PlayStation VR

Mar 09

Mar 09

Wrap Your Head Around PixelJunk 4am With This GDC Demonstration

Lorenzo Grajales's Avatar Posted by Sr. Public Relations Specialist Latin America - Sony Computer Entertainment

From the moment we got our first glimpse of PixelJunk 4am, we knew it was like nothing we’d ever seen before. Q-Games always strives to deliver distinctive games with one-of-a-kind experiences. With PixelJunk 4am, they chose to bring this concept to a whole new level. Watch the video to see a live performance and learn more about how the game works.

But what exactly is PixelJunk 4am? A game? An instrument? To answer this question, we turned to Rowan Parker, who explained it from the floor of a launch party held during the 2012 Game Developers Conference where DJ Baiyon “played” for the lucky attendees.

PixelJunk 4am is easy to understand once you have the PlayStation Move motion controller in your hands and the visualizer appears. It varies with each “presentation,” but you can change it at any time by pressing the Select button. What’s important is for the music to “live” in the air, so to speak.

With PS Move, you grab hold of the sound from four different instruments (represented by the four control buttons) and unleash them onto the screen, creating a different sound depending on your movement. You can create layers of audio and then manipulate them as you wish. You can also invent new sounds using the controller and distort the effects by moving the PS Move closer to or farther away from the visualizer.

In the final version of the game, you’ll be able to share your presentations on the PlayStation Network, even with users who do not have the game — all you’ll need is the free viewer application, which enables you to tune into presentations as they are happening or listen to recordings from your favorite artists.

PixelJunk 4am for the PS3 will be available this spring exclusively on the PlayStation Network.

Add Your Own

Wario64 said:

March 9th, 1:41 pm

So good. Pixeljunk + Baiyon = awesomeness.

Tchanku said:

March 9th, 1:44 pm

I don’t quite get it.

pinsandneedls said:

March 9th, 1:46 pm

This looks amazing!!! The free viewer application is a great idea. This is such a good year for gamers!!

Thwip said:

March 9th, 1:50 pm

Wow…some truly unique games living on, or coming to, the PlayStation Network…amazing! This genre (if you can call it that), isn’t something I personally find myself all that interested in, but I will buy it just to support the vision.

whatisdelicious said:

March 9th, 1:57 pm

a) The free viewer application is cool, as long as that’s just for people who don’t own 4am. If I already own 4am, it should simply be integrated into the game so I don’t need two executables. Just a convenience issue.
b) I really hope there’s a demo for this.

DwayneW1987 said:

March 9th, 2:00 pm

I played this at Fantastic Fest and it war AWESOME! Can’t wait for this!

Carl-G said:

March 9th, 2:39 pm

I wish someone would do a ‘MUSIC 2000′(the PS1 game)or ‘MUSIC 3000′(the PS2 game) for the PS3 but make it a bit like ‘Logic Pro 9’ :P

+ i did these tracks just using the PS1 & PS2 –

;)

Anyway looks cool this game/music thingy:D + i love the name ‘4am’ (i think i did a track called ‘1am’ once to, LoL)

Robbie_G_lrish said:

March 9th, 2:57 pm

Well… this is certainly the most interesting implementation of Move that I’ve seen yet.

SKeRJ said:

March 9th, 3:08 pm

@#5
If you have 4am you don’t need the viewer application, that is as they said just for people who didn’t purchase 4am so they can still view the festivities, an excellent move (hah) I say.

Either way, I can’t wait for this to hit and I’m glad the Move is being showcased as something on its own and not just motion control add on gimmicks.

Quick questions that probably won’t be answered:

Will we be able to adjust the tempo?
Can we create our own samples with the PSEye microphone?
Is the Nav controller used in any way?
Will I only be stuck with IDM sounds or will I be able to produce things in multiple genres?

YODA798907 said:

March 9th, 4:06 pm

Great concept and idea, this can go way beyond the living room. I can honestly see this being used in a techno club, a good DJ can have a field day with this!!

