Spider-Man PS4

Jul 29

Jul 29

The Drop: Week of July 30th 2012 New Releases

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar Posted by Senior Social Media Specialist

For PS3, with an expanded setting, a fresh story and characters as well as an all-new technical foundation, Risen 2 expands on the success of this popular RPG franchise. Set several years after the end of Risen, the game drops players into a cataclysmic world where raging titans have devastated the planet and pushed humanity to the brink of existence.

On PSN, two PlayStation 2 classics return this week. Grand Theft Auto 3 and War of the Monsters are new to PSN. Enjoy this week’s The Drop.

PlayStation 3

Risen 2: Dark Waters — Risen 2: Dark Waters aims to combine the most loved classic RPG gameplay mechanics of the original Risen with a fresh theme and setting on a huge variety of themed island locales. Risen 2: Dark Waters maintains the most immersive features of the original Risen, with multiple approaches to every challenge allowing players to shape the game world based on their own decisions. These choices will serve to unlock new paths, features and additional skills for the character.

PlayStation Network

Ridge Racer: Unbounded — The popular racing franchise takes a hard swerve in a unique direction with Ridge Racer Unbounded, adding a punishing dose of destruction to the familiar arcade gameplay. Get ready to take the action off the circuits and into the streets for one of the most action-packed and destructive racing games ever seen. Players will careen through the competition using their four-wheeled street-racing thoroughbreds as high-octane wrecking machines with a new mantra — Drive, Destroy, Dominate.

Expendables 2 — Four Expendables (Barney, Gunner, Caesar and Yin Yang) are hired to rescue an extremely valuable, kidnapped Chinese billionaire. It’s all business, until all hell breaks loose and the explosive mix of testosterone and kerosene detonates in a massive fireball that never lets up as the relentless action concludes where the new movie begins.

Demos

• Expendables 2
  • Transformers 2: Fall of Cybertron
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2013

PlayStation 2 Classics

Grand Theft Auto 3 — Mob bosses need favors, crooked cops need help, the street gangs want you dead; so to compensate you’ll have to rob, steal, and kill in order to stay alive, while using your resources to track down the woman who betrayed you and earn your rightful revenge. But that’s all in a day’s work in Rockstar Games’ ambitious PS2 sequel, Grand Theft Auto III. Developed by DMA Design, GTA3 is the first installment of the series to utilize a fully three-dimensional living city with open environments and non-linear gameplay. Additional features include a cast of hundreds of different characters, more than 50 types of vehicles, three hours of professionally recorded music, and a huge array of deadly street weapons.

War of the Monsters — Get ready to embody the soul of a 100-foot tall monstrosity as you clash with opponents in thriving cities, run rampant through bustling streets, pulverize opponents with body slams and fight off military defenses. War of the Monsters enables you to re-live your favorite monster movies with ten different creatures engaging in all out carnage. Ten fully interactive environments offer numerous weapons, including steel girders, radio antenna, moving vehicles, building rubble, army tanks and more. Clobber opponents with thunderous uppercuts, hand-to-hand weapons and destructive special attacks. Use huge hunks of debris as a shield, topple buildings onto your foes or pick up and throw tanker trucks like toys. Take advantage of environmental attacks such as tidal waves and earthquakes to defeat your opponent and claim total domination.

[Editor’s Note: The following dates are subject to change. Game details are gathered from Press Releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating descriptions.]

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

KwietStorm said:

July 29th, 4:05 pm

Grand Theft Auto was one HD collection I really wanted. Can’t understand why Rockstargames wouldn’t just outsource the porting.

sk8allday25 said:

July 29th, 4:07 pm

GTA 3 and war of the monsters?! wow sweet! hope we get def jam fight for new york soon.

duke301 said:

July 29th, 4:08 pm

The PS3 titles don’t really interest me this week. I may pick up GTA III, however. I sold that when I sold my PS2. I’ve never even heard of War of the Monsters, but it looks pretty good. It’s really too bad they don’t have demos for PS2 games.

