Final Fantasy XV

Mar 22

Mar 22

LittleBigPlanet Karting is Coming to PS3!

Siobhan Reddy's Avatar Posted by Studio Director, Media Molecule

Earlier this year, we cut some cake and popped some champagne to celebrate Media Molecule’s sixth birthday! We’ve had an awesome time during the last six years, seeing how the experiment we started here in Guildford has grown, giving rise to a thriving LittleBigPlanet community. This year will be no different, filled with DLC, plus new experiments from the LBP family for you to play with.

You already know about the fantastic LBP work that Tarsier Studios and Double Eleven Studios are doing on LittleBigPlanet for PS Vita, and now we are delighted to announce today a new LBP collaboration with the hugely talented team at United Front Games who will be leading a new project called LittleBigPlanet Karting! We’ve all seen that UFG has a wealth of racing experience and they’re also intimately familiar with LBP’s cornerstones of “Play, Create, Share.” With LBP’s powerful and diverse toolset in their capable hands, LittleBigPlanet Karting is sure to be an adventure that both LBP fans and kart-racing fans alike will enjoy! We are eager to see what you think of this union and especially excited to see what happens now that you can create in a 3D environment — it’s the start of a whole new LBP world! Have a look at the debut trailer to see for yourself.

LittleBigPlanet! Lots of love!

LittleBigPlanet Karting for PS3

James Grieve, Sr. Producer, United Front Games

Thank you to everyone at Media Molecule, we greatly appreciate the warm welcome into the LittleBigPlanet family. The team here at United Front Games has long been huge fans of LBP and all of the exceptional work done by everyone at Mm. Sackboy has become one of the iconic gaming characters of this generation and to have the opportunity to make a LittleBigPlanet game ourselves is truly an honor.

It has been a joy to collaborate with all of the folks at Mm. Since the project’s inception, they have been great partners in getting to where we are today. Looking ahead, we can’t wait for all of the LBP fans out there to get their hands on LittleBigPlanet Karting. The LBP community is unparalleled in the gaming world for the passion and creativity they bring and it’s going to be exciting to see where they’re able to take this new journey for Sackboy.

LittleBigPlanet Karting for PS3

LittleBigPlanet Karting for PS3LittleBigPlanet Karting for PS3

Our goal with LBP Karting has been fairly simple – provide a fast-paced experience that captures the best of classic karting gameplay, married with the unbridled creativity of LBP. This new adventure will be accessible to players of all ages and have all of the variety necessary to satisfy both the hardcore and more casual players.

This is an LBP game, so we could never talk about it without mentioning the Create tools. LBP Karting is set in an entirely 3D world that will enable players to create rich and varied gameplay experiences. Tons of familiar LBP gadgets will be present, along with a new toolbox specifically tailored to allow for building in LBP Karting’s 3D world. Along with fan-favorite racing and battle modes, players will be able to modify the rules of the game itself to create completely new modes and challenges. All of this is wrapped up in a community experience that should have LBP fans feeling right at home.

Well, that’s all for now, but we’re looking forward to sharing more news on this exciting new game in the coming weeks so stay tuned for more info and get ready for the new world of LittleBigPlanet Karting in 2012!

Kart_Team_Mar_2012

LittleBigPlanet Karting for PS3

Add Your Own

Teflon02 said:

March 22nd, 8:29 am

2 or 4 players?

R-O-Ofaliss said:

March 22nd, 8:32 am

Wait… Your competitor has the 7th installment of the best selling kart game ever. All Vita has is a useless version of a kart game that only has relevance because stubborn loyalist won’t purchase hardware from your competitor.

You have a chance to make it right, and in a big way, and you don’t even think to capitalize on it!?

Smh…

If you want a Vita you better get one now, because Sony seems hell-bent on letting it fail.

FunkyTable said:

March 22nd, 8:34 am

I sincerely hope that alternately mapped control schemes will be available for this game. I loved Modnation Racers, but I could not play through the game with my wife or my sister-in law due to the fact that their hands felt uncomfortable holding down the shoulder buttons. Please include a control scheme where we could have the accelerate button mapped to one of the face buttons rather than a shoulder button.

Siobhan Reddy's Avatar

James Grieve said:

March 22nd, 9:19 am

Hey FunkyTable, this is something that has definitely been on the team’s radar, so hopefully you’ll like what you find in LBPK when you get your hands on it.

Link01 said:

March 22nd, 8:48 am

Oh, this game was also rumored to have Move support. Hows that a looking? :D Very happy it’ll support 3D though!

dimispe said:

March 22nd, 8:57 am

Hi. Is there online competitive multiplayer? Because in the trailer, there is no mention of online competitive multiplayer. If there is, how many players? 8? 12?

