God of War

Jun 25

Jun 25

PS3 System Software Update (v4.20)

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Tomorrow we will be releasing a new system software update (v4.20) for PlayStation 3 which will include a few minor updates in order to strengthen functionality and improve your overall experience.

As mentioned in our previous blog post, system software update (v4.10) added a feature that enabled you to hear your own voice through the Wireless Stereo Headset when playing multiplayer modes. This type of audio feedback is known as “sidetone.” Based on your comments, system software update (v4.20) will improve sidetone audio performance by giving you the option to select one out of five levels for microphone audio, or turn the feature off completely. For those of you who use the Wireless Stereo Headset to watch Blu-ray or DVD movies on your PS3, this system software update will also enable virtual surround sound functionality, giving you a superior audio experience.

This update will also allow you to set the amount of time that the system will wait before turning itself off automatically for [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and for [Game/Other Features].

Additionally, saved data management has been improved. You will now be able to select multiple saved data items and delete or copy them as a group.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 6

MarcioHuser2 said:

June 25th, 11:48 am

WOW, finally!

BeIoved_ said:

June 25th, 11:48 am

I don’t know about you but didn’t they say they would be release a Youtube app at the end of the month? Tomorrow is the last psn update for this month so…

Oh and maybe it will include a psone classics update as well? Just food for thought.

BINGx_xBONG said:

June 25th, 11:49 am

Also just like xbox, i rather have no internet browser than one that is slow

ROLO_ONFIRE said:

June 25th, 11:51 am

multicopy of save data is finally here! thank you Sony. We need to see Vita integration, why can’t we see trophies and online status on the PS3? the Vita has been out for several months now, we need the experience between both systems to be better. Also you promised remote play for PS3 games over the Vita, I’m still waiting for that

BeIoved_ said:

June 25th, 11:53 am

Anyways, nothing really spectacular is coming out for the ps vita this week anyways, An introduction to the youtube app and ps1 support would certainly make up for it…but then again…

DZORMAGEN said:

June 25th, 11:55 am

I want to be able to see my Vita trophies on my PS3. I want the promised remote play!!

HalMatt said:

June 25th, 12:00 pm

How about an alpha SORT on games. The most basic sort in the universe.

An update to the browser that actually makes it work better. Not freeze up my PS3 or display a black box where the video is supposed to play, and make me sigh as I go in the other room to get my laptop. “Do I want to run the plugin?” ARRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I want to run the friggin plugin.

A new visualizer.

FLAC support.

A video preview for every game, including PS1 and 2 games. Showing GAMEPLAY.

So many easy, basic things that could make the PS3 experience so much better.

duff916 said:

June 25th, 12:00 pm

Thanks Sony!!!

ZombieSamura1 said:

June 25th, 12:03 pm

Where is YouTube on PS Vita? I thought it was promised for end of June?…

krae_man said:

June 25th, 12:04 pm

Wow, How did MarcioHuser2 quote like that?

Let me try something

[quote]test quote[/quote]

OctoG123 said:

June 25th, 12:05 pm

4.20 brah, smoke system updates errday

MushThePainter said:

June 25th, 12:05 pm

@37 – time to put up my dynamic smoke theme

krae_man said:

June 25th, 12:05 pm

Guess it didn’t work.

Dear Sony,

How about updating the firmware so you don’t need twice as much hard drive space to install a game. You need 30gb of free space on your hard drive to install those 15GB PS3 games you have away free with Plus. You fixed this problem on the PSP so you should be able to do it on the PS3.

Also how about being able to put install bubbles into folders.

Emerald_Swords said:

June 25th, 12:07 pm

Nice! Virtual surround with movies should be a real treat.

FORMIK said:

June 25th, 12:08 pm

Could we get the ability to add tags to games? Along with hitting square to cycle between folders, I’d like the ability to cycle through various tags I’ve created, and see all games in a folder of that tag (the benefit being that a game could be found in multiple locations, i.e. co-op, thatgamecompany, zombies, etc.

YouAppreciateMe said:

June 25th, 12:09 pm

If only they could stop the Modding :3

blakseed said:

June 25th, 12:09 pm

Darn you Sony. Give me the world, or I’m leaving you. Just kidding. You guys are great. Just thought I would try to complain for once. Doesn’t work for me.

moecage said:

June 25th, 12:17 pm

previous blog post link does not work.