KingDubin said:

July 29th, 4:09 pm

The Ford Model T: The Car That Changed The World.

The Beatles: The Band That Changed The World.

GTA3: The Video Game That Changed The World.

Pretty good company if you ask me.

And one day, I will make The Movie That Changed The World. ;-D

The-Kese-Arcade said:

July 29th, 4:09 pm

@ sk8allday25 I second that! GTA 3 and War of the Monsters! In my Mordecai voice: OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!

and a demo for Transformers 2? Nice Drop!

KingDubin said:

July 29th, 4:11 pm

I can still remember the very first time that I played GTA3. I was 15-16 years old and either my Mom or her then-BF bought it for me. Forget which one; I believe it was the latter.

ASC2175 said:

July 29th, 4:13 pm

Everything else was lame…then I saw GTA III…that about made up for everything else…oh, and the fact that…Street Fighter X Tekken character DLC…and Kingdom Hearts 3D…gonna be busy this week.

JH-FallenReaper said:

July 29th, 4:14 pm

WAR of the MONSTERS! I played that game nonstop when i was a little kid. Getting it next time i pick up a PSN card.
To anyone who knows some good J-RPGs wich should i get StarOcean, White Knight Chronicles 2, or Tales of Grace F? Oh, i almost forgot BF3 sucks.

Tjoeb123 said:

July 29th, 4:20 pm

Any chance us PS+ members are going to get our Instant Game Collection update tomorrow? Or will that be next week?

Mikaa1701 said:

July 29th, 4:20 pm

War of the Monsters? Dang, hadn’t thought of that one in a while. Might have to get that one.

Hoping some good sales round out this Week, as it is rather light on content. Maybe a few suprises are in store? Here’s hoping.

Oh, and last week I noticed several references to a major store update due Aug. 7th, mostly in relation to the Vita. Any comments?

DonCalzone21 said:

July 29th, 4:20 pm

Already loving the TRANSFORMERS: FALL OF CYBERTRON demo… so glad I pre-ordered, wait until you guys play it. 3 different demo modes to play.

Megadrixfire_24 said:

July 29th, 4:21 pm

gta 3? i know its a very nostalgic classic game but i prefer gta san andreas or vice city more than a thousend times than gta 3.

Mikaa1701 said:

July 29th, 4:22 pm

And while GTAIII was a good game in its day, it has not aged well. Still better than most of its copycats, but time has not been kind. Still a bit fun, though Vice City ran circles around it from what I remember. Would love to see a new entry in the style of Chinatown Wars. Was a suprisingly good hybrid of 2D and 3D.

Carl-G said:

July 29th, 4:22 pm

GTA3 is a true PlayStation 2 CLASSIC!!! :P I will never forget playing that game for the first time :P (i just couldn’t stop playing it) Now lets have TimeSplitters 1 + 2(the best) + 3(FP) :P (or in HD would be even better)

Megadrixfire_24 said:

July 29th, 4:22 pm

When can we expect the psplus august post? thanks

KazeEternal said:

July 29th, 4:24 pm

.hack//GU vol 1 – 3
Xenosaga Episode 1-3
Soul Calibur 2 & 3
Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy X-2
Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver 2
Legacy of Kain Blood Omen 2
Legacy of Kain Defiance
…. I could keep going… but lets start here

JH-FallenReaper said:

July 29th, 4:27 pm

Was very surprised with WarHammer 40k Space Marines, got it for free on PS Plus and played it alot, so i went and bought me a Physical Copy at Best Buy for $10 bucks,plus Dragon Age 2. War of the Monsters still cant believe its coming. I miss Incognito.

SHINOBI_3 said:

July 29th, 4:28 pm

damn, still no tony hawk hd or way of the samurai 4. oh well. i cant wait for double dragon neon!

oZc-Gauss said:

July 29th, 4:28 pm

July was a pretty bad month for PS+ members.

