PlayStation VR

Aug 14

Aug 14

Media Molecule’s New Project Revealed: Tearaway for PS Vita

Siobhan Reddy's Avatar Posted by Studio Director, Media Molecule

Tearaway is kind of like a buddy movie. It stars iota, a messenger from a paper dimension, whose envelope head contains an urgent message to deliver… to you! It’s a very special message, and one that’s unique for each and every player. In order to read yours, you’ll need to take up the role of co-star and, together with iota, journey through the vibrant papery landscape — two buddies going on an epic adventure.

You and iota will travel afar, taking on enemies and helping those in need. You’ll conquer adversity and discover magical papery surprises. But in Tearaway, you’re holding more than just a PS Vita in your hands — you’re holding the paper world itself!

Using the god-like powers inherent to someone who can hold an entire world in their giant hands, you can make your presence felt using a wide range of godly powers that take advantage of all the PS Vita’s bells and whistles — some subtle and some epic. You can shake things up or turn them upside down. A gentle breath from you is a gusty storm. You can even poke your fingers into the back of the PS Vita to tear through into the world and help iota complete this very special delivery.

Check out all this and more in the trailer below…

Anything you see in Tearaway’s papercraft world can be created in the real world from bits of paper! See for yourself — head on over to our Facebook page to get the plans to make your very own customizable Tearaway Papercraft Elk. Be sure to visit us on Twitter too, and show us your creations! For anything else, you can check out Tearaway’s official site.

Tearaway for PS VitaTearaway for PS Vita

Check out all the news coming out of Gamescom 2012 on PlayStation.Blog

See the First Trailer for Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified on PS Vita

PlayStation All-Stars Gamescom Reveal: Dante, Sackboy, Spike, Ratchet and Clank

Gamescom: New The Last of Us Trailer

Watch the GamesCom Trailer for Killzone: Mercenary

PSone Classics Coming to PS Vita via the latest System Software Update (v1.80)

Until Dawn — New PS Move Horror Game — Announced for PS3

The Curtain is Raised on Puppeteer, a New PS3 Adventure

PlayStation Plus Coming to PS Vita, Online Game Save Storage Getting Upgraded

Are You Ready for the God of War: Ascension Multiplayer Beta?

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

mikeyvittelli said:

August 14th, 12:57 pm

Im sooooo excited!!

onslaughtree said:

August 14th, 1:00 pm

This is a very interesting title. I loved me some LBP, but this looks liks some reall good combinations of touch controls and platforming. I hope the price is righ, I’m very interested with this one.

D-Squad3 said:

August 14th, 1:01 pm

I’m already sold on this title but I’m just a bit let down that you guys aren’t working on a PS3 title/ :(

freshprincepbg said:

August 14th, 1:01 pm

I think I need to buy a vita.

jonboi24 said:

August 14th, 1:05 pm

Oh Media Molecule, I seriously don’t know how ya’ll brain works but you guys are just mad geniuses.

polo155 said:

August 14th, 1:06 pm

i want this on my vita

CatatonicAlex said:

August 14th, 1:07 pm

I think this is sort of a ‘filler project’ for them. Their next BIG thing is obviously going to be a ps3/4 game.
I’m not saying that this game won’t be any good, or that I’m not buying it- because I am and it will be.

#2
If it’s a full length game it will cost $39.99. You cannot expect anything less from a Triple-A studio.

SalMoriarty said:

August 14th, 1:08 pm

Media Molecule is the only company keeping the Vita alive.

mcx said:

August 14th, 1:09 pm

Looks like we are gonna need a bigger memory card. :D

Berae said:

August 14th, 1:09 pm

I was not sure at first and then with the trailer it looked fantastic. Unfortunetly, Im not a portable gaming system fan So Ill wait for PS3 version ;)

Satnamji said:

August 14th, 1:13 pm

I don’t own a Vita, and never had any interest in a handheld gaming device, but this game really makes me rethink that.

jimfear said:

August 14th, 1:13 pm

looklike another “childish” game. Look great but i’ll pass. LBP was too “childish” for me.

