PlayStation VR

Jul 15

Jul 15

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Cole and Jak Join the Fight

Daniel Maniago's Avatar Posted by Community Manager, SuperBot Entertainment

We hope everyone had a great time in San Diego at Comic-Con! The convention seems to get bigger every year (not sure how that’s possible), and this year was especially exciting for SuperBot since it gave us a chance to reveal the newest additions to the roster for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale!

Today at Comic-Con, the SuperBot team led a lively discussion panel that gave attendees a sneak peek at the development of PlayStation All-Stars. Alongside our very own Chan Park and Omar Kendall, IGN.com’s Greg Miller joined us as a moderator to explore how the team created our super roster of PlayStation characters and environments for the ultimate cross-over brawler. In addition, they discussed alternate costume decisions, some of the different game modes available, and the concept of the “mash-up.” But of course the highlight of the panel was unveiling two new, highly anticipated additions to the roster. We are pleased to announce the inclusion of Jak and Daxter and Cole MacGrath in PlayStation All-Stars!

Initially debuting on PS2 in 2001, Naughty Dog’s Jak and Daxter series has seen critical acclaim and success, spawning multiple titles on PS2, PS3, and PSP. Fans have enjoyed Jak and Daxter’s signature style and varied gameplay, so we considered them prime candidates for our game. Jak and Daxter are beastly on the Battle Royale battlefield; they’ve definitely been my go-to pair lately here at the studio!

Players familiar with Jak and Daxter’s arsenal will immediately recognize some of the weaponry utilized in PlayStation All-Stars including the Blaster, Needle Lazer, Gyro Burster, and Mass Inverter. When the going gets tough, Jak has the ability to unleash the powers of both Dark and Light Jak to even the playing field, as seen in Jak II and Jak 3 respectively. Daxter even lends a hand in Jak’s melee attacks.

Representing the PlayStation franchise inFAMOUS from Sucker Punch Studios, Cole MacGrath proves to be an unlikely hero with extraordinary powers, so it made perfect sense to us for him to be in the ring alongside some of PlayStation’s heaviest hitters.

Cole takes advantage of a wide array of abilities in inFAMOUS, an experience we hoped to emulate when incorporating him into the game. He is a well-rounded fighter who is effective at both close and long range combat, and is highly mobile as well. Players can command both his electrokinesis and cryokinesis, using these powers to assault opponents from a safe distance or propel himself towards the action. With these abilities, Cole proves to be a formidable adversary for the rest of the PlayStation All-Stars cast!

We’re always excited to share new information about the game, so we hope you’ve enjoyed the reveals so far. We still have lots more to unveil before our October 23, 2012 launch date so don’t forget to pre-order your copy and you’ll be hearing from us again soon. Until next time!

Jak & Daxter PlayStation All Stars Cole McGrath Jak & Daxter PlayStation All Stars

Add Your Own

Troys-Achilles said:

July 15th, 12:37 pm

coles face and animations look very well done. i felt like cole really did jump out of imfamous and right into allstars. however as i look at jak, his eyes look a little like dolls eyes. his eyes seem to be staring off to the distances or off screen. and daxter doesnt look like he has eye lids when he should be blinking at certain actions. i think this could be fix if you bring his eye lids down for both characters and add a couple frames of blinking and bring the eye tool down a bit. i’m currently in my senor year at the art institute of atlanta for 3D animation so like to think i have a little credit.

Jak’s move-set was Awesome btw

Airwalkinman17 said:

July 15th, 12:40 pm

Pre Ordered Yesterday!
Triple YES!!!

sarognk said:

July 15th, 12:40 pm

Sir Daniel Fortesque please :(

By the way so amazing! The more anouncements the more excited i am!!

SGFJTSMS said:

July 15th, 12:45 pm

YES! Still crossing my fingers for Dan Fortesque from MediEvil…Crash, Spyro and Ratchet & Clank, too!

R_aVe_N said:

July 15th, 12:45 pm

great new additions to the game lets hope Rachet, Crash, and Cloud are announced soon!

GhostMachine1 said:

July 15th, 12:51 pm

I WANT NARIKO

jose213jose said:

July 15th, 12:52 pm

How about Cloud from FF7 or lighting from FF13? How about Jaster Rogue, from rogue galaxy. How about Kain from Blood Omen or Raziel from Soul Reaver. Were are the characters that need some light and credit. Adding them will boost some of fans will to buy game even more.

Wait how about adding xenosaga kos-mos to the mix, she should be part of this game along with valkyrie profile lenneth. These’s character earn respect from alot fans who love.

How about star ocean ethereal queen and gabriel celeste their would be awesome to have and i know alot of fans who would love to control them.

wocyob said:

July 15th, 12:59 pm

Really hope Nariko from Heavenly Sword will be in the game.

sarognk said:

July 15th, 1:04 pm

Nariko 100% sure

What about Sir Daniel Fortesque? :(

What do you think guys?

