Marvel's Spider-Man

Jul 27

Jul 27

Retro/Grade Blasts Off On PSN August 21st

Matt Gilgenbach's Avatar Posted by Co-founder, 24 Caret Games

Hey everyone, good news: We’ve finished our award-winning rhythm/shoot’em up, Retro/Grade! The game will be released on August 21st exclusively on PS3, and will provide hours of mind-bending rhythm-based gameplay as you fight through reverse-timed space battles.

We’ve gotten many requests to make Retro/Grade’s soundtrack available, so I’ll go ahead and confirm that we’ll be selling it on PSN. If you want the game and the soundtrack, there will be a discounted bundle — we’ll have more details on pricing soon.

Retro/Grade for PS3 (PSN)Retro/Grade for PS3 (PSN)

For those who aren’t familiar with Retro/Grade, it’s similar to a classic Shoot ‘Em Up… in reverse! At the beginning of the game you stop a massive alien invasion, but all the destruction damages the space/time continuum, causing the flow of time itself to reverse. What would have been the final boss is actually the beginning of your backwards journey. You must help Rick Rocket restore the continuity of space/time, before the temporal anomaly rips the universe a new time-hole!

Retro/Grade for PS3 (PSN)Retro/Grade for PS3 (PSN)

Since time is reversed, you must undo your actions to protect the health of the space/time continuum by unfiring your shots, which are timed to the beat of the game’s music. In addition, you must dodge enemy projectiles returning to the guns that fired them. You can unfight the battle with either a DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller or a PlayStation 3 guitar controller.

To learn more about the game, click here and visit the official site. Check back soon — we’ll have much more to discuss, including Retro/Grade’s support for guitar controllers!

Add Your Own

Joe-TFW said:

July 27th, 8:04 am

The game looks pretty stunning. Love the unique approach to a shmup. If the price is right, consider it sold!

Vinland_Krauser said:

July 27th, 8:16 am

I hope the ending shows something better than aliens running amok.

July 27th, 8:53 am

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the ending. :-D

Kane22_ said:

July 27th, 8:20 am

So we waited this long for you guys to only give out a release date? but no price are you serious. by now you should have a price point. seriously what are you guys waiting on now.

July 27th, 8:52 am

I sincerely apologize we haven’t given out pricing information. This may sound a bit silly, but it hasn’t been quite finalized yet even this close to release. I just got some e-mails this morning about it, so we will be announcing it very soon. Thank you for your patience.

Beast780 said:

July 27th, 8:33 am

@3 rule of thumb is always plan on $15 or $12 for PS+. Anything lower is always a bonus.

IzoGray said:

July 27th, 8:34 am

Mind=Blown

Jakintosh said:

July 27th, 8:50 am

FINALLY! I feel like it’s been years since I first saw this… 2009 maybe? I’m so pumped, I’m totally getting this :D

July 27th, 8:54 am

We were indeed featured in the 2009 IGF. We’ve put a ton of work into the game, and it’s much bigger and better than we had originally imagined. I think you’ll be pleased with the results! Thank you for following the game for so long.

Mattsta001 said:

July 27th, 9:08 am

Awesome news. Don’t forget to put out a demo!

July 27th, 9:15 am

We will definitely make a demo available. Retro/Grade is a hard game to wrap your head around until you’ve played it.

Sevyne said:

July 27th, 9:27 am

What a pleasant surprise seeing this game again. I had completely forgotten about it. To see it just pop up out of nowhere with a release date is pretty awesome. I remember being really excited over this one so I’ll be picking it up.

July 27th, 10:15 am

I’m happy to hear you are excited. We’ve been so focused on making the game for a while, we haven’t been good about updating people about the progress of development. We finally finished and have a release date, so you should be able to get your hands on the game soon! :-D

Astro411 said:

July 27th, 10:11 am

This seems like a great game, can’t wait to try it. It plays like a level from Kaleidoscope which i wasn’t really good at ;p

I hope you guys would consider a Vita version because that would be a perfect fit.

ModernYorkster said:

July 27th, 10:39 am

Matt It’s about TIME! I’ve been waiting for this to release since it was announced on the PSB! I hope the community is excited about it’s release and sell’s well! Gotta love the indie scene. Anyway enough with the smoke blowing, my questions deals with the games trophy’s. Is this trophy list going to be extremely difficult, or something we can acheive after some practice?

Thanks
-ModernYorkster

July 27th, 10:51 am

We have a number of trophies ranging from pretty easy to quite challenging. I think it’s achievable after practice though. Depending on how good you are at rhythm games, it might require quite a bit of practice though. I hope you enjoy the finished product!

Joe-TFW said:

July 27th, 11:15 am

Since the soundtrack will be offered on PSN, will there be a bundle of the game and soundtrack together?

July 27th, 11:16 am

Yes, we are offering a bundle of the soundtrack plus the game.

mdnytecartunr said:

July 27th, 11:33 am

I’ve seen on other sites that this is to kick off the “Playstation Plus Presents” program, and this game will be free for the first eight weeks for Plus members. Is this still the case?

July 27th, 1:25 pm

PlayStation Plus Presents is a Europe only program, so in the US, the game will not be free to Plus members. Sorry!

Freducken said:

July 27th, 11:34 am

Looks very cool. A good excuse to dust off the old guitar. Quick question: are you using the strummer to strum or change the position of the vehicle while using the color buttons to strum? I know it will have to be a different mechanic than RockBand/Guitar Hero, but I am curious how you handled it.

