Spider-Man PS4

Jul 02

Jul 02

A Message from Sony Santa Monica Studio’s Newest Employee

Seth Killian's Avatar Posted by Lead Game Designer, Sony Santa Monica Studio

Hello PlayStation, I’m Seth Killian. A few of you may know me as a familiar face in the world of fighting games, but I’m writing today to say that I’ve joined Sony as the lead game designer for the external group at the Sony’s Santa Monica Studio.

sonysantamonica

I was excited to join Santa Monica Studio in particular because of the chance to work with some great individuals, but also because of the incredible range of projects they take on. If you head out of my office and turn right, you’ll run into the “God of War: Ascension” team. If you turn left, you’ll find the Giant Sparrow crew working on “The Unfinished Swan.” There are other amazing studios in the world, but nowhere else that I know where you can find that kind of diversity combined with such a deep commitment to greatness–which also happens to sum up what’s so exciting to me about Sony overall.

The external group works with Sony’s outside studios — teams like Queasy Games (Sound Shapes), Fun Bits Interactive (Escape Plan), thatgamecompany (Flower, Journey), and… SuperBot Entertainment, makers of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale!

Fighting games are very close to my heart, and as someone that’s spent much of my life with traditional fighters, All-Stars has been a great opportunity to take a step back and rethink fighting fundamentals from the ground up. The entire team was put together from scratch to create this game, and they are loaded with fighting game superstars (including some impressive tournament credentials–I’m not even the first EVO finalist to join the team!) who love great combat just as much as I do.

Seth Killian

All-Stars is also a total love-letter to Sony fans. From the characters, to their special moves, to the incredible level 3 supers, and the stages themselves, I’m not sure there’s ever been such a giant dose of fan-service in Sony history. Beyond great character designs or all the ingenious little ideas that make combat feel great, the real test of a great game to me is that “just *one* more game!” feeling. If it’s 3am and you have to work the next day, but you’ve still got the urge to play again, you know you’re doing something right. You only have to walk through SuperBot’s studio and see all the staff being scolded to stop playing their own game andget back to work to know that they’ve really got something special cooking.

You don’t have to take my word for it, however–we’ll be taking All-Stars on the road and making sure you guys have plenty of opportunities to go hands-on, starting with PlayStation’s first official presence at EVO this weekend. More details soon.

For everyone that’s already reached out, thank you so much for the kind welcome into PlayStation Nation, and for everyone else, I look forward to doing my absolute best to give PlayStation fans the great games they deserve.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

StealthReborn-- said:

July 2nd, 9:07 am

Congratulations!

Santa Monica is my favorite studio by far. You’re working with GENIUS minds over there. All the best to you! =)

Seth Killian's Avatar

Seth Killian said:

July 2nd, 10:37 am

The amazing people I get to work with was a huge draw for me–hope I can live up to the history of awesomeness here :)

Reluctant-Hero said:

July 2nd, 9:09 am

From Capcom to Sony Santa Monica?

Yeah, that’s definitely an “upgrade”. Congrats Seth! And I’m now interested in All-Stars…

Zookey said:

July 2nd, 9:11 am

CONGRATS SETH AND SONY SMS!

Tarqosis said:

July 2nd, 9:11 am

Seth is awesome, definitely a great acquisition for Sony Santa Monica, and more reason to look forward to All-Stars!

cecil322 said:

July 2nd, 9:14 am

Congrats welcome to the playstation family

SmokeAdellic said:

July 2nd, 9:14 am

A message from one of a billion psn users: You guys must of been high or stoned when you made firmware 4.20 because your about to brick my system.
I refuse to use the web browser now because it constantly freezes on me and then I have to do like a 12 hour system restore which is putting a hurt on my old skool fat boy ps3.
Its used to to only take like 10 to 30 minutes but now 12 hours seriously?!

P.S. I am not the only one having this problem since 4.20 but I’m actually surprised not to see people on here 24/7 making complaints of it.

Canto4 said:

July 2nd, 9:15 am

Make another Playstation all stars game that’s a one on one like street fighter

Immak said:

July 2nd, 9:16 am

Great news! And here I was, worried that you wouldn’t be sticking around the community. I should have known better.

Thanks again for all that you’ve done so far, S-Kill, and for all that you will no doubt to contribute to Sony Santa Monica.

