God of War

Aug 09

Aug 09

Ragnarok Odyssey on PS Vita is a Giant-Smashing Good Time

Brittany Avery's Avatar Posted by Production Coordinator, XSEED

Ragnarok Odyssey for PS Vita

Hey guys! How are you? You’re doing awesome, you say? That’s pretty awesome, I’m doing awesome myself. And you know why? Because I’ve been playing Ragnarok Odyssey for PS Vita. In English.

[Insert gasps of excitement here]

Are you ready to stand taller than giants? You should be, because that’s what this game is all about. One day, a passage along the Millennium Peaks gives humans access to the long-sealed off Sundered Land, and because they’re really lucky, it’s filled to the brim with mighty beasts that seem to want nothing more than to destroy mankind’s territory — Trogdor-style. Only they’re not dragons with handsomely chiseled arms, they’re ugly Giants. Giants who like to smash things.

Ragnarok Odyssey for PS VitaRagnarok Odyssey for PS Vita

That’s where you come in. You’re a mercenary on the front lines, and once you choose your sex, job class, and how cute you are (by way of hair style/color, skin color and voice type), you’re ready to drop in on Fort Farthest like a bat out of hell. And don’t worry, you’re only restricted to your default job class for a short time — you’ll soon be able to go from hacking and slashing as a Sword Warrior to creating miniature explosions as a Mage with a mere wardrobe change. And even that won’t be a limitation soon enough, because I’m sure some of you would prefer to be dressed like you just walked out of a western while whacking things upside the head as a Hammersmith, right?

Ragnarok Odyssey for PS Vita

There are myriad lands with different environmental themes to discover in the Sundered Land, each with their own badass brand of monsters and Giants waiting to put their jaws (or slime — actually, that sounds kind of wrong, just go back to jaws) around your pretty little head. Accompanying these landscapes is a combat system that’s fast-paced and all-over-the-screen in the best kinds of ways. Battle your enemies using an arsenal of weapons at your disposal depending on your class, building what the title calls “tension” — the more tension you build, the more powerful, flashier and just all-around more awesome your specialized attacks will be. Thrust your enemies into the air, leaving them defenseless to your blows, or use the knockback ability to drive them clear off the screen.

Ragnarok Odyssey for PS VitaRagnarok Odyssey for PS Vita

What else does this game have? Well, there’s certainly more. Way more than I could possibly explain in one blog entry. But for now, I’ll leave you with one more fun fact: remember the beloved Porings in Ragnarok Online? They’re back. And you can wear them. On your head. So now that that little gem’s been unveiled, be patient girls and boys and we’ll talk again soon, okay?

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

Elvick_ said:

August 9th, 6:05 am

Will the online patch be in the base game? Or will it be a patch like in Japan?

August 9th, 9:12 am

The online patch will indeed already be in the game right from the very start! Hooraaaay.

Zoomy-Ramen said:

August 9th, 6:08 am

Will this come out in Europe?

August 9th, 9:14 am

Unfortunately, we can’t answer any questions about Europe, since we only have the North American rights. Sorry!

G-Force08 said:

August 9th, 6:09 am

Is the release date August 21st? That’s what I see from some retailers, and I have been planning on getting this game for a while but I haven’t seen an official release date announcement.

Anyway, I’m glad it is finally addressed on the PS blog because whenever I talked about it, people were clueless because they never heard of it before. It looks like it will be fun and more people should know about it, especially if they have a Vita!

Looking forward to the game!

August 9th, 9:15 am

Thanks! As of right now we haven’t announced a release date yet, so any release dates you see are placeholders made by retailers. We’ll let you know when we have one!

Binary said:

August 9th, 6:09 am

When will this be on the PSN ?

August 9th, 9:16 am

No release date yet, but we’ll let you know as soon as we can!

remanutd5 said:

August 9th, 6:10 am

i’m not an RPG kinda guy but i have played and love some action RPGs through generations and this game looks like a very good action RPG , if there is a demo on the store and i try it and like it, i’ll buy it for sure. Looks really good.