Thanks

July 27th, 1:27 pm

When you are using the guitar controller, the fret buttons change the position of the ship, and strumming “un-fires” you shots. When you use the DualShock, up and down move your ship up and down and X unfires. I hope that helps!

shades909 said:

July 27th, 12:11 pm

Is there harder difficulty then in the video ?
It look like a nice game i would like to play, but in the video it look to easy and unleast there’s harder difficulty i won’t buy this game.

July 27th, 1:26 pm

Yes, there is a harder difficulty, and if that isn’t hard enough, we have 130 challenge levels, which have even more challenging twists on the regular gameplay levels, so I am quite sure you’ll be able able to find something that challenges you.

Trieloth said:

July 27th, 1:32 pm

Wow this looks AWESOME! Iam a big old school shooter fan and this looks like tons of fun. I will be buying this no matter what the price is. Thanks!

shades909 said:

July 27th, 2:01 pm

@Matt Gilgenbach

That’s good then, definitely a game i will buy.

HongoXIII said:

July 27th, 2:54 pm

I remember when this was announced years ago.

I assumed it was MIA, but I’m so very happy to see that was never the case.

Definitely can’t wait to (finally) try it.

July 27th, 3:24 pm

We’ve been working very hard on the game for a very long time. I think you’ll be quite pleased with the results!

poodude said:

July 27th, 3:16 pm

This looks great! Is there any offline multiplayer by chance? Such as a versus mode.

July 27th, 3:24 pm

We don’t have any multiplayer modes, but we did design the game to have competitive scoring and have integrated the leaderboards as part of the game experience, so you can compete with your friends online. We don’t have any offline multiplayer functionality though.

PapaPins said:

July 27th, 3:37 pm

Look forward to seeing the final product.
I played it at PAX last year and was one of the top 10 scores.
The game was awesome then, so I can only imagine what a year of improvements and fine tuning have done.

poodude said:

July 27th, 4:49 pm

@Matt

Cool; thanks for the reply. Still looking forward to playing it.

PanTheMan16 said:

July 27th, 5:53 pm

I was shocked when the video said this can be played “WITH A GUITAR” then I read the post and saw “guitar controller ” which is not a guitar. Why do you have to tease us, Matt?! Not cool! :P

July 28th, 9:42 am

Sorry! We didn’t mean to mislead you. I didn’t think about that!

aloafrica said:

July 27th, 7:13 pm

It’s games like this that make me proud to own a PS3. I appreciate that this game is finally coming out, as the wait since 2009 has been long. I can assume there will be some form of a discount for PS Plus members? Either way, I will be purchasing this game. :) Job well done.

July 28th, 9:44 am

We haven’t announced our pricing yet, but if you are in Europe, it’s one of the free games given to PlayStation Plus subscribers!

semajmarc87 said:

July 27th, 7:38 pm

Will the Official PlayStation App for iOS and Android ever come to North America? It’s currently only available in Europe.

ABNVOX said:

July 27th, 8:18 pm

Oh this is def my kinda game! Cant wait for the demo!

Cyraxis619 said:

July 27th, 8:39 pm

This game look great but will it be free for Playstation plus subscribers?

July 28th, 9:43 am

It will be free for PlayStation Plus subscribers in Europe as part of the PlayStation Plus Presents program. That program doesn’t exist in the US, so unfortunately, we can’t offer anything similar.

Deejmodin said:

July 27th, 8:43 pm

Cool music, cool visuals, interesting gameplay – looks like my kind of game!

AizawaYuuichi said:

July 27th, 11:57 pm

One word: WOW. O_O

I wasn’t sure what to think of this just from reading the blog and the comments, but after watching the video… I am super impressed. I’d never heard of this before, but it’s on my radar now, and I’ll most likely be picking this up. Looks like it’ll be a ton of fun to play with my GH:WoR battle axe guitar. :)

Garigandeljey said:

July 28th, 1:00 am

This game looks and sounds delicious.

Computerfreakz99 said:

July 28th, 11:37 am

Hi Matt. So will there be no PS Vita version then? Thanks for your time

FilooGaroo said:

July 28th, 12:01 pm

It’s should really be a price of 1$…. game like IOS…………………

Venom1976 said:

July 28th, 12:25 pm

1$ ?? Seriously??

nunu70000 said:

July 28th, 6:18 pm

IS INFAMOUS 3 comeing out

ATFrez said:

July 29th, 4:42 am

@32 Why are you asking that here? These guys have nothing to do with inFamous!

edddyy said:

July 29th, 11:30 am

Ok, I know this is irrelevent but I desperatly want an answer. It is very unfair that the US store had Battle Fantasia for free and EU didnt. Im a HUGE fighting fan and love to platinum fighting games. But its such a shame that I have the game but there are no trophies so im asking is Battle Fantasia ever going to be free for PSplus members in EU? Ive been waiting so long for thsi game to come with trophies but nothing still.

MushThePainter said:

July 29th, 11:40 am

i wish this was part of PSN PLAY instead of expendables 2..

KainDrake said:

July 30th, 5:15 pm

Hell yeah! Finally! It’s about time. :D I can’t wait.

John-Shooter said:

July 31st, 9:25 am

ehh no thanks.. i’ll stick w/ the soldner-x games