PlayStation VR

Apr 18

Apr 18

Learn the Secrets of PSN’s Dyad

Shawn McGrath's Avatar Posted by Creator, Dyad

Last week in New York City I was fortunate enough to show off Dyad, the almost-ready-done-really-soon-I-promise game coming to PSN for PS3. During our NYC showcase, the PlayStation.Blog crew was kind enough to stop by and conduct a quick Q&A and gameplay session, and you can watch the results in this new original video.

Each of the game’s 27 different levels touch upon a variety of mechanics and goals: forming long combos, racing, surviving as long as possible, hitting certain top speeds and more. And the game’s 26 special Trophy levels have challenging alternate goals, whether it’s playing just by using sound or collecting objects as quickly as possible. Since each level has a corresponding leaderboard to track online rankings, Dyad boasts a huge number of leaderboards — 52 in all, each requiring a unique set of skills to master.

I also wanted to mention that David Kanaga did the game’s interactive music. Here’s his Dyad EP, and you can hear more of his interactive music here.

I’ll be hanging around here all day, so after you watch the video, feel free to ask any questions in the comments and I’ll answer what I can!

Add Your Own

MartiniGroove said:

April 18th, 7:55 am

Looks awesome and something everyone can play (even the kids). I love finding ways to get the kids doing more music-related type games.

What were your influences? I see some shades of Rez in there.

Shawn McGrath's Avatar

Shawn McGrath said:

April 18th, 8:05 am

Thanks! Rez was definitely huge, I’ve said before that without Rez I never would have been able to even conceive the idea for Dyad. I’d say that my influences are split pretty evenly between games, music, books and movies. On the game side: Internal Section, N2O, Torus Trooper, Tetris Attack, Everyday Shooter, David Kanaga’s other game: Proteus, (and countless others) have all been really inspiring.

butcherknife said:

April 18th, 7:59 am

Any plans to bring this to the Vita?

Shawn McGrath's Avatar

Shawn McGrath said:

April 18th, 8:07 am

Not as of right now. I’m so focused on finishing it that I’m not even thinking about anything else. I’ve been playing a lot of Vita lately and I love it, so it’s definitely something I’ll consider after it’s released.

Xer0Signal said:

April 18th, 8:00 am

So pumped for this game. Sid’s face at 1:09 was pretty great.

atone1382 said:

April 18th, 8:14 am

Lookin pretty sharp. Man I’m loving the growth of the digital domain. So many interesting titles popping up. I’m looking forward to learning more about this. Any plans perhaps for 3D in it? looks like it could be quite the visual experience.

Shawn McGrath's Avatar

Shawn McGrath said:

April 18th, 8:32 am

No 3D unfortunately. I thought it’d be a good idea too, but I tried it and the way the sides of the tube work completely break the 3D effect and give instant headaches =( It seems like Dyad would be suited for it, but actually it’s probably the least-suitable game for 3D. Have you tried MLB: The Show in 3D? I loved the 3D usage there.

Tremulan777 said:

April 18th, 8:18 am

Since there are 27 levels do you know if the they are short? And any discount for plus members? Thanks… So far I like how this game looks

Shawn McGrath's Avatar

Shawn McGrath said:

April 18th, 8:33 am

Some are very short, ~2 minutes, some are long, ~20 minutes.

There will be something for PlayStation Plus members, I just don’t know what yet =)

Samarotu said:

April 18th, 8:20 am

These r the Games we need, nonmainstream, completely different & getting us out of conventional thinking.
I so do not know who this game will work, it looks like it has a crazycomplex Gameplay, but i´m already hooked.
Just like REZ, Child of Eden & every other Music Game i´v played, Dyad & SoundShapes are def. on my buying List.

I hope you r fullfilling my Expectations…If not the God of Music Games will bite your ***… ;)

EGMshane said:

April 18th, 8:25 am

I absolutely love this game… it is truly something special.

MI_Titan27 said:

April 18th, 8:33 am

Looks AWESOME!!, can’t wait to play this game. As far as release date how soon is soon?