Siobhan Reddy's Avatar

James Grieve said:

March 22nd, 9:20 am

Hi dimispe, the game will definitely include online competitive multiplayer, with up to 8 players competing online at once in Races, Battles and other events!

Zezzler said:

March 22nd, 9:01 am

Media Molecule plus United Front Games!? My favorite platformer plus my favorite kart racer!? How could this get any better??
Wait… There’s a battle mode too? 4 player split screen?
Sold. Day one. Without a doubt.

Major_Hoare said:

March 22nd, 9:07 am

In other news: The studio that forgot to include online multiplayer with Modnation: Road Trip is being closed.

DaxMontana said:

March 22nd, 9:10 am

For those of you looking for an awesome Mario Kart-style game (with local split-screen and an adult flair), definitely check out BLUR.

You can probably find it new for like $10. And it’s the most fun I’ve had racing on the PS3 with friends.

GreenJedii said:

March 22nd, 9:12 am

Looks great, but I will only be getting this if there’s Move support. I know it will seem like a copycat, but you guys have got to make an official steering wheel attachment to go with this because I loved playing Mario Kart Wii with the wheel and I think it will help win over some of the casual market, kids and Mario Karters, myself included!

Siobhan Reddy's Avatar

Mark Valledor said:

March 22nd, 9:28 am

Don’t worry, we have something in the works for your steering needs!

remanutd5 said:

March 22nd, 9:13 am

where is ModNation Racers Road Trip head to head online multiplayer ? the game is great but could be better with that patch , Little Big Planet karting looks really fun too

austinite04 said:

March 22nd, 9:16 am

Wow, Now I can SELL my MNR Blu-ray.. I’m Sick of the STUPID load times.. MNR is DEAD. This totally looks like MNR in a LBP world themed style.. I LOVE LBP… So I hope they can find a way to make load screens a flicker on the screen instead of a BURNED IN IMAGE… No one plays my AWESOME MNR tracks anymore so, Yeah, I’ve Given up hope of ever getting a Platinum Trophy.. I WON’T MAKE endless drift levels, sorry I actually MAKE unique Race Tracks… I THOUGHT that was the point of MNR, I guees the real objective is to create BUGGED tracks that warp you into the sky, and let you spin 100,000 times… SAD… UFG, you BETTER make LBPK SOOOOOOO much better.. IN everyway… NO more unlimited drift!! It’s so stupid.. Looks like this game is kinda flat, so I hope they don’t have huge towers of drift tracks.. I’m really gonna sell MNR now.. and btw, I want A FULL REFUND OF ALL THE Stupid MNR DLC…

Heisem said:

March 22nd, 9:17 am

add jet skis and i’ll buy it…

Siobhan Reddy's Avatar

Mark Valledor said:

March 22nd, 10:25 am

better idea….make a jet ski level and we’ll play it!!! Or we’ll ask the Create community to create one and we’ll race you on it :)

dimispe said:

March 22nd, 9:18 am

in my question up,about online competitive multiplayer, i mean head to head multiplayer. So, is there head to head online multiplayer? 8 players? 12 players?

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

March 22nd, 9:25 am

LBPK shouldve just bin a MNR huge update..wih the new MODES and BOUNCE PADS and GRAPPLE HOOKS.This wouldve set the sales extremely high. Im not really feeling the graphics of LBP as a kart racer but i guess im going to have to adjust. Also i just want to say that if its possible for a Kart Racing game..im sure we can see a FULL 3D world LBP game soon. Keep up the good work MM and learn from your mistakes UFG..more modes = more fun! and money :p

Zoidzerg said:

March 22nd, 9:34 am

Most people have been mentioning load times as a serious detriment to MDR.

While I echo that sentiment (perhaps less loudly) one thing I think would be good to address to is split screen. MDR split screen only allowed 4 human players (no computer players), and I forget how it broke down when it was 3 and 2 players. In my house hold when people wanted to fire up a racing game MDR was rarely played on this singular fact alone. We all liked it better than Mario Kart Wii, loved that we could play tracks other than the same old stuff over and over and over (yay, for user created content!), thought it was prettier, etc. BUT, the chaos and mayhem that comes from many other players besides us 4 (or rotating 5-8) was the trump card.

So, assuming I am not in the minority on this, please try and work some magic so that split screen can accommodate 4 players.

Now that I am done criticizing (hopefully constructively!) I am excited to get this, MDR was a good game and LBP1+2 are among my favorite games. Good luck/sanity to you guys as you work on this project!

rera121989 said:

March 22nd, 9:37 am

Can’t wait… hopefully the release day is in the summer

Zoidzerg said:

March 22nd, 9:37 am

Sorry meant, ‘can accommodate 4 players and up to 8 computer players.’