Elvick_ said:

August 14th, 1:18 pm

@10: Enjoy waiting forever. See you a week from never.

The design of the game wouldn’t even work on the PS3.

Elvick_ said:

August 14th, 1:18 pm

Anyhoo, game looks incredible.

@12: the only childish thing here is your attitude. What are you early teens? God I hope so, because there’s no reason an adult shouldn’t be passed that frame of mind already.

Surfaced said:

August 14th, 1:24 pm

It’s… goddamn brilliant. Typical MediaMolecule.

Scavengre said:

August 14th, 1:25 pm

The trailer made me smile several times, the game should do it many many more times. SOLD

Airwalkinman17 said:

August 14th, 1:28 pm

Day one purchase!!!
I’ve seen enought to know that I’ll be buying this for sure.
Just gimme a release date so that I can run to the store to preorder
*whips out check book

Bcrazyman said:

August 14th, 1:31 pm

HEY GREAT PICS! I REALLY LOVE IT! CANT WAIT 4 THIS GAME! ANTHOER GAME FOR MY VITA!

Bcrazyman said:

August 14th, 1:31 pm

HEY ANY WORD ON A RELEASE DATE OR PRICE? NEED TO KNOW THANKS!

jimmyfoxhound said:

August 14th, 1:32 pm

Very very cool looking! Lots of great ideas there! Can’t wait to see more!!

deltakong said:

August 14th, 1:35 pm

best looking game from gamescom! can not wait

Robbie_G_lrish said:

August 14th, 1:36 pm

It looks incredibly innovative and has a great art style. I’m curious if there will be a “public” mode or something so everyone’s not yelling at their Vitas on the bus.

MarinoBrea said:

August 14th, 1:40 pm

WOW THEY MADE FUN INTO A GAME!

NauseousPenguin said:

August 14th, 1:43 pm

Until now, I was getting tired of not having Vita games to play, but this looks really promising! I think this is just the kind of game the Vita needs to really take off!

phzzt said:

August 14th, 1:46 pm

Too cool. Love the art style. You can tell this is from Media Molecule. Poor Alex was getting choked up on stage. Looks like you guys have worked very hard on this.

BlueBl1zzard said:

August 14th, 2:01 pm

And what was this about Playstation not showing the Vita any love? There were more vita announcements today than I could handle with hopefully more coming soon.

Anyway, this game looks really…interesting. But it’s from media molecule so I know they won’t disappoint.
It would be kinda cool if you could take pictures of paper sculptures or origami and scan them into the game. I make a mean paper crane! lol

Neil said:

August 14th, 2:03 pm

I love inventive new IP’s

Squiggle55 said:

August 14th, 2:09 pm

You guys rock.

ken_kimura said:

August 14th, 2:13 pm

The game looks brilliant. Also, kudos to whoever is picking the songs you guys use in the trailers. LBP has a fantastic soundtrack so I look forward “hearing” more about tearaway.

Type-F- said:

August 14th, 2:13 pm

This game seems to bring out the child in me :D

GreyLynx said:

August 14th, 2:33 pm

@SalM …..you forget about games like the Souls game that inafune’s working on and Gravity Rush/Daze?

JeffsonP_US said:

August 14th, 2:39 pm

Simply amazing! Can’t wait to play this! Can I pre-order already? =)

Psikorps said:

August 14th, 2:40 pm

Gee, thanks Media Molecule.

I let my son watch the video, guess what…you guys just cost me more money, now I HAVE TO buy a copy or I’ll never hear the end of it.

Combining, fun, simplistic looking gameplay into a cute world…how could you.

Now my lil guy is going on and on about how he can roar into the mic on his Vita to make the little guy roar to blow away the bad guys and how he can use his fingers to swat them away and stuff, you guys just dont know when to quit.

