Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

Oct 15

Oct 15

Arkedo Series: Three Games in One Bless Your PS3 Tomorrow

Yan Marchal's Avatar Posted by Manager, Sanuk Games

Arkedo Series for PS3

I’m happy to announce the release of Arkedo Series on the PlayStation Store for PS3 tomorrow, October 16th! Arkedo Series is a collection of three tightly crafted arcade games that will douse your console in a colorful world and challenge you with some serious old-school action!

Arkedo Series for PS3 - Jump

First comes “JUMP!”, a platformer where your 8-bit hero must collect bombs before they blow up, while avoiding nasty little bats, 2-way powered crabs, sharp stalactites, spikes from hell, and a bunch of other oddities. The game is so truthful to the old-school experience that it has no ‘continue’: once you’ve lost all your lives, you have to start it all over again – but in a good mood!

Arkedo Series for PS3 - Swap

Then comes “SWAP!”, a Match-4 game where you must clear blocks before they reach the top of the screen. Combos, bonus blocks, power blocks and time freezers will help you escape critical situations and dominate the five worlds contained in the game. And once you think you’re done, you’ll find out that there are still a number of things waiting for you in Challenge mode!

Arkedo Series for PS3 - Pixel

Last but not least comes “PIXEL!”, the platformer that will have you finally understand why you bought such an expensive HDTV: the halo surrounding big fat pixels had never looked so good! You direct Pix the Cat (a character that also appears in the critically acclaimed PIX’N LOVE RUSH, available as a PlayStation Mini) through his nocturnal adventure in a pixilated world.

The Arkedo Series for PS3 will be available on October 16th as one package of three games for only $5.99. We hope you’ll enjoy it!

Add Your Own

snakeeyes211 said:

October 15th, 10:04 am

Is there trophies in the game

October 15th, 6:25 pm

Yes, there are!

G-Force08 said:

October 15th, 10:04 am

Looks good. I might check it out, especially at that price.

I love playing PIX’N LOVE RUSH on my Vita. Any hope that the Arkedo series will find its way to the Vita eventually?

October 15th, 6:29 pm

Thanks for your comment!

We have no plan at this time for a PS Vita version but, as there appears to be quite a few people interested, we may think about it if the PS3 version is successful enough! Please note that it does not only depend on me though, therefore I can’t make any commitment right now.

KwietStorm said:

October 15th, 10:09 am

Damn trophies have ruined the hive gamer mind

DuoMaxwell007 said:

October 15th, 10:15 am

I must say HD + 8bit = bad

HD lets all the flaws in * bit much easier to see…. I mean I dont recall the original super mario bros on nintendo looking as bad as jump does (though Im sure if i played it on an HD tv it would look equally bad)

SAB-CA said:

October 15th, 10:31 am

I wish these would also be cross-play with Vita, as I’d love to have them on it:)

But otherwise, great to see the series coming out here, especially for such a nice price. I already own and enjoy SWAP, but this’ll be a perfect time to have the other 2 accessable… (just wish 04 would release sometime, haha).

October 15th, 6:31 pm

Thanks for your comment! See my reply to 2 above regarding PS Vita.

islankleinknecht said:

October 15th, 11:05 am

Ooh, I think I dig this.

ModeSelektor said:

October 15th, 12:03 pm

Vita ?????

October 15th, 6:31 pm

Please see above :).

Gorvi said:

October 15th, 12:36 pm

To echo other commenters, these really would have been more appropriate on Vita. Hopefully we’ll see them come to Vita soon.

October 15th, 6:33 pm

See above :).

Elvick_ said:

October 15th, 12:41 pm

@1: Yes.

@4: Opinion, and SMB would look worse. It’s an SD game that would be on an HD display. Where as Jump is actually HD. Nevermind the backgrounds and other details in Jump being better.

I would love the games on Vita, but given the issues just getting the games out in NA I won’t hold my breath.

October 15th, 6:39 pm

Thoroughly! It might not be obvious in the screenshot, but Jump does actually make use of the high definition to display its fat pixels a certain way. Whether it looks good or not, of course, is for everybody to see for themselves.

Elvick_ said:

October 15th, 12:43 pm

FYI: The games came out ages ago on XBLIG. Ported to PS3 ages ago and released in Europe separately. With trophies.

Be happy we actually got the games in NA.

vanwinkle said:

October 15th, 12:56 pm

Will definitely be buying this. And I HATE to be this guy, but this would be absolutely fantastic on Vita. Please consider it.

October 15th, 6:39 pm

Thanks for your comment! See above :).

gilgamesh21 said:

October 15th, 3:39 pm

YES!!! Thank you Yan Marchal, thank you Sanuk Games, thank you Arkedo, and thank you SCEA! I’ve been looking forward to these fun little gems! I can’t believe how great October has been for PSN!

camiwaits_us said:

October 15th, 4:16 pm

This looks pretty cool. I’ll be buying it for PS3, but share the desire of playing it on my Vita.

October 15th, 6:41 pm

Thanks! See above :).

lisatsunami said:

October 15th, 4:22 pm

@3, QuietStorm: well, I’ve become a bit of a trophy ‘ho myself, but your comment is funny. “Hive gamer mind”
You are right, of course.

tranquility101 said:

October 15th, 5:31 pm

@4: That’s definitely a matter of opinion. I absolutely love 8-bit and 16-bit games, particularly on a 46″ HD TV. Then again, I was raised on Atari and have always had an appreciate for pixel art. To each their own. :)

Retro City Rampage, another game released recently on PSN that has 8-bit-era graphics, even lets you emulate old Commodore and DOS EGA/VGA video blitters. :) I freaked out when I saw that.