Tchanku said:

March 22nd, 9:42 am

I don’t know what this says about me…I’m not much of a racing guy, But I love everything Sackboy…so I will get this day one…probably just to support the franchise.

PhoenixRush said:

March 22nd, 9:42 am

Please UFG, for the love of all things holy, make sure this game works properly with Westell routers. ModNation Racers would be way better if it weren’t for this lousy issue. Do this, and you’ll have my support. Don’t, and it’ll leave a very bad taste in my mouth.

austinite04 said:

March 22nd, 9:43 am

@ 65, LOAD SCREENS ARE the main issue of MNR.. even after countless updates it still takes FOREVER to load anything in that game… I was in the closed Beta, and knew there was more than a few bugs, I thought they were gonna fix them, but sadly, nope… I really feel sorry for the Vita owners that bought road trip.. that game is Brand new and is basically DOA… people still might play it, but the dev’s have really said no more MNR… Load screens KILL THE FUN UFG.. Learn how to do what rockstar games did, make loading persistant in the background, like when you go from a subway tunnel to the seat of a plane flying over Liberty city, there should NEVER be load screens… Also, Customizable Controls.. why didn’t you guys create more options???

JayJay2515 said:

March 22nd, 9:47 am

I hope I can live my mario kart double dash dreams on my ps3, that game is kart racing gold but the lack of maps made the reply value kinda low, but no need to worry about tracks, also you guys think you can work in custom soundtrack and maybe have that 1 CPU that always seems to catch up (even from dead last)

PhoenixRush said:

March 22nd, 9:50 am

@71 ModNation had custom soundtrack support, so expect it here too. And that CPU thing is in just about every kart racer.

JayJay2515 said:

March 22nd, 9:52 am

Btw I’m joking about that Cpu, mario kart DD would have that 1 CPU who would always catch right back up even from falling off track or something but I’m serious about custom soundtrack (I’m know I’m not the only one would would love to listen to the music on their ps3 while killing it)

guitarded77 said:

March 22nd, 9:58 am

Then the leaked pics of the cardboard display from a couple months back were real. I hope Sony keeps it up with the PS3 exclusives. The Last of Us, LBP Karting, new Sly, Santa Monica project (GoW4 maybe), Starhawk, Quantic Dream’s new project, GG’s new project. Sony shows no sign of slowing support for the PS3… Keep it up, I’m not ready for this gen to end yet.

Miggy11 said:

March 22nd, 9:59 am

This game looks fantastic! I have a couple of questions, Modnation had severe restricitions on how many cpu racers there were on 3-4 splitscreen. Does lbp Karting still have restrictions like this or are there any cpu racers at all?

Also It took way too long in Modnation to even play online, are you going to make it easier to get into an online match?

Littlebigkatie03 said:

March 22nd, 10:00 am

PS3s mario kart

ROLO_ONFIRE said:

March 22nd, 10:00 am

So MNR is officially dead? I’m sad.
is it safe to say that all of us that bought the vita version are screwed forever with loading times and not online play?

FunkyTable said:

March 22nd, 10:05 am

+ James Grieve on March 22nd, 2012 at 9:19 am said:

Thanks so much, That will make this game a must-buy for sure, since I’ll be able to play through it with my wife.

Bloody_Marcel said:

March 22nd, 10:07 am

Wasn’t this rumored to support the PlayStation Move (along with dedicated wheel peripheral)?

Siobhan Reddy's Avatar

James Grieve said:

March 22nd, 11:14 am

Hey Bloody_Marcel, stand by for some news on this front in the coming months.

poisonedsodapop said:

March 22nd, 10:11 am

My love for LBP makes me want this game but my dislike for racing games makes me not want this game. Oh the dilemma.

JoeTheBeast16 said:

March 22nd, 10:18 am

I’d love to know what this means for the future of Modnation.

BlackLemonade said:

March 22nd, 10:19 am

The difficulty of the original Modnation Racers just seemed cheap (even after an update that was suppose to address it) please don’t make this game as frustrating and touchy.

sesyjon said:

March 22nd, 10:20 am

This looks pretty awesome! Looking forward to it.

TwinDad said:

March 22nd, 10:26 am

This post reminded me to see if I can get Modnation Racers on the cheap finally.

LBPK looks fun.

escosia1 said:

March 22nd, 10:29 am

Hope this game come soon to latin america along with PSN Store.

alx681 said:

March 22nd, 10:41 am

Hi, so excited to finally see and official announcement and trailer for this. (heard the rumors) Love LBP… Love MNR.. this is a match made in heaven for me..
any chance you can mention which quarter this might be coming out ??

Hooligantuan said:

March 22nd, 10:45 am

I dunno about the name of this, the more I think about it.