Shawn McGrath's Avatar

Shawn McGrath said:

April 18th, 8:35 am

I’m still working on it so I don’t know a date yet. But it’ll be out this summer.

saab01 said:

April 18th, 8:33 am

Hopefully we will see a demo for this game on PSN.

Tremulan777 said:

April 18th, 8:41 am

Thanks for the info. I’ll be getting the game for sure

atone1382 said:

April 18th, 8:45 am

Well alright thanks for the info Mr McGrath. I enjoy the 3D, but some games, like the AC Revelations it didn’t work too well and I enjoyed it more without the glasses. Dyad looks like it’s gonna light up my HD tv gloriously. I’m eager to give it a play.

station3fever said:

April 18th, 8:49 am

This is what i’m talking about, a dev who is not scared to toss something different into the mix. Conrats on the game & i’m looking foward to this game. Will it have 2 player split screen or just single player? (it’s all cool)

Shawn McGrath's Avatar

Shawn McGrath said:

April 18th, 8:53 am

It’s a single player game. The online ranking shows friend lists and is geared to be as competitive as possible which is where the multiplayer will be, but the experience itself is very much a solitary one.

Odrec said:

April 18th, 8:57 am

DAT beard.

PublicSudoku said:

April 18th, 9:56 am

Did that guy die of a seizure?

Shawn McGrath's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

April 18th, 10:04 am

I’m alive and well!

Robbie_G_lrish said:

April 18th, 10:27 am

Man, PSN has just been killing it lately! Every time I put funds in my wallet I’m like, “This should last me a while”. Nope! I’m going to have to pick up a $50 card for this and everything else that’s coming out.

DarktaxFA said:

April 18th, 10:48 am

looks really hard to see whats happening kinda D;

TMAZT3R said:

April 18th, 11:22 am

I would be happy to support your game. Also a vita version would be sweet.

Logan22 said:

April 18th, 11:49 am

I recommend Child of Eden if you really want a mind-blowing 3D synthesis experience. I’m glad Shawn test drove 3D first before making a decision.

starscreamerx31 said:

April 18th, 1:03 pm

i have a huge backlog of games i gotta play but because this is a psn exclusive and because its so different this is def a first day buy

butcherknife said:

April 18th, 1:29 pm

It looks like this would be would be great on Vita. Based on what I have seen of Dyad, I will likely buy it and play it on the PS3, but I get the feeling that I would prefer to play it on the Vita with my headphones.

Kind of on a side note…I have notice that the Vita, to me, has become less a “portable” console and more of a “personal” console. It is nice to sit in my house with headphones on and just play a game for a bit…in my own little world.

Mattsta001 said:

April 18th, 5:05 pm

Looks great, really trippy. These imaginative indies are the sort of games Sony should be getting more of on PSN.

Heavenly_king said:

April 18th, 6:24 pm

THE RESISTANCE LINK IN THE FRONT PAGE IS BROKEN!!!!!

AgentX said:

April 18th, 7:28 pm

The game looks great! I look forward to playing it!

C_Y_P_H_E_R said:

April 18th, 8:56 pm

Finally, more music games. Sony might as well release a music production software for ps3. I don’t see why not. There would be people who would use it if it was good.

Oisterboy said:

April 19th, 3:30 am

Cool :3 I’ll definitely pick this one up when it releases. A vita port would be cool too, but I see how this would be better on a bigger screen.

PainOfSarrow said:

April 19th, 8:41 am

looks super Boringgg, idk if this is appropriate in The Hood. maybe if im High ? ahaa

LANfreak1947 said:

April 19th, 3:23 pm

Do you guys know anything about that upcoming game Soul Sacrifice?

madhukrishna9999 said:

April 20th, 12:58 am

good

madhukrishna9999 said:

April 20th, 1:09 am

wow!!!!!!! really good

madhukrishna9999 said:

April 20th, 2:22 am

awesome!!!!

Dj-888_8 said:

April 20th, 9:00 am

ñ posso esperar por isso

Mega-Sackman said:

April 30th, 5:02 pm

Haha call me an old man, but this is like Gyruss!!… an insane evolution of it.