God of War

Apr 10

Apr 10

Sly Cooper Steals the Cover of PlayStation: The Official Magazine

Roger Burchill's Avatar Posted by Editor in Chief, PlayStation: The Official Magazine

Sly ’s back, and the anthropomorphic raccoon has never looked better. PTOM’s May issue cover features one of PS2’s most beloved platformer protagonists as he prepares to star in his first all-new PS3 entry. Though original developer Sucker Punch has stepped aside, our visit with Thieves in Time’s developer Sanzaru Games indicates that the fourth game in the series is in good and capable hands.

PTOM: Sly Cooper

Elsewhere in the issue, the battle rages on in our Medal of Honor: Warfighter feature as we get our first look at EA’s second offensive front against rival Activision’s Call of Duty franchise. Warfighter’s focus on Tier One operatives and cinematic action sequences indicate it’s got its sights squarely set on the rumored but as-yet-unconfirmed Black Ops 2. We can’t wait to see the pyrotechnics when these two powerhouses meet on the field of battle.

But the announcement that’s got PTOM worked up this month is Assassin’s Creed III. With a new hero, renewed focus, and enthralling Revolutionary War setting, Ubisoft’s killer new title rebuts the notion that annual installments have diluted this franchises’s impact. We’ve also got big previews hits on crime thrillers Max Payne 3 and the resurrected Sleeping Dogs (previously known as True Crime: Hong Kong).

There’s no shortage of big reviews this month, either, with Mass Effect 3, Street Fighter X Tekken, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, and Silent Hill: Downpour leading the way. PS Vita games also continue to leave their mark with third-person shooter Unit 13, the venerable Plants vs. Zombies, and the quirky Escape Plan. Factor in a slew of hot PSN titles and we’ve definitely got more games than time this issue.

PTOM’s May issue arrives at newsstands today, Tuesday, April 10th. Grab it before it’s gone!

Add Your Own

Destiny89 said:

April 10th, 6:05 am

Sly4 is my most wanted game this year! cannot wait!

kivi95 said:

April 10th, 6:50 am

Does Sly 4 have any release date yet?

Roger Burchill's Avatar

Scott Butterworth said:

April 10th, 11:32 am

“Fall 2012,” which likely means September or October. We’ll let you know when we get something more concrete.

remanutd5 said:

April 10th, 6:56 am

i’d consider renewing my subscription if you guys release a playstation vita app, and finally you have coverage of a good game, i want more info on first party games

Roger Burchill's Avatar

Scott Butterworth said:

April 10th, 11:31 am

First party games…you mean like Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time? Well you’re in luck!

Also, we don’t have any Vita app plans to announce at the moment, but we’re definitely considering a variety of digital content options. Stay tuned.

BRIT-KO said:

April 10th, 7:00 am

@ kivi85 – 1st October 2012.

Can’t wait for the 4th installment, I know it’s gonna be good!

Roger Burchill's Avatar

Scott Butterworth said:

April 10th, 11:34 am

It could be October 1, but that date’s not official. The actual date probably won’t be announced (or even decided on) until a bit closer to launch.

jazzyrider said:

April 10th, 7:05 am

Very cool!! BTW, is there a PlayStation mag app for the PS Vita, or dare I say the iPad?!? I’m sure audience capture would increase.

Roger Burchill's Avatar

Scott Butterworth said:

April 10th, 11:35 am

Not yet, but like I said above, we’re working to make things happen. All in due time!

DION3TO said:

April 10th, 7:07 am

Awesome! I think this game is gonna eb awesome. I just cant wait to play it. I love the series :D

Wayndawind said:

April 10th, 7:15 am

love the game i grabbed the bundle for the first three remastered games from PSN. I like the 3d, it just makes me think how we advanced everytime i play them. i cant wait.

SlyCooperFan100 said:

April 10th, 7:15 am

@BRIT-KO, @kivi95 : There is no set release date for Thieves in Time. Sanzaru has confirmed “Fall 2012,” but nothing past that.