AmericanNinja1 said:

June 25th, 12:19 pm

@1 Theres no need for that you go a Vita to see Vita trophies/
@6. Buy a PS2.

shrimpdude said:

June 25th, 12:20 pm

How about any kind of saved data management on the Vita?

LpSquall said:

June 25th, 12:23 pm

Eric does say “More details will be available here tomorrow once the system software update is live.” Perhaps there is more in store for this 4.20 firmware update and Sony is giving us a little taste. I think the cross media bar needs a facelift. It can stay the same way but I like how the photos branch out when you click on a folder. Perhaps that structure should be followed for the rest of the xmb ie: videos, music, games.

They really need to fix the ps3 and vita online. I can’t believe I am unable to see what games my friends on the vita are playing from my ps3. Furthermore, it would be nice to group friends ps3 friends or vita friends or both.

Solidmgsnake said:

June 25th, 12:26 pm

Thank you for the wireless headset update. Also, I agree with some of the comments here about PS3 users seeing Vita user information and vice versa.

BoobooJones said:

June 25th, 12:31 pm

This late in the game, I think it’s a little late for a new XMB.

SirTrigalot said:

June 25th, 12:31 pm

Finally on the save data management

Agent_Bauer2424 said:

June 25th, 12:36 pm

lmao @ 19!!! he cant spell Playstation lol, loyal nor game lol wtf?

snakeman07 said:

June 25th, 12:37 pm

Some very nice features I’ve been waiting for! Thanks Sony!

eduar6710-2 said:

June 25th, 12:39 pm

Very good update, but is voice command possible for the PS3?

GGCAN said:

June 25th, 12:42 pm

@ 67 – shrimpdude.

Already have saved data on PS Vita…..

Works with PSN + and if you don’t have +, then you have to attach your Vita to either your PS3, or a computer to do the saves.

mavericknrt said:

June 25th, 1:02 pm

HEY SONY whats with the big announcement for a ps3 update that nobody could possibly be interested in make some updates about CROSS PLAY REMOTE PLAY the vita apps make some update about making all ps3 games playable on the vita in fact what ever games that are for the vita you should make it so the ps3 can play it as well i mean come on now who gives a crap about online chat audio i mean really if you are gonna have an upgrade for the ps3 have some way better features than that I mean thats just a bunch of crap

K3ViNPwNz- said:

June 25th, 1:02 pm

We need voice messaging on psn.Heck even the wii could do it.CMon sony step ur game up

Dante989 said:

June 25th, 1:04 pm

Watched Suits last night with the headset. Sounded horrible. Hopefully this update can fix that.
As for the automatic shut off time. I have my PS3 to shut off after 2 hours of inactivity. IDK if this is suppose to happen but it happens if I’m watching a video and it’s paused for too long or if I’m viewing a photo and it hasn’t been switched within those 2 hours. Unless I’m misunderstanding what they wrote.

KwietStorm said:

June 25th, 1:05 pm

Appear invisible while signed in? Categorized download history list? PS3 is almost 6 years old. C’mon.

stmdpsn1 said:

June 25th, 1:07 pm

I don’t remember Sony ever saying the Vita would remote play PS3 games. I believe they said,” cross game play” that is not the same thing. As far as every thing else I’ve seen asked for, I would love to see many of them implemented. cross game chat being one of them. I can’t believe the PS3 to not be capable of it seeing that it has more power and memory than the 360, and the 360 can.

SlyCooperFan100 said:

June 25th, 1:10 pm

@76: Why don’t you shut up before you start bashing an update? Because if they’re updating something, obviously someone cares about it. A lot of us actually hated their sidetone feature, and this update is a grace from heaven to turn it off during multiplayer. This is a minor update clearly not for you. Don’t start bashing it, because some of us love this update.

kingfoot said:

June 25th, 1:12 pm

Does that include PS+ multiple save files upload/download!?

RdgMenezes said:

June 25th, 1:18 pm

Any solution for the error C1 2858-3 in the PSVita`s minis?