AsiaQatar said:

July 29th, 4:30 pm

Guys there will be NO PS+ updates til next week.
You can see this by looking at the ‘expiring soon’ section. None of the IGC are coming down this week, hence no free games this week.

Now, I am hoping that the ‘expiring soon’ section is full come this Tuesdays update. These games seriously need to be refreshed.

AsiaQatar said:

July 29th, 4:32 pm

Cont. as it stands, my PS+ has lapsed. I’m not going to be re-subscribing until I see some serious new content.

sword_script523 said:

July 29th, 4:39 pm

War of the Monsters was an incredible game! I’m glad that’s returning here. I wouldn’t mind seeing a War of the Monsters 2 on PS3, especially with an online verses mode! :D

Then again, let’s just work on Star Wars: Battlefront III if we’re going to make any sequel to a PS2 game. That sounds good to me.

fisheye11 said:

July 29th, 4:40 pm

GTA3 and war of the monsters! wow this is refreshing from the past PSone/PS2 classics. although i much rather had both games given the HD treatment. it would have been fun to play war of the monsters online.

AsiaQatar said:

July 29th, 5:01 pm

@18 SHINOBI_3

We may have dodged a bullet regarding Tony Hawk HD not being available yet.. Overwhelming disappointment from our Xbox cousins so far.
Plays nothing like the originals apparently, and a lot of the modes have either been gimped, or outright scrapped.
Even the demo has been the subject of ire. Only let’s you play for one minute. LOL. Literally, 60 secs of gameplay.
It IS Activision we re talking about here, remember. All I’m saying is buyer beware.

DeathKidd said:

July 29th, 5:03 pm

Please for all that it’s holy, can someone tell me if Ragnarok Odyssey is coming to Vita on August?

sk8allday25 said:

July 29th, 5:05 pm

@9 Tjoeb123 plus august update is schedule to be reveal this week,that what morgan said on another reply.

Enigma2010 said:

July 29th, 5:36 pm

What an incredible update this week! You got Risen 2, Expendables 2 demo, and King of the ring classic GTA 3! believe it or not i never finished gta 3.I remember I got 3/4 of the way through and got pissed for some reason and snapped the game in two. But I will finish it this time.Did you guys know that Risen 2 is made by the same publisher as Dead Island? Anyways real awesome update! keep up the good work. :-)

AsiaQatar said:

July 29th, 5:37 pm

@26 if that is the case, expect disappointment. No way they’re keeping the current content up AND adding to it.
Morgan has been wrong on more than one occasion, remember. Like every week.

Enigma2010 said:

July 29th, 5:43 pm

Also I have two question for you Rey Gutierrez if you have the time. 1) I’ve been following Pete Hines of Bethesda on word of Dawnguard and he said recently today that there is news coming for dawnguard. Do you know anything on its release for ps3 or any information whatsoever concerning it? 2) When is Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 coming out-its release date?

Enigma2010 said:

July 29th, 5:45 pm

P.S. I know already that he said in a twitter that there was “no plans for other consoles or a timeline given”, but then he said today “everyone sit tight, news is coming.”

MarkakaJin said:

July 29th, 5:49 pm

I’m ready for this coming week’s update. I hope you guys got something in store for us, PS+ subscribers. Last update was extreme weaksauce. Even the noodles wasn’t cooked in al dente.

Enigma2010 said:

July 29th, 5:52 pm

That avatar is the dumbest ive ever seen.lol

Zangetsu47 said:

July 29th, 5:52 pm

yo sony lets get GTA San Andreas up on the store….it would sell like hot cakes and while your at it put kingdom hearts on the store too.

Kchow23 said:

July 29th, 5:53 pm

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron… there is no 2.

BANDICOOTKING said:

July 29th, 6:07 pm

Below Average drop
no VITA News
no Dawnguard news
no PS1 classics.

If PS1 classics don’t come out next week, I’m getting rid of my VITA

jrowand said:

July 29th, 6:15 pm

Damnit I’m pissed no news on Tony Hawk HD yet? Crappy release drop as usual Xbox already has it Sony has dissapointed me for far to long.

