God of War

Apr 27

Apr 27

PlayStation Move Mystery Game Datura Hits PSN May 8th

Michal Staniszewski's Avatar Posted by Creative Director, Plastic

Hello, I’m Michal from Team Plastic and we are really happy to bring you Datura, which we can confirm today is coming to PSN on May 8th. Datura is a spicy mixture between an old-school adventure and a modern interactive experience. The game has a couple of interpretation levels, so it’s up to you to experience it on your own and share your thoughts afterward with others.

From a technical standpoint, Datura brings you a novel gaming mechanics based on the PlayStation Move motion controller. We created a virtual hand that you can operate and touch nearly everything in the game. If you don’t have a motion controller, you can still play with a DualShock 3 controller. For an even greater experience, Datura also fully supports stereoscopic 3D.

The game was designed to have a film like narrative and we encourage you to play through it in one session to really experience as one. We are excited about releasing it and will be happy to read your reactions afterwards.

Add Your Own

YungShep said:

April 27th, 9:36 am

FIRST!

jgrizzle358 said:

April 27th, 9:37 am

this looks amazing, and I’m very excited for it. I’m trying to budget for next month so any news on a price? I’m assuming $15?

YungShep said:

April 27th, 9:38 am

now to my comment, lol OHHHHHHH MAN! I PLAYED THIS AT SXSW RECENTLY IN AUSTIN. ALL I CAN SAY TO ALL….GET THIS GAME! IM SHOCKED ITS COMING SOONER THEN LATER.

I PLAYED 2 SECTIONS OF THE DEMO, ONE WHERE I HAD TO FIND A KEY TO OPEN UP A MYSTERIOUS DOOR IN THE MIDDLE OF A FOREST, AND ANOTHER AREA WHERE I WAS HANDCUFFED WITH SOMEONE AND WE WAS RIDING IN THE BACK OF A VAN…

THERE WAS SO MUCH INTRIGUE..IT FELT LIKE HEAVY RAIN WITH A CROSS OF MYST ON PC

DIDNT PLAY IT IN 3D, BUT WILL WHEN I DOWNLOAD IT MYSELF!

STOKED!

kingfoot said:

April 27th, 9:42 am

Looks like a really fun mixture of Heavy Rain, and Penumbra/Myst.

Looks like a buy for me! Any PS+ bonus/discount?

Wozman23 said:

April 27th, 9:42 am

I’m intrigued. And at $7.99 for Plus users how could I pass.

GamerMoney said:

April 27th, 9:45 am

3 games I want for move all in a month, sweet

Elvick_ said:

April 27th, 9:45 am

Looks awesome, looking forward to this.

squiggyrocks said:

April 27th, 9:52 am

Sony, you have got yourself a buyer from a trailer. Looks amazing and it’s the genre that I’m a die-hard fan of. Keep it up!

SarshelYam said:

April 27th, 9:54 am

Michal, I played this at GDC with the 3D Personal Viewer Headset and it was one of the most profound experiences I’ve had.

I’m happy to say that even without that second level of immersion, this game has me blown away. I loved every moment of exploration within Linger in Shadows, what a beautiful piece that remains…and Datura is definitely in the same scope of exploration, risk and reward…beautifully rendered and mysterious.

You have my money…now I just need to figure out how I can get myself a 3D Personal Viewer Headset and mounting kit for the 2nd Move Remote.

Thanks for sharing!

squiggyrocks said:

April 27th, 10:01 am

Does anyone know if you have to use the Move or can I use my normal DS3?

Michal Staniszewski's Avatar

Michal Staniszewski said:

April 27th, 3:32 pm

Don’t worry about not having Move controller. You can play it with DS3. Who knows maybe you will like to pass it one more time with Move in the future since the game was designed specially for this controller.

luvtoseek said:

April 27th, 10:04 am

Thanks for the impressions, #3- but the insane capslock is not needed. This is a solid piece of interactive gameplay… can’t wait!

jrinck said:

April 27th, 10:04 am

I love these kinds of games. Day one buy!

lisatsunami said:

April 27th, 10:08 am

I am getting this. I was really put off by the disembodied right hand when this game was first announced, & I still don’t understand that choice, since the character has a regular left hand and arm, but the preview on Pulse convinced me to buy

Thank you for doing something innovative, i.e., not another indie platformer. I’m not buying any more platformers, ever, as that was so last millennium.

luvtoseek said:

April 27th, 10:08 am

Michal, can your team make a dev. diary? This title is so different from what I’m used to- it’ll be nice to know what were the origins & the process on making Datura.

carlosdfn said:

April 27th, 10:11 am

I am so getting this. Need to know price.

