God of War

Jun 22

Jun 22

PlayStation Blogcast 030: Designing Dead Space 3

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

Subscription Links:

• Download the MP3 here on PS3, PS Vita or PC (Right-Click->Save As)

“Visceral” is the key word for today’s PlayStation Blogcast, as we’re joined by Warren Price, level designer for EA Visceral Games. The amiable Mr. Price stopped by to chat about his upcoming game Dead Space 3, answering a host of our questions (and yours too!) about the February 2013 horror epic. On today’s show we discuss the challenges of creating a scary co-op game, protagonist Isaac Clark’s mental state, gameplay tweaks, the perils of fighting Unitologist soldiers, breaking into the videogame industry and much more. It’s a lengthy interview that no Dead Space fan should miss.

And as usual, we reveal next week’s PSN lineup for June 26th, 2012 (though not noted in the show, I can confirm that Jeremy McGrath’s Offroad will also join the PSN lineup on Tuesday). That’s in addition to a farm-fresh new PSN Gem of the Week, answers to a handful of new user questions, a new user tip, and a new Mystery Theme.

Stuff We Talked About

• Dead Space 3
  • Okami HD
  • The Pinball Arcade: Theatre of Magic table
  • Safety Not Guaranteed
  • Official PlayStation.Blogcast - Sid ShumanOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Nick Suttner

Official PlayStation.Blogcast: Rey GutierrezWarren-Price

The Cast

• Sid Shuman – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Rey Gutierrez – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Nick Suttner – PlayStation Sr. Product Evaluator
  • Warren Price – Dead Space 3 Level Designer
  • [Editor’s note: PSN game release dates are subject to change without notice. Game
    details are gathered from press releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating
    descriptions.]

Add Your Own

Christian399 said:

June 22nd, 12:34 pm

Gungir. Can we get it working on Vita soonish? Been sitting on my HDD for 2 weeks now. Thanks.

And heads up for UnchainedBlades ReXX (which you really should get a Blog post for – not like the PSP really gets much media attention these days). I guarantee that one won’t be Vita compabtible when it launches next week. Kinda silly that new releases aren’t compatible right out of the gate, as most of the NA PSP crowd probably do the .iso version. Its just hurting legit Vita consumers.

Warren, looking styling. I know people think EA are evil, but at least their portfolio is broader than ActiBlizz. From what I’ve seen though DS3 has turned into a Gears of War clone with Necromorphs. Any of the Blog crew with hands have feedback on that assessment?

tbm0987 said:

June 22nd, 12:36 pm

Hot shots golf world invitational update “PLEASE”

krae_man said:

June 22nd, 12:37 pm

Really disappointed the Pinball Hall of Fame DLC tables don’t have trophies. Terrible thing to omit.

KidCommando said:

June 22nd, 12:51 pm

Dead Space 3

On today’s show we discuss the challenges of changing a once scary single player game into a dude/bro, high five co-op action shooter game accessible and more recognizable to the masses.

Elvick_ said:

June 22nd, 12:55 pm

You need some more JRPG knowledge on the show. Record of Agarest War 2 has a Limited Edition, and it’s exclusive unlike the former releases in the series. And that would have been nice information for you to have mentioned, but you weren’t even sure it was retail. :/

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Nick Suttner said:

June 23rd, 10:35 am

Definitely not our strength, I agree. But if there’s a specific JRPG question you’d like an answer for, we can do our best to track it down!

rabidninjamonky said:

June 22nd, 12:56 pm

Terrible price on the uncharted games. should have been $15 for UC 1, $20 for uc2, and $30 for the bundle. Nobody is gonna spend $30 for uc1.

polo155 said:

June 22nd, 1:15 pm

anything about wake-up club for vita or the youtube app?

MakoSOLIDER said:

June 22nd, 1:28 pm

I meant to ask after reading on the EU blog. ACIII is up for preorder on the EU store apparently. Will it be up for preorder on the US store as well with similar discounts and ACIII Liberation as well?

Christian399 said:

June 22nd, 1:55 pm

I have to agree with some of the above sentiments. $30 is pretty absurd when you can get the games at retail for $20 or less. Might want to revisit that price. Its 1st party, so its not like they don’t have the wiggle room.

massimodo said:

June 22nd, 2:31 pm

What happened to the blogcast not being posted on Thursday. It was available on Thursday, I listened to it on itunes. Too much dead space talk for me. Just not all that interested in the game now that’s its become as people have pointed out, a dude/bro action game.

boxmyth said:

June 22nd, 2:46 pm

Sony needs to give Game Arts a call and get them to bring the Vita 2D platformer Dokuro to North America. It’s out in Japan on July 5th and looks amazingly cool: http://dokuro.gungho.jp/movie

Logical_Dolphin said:

June 22nd, 3:15 pm

Is the Resident Evil: Chronicals HD collection still due to be released on June 26th? I didn’t hear it mention in the blogcast…

ItaChu said:

June 22nd, 3:36 pm

enough with Prometeus guys sheesh we get it LOL its good ok! lol

Robbie_G_lrish said:

June 22nd, 3:50 pm

Hey Nick, where would you place 3D Dot Game Heroes for 3D Zeldas?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Nick Suttner said:

June 23rd, 10:37 am

I haven’t played very much of so I couldn’t say (though I do own it), but I’d actually lump it in with the 2D Zeldas, from a gameplay perspective. Whereas I’d put Okami and Darksiders in the Ocarina vein.

Spazgadget said:

June 22nd, 4:05 pm

Very much enjoyed hearing from Warren re: Dead Space 3. Interesting well-spoken dude.

Sid, glad you’re finally understanding the brilliance of pinball – Pinball Arcade is so close to the real thing it’s ridiculous. Now get those scores up!

Christian399 said:

June 22nd, 5:01 pm

Sorta off topic, but Robbie_G reminded me of something…

3D Dot Heroes PSN release? That game is a bugger to find in my area.

StealthReborn-- said:

June 22nd, 7:51 pm

PlayStation Blogcast 052: Special Guest – Kevin Butler!

mikedo2007 said:

June 22nd, 8:18 pm

Sweet, I’ll listen to it when I have the time.

etur0 said:

June 23rd, 2:22 am

lol I have know about those 2 tips for years and I do use them I never said anything about it because I though everyone knew about it and the same thing goes for most of tips

Monterossa said:

June 23rd, 5:49 am

where’s Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for the PS3?

other regions got it months ago.

JDivine911 said:

June 24th, 12:58 am

Why doesn’t playstation come out with a PS2 emulator on the PSN store? because I know the launch PS3’s they had them in there but they took them out. but wouldn’t it be smart if they did? I’m pretty sure PS3 players will be THRILLED if they put that on there and just put a little price on it and the players will be sure to thank you. but wouldn’t that be a smart idea?? SOUND OFF!

CallofDidi said:

June 24th, 5:49 am

Isn´t the Youtube App for Vita coming next week? :(

ein_nineteenth said:

June 24th, 7:25 am

Dead Space is about as scary as reading the monthly electric bill.
    I do wonder what they’re -really- planning for Dead Space 3 , at this point I could only imagine the ending being a puppet show being held by Issac and a Necromorph.

Skaterdude15 said:

June 24th, 10:58 pm

Dead Space for PS Vita please !

sk8allday47 said:

June 25th, 4:37 am

Camon psn where is the metal gear HD collection on the ps store? i already made a ps blog share request for that but no response from you guys. metal gear HD colletion is a ps store plus must have, i know some countries in asian already have it but what about USA and EU store?