Draco416 said:

July 15th, 1:09 pm

Can you have Dark Cole as an alternate?

Imputed7-14 said:

July 15th, 1:18 pm

I do not get why no one talks about this game. Game Informer did their top 50 of E3 and this didn’t even make the list. All they do is awesome; yes, I used it as a verb. It looks better and better to me.

Now all I need to know is if I can get a BluRay digital PS3/Vita combo pack for like $70 – $80 or something. I will be there. Anyone other takers on something like that?

Imputed7-14 said:

July 15th, 1:21 pm

Oh, My. Word. They both look amazing…sorry just watched the videos. So cool.

estoc1 said:

July 15th, 1:29 pm

OMG….!! WOW!!!!! More lame-@$$ characters in an already inferior rip-off of smash bros. Nintendo still has better and manlier characters than Sony.

blakseed said:

July 15th, 1:35 pm

You guys should come out of far left field with Ethan Mars with his Jason special. That would rock a few faces. Looking forward to a lot of drunken nights with this game. Looking awesome.

SpiritThief said:

July 15th, 1:38 pm

Nice to see some characters we actually know.

Still don’t know who Toro is.

Imputed7-14 said:

July 15th, 1:40 pm

Oh look @63. Nintendo fans doing damage control. How dare someone else make a good game that is in a successful genre. You live a sad life to sit here and rip this game.

IzoGray said:

July 15th, 1:45 pm

1st party character wishlist
-Kat
-Ico
-Wander

3rd party wishlist
-Mega Man or X
-Zero (with the look from his own series)
-Cloud
-Tifa (brawler)
-King Mickey from Kingdom Hearts
-The Sojourner from Journey
-Explodemon
-Kefka
-Dante or Vergil

ItaChu said:

July 15th, 1:47 pm

wow what a surprise lol whos next rachet & Clank xD Dr Nefarious?

ItaChu said:

July 15th, 1:47 pm

Spyro the Dragon

ItaChu said:

July 15th, 1:48 pm

IzoGray yeah Cloud should definitely be in this

sarognk said:

July 15th, 1:48 pm

Next anouncement Snake and Rachet with Clanck

ItaChu said:

July 15th, 1:49 pm

if Cloud is in this I will buy it lol just because of him end of story

ItaChu said:

July 15th, 1:49 pm

talking about Cloud hey you should put Sora from Kingdom Hearts in this too or Riku

estoc1 said:

July 15th, 1:50 pm

@Imputed7-14

Oh look, i don’t care. I’ll be impressed with this game if Sony puts in SNK Playmore characters. (Like Terry Bogard beating up Nathan Drake. Kyo Kusanagil tearing up Cole, and Nakoruru slicing up Kratos.)

ItaChu said:

July 15th, 1:53 pm

Soul Reaver and Legacy of Kain …… ouch! big guys there

ItaChu said:

July 15th, 1:56 pm

Wild Arms characters! you have to put them in there!

sarognk said:

July 15th, 1:59 pm

When the next anouncement?

Daniel Maniago's Avatar

Daniel Maniago said:

July 16th, 8:11 pm

We’ll be having more announcements at gamescom in Germany, which takes place from August 15-19.

MushThePainter said:

July 15th, 1:59 pm

I agree with the need for more female characters, definately Kat from Gravity Rush, Lightning or Tifa or Aeris, Lara Croft would all be welcome additions

Draco416 said:

July 15th, 2:00 pm

Must have Spyro and Ratchet. Possibly Crash Bandicoot too.

ItaChu said:

July 15th, 2:01 pm

people keep asking for Kiryu ….. who in the heck is that …. i hope they dont add some unknown loser lol …..well they added toro …. but that was because he was in sfxt

MushThePainter said:

July 15th, 2:03 pm

I’m sure the character list won’t be lacking, I’m just hoping there are plenty of different modes and things to give it lasting appeal, I want this for my vita but would still like more info on things other than character reveals

MP_is_for_Chumps said:

July 15th, 2:04 pm

@estoc1

I give your trolling skills a 4 out of 10 :)

CreativeMonkey7 said:

July 15th, 2:11 pm

The Game Looks Good But I Cant See It Being Balanced. I Suggest There Is A Beta So Players Can Figure Out Overpowered People, Glitches, And Other Problems. I Am A Fan Of Super Smash Bros Brawl. So I One To Look Forward To This Game But This Game Doesnt Look Like Its Going To Be As Good As Super Smash Bros. In SSBB All The characters Were Balanced Perfectly. I Hope All STars Battle Royal Finds A Way To Balance Characters Equaly

CreativeMonkey7 said:

July 15th, 2:15 pm

One character I Would Just Love Is Sora From Kingdom Hearts. Great Part Of PlayStation In My Opinion

CreativeMonkey7 said:

July 15th, 2:20 pm

i Also recommend That You Dont Announce Every Single Character Just Let It Be A Suprise

shadysaiyanz said:

July 15th, 2:23 pm

Nice reveals, Cole looks like he’ll be a popular one with his move, though id recommend changing that level 3 special, well at least changing it from the on screen third person thing. It doesn’t look right for him and if you do that third person thing with multiple people then it’s just not a cool concept anymore. Also his face doesn’t really look like infamous 2 Cole.