GibbShift said:

March 9th, 4:19 pm

Day one. You had me at “phat bass.” :DDDD

Ryuhza said:

March 9th, 4:41 pm

Cool demonstration, but I have trouble seeing this as more than a limited visual music maker.

playaplus said:

March 9th, 4:56 pm

oh snap, this is sounding cool

Surfaced said:

March 9th, 5:42 pm

I WAS THERE @ Super7!!! So cramped. Shout out to Rey, Deb Mars, Baiyon and Dylan!

drakenbutch said:

March 9th, 6:02 pm

WHEN WILL MW3 BE IN PSN STORE ?????

Chuckbait said:

March 9th, 7:15 pm

This application looks great.

On a separate note, what happened to the PSN game Storm, for the the playstation 3. It came out, and now it seems to be missing from the store….

GODFATHERTIG said:

March 9th, 8:50 pm

IT WOULD BE COOL IF U WERE on DRUGS! BUT other than that not for everyone that has kids and a family. Only for when your exing out with a chick At 4am trien to get sUm!

xeballzak said:

March 9th, 9:31 pm

this is why gotham city impostors dont have the dlc.cuz sony is havin parties holdin there phalic symbols i get it now

DrPhiill said:

March 10th, 12:15 am

Looks really cool and i love the use of the move, can be really fun to play around with, cant wait to see more and ofc a release date!

Dave-la-kingenbo said:

March 10th, 12:56 am

I don’t see the point, it looks like the single most arbitrary game of all time

fathead170 said:

March 10th, 1:35 am

yeah so heres my rant an its only my opinion an no im not a troll as many times as u say it will never be true! anyways i love pixeljunk monsters and eden was pretty goodi also like racer. but other then that pixeljunk has been crap. i never liked any of the shooters or whatever the third shooter was. looking at this i have feeling i wont get this either its a shame. as much as i want pixeljunk to suceed due to some great games i wonder wth they are thinking all these resources wasted obviously sales are reflecting this. quit making crap pixeljunk and go back to makeing good psn exclusives!

Psycho_Eddie said:

March 10th, 2:33 am

˙ǝɯɐƃ ɐ ʇou s,ʇı ʇɐɥʇ ʇdǝɔxƎ ˙ǝɯɐƃ uı ʎɐƃ ǝɥʇ ʇnd oʇ ʎɐM ˙uǝɥʇ ʎʇɥƃıɹl∀

All right, all right, I apologize. I’m really, really sorry. I apologize unreservedly. I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact and was in no way fair comment and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

smthng said:

March 10th, 5:03 am

I was actually pretty interested in this until I saw the clip in this post… He made this look seriously boring. It basically sounds like you’re just using a move controller to manage four tracks and set of Casio keyboard drum pads. They’d better be some seriously slamming songs in order for me to spend more than $2 on this. You’ve given me a sad. :(

NamesIrish13 said:

March 10th, 8:32 am

The last time I witnessed someone that skinny, playing that type of music was when I had taken way to much x. Cool idea, just dont think it will catch on with the average/hardcore gamer. Maybe kids and people on drugs will like it a lot, and they can play it at 4am when Im a sleep.

To each their own though…

sciteach said:

March 10th, 10:52 am

I am intrigued, but the video showed a lot of how it will work, but i didn’t get a sense of how it plays out. i guess a hands on would be better for me to see it/feel it

CaveBo said:

March 10th, 11:41 am

This looks awesome!

TQcast said:

March 10th, 12:04 pm

Just bring Pixel Junk Monsters 2 already!!

drakenbutch said:

March 10th, 10:48 pm

can anyone answer me when will mw3 be in psn store i can buy it????????????????????????

fester420 said:

March 11th, 8:17 am

The only question I have is about the pronunciation, is it pronounced four a.m. or fouram?

Surfaced said:

March 11th, 11:33 am

@ 29

Pronounced “Four EY-EM.”

b00kthree said:

March 11th, 9:47 pm

I got to super 7 at 8:15 and they were already taking the demo down. Nice to meet the PixelJunk folks face-to-face though. I did get to see it at the Sony booth.

GT-420 said:

March 12th, 11:22 am

If your lithe appearance rivals Angelina, get your arse to a 5 guys. Bacon cheese all the way.