Rampage@SRK :)

Seth Killian's Avatar

Seth Killian said:

July 2nd, 10:47 am

I could never leave the community. “We are family… all my brothers sisters and me…” :)

FearMonkey said:

July 2nd, 9:19 am

Congrats on the new job, Seth! Hope to be seeing you around here more often now. :D

Bcrazyman said:

July 2nd, 9:20 am

hey great job sony you did it again! great people cant wait what you guys do next?

rafael_martines said:

July 2nd, 9:23 am

You did an amazing work at Capcom… sure you’ll do a amazing work in one of the best SONY studios =D

PowerCorruption said:

July 2nd, 9:28 am

Capcom has the worst DLC and release strategy. I really hope you’re not bringing that to Santa Monica studios.

viceforce said:

July 2nd, 9:29 am

At first I thought they mean Akilliezmight joining Santa Monica because he won Tester Season 3. But this is just as awesome so Congrats Seth.

SHPLIG said:

July 2nd, 9:31 am

Best news of the day! Favorite special combat advisor joins my gaming platform of choice = win!

Congrats Seth! I’m going to go out and pre-order PS Battle All stars asap now. I have complete faith in you guys.

Make sure the game doesn’t suck.

furlowguy134 said:

July 2nd, 9:32 am

its cool and all but why dont hear any new on playstation plus are the other app we should c on vita dont ever hear news on psone classics no news is not good news in this case something is better then nothing even a lie is better then nothing at all

sk8allday25 said:

July 2nd, 9:33 am

This is perfect seth will fit right in! congratz seth!

RedWaltz79 said:

July 2nd, 9:35 am

@12

Yeah, because, as special combat advisor and PR guy for Capcom, Seth had a TON of influence on the business model Capcom’s corporate brain trust decided to use. Seriously?

Anyway, this is GREAT news for Sony fans. Given the role that Seth now has, “lead game designer for external studios,” I can see some great fighting games coming down the pipe exclusive to Sony in the future.

LandmineSalesman said:

July 2nd, 9:38 am

Amazing news!! Sony needs more good game designers at SSM after Jaffe and Barlog left! Looking forward to his games.

BTHRZeroX said:

July 2nd, 9:39 am

Hey Seth is this BTHR Zero X (Moderator) from Capcom-Unity. It was nice working with you during the time you were there, And I hope you Enjoy your new Job at Sony :)

Seth Killian's Avatar

Seth Killian said:

July 2nd, 10:51 am

Hey Zero :) Please give my best to all the mods!

Mr_Nicolas_Cage said:

July 2nd, 9:40 am

This is awesome news. Seth will be a good addition to Sony’s developmental studios.

ItaChu said:

July 2nd, 9:40 am

ah so this is why you left cashCom lol good for you Seth

KILLO31 said:

July 2nd, 9:41 am

I would like to congratulate him on his new job and wish him luck for the future.

KwietStorm said:

July 2nd, 9:46 am

WOW. Welcome aboard, Seth. Never saw this coming. I hope you’ll still attend EVO?

reson8er said:

July 2nd, 9:47 am

As a fan of both Sony and Seth, I think this is very welcome news. Seth, your a class act and I’m positive your knowledge and skills will be a fantastic addition to PlayStation.

It’s doubly fantastic to know you will be with one of the most talented Dev teams on the planet.

Welcome!

HeeroCobain said:

July 2nd, 9:50 am

Congrats on the new position at Santa Monica, for the FGC though, will your new position allow you to attend/commentate at EVO? Even if you can’t attend the tourneys like you used to, it would be nice to see/hear from you at that one.

thegiblet75 said:

July 2nd, 9:51 am

Congratulations Seth! I hope Sony treat you right.

The community here is vocal but also appreciative of great talent and communication. Maybe you can post a follow-up article and describe what an external designer does? Help with balance? Help third party studios refine their designs? I assume you are working across a number of game styles, right?

trapper12 said:

July 2nd, 9:53 am

Congrats Seth for your new job! Can’t wait to see what new games you and Sony come up with next! As a huge PlayStation fan, I am super excited about the future!

Gay_Angel said:

July 2nd, 9:53 am

Thank you Seth for the great dedication and hard work you have put in the FGC and at Capcom. It is wonderful to know you are working with Sony’s Santa Monica studio. My best wishes Seth! ^-^

SarshelYam said:

July 2nd, 9:54 am

No way in heck you can reply to all of these well-deserved congratulatory message Seth, but I’ll add just one more.

