Overwatch

Apr 11

Apr 11

The Legend of Dragoon Coming to PSN: RPG Classic Reborn May 1st

Shuhei Yoshida's Avatar Posted by President, SCE Worldwide Studios

The Legend of Dragoon for PS3 and PSPps3_xmb

The Legend of Dragoon was one of the last projects I worked on as a producer in Japan Studio and by far the biggest team I managed hands-on. We started the project in 1996 with only a handful of people, hired one by one as we were building up teams for Ape Escape, The Legend of Dragoon, and Ico simultaneously. During the peak of the game’s development, we had well over 100 people working internally in the studio on The Legend of Dragoon — for a PSone game! We had roughly 10 artists dedicated just to drawing concept art for this gigantic RPG. As the game contained lots of pre-rendered maps and full-motion videos, we were forced to spread the content over four CDs, which was the maximum number of discs that the fattest PSone game case could hold.

It took nearly three years to build the team and develop the game, which was released in December 1999 in Japan and June 2000 in the US. As I moved from Japan to the US in March 2000, I was able to personally handle the game’s release in both Japan and the US. Following the game’s launch in Japan, we learned from players that certain parts of the game were too difficult. The team re-balanced the gameplay for the release outside of Japan, so the US version was the complete version of the game that we were all proud of.

I still occasionally hear from fans of The Legend of Dragoon, and many want to know if there is a sequel. LOD2 was put into preproduction after I left the Japan Studio, but was eventually cancelled for some unknown reason, and the team members moved on to different projects. Some people still work in the Japan Studio, so we talk about the memories of developing LOD when we see each other at company functions.

It’s great to see the game being prepared for release as a PSone Classic on PSN, which means that fans can revisit the world whenever they want. Maybe it’ll make a new fans, too. Long live LOD!

Add Your Own

FNF420 said:

April 11th, 11:58 am

not going to buy any ps1 classic games i can play them on my vita. come sony hurry up with that.

Nates4Christ said:

April 11th, 12:01 pm

What an honor to have Shu Yoshida make an article. :D

MPaullin said:

April 11th, 12:04 pm

Good news for those who were waiting (though I’m not sure why it has such a ravenous fan base given the mediocre reviews). I’m still waiting on Fear Effect though. I think we can all agree that the slow trickle of PS1 (and PS2) classics is annoying.

Kchow23 said:

April 11th, 12:11 pm

Legend of Dragoon 2 for the PS Vita and PS3!

Ethereal said:

April 11th, 12:14 pm

Awesome news! Loved this game and still have it in my collection.

OCxViRuXz said:

April 11th, 12:16 pm

FINALLY we get what we want lol… Just a few more games need to come out and ill be ever more happier… Still like to see Sega come out with another classic like ‘o I don’t know say… “Skies Of Arcadia” perhaps :)

papolatte said:

April 11th, 12:17 pm

Buying this next week! I’ve been going through my old ps1 games a lot lately, and am glad to see them getting some love here.

I can’t wait til the Vita supports this, and I can take it with me on the go! Great job and thanks for the games!

SpiritThief said:

April 11th, 12:24 pm

I’m in for 5.99.

Took you long enough Sony.

excaliber45 said:

April 11th, 12:24 pm

FINALLY!! I actually don’t care for this game (I’m sure it’s good but it never interested me) but at least it’ll stop the constant begging for it on the Store Update posts. While we are feeling generous, Sony, how about another legend from back in the day: Legend of Legaia? ;)

GAM3R_16 said:

April 11th, 12:32 pm

Best Game Ever IMO, I still own a copy but I’ll gladly be willing to pay for it again on PSN :D please re-continue the sequel!

kensama said:

April 11th, 12:40 pm

Yoshida san, Why talking about the cancelled sequel if nothing will be real in a near future?

Why Sony don’t want listen fan when most of them wants PS1 IP back like:

Motor Toon
Wild arms
Alundra
Omega Boost
Philosoma
Gunners Heaven
Medievil

Don’t you think for Japan Studio that Ps Vita co be a perfect hardware to see sequel of most of them?

ZarianGrins said:

April 11th, 12:40 pm

I still have the original discs and original cover/manual this game is sweet i still play it :D

JG4Horrorshow said:

April 11th, 12:47 pm

I will definitely be buying this, I have always wanted to play this game after all the wondrous things I’ve heard about it. Also, I think it’s very nice that this news was delivered to us personally by you Mr. President. Articles like this one are a very enjoyable read, and I feel that more posts like this on the blog would encourage me to check this site more frequently.

