorps said:

March 2nd, 2:29 pm

Only plat out of those 10 that I have is Borderlands, interesting list though.

*2 Requests*

1: Vita trophies being able to be seen/compared on PS3.
2: Vita users be able to include a small message with friend requests.

MP_is_for_Chumps said:

March 2nd, 2:30 pm

I recently deleted my old PSN account because I hate online trophies so much.

…anyway Jeff, have you heard about the Platinum Trophy as PSN Avatars idea going around on forums? Basically the plan is that whenever you Platinum a game, the artwork for that plat trophy becomes unlocked and the player can use it as their PSN Avatar.

A really cool idea that lots of psn users have talked about. I think it’s on blog share as well, but it’s a shame Sony higher ups seem to be ignoring it.

March 2nd, 4:04 pm

It is a cool idea, but I don’t know if it’s as easy as it sounds. Unlocking things outside of a game from within a game is not a simple procedure. That said, it is a great idea.

ArchAngelMai said:

March 2nd, 2:32 pm

Amazing, none of which are difficult Platinum’s to get. Why don’t you try and get a Platinum that doesn’t take 40 hours to get….
@28, thank you for proving my point.
Bioshock,
Dead Space 2,
Star Ocean: The Last Hope,
Disgaea 3,
Final Fantasy XIII,
Marvel vs Capcom 3,
KOF XIII,
Super Street Fighter 4,
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2,
Catherine.
These are just a few examples of Platinum’s worth bragging about.

Teflon02 said:

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
bout to be level 14, 1 more percent lol
others noted 100%
Gunstar Heroes
Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fist of Plastic
Sly Mini Games (too easy smh lol)
Sonic Adventure (with DX also 100%)
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 episode 1
Welcome Park
LOL, I’m going to start platinum & 100% everything like before :). I’m trying to do Resistance 3 and FFXIII right now and Rayman Origins for Vita

mpb93 said:

March 2nd, 2:33 pm

Jeff what you do 4 playstation is so cool can you tell me how to get a job at playstation or how to work your way up

Yohmaru_EX said:

March 2nd, 2:34 pm

hey sony, can you give us some awards for the numbers of ours trophies??? Avatars, Wallpapers, Themes…or bonus discount in the ps store.

Teflon02 said:

March 2nd, 2:35 pm

@40 Yes! FFXIII, SSFIV both discouraged be from platinums lol. but i’m coming back strong. Sonic Unleashed is actually hard. probably the hardest I did

Link01 said:

March 2nd, 2:40 pm

I love the stats! Keep this stuff up. BTW, are you guys considering a PSBlog app for Vita? Seriously?

March 2nd, 4:06 pm

Considering, yes. Timeline? Not yet.

lPHOENIXZEROl said:

March 2nd, 2:44 pm

I own ACII, Uncharted 2, inFamous, Uncharted, GoW HD Collection and The Sly Collection. Out of those I Platinum’D ACII, inFamous and Uncharted. Finished U2 but haven’t gotten back to it and haven’t even started the GoW HD Collection or Sly Collection even though I’ve had both for ages now. >_<

Too many distractions……

ArchAngelMai said:

March 2nd, 2:45 pm

@44
Yeah, took me 125 hours for FFXIII and 285 hours for Disgaea 3.

DemoniOtaku said:

March 2nd, 2:54 pm

I have played almost all of those games.. an I liked.. But Only inFAMOUS drove to get its platinum… With so much awesome games on PS3 and little time to spend with them, I just play and continue to next once the game is “ended”… I only spend more of the usual in Fighting games.. but have Tekken 6 Platinum Only..

That’s Why I’m glad to see inFAMOUS on that list.. That game is SO special… and the second part is AWESOME too… and that will be my next platinum once I end with ALL the AWESOME games that the last year had… and there are somes that I haven´t bought yet.. :/

What a pain to have a PS3 and not so much time to spend gaming…

EDILBERTO said:

March 2nd, 2:56 pm

That cool they came out with a top 10 platinums,I own 5 out of 10 I did not get into the other ones not because they not good just did not get I to them.They are 4,5,6,8,10 those are part of my 35 platinum list

PAGE 1 2 3 5