Michal Staniszewski's Avatar

Michal Staniszewski said:

April 27th, 3:33 pm

It will be 10$, and 7.99$ for PS Plus subscribers!

LordRaoh said:

April 27th, 10:33 am

Can’t wait for this one. I’ve loved the work from plastic on Linger in Shadows, very excited for this.

Berae said:

April 27th, 10:42 am

Great! I was looking for a release date earlier this week, May 8th that sounds good!

RudestBuddhist said:

April 27th, 10:56 am

Wow, these Rayman games are looking better and better! ;)

mcbuttz78 said:

April 27th, 11:01 am

Bought day 1.. another psn classic. i really hopes sony add u guys as 1st party devs.. Love you guys hard work and great games.. 5 star rating….:)

Mcbuttz78
vp-psn legioniaree group

FORMIK said:

April 27th, 11:03 am

Comment #1, YungShep:
Read the section on the right: Remember: no swearing, fighting, or using the comments section of this blog to be “first!” Think about what you’re saying before you press “Submit.”

Team Plastic,
Thanks for making what looks to be a high-quality experience! This is an example of what I like about modern gaming. You recommend to play through in one session. Are there any reasons players might want to play through a second time, such as any additional replay, or is this purely for the interactive cinematic experience?

Michal Staniszewski's Avatar

Michal Staniszewski said:

April 27th, 3:29 pm

Hello,

To answer your question. Yes, you can play several times choosing different paths. That’s the key! What I wanted to say about “playing through one session” is to trying to not get interrupted by anything, so the experience is fluent. It’s like watching a movie. You don’t want to watch half of the movie in cinema and continue it at home.

guitarded77 said:

April 27th, 11:27 am

3D and Move… I’m in. This and Sorcery have me excited about the potential of Move again.

Type-F- said:

April 27th, 11:58 am

Do we need 2 move controller?

KidCommando said:

April 27th, 12:19 pm

@ #10 – squiggyrocks

it says in the post that you can use a DS3 OR a Move.

@#22 – Type-F

You only need one Move controller. …I am almost positive you DON’T use a navigation controller also. The Move button controls when you walk I believe.

poodude said:

April 27th, 12:20 pm

Loved Linger In Shadows, so this is a day one for me. Looks great!

EagerSnake said:

April 27th, 12:41 pm

@ #20 You have a point about modern gaming. I think you can experience a lot of things without killing people and seeing and feeling something like this.

Linger in Shadows was a great experience, and Datura is going to be even greater…

bh-alienux said:

April 27th, 12:57 pm

Finally! I’ve been looking forward to this since the very first footage was shown. Can’t wait for this one.

AizawaYuuichi said:

April 27th, 1:28 pm

I’ll definitely be getting this when it releases next month. $7.99 for PS+ is the perfect price. I’ve avoided looking into it too much after the first video preview that went up, simply because I want to be surprised. Linger in Shadows was amazing, and I expect Datura to be equally as excellent. :)

Heavenly_king said:

April 27th, 3:16 pm

can you add arms to those hands?? it looks bizarre without them.

Michal Staniszewski's Avatar

Michal Staniszewski said:

April 27th, 3:36 pm

Hi,

We were trying to add the whole arm for more than a year :)! Unfortunately Move has only six degrees of freedom, that’s why we had to guess where your elbow is why you are holding the controller. Because of that it felt unnatural, like the whole arm wasn’t yours. When we cut down the arm, the hand felt very natural. It’s hard to believe but the immersion has grown when we did remove it. But in the future – who knows :).

oo7PorscheMGS said:

April 27th, 3:50 pm

VERY interested!!!!!!! I agree with the guy who said it looks like a combo of Heavy Rain and that oldschool game MYST (I used to watch my bro play that game on the PC yearrrrrrrrrrs ago, it was a unique classic..) This game looks awesome/intriguing, and I had to log in to say THANK YOU to SONY for actually making UNIQUE use of the PS Move… THIS is the kind of game I like to see with that controller.