Dragonzblaze said:

April 11th, 12:54 pm

omg finally one of the most epic ps one rpg games comes to psn its about time ty sony keep it up cant wait to play this epic game again XD

Tridrakious said:

April 11th, 12:56 pm

YES YES YES YES YES!!!! FINALLY!!!

I will buy this again day one. May 1st needs to hurry up and get here!

Now Yoshida-san…since you are the President of Worldwide Studios you could say “Let’s make The Legend of Dragoon 2″…right?

DarkOne_PR said:

April 11th, 12:58 pm

THANKS! this is much appreciated! Sony u know PS3 and generally this generation has lacked JRPGs …. Why not Work for Legend of dragoon 2 for ps3? or maybe exclusive for the Vita?!! that should bust sales up!

In another note: Did u saw what was #1 in ps1 classics? Yea FF7! again! why wont sony/SE just give us the Remake for ps3 that we ALL DESIRE!!!!!! U can put the remake at the cost of 100$ and ill buy it day one! JUST GIVE IT TO US!!!! Numbers dont lie!

TrueBlue02 said:

April 11th, 1:01 pm

i just rolled of my ceiling after hearing this

Beebo264 said:

April 11th, 1:13 pm

Sony — Time to live up to your promises. Time to start supporting PSOne games on the Vita so your most dedicated customers – the Vita owners – can benefit from this too.

MPaullin said:

April 11th, 1:37 pm

@113, the Final Fantasy titles had a really awesome sale last month, which is why they dominated the PS1 classic downloads. As someone who bought FFVII during said sale and is playing it for the first time.. why remake it? It holds up perfectly well and has a nice old school charm to it.

Eternal-CMO said:

April 11th, 1:38 pm

I have fond memories of this game growing up. It was and still is the only turn-based game to ever keep my attention all the way through.

Finally, one the few PS classics worthy of the name. My thanks to Japan Studio for creating this rare gem and to Sony for reviving it.

D-Squad3 said:

April 11th, 1:41 pm

DAY ONE!!! Now all we need is a Legend of Dragoon II

xTurmoilZz said:

April 11th, 1:46 pm

This is a great game. I wish I could play it on my Vita…

jimmyfoxhound said:

April 11th, 1:47 pm

Gonna have to try this. Wasn’t in to JRPGs when this came out on the PS1, I gotta check this out. Thanks!

ZeroSection said:

April 11th, 1:52 pm

I will be there day 1. My body is ready. Just put whatever number you want on this blank check.

Pockey321 said:

April 11th, 1:53 pm

Thank You!!!!!
OMG this is such good news! there are other classics i want like digimon world and bushido blade 1/2 but Legend of Dragoon is all that matters. You wont be seeing my name among the complaints anymore.

nandosupes said:

April 11th, 1:55 pm

Beautiful game,is about time, thank you guys!!.

ArchAngelMai said:

April 11th, 1:55 pm

Took forever, thought this might not come out. But to all of you that say it’s the best RPG ever, need to play some more RPG’s. It truly was just a mediocre game. If you really look at the game, excluding nostalgia you have to admit this. Or you can be a fanboy/girl and get upset…which you will all do. Just like FFVII, its hype far exceeds its actual presentation.

Christian399 said:

April 11th, 1:58 pm

Will buy! And the elephant in the room is… Where’s the sequel? Oh, and the compatibility to play PSX games on my Vita?

And really, Wild Arms. Stop sitting on your properties Sony. You’d be shocked how many Westerners are dying for a decent RPG. Pretty sure a year old port of the Wii (Graces F) sold over 200K in a few weeks. That should tell you something.

Alex-KAI said:

April 11th, 2:00 pm

Thank you Yoshidaさま!!

I want to buy this game because I think is one of the best RPG I’ve ever played. I bought it with my japanese account and I played it. I speak japanese so I don’t have any problem.

Anyway, I wanted to play it in english too, because I need to practice this language (I’m from Spain) and now it will be possible. But I tried it in my 40″ TV, and and the graphics are not so “soft” as I expected.

For this reason, I’m thinking of buying to play it on my PSVita, but the PSX emulator for Vita haven’t been released yet, so I think I’ll pass until SONY release it.

As I’ve said, this is an AAA game, a must have one, but I think that a lot of people are not going to buy it for the same reason I have just explained :(. It’s a pity :'( !!

Greetings from Spain !!!

またね・・・!!