August 9th, 9:21 am

Thank you! It’s definitely action-y, if that’s what you’re looking for. Very, veeeery action-y. And since you like demos, you’ll be happy to know we’ll have a demo for Ragnarok Odyssey! It might be coming out shortly after the game’s release, but we’re still ironing out the details there. We hope you enjoy it!

remanutd5 said:

August 9th, 6:11 am

oh and vita is getting good games with Sound Shapes, this game and Little Big Planet next month.

iriihutoR84 said:

August 9th, 6:17 am

Why is there an Orgarhythm picture in this article? I know XSEED is publishing that game too but it doesn’t really belong there it seems?

Looking forward to seeing dates for both games, hopefully soon!

August 9th, 9:22 am

You know, I have no idea, haha. At least it’s a very pretty screenshot to go along with the Ragnarok Odyssey ones.

Thanks a lot! We’ll try and keep you posted!

darylsdn said:

August 9th, 6:19 am

Looks great! Will it come to Europe?

August 9th, 9:22 am

We only have the North American rights, so we can’t answer anything about Europe, sadly!

logicsquirrel said:

August 9th, 6:20 am

I will be getting this as soon as it is on the Playstation Store… I have been waiting for it.

August 9th, 9:23 am

:D Awesome! I’m very happy to hear that!

BlindsideDork said:

August 9th, 6:20 am

I’d like to see more video of gameplay/fighting. And co-op is how many players?

August 9th, 9:25 am

We’ll have a gameplay trailer before the game comes out, promise! It’ll be a sight to see, the gameplay is pretty action-y. And Ragnarok Odyssey will have 4-player co-op, no versus mode.

Gorvi said:

August 9th, 6:24 am

Absolutely can not wait for this game, it looks fantastic. Will all the DLC from the Asian versions be included?

August 9th, 9:29 am

I’m glad you’re so excited for it! That makes me excited to write about it and stuff. All patches from the Japanese version will be already included right from the start, and all DLC from the Japanese version will be released as DLC.

inFAMOUS-787 said:

August 9th, 6:34 am

At this point i will buy anything that drops for this thing just do dust it off,after gravity rush i havent seen anything! only so much gems one can collect…..

August 9th, 9:35 am

We’re happy it’s a gem you want to collect! A very pretty gem.

RdgMenezes said:

August 9th, 6:39 am

Finally, want it so much..

August 9th, 9:35 am

:D We’ll be sure to shower you with more details soon!

Ahkiva said:

August 9th, 6:42 am

GIVE US A RELEASE DATE OR GIVE US DEATH!

August 9th, 9:30 am

NO WE CAN’T HAVE DEATH ON THIS BLOG WE LOVE YOU TOO MUCH

kivi95 said:

August 9th, 6:45 am

How about a EUROPE release?

August 9th, 9:32 am

We only have the North American rights, so we can’t answer anything about a European version. Sorry!

Zeruel36 said:

August 9th, 6:46 am

Thanks so much XSEED for localizing this wonderful title. I’ve played the JP Demo and I can honestly say that this game is epic. Day one buy for me. It’s colorful and beautiful on the Vita screen. It has fun, fast paced action. Tons of customization. Best of all, 4 player coop!

Just please give us a date soon! I’m dying here! I <3 XSEED

August 9th, 9:33 am

We will, we will! We’re just making sure everything is perfect-o first for you guys. Thank you so much for the support! ♥

Mister-Nep said:

August 9th, 6:53 am

I have this game already pre-ordered. on Amazon I just wanted to ask, but the answer won’t actually change my pre-order. Will the DLC included in the Asia version be free for US?

August 9th, 9:34 am

Awesome, thank you for the support! What’s free DLC in the Japanese version will be free in the North American version, and what’s paid DLC in the Japanese version will be paid in the North American version.