Sly 4 may be the only reason I’d pick up a copy of PTOM. Maybe ACIII too. xD

Roger Burchill's Avatar

Scott Butterworth said:

April 10th, 11:40 am

Sly 4 would be the only reason?? What about our winning personalities and witty straplines?!

MJoniaux said:

April 10th, 7:21 am

with the track records there have been when another developer takes over, I’m on the fence with this one.

Roger Burchill's Avatar

Scott Butterworth said:

April 10th, 11:41 am

Definitely an interesting point. We actually included an extensive sidebar about this very subject in the Sly 4 cover feature. Check it out!

TooTall19 said:

April 10th, 7:35 am

I’ll pick this issue up. I haven’t read PTOM in a while.

Roger Burchill's Avatar

Scott Butterworth said:

April 10th, 11:44 am

Why not subscribe?? For the low low one-time annual price of just $24.95 for 12 issues, you can’t lose! Order today!!

Butters360 said:

April 10th, 8:11 am

Must purchase issue for me! LOVE Sly Cooper and his band of thieves.

U_P_S said:

April 10th, 8:31 am

PS Vita YouTube App or Flash HTML Video Support?

monkeys_10 said:

April 10th, 9:21 am

I LOVE SLY COOPER TO ME IT”S THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!!

rjejr said:

April 10th, 9:52 am

I want this game enough that it’s the first time I’m wondering if the PS4 will be BC or will I have to buy this again in a “new and improved” version in 2 years? I own the Sly Trilogy twice but I could have lived w/ once. It’s the “Pandora’s box” game of new system launches.

zakdude100 said:

April 10th, 2:34 pm

do you know if we’ll get anymore sly info before E3?

Roger Burchill's Avatar

Scott Butterworth said:

April 10th, 2:57 pm

Before E3? Mm, maybe. At E3? I’d count on it.

cooper77ify said:

April 10th, 4:22 pm

pues yo quiero que salga ya joder !!!!!!! me encanta murray :p xDDDD

crazyfooINC said:

April 10th, 10:11 pm

I have to say, I absolutely adore the art on the magazine cover. For once, Sly’s boots actually resemble boots, the small pack carried around the leg is more of an appropriate color, and the transition to HD looks great! Sanzaru certainly knows what they’re doing, and I can’t wait to place my preorder soon. ^_^

Dusk-Bringer said:

April 11th, 10:33 am

I’ve heard that Sly 4 may be coming out this summer. Sometime around June 1st, I think. What I want to know is why we haven’t been given a definite release date yet.

Dusk-Bringer said:

April 11th, 10:37 am

I mean, Sly’s been one of my favorites from the start, but after seven years… I just hope the game offers good closure and a solid ending. I’d hate to see it be one of those games where it blows your mind up until the last ten minutes where the ending leaves plot holes or is just underwhelming.

cdogbeast543 said:

April 11th, 6:34 pm

In a interview they said something about being co-op in the game does mean online too? Is there any modes too?

PrivateEyeball said:

April 12th, 3:22 pm

The sidebars in the Sly Cooper feature are brilliant. Everyone should read them.

Signed,
Shameless self-promotion

vexed_shadow said:

April 13th, 7:38 am

I love Sly and this new installment has my nerves going on overdrive! I can’t wait for this release!! Any idea if it will lead off of Sly3? With Cooper maybe regaining his memory? Or a completely different approach to the Sly Series? I’m up for either one!

DesertGhostz said:

April 15th, 7:17 am

The magazines says “FUTURE GAMES what to expect from PS4”
MUST READ THAT

dlbpc said:

April 18th, 11:20 am

Well the game looks promising, but some of the characters look bad. The cartoony style seems to be scaled back, especially on Sly. Muted colors, bad textures, ugly details.

VinsanityV21 said:

April 26th, 6:19 pm

Haven’t picked up a Playstation Magazine in quite some time, but I will totally be nabbing this. I seem to only pick up magazines when they get exclusives on games I want nowadays, like picking up last months’ Nintendo Power because of the exclusive on Epic Mickey: Power of Two and Power of Illusion. Future Publishing, you guys are KILLING IT lately :D

sandrewb said:

May 4th, 9:31 am

Is there a digital version available on the iPad?