ArchAngelMai said:

April 11th, 2:05 pm

@113
Ignorance of how much a game can cost these days is why. FFXIII clocked in at over 1.6 Billion to make, even at the estimated 10 million in sales at $60, that means they only made 600,000,000 in returns, that’s not even breaking even, or cutting it close to breaking even. As big as a game as FFVII is, and how much it has, and they would need to add, etc. Selling even 10 million of the game is unlikely, capping all sales of FFVII since launch at 7.4 million total. Even then. that would not help comfort the cost of the game. This is why it will not be remade.
Not an opinion, just a sad reality. Yes games can cost far less, the average for a AAA title ranges in the 500 milion to 800 million range. Mostly its those beautiful CG cut-scenes that kill them. Look at 13-2, it has like 3, compared to the 40 or so in 13.

Motherboop said:

April 11th, 2:05 pm

Whas this Legend of Dragon? Is it like Calla Dootie? — JP, this is great news, and is going to make a lot of people very happy. I for one will be putting it on my PSP Go and playing throughout the summer!

Tomm4118 said:

April 11th, 2:10 pm

the only thing that could possibly make this better is if they decided to make an HD remake of LOD.

Tomm4118 said:

April 11th, 2:12 pm

Please make some LOD PSN avatars, ohhh… and a kickass dynamique LOD wallpaper, yeah…….

Elvick_ said:

April 11th, 2:21 pm

I want that sequel… ):

Buying this, even though I have it on PSone. Great game.

hotmusted said:

April 11th, 2:55 pm

lol i still have the black label ps1 game i dont need t off psn but im glad other people get to experience this great rpg as it was really overlooked back in its day have fun guys i know i did

camwarren said:

April 11th, 2:55 pm

YESSS!!!! Been waiting on this for years. Now, could we also get Bushido Blade????

darkwonders said:

April 11th, 3:03 pm

Whenever I see this, I remember Legend of Legaia… I loved that game on the PS1… I really wish they would release that.

And now I just found out that Legaia 2 exists! Now I gotta play that.

NynjaDoom said:

April 11th, 3:17 pm

wonder if it’ll be the game thats free for + members

fantasyplayer said:

April 11th, 3:19 pm

SOLD||||||||||||||||||FOR WHATEVER IT COST.Sony you made me feel better about the whole sony world.For those who wondered about this one.Really good story line, excellent game play.Out of the many,many games that has come out, there’s only so many that you wonted to always replay and this is one of them.On brake at work,trips in the car(wife drives)or waiting a hour for the doctor (o man) to see my,this is one of the reasons I just love my psp.

rodeojones said:

April 11th, 3:23 pm

Now if only I could play it on my Vita ;p

Gokuhan_Z said:

April 11th, 3:26 pm

OMG YES! One of my favorite all time RPGs, and thanks to the Additions one of my favorite combat systems.

I wish that there could by a sequel (not a direct one, but with the same soul of the first). I’ll be getting this right away. I already own it, but now I can take it on the go with my PSP! (not the Vita, booo :P )

I wonder if HDTV delay will cause timing problems with additions.

squirtle-squad said:

April 11th, 3:29 pm

This will be the first PSOne Classic I’ll be buying.

BigDaddyEarl71 said:

April 11th, 3:52 pm

Awesome! Great! Can’t Wait! I’ll be definately getting it!

Now we need the other Legend game. Please bring Legend of Legaia to the PSN!

XreptarX said:

April 11th, 3:53 pm

I never got a chance to play this game, but since i’ve heard so many good things, I’ll be sure to pick it up. I just hope it lives up to the hype.

DaWolf619 said:

April 11th, 4:07 pm

Hopefully there will be an update to play this on my Vita, before it gets released. Or else my PSP will now be my PS1 gaming device.

RidleysBox said:

April 11th, 4:16 pm

Oh look, the game i bought off the JP PSN store LAST YEAR, is finally getting a US release.

YouFromTheFuture said:

April 11th, 5:03 pm

I fricken LOVE this game. Hopefully everyone will download this… especially so Sony can see that there’s a huge interest. Wouldn’t it be sweet if they not only make a part 2, but also include a remade or remastered version of the original (like wkc2).

(off topic) IT WOULD BE TOTALLY AWESOME IF THE PLAYSTATION BLOG WAS INTEGRATED INTO THE XMB…

allwasgood said:

April 11th, 5:18 pm

Hell yes. Getting it as soon as Vita gets PS1 support.

Omii132 said:

April 11th, 5:27 pm

ooooh niceee thank you!! this was my first RPG!!! i love it so much! i have my copy, but i´m getting this one too.

Oh my god a sequel, make it real!!!

:D

bmart008 said:

April 11th, 5:40 pm

Just make PSONE classics playable on the Vita please… The re-release of Legend of Dragoon is a perfect time to put the PSone emulator on the Vita.

DO IT.