ABNVOX said:

August 9th, 6:58 am

this game looks awesome, im def interested in picking it up!

August 9th, 9:34 am

Thanks for being awesome! :D

remanutd5 said:

August 9th, 7:04 am

i know this is off topic but i dont know where to post it, hey Jeff, Sid, Rey or anybody at the blog i keep hearing sony will drop the price of a bunch of psvita and ps3 games next week but i want to know if you guys are dropping prices of the digital versions too, i mean i will be buying Resistance Burning Skies and ModNation Racers Road Trip for my little nephew but i want the digital versions on psn.

JegBot said:

August 9th, 7:04 am

I NEED a game like this for my Vita!

RdgMenezes said:

August 9th, 7:05 am

Zeruel36 Day one buy for me too, cant wait to see porings, poporings, etc.. :)

Beast780 said:

August 9th, 7:06 am

I am so excited for this one!

BlooodyCow said:

August 9th, 7:10 am

Release date?

Couple of questions.
1) Can you craft new weapons and armors from your quests?
2) Is it online and offline?
3) Will there be a digital version?

August 9th, 9:42 am

We’ll let you know of a release date soon! We just want to make sure things are a-ok first.

1.) Yes! Acquiring weapons and armor works like this: You can defeat enemies and they’ll drop a rare weapon, or they’ll drop items that can be used for crafting. You can visit the Clothing store or the Blacksmith and, from a list of weapons/clothing that grows bigger with each chapter, use those items to create a brand new weapon/outfit! And even better, if you’re pretty partial to a particular weapon or outfit, you can upgrade those as well to benefit you. I’m partial to the Gunner outfit, myself, hahaha.

2.) There is an offline single-player mode, but you can also do online co-op with up to four players. Have fun taking out really strong giants with your friends and stuff!

3.) Yes! Digital and Physical release, so the best of both worlds.

TomatoDragon said:

August 9th, 7:18 am

Okay…this is looking good to me. Vita is picking up heat. Will keep my eye on this. :)

InvaderZig said:

August 9th, 7:19 am

Well, we may have lost Monster Hunter, but we gained this, Phantasy Star Online 2, and Dragon’s Crown. I’m leaning more towards the latter two, but this looks interesting as well. I hope the ridiculous grinding from the original online game is not present though

remanutd5 said:

August 9th, 7:20 am

wow i have just seen gameplay video in youtube, this game looks really good.

bmart008 said:

August 9th, 7:22 am

I’m excited for this game, but there is a problem with it….

No release date! Give us the release date! I want it!

August 9th, 9:45 am

We’ll let you know soon! :D

Christian399 said:

August 9th, 7:25 am

Wondering like the rest here as to what the release date is.

Christian399 said:

August 9th, 7:26 am

Oh, and any chance of bringing any of the Vita F2P MMOs over? Gamearts has one in the pipeline and there is a second one that I can’t recall off the top of my head.

DarktaxFA said:

August 9th, 7:34 am

bring this game to the EU and i will get all my friends to buy it been looking it to come over here since saw footage of it in japan ; D

Mterre said:

August 9th, 7:42 am

More than child’s play disappointment

creid8 said:

August 9th, 7:44 am

The image links don’t work, flickr says they are “private pages.”

Shadow_Kamui said:

August 9th, 7:56 am

will be demo of this game ????

August 9th, 9:46 am

Yes! There will be a demo, though it might come out shortly after the game is out.

MarcoRelius said:

August 9th, 8:08 am

Wait so what is the release date? You can at least tell us that :/

August 9th, 9:47 am

We can’t! We wish we could, but we want to be extra sure of the release date before we announce anything. We’ll let you know when we know!

Reluctant-Hero said:

August 9th, 8:12 am

A few questions:

– Will the online “network play” patch be applied to the US release?
– Will the physical, retail, copy of the game include a printed instruction manual?

Other than those two questions, just say the word on an official release date, XSEED. My money will be yours.