PS: Is Plastic a part of SONY Santa Monica / 1st party? Or is it like ThatGameCompany where they are independant and SONY is just the publisher? Just curious, but either way SONY has a lot of games coming out of Santa Monica right now and a lot of UNIQUE games they are taking chances on! Thank you!

FORMIK said:

April 27th, 4:36 pm

Michal,

Thanks for the response. I agree, this type of game should be played in one sitting. This is a fine example of many other games that fit into the same category, where you’re not in it to play a “round”, or a “match”, but to enjoy an entire experience.

Type-F- said:

April 27th, 5:59 pm

The game is only one hand or two hands? Do we need 2 move controller? I want my question answered please if you be so kind

Michal Staniszewski's Avatar

Michal Staniszewski said:

April 28th, 3:47 am

Hi,

It’s just one Move controller for controlling the hand. But if you got a second one you can use it for extra feature that is hidden.

Cheers!

VinsanityV21 said:

April 27th, 7:11 pm

I’m so happy SOMEONE is finally making this type of game for motion controls. They’re horrible for twitch action, even when they work – in Red Steel 2 and Zelda: Skyward Sword, combat is great but it’s tiring to aim a controller at the screen constantly. They’re much better suited for deliberately paced titles; adventures games. Titles like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Fragile Dreams and Zack & Wiki showed glimpses of this (and yes, I also have a Wii, and it’s my frame of reference for motion gaming). But no one has designed an adventure game, let alone a mature one (like an Amnesia), from scratch for Motion Controllers. Even though motion controls have been on the market for YEARS now.

So I’m pumped for this! It’s dark, mysterious and the Move usage means being able to really dig into a world and play around with everything in it. This, and Sorcery, are the games I’ve been waiting for to convince me to pick up a Move. And also because I wanted to pick one up before Epic Mickey 2 comes out later this year.

C_Y_P_H_E_R said:

April 28th, 12:58 am

I’ve got a good question for you. Any chance we’ll be able to customize the hands? I know you’re saying the arms don’t work out well (yet) but you could definitely add more depth by letting people choose their hands. Also I love the name of the game. Good choice.

Michal Staniszewski's Avatar

Michal Staniszewski said:

April 28th, 3:50 am

Hello,

Unfortunately customizing was something that we thought about very late, and in the end we didn’t implement it. I believe it would have a huge impact on immersion, but it was too late when we thought about it :(.

GameMSTR9000 said:

April 28th, 9:18 am

Michal,

What is the ESRB rating for Datura? Does it have one yet? Plus, instant download on launch! Great job!

Michal Staniszewski's Avatar

Michal Staniszewski said:

April 29th, 9:21 am

Hi,
    The ESRB is Teen, and yes we will have a Trophies support.

GameMSTR9000 said:

April 28th, 3:45 pm

One more thing: Will it have Trophy support? I would like to have some replay value in this game other than replaying the game for different outcomes.

BossmanCCrowder1 said:

April 29th, 11:15 am

Very excited for this and Dyad. I don’t buy many PSN games but I love playing unique games like this.

Logan22 said:

April 29th, 11:20 am

If you’re still around Michael, does this game require the Navigation controller to move the character, or is the whole experience steered for you while you just use the Move/Hand? I’m getting it either way just curious if we need that Navigation controller too.

Michal Staniszewski's Avatar

Michal Staniszewski said:

April 29th, 3:58 pm

Hello,
    You don’t need navigation controller to steer, In my opinion Move is just more convenient, So don’t worry, there are no rails :).

luvtoseek said:

April 29th, 8:43 pm

Hey Michal, thanks, I’ll check on that ASAP!!

cartblower said:

May 4th, 12:08 pm

I am glad Sony is supporting developers that steer off the beaten path. Gamers are getting bored with all the re-runs that are dominating the industry. Are you supporting the HMZT1 head tracking? If not I am going to be pissed, just got my HMZT1 delivered today and hoping this game takes full advantage of its capiblities.

MarkGold said:

May 7th, 7:53 pm

Can I play this game with the move controller in my left hand and have it look correct on screen?