Come on seriously…you even added great music…

I cant win, I should just keep my wallet open and let you guys dip into it whenever ya feel the need to do so…

Signed, Broke Parent & Happy Gamer.
PS: I woulda bought a copy even if he was not interested (as if there was a chance of that). :P

Korbei83 said:

August 14th, 2:44 pm

Not interested in blowing on, or yelling at my game hardware.

DANGAZN said:

August 14th, 2:49 pm

Stealing Sheep getting some mad love. I approve. Definitely picking this up.

CatatonicAlex said:

August 14th, 3:04 pm

If by childish you mean creative and innovative then yes, this game is very childish.

I don’t mind the blowing as much as the yelling. I’m a very meek individual so I hope you provide us a walk-a-round.

EmperorKorea said:

August 14th, 3:07 pm

Is this a full retail game? Also, release date?

lisatsunami said:

August 14th, 3:07 pm

Unique gaming experience. I will buy this.

As for the many people who whine about “new games, not ports” for Vita, here’s one so buy it.

seph1r0th00 said:

August 14th, 3:08 pm

This looks just as fun and original as LBP did when it first arrived on the scene. MM, you are all incredible! This is a must have on Vita! I can’t wait!

GameKing92 said:

August 14th, 3:25 pm

Should have been made for the PS3 as well. The PS3 can handle any type of game as long as the Dualshock is around. Anyway, MediaMolecule, Good luck with the release. I’m just not that much of a portable gamer to buy a PS Vita. Looks unique, but I’ll stick with PS3 for now. Hopefully a 3D LBP 3 will come out in the future ; )

MLGM said:

August 14th, 3:25 pm

This game looks fun. I got my vita and was a little board with it at first disappointed they didn’t use all the fun features this game looks like it will take things to the next level. I’m a big LBP fan MM has some very creative stuff and this is something I would expect from them excellent.

TheTwelve said:

August 14th, 3:31 pm

Consider this bought. — 12

jackwhitefoot said:

August 14th, 4:38 pm

Now I want a PS Vita more. Consider it eventually bought.

AgentX said:

August 14th, 5:21 pm

Very impressive! The game looks great, and seems to be appropriately suited to the hardware as well.

Media Molecule is surely one of the brightest gems in Sony’s crown. Keep up the good work!

RuinRone said:

August 14th, 5:33 pm

Awesome trailer! Pre-order without a doubt.

But, just 1 question…what is that song? It is absolutely perfect for your game and the trailer (of course, that’s just how you guys roll).

Thanks!

D-Squad3 said:

August 14th, 5:54 pm

Release Date?

freshprincepbg said:

August 14th, 6:14 pm

Is Play Create Share apart of this game?

Siobhan Reddy's Avatar

James Spafford said:

August 17th, 5:33 am

Tearaway focusses on playing, rather than creating, but there will be lots of room to be creative with personalisation, customisation, etc. Also, if you take the plunge you’ll find that everything in the game can be made from bits of paper in the real world :)

We’ve given out plans to make the papercraft Elk from the trailer if you’re up for some arts and crafts : http://tearaway.mediamolecule.com/

djml9 said:

August 14th, 6:30 pm

ok, i think mm has a portal to the world of small, adorable, human shaped characters cuz they keep whippin em out. and can anyone else forsee some lbp dlc, lol. imma have to get this, mm has never let me down.

remanutd5 said:

August 14th, 7:30 pm

MM have to be one of the most creative studios i have ever seen in gaming, very smart decision sony made when they added them to the playstation family, people were complaining that sony doesnt let its big studios develop games for handheld systems, well there you have it guys, MM and GG are developing Tearaway and Killzone Mercenary. consider 2 copies of Tearaway bought day 1 MM. i cant freaking wait to see how you guys are gonna take advantage of Near, is Tearaway supporting Play, Create, Share?

Keysersoze10033 said:

August 14th, 7:56 pm

Wow, that was amazing. 1st day buy.

PAGE 1 2