RAGE__GOD said:

July 29th, 6:15 pm

Where is Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 on the PS2 classics!?!?!?!

TallCrowe said:

July 29th, 6:16 pm

GTA III was the last great PS2 GTA game. I hated it when the main character started talking.

Goddess_Katheryn said:

July 29th, 6:19 pm

Meh… Looking forward to Grand Theft Auto III at the very least. I really liked that game.

fathead170 said:

July 29th, 6:23 pm

star wars battlefront ps2 games please!

MushThePainter said:

July 29th, 6:41 pm

Picking up GTA3 with my free PSN card I just got!! If anyone’s interested, download the free app JunoWallet or Bamboo Wallet and use the code CK119746 for a starting bonus, basically you get paid to download free apps, no catch, if you guys have any questions add me on PSN @ MushThePainter

MushThePainter said:

July 29th, 6:46 pm

Can I pre-order Sound Shapes this week?

Teflon02 said:

July 29th, 6:49 pm

please tell me theres going To be a Square ENIX Sale like the euro store. I want to get FFIV and duodecum for my vita but seen it was like $10 on the euro store this month, so i got the 2 games on sale Hexyz Force and Crimson Gem Saga, totally worth the $7.49 each would have paid $14.99. Same for FF but I was hoping I could get atleast FFIV and Lunar Silver Star Harmony both for 30 since i have 10 left over and i am geting a 20 card tmrw :). I’m going to put the money on my account and wait til atleast the first update of august on i thnk the 7th. Thats if I don’t beat both HF and CGS within that time. :)
Crunchyroll This Week!! now I’ll keep up with Fairy Tail Legally :)

homer4hire said:

July 29th, 6:50 pm

Please tell me that R1,R2,L1 left down right up left down right up still means something.

Gamesgbkiller said:

July 29th, 6:54 pm

is War of the Monsters going to be on EU store TOO ?
PLZ answer .

PsychoSploosh69 said:

July 29th, 6:58 pm

YES! Finally GTA III! Thanks Sony! I just hope it’s better quality than Max Payne. The colours were all faded, and was only a slight improvement over the ps2 version. But either way, 1 down 1 to go. Can’t wait for Vice City. I wish they’d do San Andreas too, but I know it’s not in the cards right now.

Deekman said:

July 29th, 7:10 pm

Great to see more PS2 games. Still no Vita games though.

Any chance of a PS1 or PSP sale for Metal Gear Solid’s 25th Anniversary?

Peace Walker is a PSP greatest hits title so the digital price should at lest be $14 to match in store prices!

luvtoseek said:

July 29th, 7:12 pm

@1, same here. Has Rockstar ever released an HD remake? They seem to make sequels & new IPs but never HD conversions. Ports from console to PC & vice versa, yes… but I’m sure everybody would agree that PS2’s GTA series would sell very well if HD’ed.

@4, haha, I like you’re attitude! Best of luck on that film!

@17, THQ did great w/ that Warhammer title! I suggest the PSN game counterpart if you want more Warhammer- it’s very underrated!

@24, I’m not a Tony Hawk fan but gaming sites have claimed that it’s selling really well. Maybe it plays terribly, IDK…

@25, if Ragnorak does get released in August, that will be like a knife in the dark. The vids look great & it’s selling nicely overseas… *fingers crossed*

@30, are you sure he isn’t referring to the PS3 patch? If not, bring on Dawnguard- I’ll like to get back to Skyrim!

RENEGADE-Xx-xX said:

July 29th, 7:50 pm

Forget ps1 support for vita can you PLEASE make ps2 psn support for vita. I know it can be done the vita is powerful enough so why not mention psn ps2 classic vita support. That would be awesome right there.

FNF420 said:

July 29th, 7:51 pm

still waiting on the vita update. just want to play my ps1 games on my vita.

PAGE 1 2 3