August 9th, 9:52 am

1.) Yes! All patches made in the Japanese version will be included right from the start.
    2.) Vita games typically comes with digital only instruction manuals, but we haven’t finalized out packaging yet. Stay tuned!

And we’ll let you know of a release date when we can! Promise!

Sevyne said:

August 9th, 8:23 am

I too would love to know a release date. IF it is true it is due for August it would be a bit annoying to not have that officially announced yet. People like to prepare for releases by putting a little money aside. Releasing on short notice is kind of annoying.

August 9th, 9:54 am

Any dates you see currently are not official release dates, but placeholder dates made by retailers. We’ll let you know when we have a release date! We keep it a little closer than average because we like to be absolutely sure that it’s coming out on that date. :D

sirauron14 said:

August 9th, 8:26 am

when is the release date!!!

August 9th, 9:54 am

We’ll let you know when we have one!

RenderMonk said:

August 9th, 8:31 am

Thank you soooo much for finally bringing some RPG action to the Vita. RPG’s are what’s missing from the Vita’s library. I too really hope it comes out in August, but from what I read in the latest Game Informer magazine, it looks like the release date is set for September 11th guys. Hopefully this is misinformation, as now is when the Vita needs this release, not next month. But either way, I’m pumped to finally get some kick-butt RPG action on my Vita.

August 9th, 9:56 am

Any dates you see are placeholder dates, since we haven’t announced a release date yet. But thank you so much for the love, and we’ll let you know how things are going soon!

guitarded77 said:

August 9th, 8:57 am

August 28th (source: Amazon)

I’ve been waiting for this game to come to the US.

August 9th, 9:56 am

No official release date yet- all dates floating about now are just placeholder dates from the retailer. We’ll let you know soon!

mckg123456789 said:

August 9th, 9:03 am

FINALLY ! PLease tell me it’s coming out august 21st! or somewhere in that timeframe! I want this game sooo bad ! My vita is urging for me to insert this game into it ;)

August 9th, 9:57 am

We’ll let you know when it’s coming out, but not yet! We are very happy that you’re excited for it. :D

SolduNuts said:

August 9th, 9:21 am

I really want the Vita to succeed with plenty of RPG’s like the PSP did. This game and Persona 4 Golden seem to keep the RPG tradition alive on Sony handhelds. This game has peaked my interests and I will be looking out for more info about it. Thanks for another good looking game on the best portable ever, the Vita.

Sold.

Neil said:

August 9th, 9:22 am

This is exactly the kind of game I want to play right now.

MushThePainter said:

August 9th, 9:36 am

so awesome, please give a release date so i can slap a pre order down!

NoGodsOnlyMan said:

August 9th, 9:37 am

this is the first jrpg slashing into the vita and is about time. i will buy day one or preorder given the option (digital).

Keep them coming, we keep buying!!!

Stealth20k said:

August 9th, 9:42 am

When will xseed finish legend of heroes

C98976 said:

August 9th, 9:43 am

wish it were coming to europe!!

Sonicfan11589 said:

August 9th, 9:43 am

This makes up for Phantasy Star Portable 2 not being playable on Vita and to hold over till Phantasy Star Online 2 for Vita some time next year. Thank you! I’m definitely interested in this game.

LS_Lodofan said:

August 9th, 9:52 am

I’m waiting this game for 6Months! I can’t wait anymore! Give us a release date pleaaaase!
No doubt… this will be the best game of vita!

August 9th, 1:34 pm

Hee, I’m glad you think that! We’ll let you know the release date ASAP! :D

DesmortoX said:

August 9th, 10:16 am

I was envying the japonoses cause only they had the best releases. Thx god you’re releasing these great tittles here too!

furlowguy134 said:

August 9th, 10:22 am

make sure to keep us posted love games like this but im looking for a game called jade cacoon can you help me out here was wondering if it could b put into playstation store

PAGE 1 2 3