PlayStation VR

Sep 06

Sep 06

Pull Shapes: Sound Shapes Community Picks

Mathew Kumar's Avatar Posted by Sound Shapes Team

Hey everyone!

Sound Shapes has been out (in North America, at least) a little under a month now, and we continue to be blown away by the response the game has been getting. If you’ve been following our official Sound Shapes twitter (and we hope you have!) you’ve probably been kept up-to-date with our news, but just last week we hit over ten thousand levels in our community (if you’re interested, our ten-thousandth level was Out of the Rain by sunpsyche.)

With so many levels, we’ve been working very hard behind the scenes to make sure that players are able to best find the cream of the crop. For example, not only have we been iterating our search algorithms to ensure the star tab (“Greatest Hits” on the website) is kept up-to-date with the best levels, we also try to make sure if you search you get useful results—oh, and if you missed it, you can search on the website now too! However, we would like to ensure we’re interacting with our community and not just setting up SOULESS SEARCH ROBOTS to do that job for us—so we’re going to try and regularly share with you the community levels that pique our interest. Starting… now.

Sound Shapes: AndIToFire

And I to Fire by jordanbuster

“This level sort of blew my mind a bit” said Jon [Mak], at which point I probably mumbled something like “oh, that’s nice” and went back to doing something else entirely. However, when I finally played this level it was worthy of his praise. To be honest, if you follow the Sound Shapes community you are probably already familiar with this level, so we’re not telling you anything new, but we had to spotlight it because it was the first level we saw that did things that surprised us — and, you know, we made the game. You’d think we’d know it inside out, eh?

Sound Shapes: arcadefireworks

Arcade Fireworks by Daftbomb

Here’s a darn tough level with some lovely visual stylings. If you played through our D-cade album you’ll kind of get the theme here—twists on some classic arcade games—but what really sells this one for us is the consistent art (even using a selection of different assets), clever challenges, and general fun times.

Sound Shapes: Intermission

Intermission by Zoetroupe

This is a nice short level—an intermission, if we will—that mixes things up by not twisting video games but cinema! It’s musically lovely and genuinely artistic visually, and will leave you wanting more (always a good thing.)

Sound Shapes: Metamorphosis

Metamorphose by Tabulator_AT

This level is beautiful but also deserves praise for using one of our creatures in a way that we didn’t expect. It would say too much to pick out which one, but levels which challenge our established view of the game are always winners.

Sound Shapes: Quick Dinosaurs

Quick, Dinosaurs! by TheAvengedMarin

Strong themes are always good! This level is an adventure across a dinosaur-filled landscape with a cute ending, with well thought out challenges and lots of cute dinosaurs to spot (we remain impressed at to what you’re all able to squeeze out of our ground shapes!) — it’s well worth a play.

That’s only a very small selection of the levels we’ve been playing—we really do try and play as many as we can manage—and so we do hope to be back soon to share more levels with you (the quality only gets better and better, so we’re sure that there are already new levels that you think we’re foolish to not have included.)

Don’t forget that you can queue up any of these levels to play in Sound Shapes from the website. Simply log in to the site with your PSN ID, hit queue on the level that takes your fancy, and when you load up the community (on PS3 or PS Vita) you can find them in your “favorites” on your profile (once you’ve played through them once, if you don’t choose to favorite them, they’ll be removed from that list.)

Oh! And don’t think we’re just spending all our time playing your levels (as much as we want to.) We’re working hard on getting the first DLC out to you as soon as possible (giving you more to work with!) — we’ll be able to talk about that soon. Happy creating!

Add Your Own

islankleinknecht said:

September 6th, 9:07 am

Is there any way we can get the ability to download levels and store them locally? I love Sound Shapes, but it’s useless on my Vita when it doesn’t have WiFi.

Xcaligamer1 said:

September 6th, 9:13 am

time out time out time out…. DLC!? this game is already addictive enough when i play lol. made 10 levels so far, some fairly quick though I saw someone took like 8min to complete a stage lol

jdbloom said:

September 6th, 9:14 am

Thanks for this! Queued them up!

Link01 said:

September 6th, 9:21 am

Already Platted :3.. but yea. You guys should take advantage of your popularity and release some DLC. That would make my week! Also, any news on the patch to fix the PS3’s sych issues (you know… because it tries to log into PSN when you’re already logged in).

Mathew Kumar's Avatar

Zach Wood said:

September 7th, 12:56 pm

We’re releasing a patch today that fixes the PS3 sync issue

GranpireV said:

September 6th, 9:31 am

I second the first comment. One of my favorite features of the LBP Vita beta was the ability to download levels for offline play, and it’s an essential feature for a portable game.