I also agree with DignifiedTuna, the trailers aren’t that exciting. That one with the teens was… it was just awful in my opinion, i get the idea behind it, but just looking at it annoyed me.

sarognk said:

July 15th, 2:29 pm

Please GOD please SIR DANIEL FORTESQUE

Deekman said:

July 15th, 2:34 pm

Still no Kazuma Kiryu! Love that Jak is in it though.

DoTheKiller91 said:

July 15th, 2:36 pm

Chris Redfield? Jill Valentine? Albert Wesker? The first RE game was released on PS1 in 1996… Bring some RE luv to PS All *!

Blkant said:

July 15th, 2:36 pm

These were obvious and I think already known, but definitely needed. Now then, show me Sir Daniel Fortesque from Medievil! And not the annoying one from the Resurection (PSP), but the REAL Sir Dan from the PS1 Medievil.

Blkant said:

July 15th, 2:39 pm

Also, seeing how it releases so close to Halloween, please have holiday maps (i.e. a halloween one :P), or at least with Sir Dan Fortesque a medievil map that can be used as a halloween themed one. :)

Kchow23 said:

July 15th, 2:41 pm

Two awesome reveals! I think that Rachet and Clank are shoe-ins along with Snake. Hopefully there are some awesome 3rd party characters coming.

TenaciousQC said:

July 15th, 2:44 pm

this is my personal characters list :)
– Rachet & Clank
– Cloud
– Sephiroth
– Lara croft
-Nariko
-Sackboy ( he can steal the powers of enemy’s ^^ )
– Crash
– Spyro
– Dante from devil may cry
– Solide Snake
– Dark Cloud characters
– The Bouncer Characters
– Ico
– Megaman x and Zero ( Awsome )
– Soul Reaver
– Legacy of kain
-Wild Arms characters
– Sora from kingdom heart
– Kite from Dot Hack
– 3D Dot Heroes Character lol
– Tomba
– Samanosuke from Onimusha
– Resident evil Characters like Wesker – Chris – Jill
– Konoko from Oni
– Maximo from Maximo vs army of zin
– Scryer from Psy-Ops ( Telekinesis Character )

Kchow23 said:

July 15th, 2:46 pm

Would be awesome if we can pick between “Good” and “Bad” Cole and that gives use a different set of supers.

Xx3rrakxX said:

July 15th, 2:56 pm

Vita players need some love too. Anyone who had played Gravity Rush knows that Kat’s addition to the roster would be amazing. Her powers are unique, and would fit perfectly with the game’s style. Here’s me hoping.

Roxas91317 said:

July 15th, 3:04 pm

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!
COLE MACGRATH! YEEEEEEESSSSSS!

infamousXX87XX said:

July 15th, 3:07 pm

Snake and Cloud better be in this game

SHINSPIKES said:

July 15th, 3:20 pm

When I first looked at IGN’s possible line up of playstation characters, I was disappointed. Because a lot of the characters have guns. I didn’t want a fighting game with characters with guns. I know that Jak has some guns in his game, but it seems so lame and unimaginative, uncreative to have a bunch of characters with guns. Why not just make a FPS or third person shooter? Its supposed to be a fighting game. Jak has a lot that he could do or use, why another person with a gun? Characters like ratchet and clank make sense to have a gun, but now with the current roster, how does ratchet even stand out (different weapons mean nothing, they all shoot)? Be more creative please.

Daniel Maniago's Avatar

Daniel Maniago said:

July 16th, 8:23 pm

Though there are several characters revealed so far that utilize different kinds of firearms, I can definitely confirm that Radec plays much different than Drake plays much different than Jak and Daxter. Also, I can assure you that these characters definitely have plenty more to offer than just guns!

yami930 said:

July 15th, 3:21 pm

I really, really hope that Superbot has a good buisness plan and model for DLC. I really would like to see that they make every DLC charater free, as well as stages, as there are many more ways to make money in other aspects and through different means, maybe like selling costumes / skin packs for every character, I would love if they did this because then it would feel like more characters are in the game, like what if they made a Eddy or Lazerivic skin of Drake? or a Sev and Rico skin of Radec? Offering multiple skins in a similar way they implemented Deimos through a Kraos skin will keep the game feeling different seeing the new faces, and it would be cool if they did a generic soilder character, and just make skins for the soilder character like Ghost from CoD, Valor, Raven and Sver from MAG, Spectre or any other soilder from Socom, because we all know they would all play the same being just military realistic style soilders (unlike Radec and Resistance characters). I would definetly buy costume packs, and / or colors added.

NoGodsOnlyMan said:

July 15th, 3:29 pm

Looking really good. My interest in this game keeps growing. I might even pre order it!