Yohmaru_EX said:

June 25th, 1:22 pm

wow, VERY GOOD!!! Now I can upload my saves to plus server hahahahah. No way i can do that one by one

So Sony, how about a filtering system for our download list?? I have a lot of game and other stuff in my account but I have to search one by one in that HUGE list!!! If I want to download a game that i bought in 2010, then i will finish in christmas, i’m talkin about 800 items!! When we renew the plus membership, all the plus stuff, including the old ones, shuffle with my new items!! Please sony do something about this mess

YungShep said:

June 25th, 1:27 pm

OMGEEEEEEEEEEEEE FINALLY! delete multiple save files at a time! been needing this forever :) i delete items all too often, and its been killer going 1 at a time, thanks! does that feature work for downloaded games as well or just saved data?

i like the heads up notification on when my ps3 will cut off too, thats awesome.

can we get a update for ps vita, hoping to keep the internet running always, i hate when it goes to sleep then the internet has to reconnect, i rather it stay online, all the time!

phatso64 said:

June 25th, 1:34 pm

i agree with # 30 a search tool for our downloads would be AWESOME ! i have 1,361 items on my download list , it’s a real pain trying to find anything . another good feature would be the ability to “hide” delete or move items to storage , thank you .

Cat_Corye said:

June 25th, 1:41 pm

#50
Really? Why would you waste your time writing something that pointless.

This is a pretty cool update, now can you make a update that makes are download list have everything in order by A to Z and add ons and games like Little Big Planet would be in one folder. So when you click on it, it would open up and show all the DLC you got for that game and if you got the downloaded game too.

mystikalguy said:

June 25th, 1:49 pm

Thanks for the update.

Wish there could be a Youtube App for the PS3 just like whats coming for the Vita.

Would love to watch Youtube videos in HD on my PS3

io-knight said:

June 25th, 1:49 pm

Update 4.20, huh? Can I expect my PS3 to go Up In Smoke?

Maj1nX said:

June 25th, 1:52 pm

Any news on the new stereo headsets that was shown at E3 cuz im not sure if i should wait and get those or the ones out now. Thx

mavericknrt said:

June 25th, 1:56 pm

oh and further more why arent you making any announcements about the new vita apps your supposed to be realesing all that this week arent you ?????????????

jcb_815 said:

June 25th, 1:59 pm

Good shizzle.

luvtoseek said:

June 25th, 2:19 pm

People, I love beta testing apps, patches, firmwares, etc… but on the PC. There’s simply more control over the platform. Sometimes these things go sour; I would wait at least 2 weeks before jumping. Unless you’re feeling brave & the updates are just too good to pass up, just be content w/ the current build for now.

xBuTcHeRx said:

June 25th, 2:27 pm

Great new feats, however I don’t use the headsets and don’t plan on buying them until the new ones arrive. MORE PUSH ON VITA!! I’M WAITING FOR PSONE classics on it! As well as HTML5/FLASH support on VITA browser! Oh and can we please get our VITA trophies together with the PS3 console ON the PS3 console? I know cross game chat isn’t happening cause somehow the PS3 has a shortage of RAM which is embarrassing to know how 360 can beat you in this department. SONY you guys should be number one in the charts, you guys pull for the best than number one, wen MS is doing BOTH. I hope you guys can pick up the pace a bit quicker, almost 6 years for the PS3 and still behind, that is NOT good! Love you SONY! And I hope you can get there…. someday….

Blkant said:

June 25th, 2:45 pm

Very disappointing especially after so much time. All features that should have been obvious day one for their related situations and none of them address the bigger issues concerning recent wants/or issues with the PS3 outside the one headset change, which fits under the obvious day one details as it should have always been a choice…..

Firecrest said:

June 25th, 2:48 pm

“PS3’s architecture doesn’t support it” is a frail excuse when it comes to Vita trophies/online presence for PS3. Do we all remember that PS3 didn’t support trophies to begin with?

Anyway, that’s the only addition I’d like to see in a future update. Until then, unfortunately I’ll have to continue playing along with the “firmware update game”.

TMT_Lobbies said:

June 25th, 2:50 pm

they patched the hacking sony but they cant patch the modding

PAGE 1 2 3 4 6