Horizon Zero Dawn

Apr 11

Apr 11

The Legend of Dragoon Coming to PSN: RPG Classic Reborn May 1st

Shuhei Yoshida's Avatar Posted by President, SCE Worldwide Studios

The Legend of Dragoon for PS3 and PSPps3_xmb

The Legend of Dragoon was one of the last projects I worked on as a producer in Japan Studio and by far the biggest team I managed hands-on. We started the project in 1996 with only a handful of people, hired one by one as we were building up teams for Ape Escape, The Legend of Dragoon, and Ico simultaneously. During the peak of the game’s development, we had well over 100 people working internally in the studio on The Legend of Dragoon — for a PSone game! We had roughly 10 artists dedicated just to drawing concept art for this gigantic RPG. As the game contained lots of pre-rendered maps and full-motion videos, we were forced to spread the content over four CDs, which was the maximum number of discs that the fattest PSone game case could hold.

It took nearly three years to build the team and develop the game, which was released in December 1999 in Japan and June 2000 in the US. As I moved from Japan to the US in March 2000, I was able to personally handle the game’s release in both Japan and the US. Following the game’s launch in Japan, we learned from players that certain parts of the game were too difficult. The team re-balanced the gameplay for the release outside of Japan, so the US version was the complete version of the game that we were all proud of.

I still occasionally hear from fans of The Legend of Dragoon, and many want to know if there is a sequel. LOD2 was put into preproduction after I left the Japan Studio, but was eventually cancelled for some unknown reason, and the team members moved on to different projects. Some people still work in the Japan Studio, so we talk about the memories of developing LOD when we see each other at company functions.

It’s great to see the game being prepared for release as a PSone Classic on PSN, which means that fans can revisit the world whenever they want. Maybe it’ll make a new fans, too. Long live LOD!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 6

Band2eto said:

April 11th, 9:51 am

Also, PLEASSSSE FOR HEAVEN SAKES, make a sequel to Legend of Dragoon (I’ll even take a prequel, if need be)! Thrown in a special/collector/limited edition, and you DEFINITELY got my money!

ChameleonX said:

April 11th, 9:52 am

That’s awesome news! I always wondered why a sequel never came out. Hopefully interest in the re-release will convince Sony otherwise.

Superstrokey1123 said:

April 11th, 9:52 am

For some reason i suspect this post will only make people think the LOD2 is actually coming…

Tre_Omega said:

April 11th, 9:59 am

FINALLY MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED I CAN’T WAIT THE GREATEST GAME IN THE WORLD IS FINALLY ON PSN!!!!

FonFahbre said:

April 11th, 10:01 am

About time!. I’ve been waiting so long for this to come out on PSN.

I’m just sadden that LOD2 was cancelled though.

Tre_Omega said:

April 11th, 10:01 am

Oh YEA HOW RUDE OF ME THANK YOU SONY!!!!!

xxnike629xx said:

April 11th, 10:03 am

About time SCEA! >_<

The PAL and Japanese region had this game for a while now. Why is it that the US gets these epic games so late??

Any word on Square-Enix remastering Final Fantasy III, V, and VI for the PSP? It would be a great way for Sony and Square-Enix to end the PSP's life cycle and move to PS Vita exclusively, and also, that way we would have all the classic FF games on the PSP. And I hope if this happens, we get UMD and digital release.

Graztraz said:

April 11th, 10:03 am

THANK YOU FOR THIS.I still own the original game will definitely be buying this game day 1 Oh memories

EMtechfan said:

April 11th, 10:05 am

Thank you, Sony!! Now, we just need a price estimate on this.

Probably will be $9.99, although $5.99 would be sweet.

bakerarmy said:

April 11th, 10:05 am

So I can only guess, but this will be a 9.99 dollar game. I will pass until a sale.

Sneeches said:

April 11th, 10:06 am

OMFG!!!! Today is my bday and this is the best news i’ve heard all day!!! Just made my day!!!!

MarinoBrea said:

April 11th, 10:07 am

Why isn’t Sony investing in games for the Japanese market anymore? All the big studios are in the west, and games that appeal to Japanese gamers (mainly RPGs) have been neglected for too long.

MarinoBrea said:

April 11th, 10:08 am

Everything I post is subjected to moderation, wtf?

Vinland_Krauser said:

April 11th, 10:10 am

It’s been so long (and the expectations were so high) that it works like a beam cannon.
Charging since Dec 22, 2010.
The blast will be heard all over the internets. You’ll see.
I can already hear the roars, screams and squeals.

Benmo316 said:

April 11th, 10:10 am

This is awesome news! I never played it back in the day and now I don’t have an excuse not to!

blakseed said:

April 11th, 10:10 am

Thank goodness. That’s one major blog complaint down.

TallCrowe said:

April 11th, 10:13 am

Yes this is most awesome. I loved this game. Though I didn’t finish it. I would like to try again.

ikillerdragoni said:

April 11th, 10:13 am

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! this is the 1 game i have been waiting for since the ps1 classics started being released…cant say thank you enough….seriously…i cant…

saintaqua said:

April 11th, 10:19 am

Please give us a sequel! Good JRPGs are so rare these days! You’d be doing the world a service.
I’ll buy this as soon as the Vita gets PSone support.
I finally stopped splurging on these classics until support is added.

xaos said:

April 11th, 10:22 am

Holy awesome, I have very fond memories of this game (and the disc version is still on my shelf), but this remains a guaranteed purchase for me.