Figboy said:

September 6th, 9:40 am

I second that request. I play it a lot on the bus, but I don’t have 3G at the moment (I’ll renew my plan eventually), so I can’t access any of the use levels on the bus. I’d love to be able to queue up my favorites and download them to my system, then fire them up on the bus ride home from work.

PRIMUS_420 said:

September 6th, 10:01 am

Got this platinum BEECHES

Neil said:

September 6th, 10:12 am

Great levels! There are a ton of other awesome ones too. Also, try out mine when you get a chance:

Mathew Kumar's Avatar

Zach Wood said:

September 7th, 12:55 pm

Nice! Really like the music.

CatatonicAlex said:

September 6th, 10:24 am

It’s impossible to fine quality levels in this game. Everything gets buried under the garbage levels.
Also, sometimes the “backtouch” stops responding when using the creator and requires a COMPLETE system reboot.
Glad DLC is coming to this game.

Mathew Kumar's Avatar

Zach Wood said:

September 7th, 12:46 pm

You can find the best levels in the community section of the game (STAR icon) and on the website, by selecting the “Greatest Hits” option.

When browsing on the website, you can queue any of the levels for play on your console by logging into PSN and clicking “queue”. They will appear in your “favorites” list in your community profile.

bldudas said:

September 6th, 10:25 am

I really love this game.
Like others said, I would like the ability to play user created levels offline for I can play them when I don’t have wireless access.

Astro411 said:

September 6th, 11:31 am

Thanks for creating a great game for us.
I’m really glad to hear about the DLC.

The only thing I need is a way of transferring levels in progress between the Vita and the PS3.

Mathew Kumar's Avatar

Zach Wood said:

September 7th, 12:57 pm

For now, you can transfer levels you’re working on by publishing on one console, then unpublishing on the other to continue working it.

actio1_618 said:

September 6th, 2:45 pm

^This.

TonyTough said:

September 6th, 2:53 pm

Thanks for a great game Queasy.
Though i was hoping you had seen my level called:
“The Egg and the Beanstalk”

Also, I hope in the future you have a way to sort your community levels by Love/Play Ratio.
To me, that tells you which levels are loved most based on number of plays.

Can’t wait to see your downloadable content.

PSN : TonyTough

Mathew Kumar's Avatar

Zach Wood said:

September 7th, 1:16 pm

Wow. Very creative! Great music too. Well done!

derekg said:

September 6th, 3:26 pm

Can we have user created files offline please?

BrianC6234 said:

September 6th, 3:42 pm

What’s the Twitter account mentioned in this article? You should add it for everyone who hasn’t heard of it.

Darren_ said:

September 6th, 5:23 pm

Hope the DLC isn’t too expensive, this game already went over the usual for most indie games, although it has been worth it thus far. I’m not sure I’d pay more than 99c for a couple notes or something, I think you’d need a new album for about 1 or 2 euro max, with all the graphics and notes available and deathmodes.

DarthDanMan said:

September 6th, 5:34 pm

@#15
@SoundShapes on Twitter. Kind of obvious actually.

Bcrazyman said:

September 6th, 6:39 pm

THIS GAME IS AWSOME! I LOVE PLAYING THIS ITS VERY GOOD TO PLAY!

rarobbiey said:

September 6th, 7:01 pm

I just wanted to say a big thank you to Queasy Games for Sound Shapes.

I have been playing video games for 25 years now and it’s games like Sound Shapes that keep me interested. It’s just a shame that the games that sell a system like the vita are not really measured by the quality and uniqueness that they bring, because its games like this that really justify the reason i bought a Vita.

And I’ll even forgive you guys for using the music of deadmau5 in this game. Would be good to see some more underground electronic music artists supply some sounds for some future DLC as opposed to the mainstream tripe that is deamau5.

Otherwise keep up the good work. And its not often i say this in a game but i look forward to the DLC thats coming our way.

GhostMachine1 said:

September 6th, 7:41 pm

Cannot wait to play these levels tomorrow. Local saves would be flipping awesome!

Berae said:

September 7th, 7:43 am

The game was excellent!

psyco-wolf said:

September 12th, 5:55 am

this game is keeping me occupied until sept. 18.

sniffin_pony said:

September 13th, 5:28 pm

DLC for this game would be great and i would love it if you could download levels like little big planet or if u could save in the middle of a level please check out my levels i have note challenges and a 10 screen sprint psn: sniffin_pony