Roll that around on the discussion table, guys.

se096681 said:

March 22nd, 10:46 am

What’s the point of the vita then? I am dissapointed to hear there are no plans for this on the vita are developers not on board wih it? I would love to see it on the vita i would get it in a heartbeat but for the ps3 i think i can live without it…i will be dissapointed if more games in the future like this get bypassed on the vita platform.

shadow2797 said:

March 22nd, 10:46 am

Glad to see it has a Battle mode, as that was one of the the biggest (and most puzzling) omissions from MNR. With the battle mode, I’ll definitely have to look into getting this.

Nates4Christ said:

March 22nd, 11:00 am

I love this trailer and I am very excited. I was skeptical since I am a modnation fan, but now I really want to play this. I really hope the music for the game is as good as the trailer. It has a very catchy up tune to it.

Siobhan Reddy's Avatar

James Grieve said:

March 22nd, 11:16 am

Thanks Nates4Christ, glad you like the song. Our audio crew here are working with some amazingly talented composers and licensed artists to put together an incredible soundtrack for the game. If you like this, you’ll love the rest :)

hypersk_us said:

March 22nd, 11:10 am

Wow, I have LittleBigPlanet and also ModNation Racers for both PSP and PS3 and I can’t wait for this!

I just want to tell you something that really annoyed me every time I played MNR in the single player campaign, the AI is really hard and cheap, I get frustrated every time I play it even on the easier difficulty setting.

And well, perhaps multiplayer is more important in this kind of game where the focus is playing with others and sharing, but passing the single player was needed in order to unlock all the creation and customization stuff. I also see it as a practice field before even attempting multiplayer.

I hope you keep that in mind :)

hypersk_us said:

March 22nd, 11:20 am

Also, do you know “Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing”??? That’s a really good kart game and one of my personal PS3 favorite games.

If you could implement some of it’s strong points (without infringing copyright or something) from it, it would be really nice.

For example:
-Some tracks have really wicked loops and you can drive upside-down in some sections, I always wanted to do that in MNR but couldn’t…
-There are various types of carts: normal cars, bikes which are lighter and can do tricks like wheelies, hovering vehicles which remain unaffected by terrain and some pits but are much harder to control, etc… The game-play varies a lot depending on the type of vehicle you use…

Keep the ideas rolling… ;)

Siobhan Reddy's Avatar

James Grieve said:

March 22nd, 11:40 am

Hey hypersk_us, there are some good suggestions in there :)

If you take another look at the trailer, you’ll see what is only a small portion of the kart types we are offering in the game. You should be able to spot a little bit of action from the bike in there along with a couple of the awesome hover-karts. i’m blown away by where our kart guys have gone with some of these designs, we’ve barely scratched the surface with what’s been shown so far.

Like you, the team here also loves some of the vertical gameplay offered by loops and other crazy types of tracks. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with some of the stuff you will find on offer in LBPK :)

pirate_jared said:

March 22nd, 11:34 am

Wait, no Vita version? You must be joking. It’s a brand new peripheral that supports cross platform play and you’re not developing this for Vita? What a shame.

manobon said:

March 22nd, 11:43 am

I know you’ve answered the Vita question so many times, but! If there are no plans for it to come to the Vita, Could it be ported for the Vita (with Cross Play support) down the line, or does the game depend too heavily on the PS3 architecture for that to be a possibility?

emiru69 said:

March 22nd, 11:44 am

Can you please, update the Flash on the Vita? It’s really surprising that I can’t watch this trailer on my Vita. (Also please fix Near)

bentonC said:

March 22nd, 11:46 am

At first, I was a little skeptical about this. I mean, I love LBP and MNR but in my head I was like, “what a punch in the face to the MNR series”. Then I find out that UFG is part of this, then the world makes sense again! I cannot wait to start creating in a 3D world!! I will definitely be picking this up day uno!!!

MONTENERO said:

March 22nd, 11:53 am

The only two games that my wife plays with me are ModNation Racers and Little Big Planet. Now, this will be a killer!
I actually didn’t like this americanized competion mode with sleazy commentator in MNR, so glad that it will be swapped for LBP’s charm. Please make a PSP version too – there are 4 of them in my household.

hypersk_us said:

March 22nd, 12:00 pm

Thanks for your answer James!

To be honest I haven’t got the chance to watch the trailer, I’m currently at the office and they somehow blocked video streaming over the net… Oh well, can’t wait to get home and watch it! :)

I’m really glad that you are already incorporating these ideas into the mix, this game is looking to be the best Kart Racer of all time :o

khknight said:

March 22nd, 12:04 pm

So let me get this straight.

UFG is killing off its own original game, a game I loved.

To make a LBP racer instead of MNR2? WTF