Now, since we gamers are a needy and demanding lot, I have to mention how great this or Vagrant Story would look on the Vita’s OLED screen :)

XFRod said:

April 11th, 10:22 am

My second favorite RPG of all time.. Right behind Persona 3 FES, which just got a digital release. It’s a good time to be a PlayStation fan.

Cronosaraya said:

April 11th, 10:22 am

I still have my original copy (Greatest Hits version) that I bought around ’02 or ’03 I think, but never finished it.

ScottFromNY said:

April 11th, 10:23 am

I always wanted a sequel to this game. Or at least a spiritual successor. I have fond memories of playing it at my dad’s place when I was in grade school.

evil_baz said:

April 11th, 10:23 am

At last!!!! I was wondering last week when this great game will be available, and now here it is… now I start thinking in Suikoden 2, 3, 4 and 5 :p

oycomics said:

April 11th, 10:28 am

May 1st will be a very happy day. :D

I played this once many years ago on a friend’s PS1 and have been wanting to play it again ever since. Now I can finally do it without resorting to a used copy.

shogun00 said:

April 11th, 10:33 am

Awesome! This is the game that actually got me into RPGs and it’s still the RPG that I truly treasure.

I still have the game discs, but I may buy the digital version on PSN just to show support.

Falaut said:

April 11th, 10:37 am

Excellent, as many people have been asking for this! Good move!

Now, I will once again ask for even a hint of when PSOne classics are coming to my PSV?

inFAMOUS-787 said:

April 11th, 10:37 am

Yoshida you are GOD!!!!!! Thank you!!!!! now please let it be playable on my VITA and my spring is set!!!!!

pariah164 said:

April 11th, 10:38 am

At the risk of sounding like Daniel Bryan…

YES! YES! YES! YES!

Finally my prayers have been answered! Thank you! Finally, a new reason to play my PSP!

XXOXX said:

April 11th, 10:38 am

great… but when can i play it on my vita?

gimmedat said:

April 11th, 10:38 am

Can Not Wait!

inFAMOUS-787 said:

April 11th, 10:39 am

and no sequel, JRPG’s are not what they once where so making a sequel to LOD would not do any justice

iTofuMan said:

April 11th, 10:44 am

All i can say is finally. this game should have been released a lot sooner, but its finally here and thats all that matter. now for us Vita users we just need to wait for ps1 support.

LandmineSalesman said:

April 11th, 10:45 am

what happened to the Ape Escape team??? Does anyone know? I loved the original on PSX, it is one of the greatest IP’s created by Sony, what happened to it???

Kholdy said:

April 11th, 10:50 am

OMG, I’ve waited so long for this!
Thank you for bringing this great news personally, Mr. Yoshida.

Raven4Lyfe said:

April 11th, 10:54 am

If the game wasn’t already sitting on my shelf next to the PS3 and PS2 games I play regularly I would buy this in a heartbeat.

Robbie_G_lrish said:

April 11th, 11:09 am

This is one of my favourite RPGs of all time. I still have the discs… but I may buy it down the road. Too bad about the sequel. If a new one ever does get developed it would probably work best on Vita.

TomHoang said:

April 11th, 11:17 am

Finally!!

ssmarcos3 said:

April 11th, 11:20 am

Yes i have been waiting to play thing for a very long time i am very excited right now.

onslaughtree said:

April 11th, 11:30 am

Good news/ Bad news . Good news) I still own My pspGo, so I will be playing this. Bad news) I still have not purchased my Vita because of this. Sad but true.

Dinsouza said:

April 11th, 11:32 am

This is great news! Now, to get all of us JRPG fans happier, you guys need to bring Wild Arms and Dark Cloud series to the PS2 Classics section! Not to mention, of course, make them all compatible with our Vitas (soon). :)

Ladykiller64 said:

April 11th, 11:32 am

Still have my hard copy, but I’m so glad to hear this. More people should play this game. I may even double dip.

AwRy108 said:

April 11th, 11:32 am

Would buy this if I could play it on my Vita. C’mon Sony, get on this ASAP!

djnealb said:

April 11th, 11:36 am

FINALLY!!! This is still one of my most favorite games of all time. And it’s coming out the day before my birthday, so this is perfect. I’m still holding out hope for a sequel someday, by the way.

RyanJPorava said:

April 11th, 11:46 am

OMG. I do not know why this was not added a long time ago. Thank you so much for -finally- getting around to it!!!

WakizashiM said:

April 11th, 11:47 am

You guys want a sequel to happen? Then BUY THIS GAME!! I know I will!

Siriov said:

April 11th, 11:48 am

Just as excited as everyone else I can’t believe it! Personal #1 game of all time so I love that this is getting recognized and put back out there so others can try it finally. Now do I scrounge for my memory card and old PS2 or just buy and replay for ease…

mafia28 said:

April 11th, 11:49 am

Please make a sequel!!!

X3PHA3US said:

April 11th, 11:51 am

Hello, summer! I just hope that the vita can play PSone classics soon! This is awesome news excited to play this game again! THANK YOU Mr. President Shu Yoshida!

amjr72 said:

April 11th, 11:57 am

Why dropping the bomb that the sequel was cancelled????? T_T I was a happy ignorant before.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 6