That being said, “Pixel” looks like the coolest of the three mentioned in the article. Don’t think I’ll be picking this one up unless I read some favorable reviews or see some interesting gameplay vids. *goes back to playing stressful Dishonored* :P

October 15th, 6:50 pm

There’s already quite a few favorable reviews and gameplay vids around! Google “arkedo pixel review”, for example, and see for yourself. Cheers!

Ryumoau said:

October 15th, 5:49 pm

i’m only interested in the puzzle game. wish i could get it seperatly for $2.

October 15th, 6:59 pm

We had to release the 3 games in one package. We tried to keep the price as low as we could. Hopefully $5.99 is reasonable even if there’s only one game you really fancy – you may end up finding yourself enjoying the 2 other games too! :)

DuoMaxwell007 said:

October 15th, 5:55 pm

@9 yeah the background looks fine so does the foreground, but the crab, man, bombs, spike and coins look barf worthy lol

whereas Pixel and Swap on the other hand look fine all around

October 15th, 6:45 pm

Thanks! I must admit Jump looks a little bit more quirky, but hopefully some will like it that way!

devilmosh said:

October 15th, 6:05 pm

The trailer on Youtube says it has trophies, for those asking.

Bastions said:

October 15th, 6:10 pm

This and most other PSN games should be playable on Vita. They would just fit better. Sony, why are not all PSN cames cross-play or cross-buy?

Joeltron3030 said:

October 15th, 6:23 pm

So getting these! Ive been asking about them on the blog. I guess this is why my queries went unanswered…it was in the works!

People stop asking developers to port games you can already play on your ps3. Its not as easy to port as you think (Rainbow Moon is taking like 9 months), and that`s time developers could use to make new exclusive Vita games, which is what the system needs :)

October 15th, 6:43 pm

Thanks for your comment!

Ryumoau said:

October 15th, 7:24 pm

@20 i agree. i rather have new Vita exclusive games than just ps3 ported games.

GhostMachine1 said:

October 15th, 7:34 pm

These sound like fantastic inexpensive fun. I want it now!

PrimeroIncognito said:

October 15th, 8:26 pm

Looks good. I’ll probably buy. Building up towards that $100…

ElektroDragon said:

October 15th, 8:32 pm

THANK YOU for bring this awesome series to PSN with Trophies, instead of letting it wallow ignoroed in the Indie Games marketplace over on that OTHER console. Buying this ASAP!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE SWAP! Especially!

ElektroDragon said:

October 15th, 8:35 pm

Also, SWAP on Vita with touch controls would be INSANE!!!! :)

October 15th, 10:06 pm

Thanks! If a touch version of Swap is to happen, we would have to change the difficulty settings, or it would become INSANE… LY easy :-).

Davyn729 said:

October 15th, 10:09 pm

Just thought I’d chime in to further bring home the point, I would absolutely love to see these on Vita. :) Or at the very least PIXEL! It’d be a day one buy from me for certain. These are the kinds of games I’d rather play on the go than on my PS3.

plaztiksyke said:

October 15th, 10:36 pm

I’ve been waiting for this to release in North America for some time. I love Pix’n Love Rush on iPhone, and did a backflip when it came out as a mini I could play with physical controls (despite looking worse on mini).

Here’s another vote for a Vita native version :)

Again, Thanks so much for finally brining this to North American PS3s!

davionwalker22 said:

October 15th, 11:07 pm

dont take long to update the psn Tomorrow

Criscross87v3 said:

October 16th, 5:59 am

If Pixel is anything like the PS Mini, that’s worth the price of admission right there for me.

October 16th, 8:41 pm

Thanks for your comment! Pix’n Love Rush on PlayStation Minis is an arcade jump’n run game, whereas Pixel is a more traditional platform adventure. Although they share the same character, they’re not quite the same game. But then who would want to buy twice the same game anyway? :)

Macello said:

October 16th, 10:28 am

I feel bad for the dev with people piling on Vita comments but I don’t own a PS3 so… Vita??? ;)

Dessron said:

October 16th, 1:16 pm

I’ve been waiting for these games ever since I’ve seen them on the Euro store. I hope they’ll have the same trophies lists (around 12 trophies for each game) as the European version.

October 16th, 8:32 pm

Unfortunately no. This package is technically considered as one game – as opposed to the European release where each game was sold separately. There’s a limit to how many trophies one game can have, therefore we were not able to cram as many trophies here as into the Euro release.

On the bright side, the whole collection sells for cheaper as one package in America than as 3 separate games in Europe. Hopefully this will make up for that!

Ecks said:

October 16th, 6:15 pm

I picked this up today, and the games are fun, but wondering why we got a different trophy list than Europe? 14 trophies total (4 for JUMP!, 5 for SWAP! and 5 for PIXEL!) instead of 9 for JUMP!, 12 for SWAP! and 12 for PIXEL! like Europe got. Not a dealbreaker, but confusing.

October 16th, 8:33 pm

See my reply to the above comment. Cheers!