This is an incredible day. You have always been an amazing voice for Capcom and, similarly, always very approachable. Your passion and talent are apparent in everything you do so it’s a huge congratulations to Sony Santa Monica for acquiring such amazing talent, and an equally huge congratulations to you on your new adventure.

Glad you’re part of the team!

Seth Killian's Avatar

Seth Killian said:

July 2nd, 10:45 am

Thank you :) All of these messages are really amazing, now I just want to bear down to meet these high expectations.

nv_Los said:

July 2nd, 10:00 am

WOW i cant believe CAPCOM let Seth go!! This is a PLUS for SONY’s ALL STARS!!!!

DignifiedTuna said:

July 2nd, 10:04 am

@29 I doubt they “let him go”. There’s a reason people are leaving the company left and right. Ono will be next, mark my words.

I wasn’t expecting to actually recognize whoever had joined Santa Monica, haha. Congrats Seth. You did fantastic work over at Capcom and I’m glad to see you won’t be leaving the fighting game scene.

hotbaby1156 said:

July 2nd, 10:05 am

Thank’s Capcom four everything ^_-

ChazzH69 said:

July 2nd, 10:05 am

Welcome to Sony & Santa Monica Studios, it’s nice to see someone with passion about their work, join a like minded company & team.

Good luck to you & your projects, I look forward to them.

renewman1 said:

July 2nd, 10:07 am

Congratulations! It will be good to see your technical expertise put to good use!

angibri2000 said:

July 2nd, 10:08 am

Congrats Mr. Killian! Now let’s make sure we have that 30+ roster on PS All-stars BR ok. Definitely makes me glad you will be helping with this game. =)

Adamazing said:

July 2nd, 10:10 am

Radass!

overkills said:

July 2nd, 10:12 am

Congratulation and welcome to Playstation family MR. Seth Killian

djspinal said:

July 2nd, 10:18 am

Welcome Seth!!!!!!! What a surprise!

TheGrimHeaper said:

July 2nd, 10:18 am

Holy hell, this is awesome. Congrats Seth! :D

C004t said:

July 2nd, 10:19 am

Gongrats on Little big planet vita’s release date, err i mean gongrats, welcome to playstation.

luvtoseek said:

July 2nd, 10:20 am

Cheers to Seth & SSMS!

RADRAD1985 said:

July 2nd, 10:20 am

May I say despite how out of nowhere this is, I couldn’t be happier to have you on the Playstation All Stars team. This is one hell of a buff for you, s-kill!

chaindrive30 said:

July 2nd, 10:20 am

Congratulations!!! This is really good news, I’m confident you will bring much to Sony with your experience and talents!

crazy_kracker1 said:

July 2nd, 10:24 am

Very smart move welcome to the SONY family.

winterdust said:

July 2nd, 10:25 am

This is the first time I bothered to login to comment on this blog in years… But I just had to express how HYPE I am that S-Kill is joining Sony! As a huge fighting game enthusiast, I was actually pretty upset when I heard Mr. Killian was leaving Capcom. He has always been such a well-liked and respected member of the fighting game community, and I was worried it would be a while before he decided what to do next. Thankfully, he is joining an already stellar studio that I’m sure understands the extreme talent they have in Seth Killian. I was already looking forward to PS All-Stars, but this news makes it an absolute must-buy day 1.

Welcome to the Sony family, Seth!

T-Dot-M-Dot said:

July 2nd, 10:25 am

Not bad at all. Lets see what Seth brings to the table. Hopefully no stupidly over powered characters like Sentinel, Wesker or Dr Doom…….

Jon_Mclane said:

July 2nd, 10:30 am

Congratulations Seth, glad to see you’ve jumped off the Capcom burning ship! Upon hearing this news I traded in Jab X Timeout and preordered PS All-Stars. I know that team will do right by fighting game fans.

KAPADO said:

July 2nd, 10:33 am

Sony pulled out the big guns now

TooTall19 said:

July 2nd, 10:35 am

No mention of Lightbox Interactive?

Seth Killian's Avatar

Seth Killian said:

July 2nd, 10:48 am

There are way too many great ones to mention. I just had a chance to meet Dylan Jobe last week–fantastic guy!

fiendfest said:

July 2nd, 10:39 am

I’m super excited, Sony to be the ones bringing back a multiplayer platform (and no a 1v1 shift with assist platform doesn’t count). it’s been so long since I’ve been stoked about a fighting game to be honest, but with Sir Killian on board now, can’t wait to see what the team pumps out!

PAGE 1 2 3