PlayStation VR

Dec 04

Dec 04

Sound Shapes: New Composing Tools DLC Out Today

Mark Rabo's Avatar Posted by Sound Shapes Team

Hey Sound Shapers, we’re really excited to announce our first wave of DLC: four new packs are coming your way – three Sound Packs and a Curved Terrain Pack. The Sound Packs each include five new instruments, five brand new Beat School levels, and for you Trophy hunters, five new Trophies!

The Sound Packs are $0.99 each, and the Curved Terrain Pack is free. You’ll find everything in our new in-game Sound Shapes Music Shop today. (You can also grab them on PSN, as usual.)

Here’s a short trailer with a track we put together using some of the new sounds. And remember, if you create something you’re digging, tell us on Twitter, Facebook, or Tumblr – we love playing your levels.

Oh, and one (ok, a few) more things… So the community has created over 15,000 levels (!) and we’ve been noting our favorites since launch. But how to share them? We have an idea! Coming in December is the Community Milkcrate – the best user-created content in Sound Shapes gathered and organized into themed albums, so you can find the levels that match your mood or play style. Chill, amped, long, short, tough as nails, and on and on. As part of the Milkcrate, we’ve been chatting with some rad musicians and game industry folks, and they’ll also be putting together collections of their favorites for you (their stuff coming in 2013). The new year will also bring a new vehicle DLC pack but before the big ‘13 we have a little holiday present from everyone here at Queasy — stay tuned!

The DLC Details

Acoustic Sound Pack ($0.99)

Bring some clean analog tones to your game with five new acoustic instruments. Strum and pick a masterpiece with the guitars, dance across the ivories on the piano or thumb the unique sounds of the kalimba.

Drum Kits Sound Pack ($0.99)

This pack is all about rhythm. Snares, hi-hats, toms, and more let you groove to everything from a cool jazz backdrop to a driving rock beat. There’s even an electronic kit for some 80’s hip-hop style jams if that’s more your style.

8-Bit Sound Pack ($0.99)

Compose in the key of chiptune with bleeps, bloops, and other classic game sounds. It’s more than just chiptunes as you’ll get modern electronic synths, bass lines, and loops too. A variety packed pack for sure!

Curved Terrain Pack (free download)

This one’s for the platforming fans out there. Bend, stretch and shape curves to add smooth surfaces to your smooth beats. Many of you have been waiting for this, and it’s free today. (It’s also key for some future DLC, but we’ll keep that a surprise for now.)

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Benzitor said:

December 4th, 10:05 am

Can you just release new solo DLC ??? I mean bringing new Album based DLC, like to increase solo play would be amazing. Sony music could provide the license of know bands, or musicians… I would love to see EP DLC for this amazing game… 4/5 tracks of nw artists, with new universes…

MyrequeArk said:

December 4th, 10:06 am

So… That’s 15 new trophies to boot (5 per sound pack) or 5 trophies total?

December 4th, 10:42 am

Each pack has 5 Beat School levels and Trophies – for a total of 15!

DZORMAGEN said:

December 4th, 10:06 am

Will buy all 3!!! :)

MyrequeArk said:

December 4th, 10:07 am

Also, is this DLC Cross-Buy?

December 4th, 10:52 am

Yeah, buy it on one system and you get both.

Elvick_ said:

December 4th, 10:10 am

Nice pricing.

QuantumMercury said:

December 4th, 10:11 am

I would also like to know if it’s 5 trophies per pack and if it will be cross buy!

December 4th, 10:53 am

Yup, 5 trophies per pack and it’s Cross Buy.

Old_PopTarts said:

December 4th, 10:12 am

Whoohoo! !\(^o^)/ I cannot wait!?!

x-Kicks-x said:

December 4th, 10:13 am

Looking forward to playing this gem again :-)

SpooNManX said:

December 4th, 10:19 am

I loved he single player mode and Beat School was decent, but Death Mode made me never want to play it again unfortunately. So much frustration and luck involved was a bad idea.

December 4th, 10:55 am

Death Mode isn’t for everyone (I didn’t even come close to finishing it). Take a break and when you’re ready check out some of the Community levels, there’s some great stuff that’s up there in caliber with the Campaign. Greatest Hits is a good place to start.

JJfutbol said:

December 4th, 10:25 am

Great idea on the Milkcrate by the way! I’d rather play from a curated set than spend a lot of time finding something. Can we expect more DLC including new albums/levels designed by the development team?

December 4th, 10:56 am

Yeah, you can expect DLC like that in 2013.

BipolarBeers said:

December 4th, 10:26 am

i secound what benzitor said. looking forward to this dlc and everything else thats in store for soundshapes in 2k13.

Ryumoau said:

December 4th, 10:26 am

i found this game incredibly boring. But thankfully i only spent $11 on it, so it wasn’t too painful to my wallet.

kivi95 said:

December 4th, 10:29 am

Yeah I want some new new Album based DLC aswell :/

GhostMachine1 said:

December 4th, 10:32 am

Please release new levels as dlc. I will buy that in a heartbeat.

Xcaligamer1 said:

December 4th, 10:33 am

yes yes yes woohoo, back to making levels/music

GranpireV said:

December 4th, 10:48 am

Will we ever see an offline download feature? That needs to happen….

December 4th, 10:56 am

We agree, that needs to happen :)

Betorro said:

December 4th, 10:48 am

I want some new LEVELS as DLC, no new Composing Tools.

new LEVELS
new LEVELS
new LEVELS
new LEVELS
new LEVELS

;D

mtk93 said:

December 4th, 10:52 am

I’d love to see some new Death-Mode levels as DLC. Any chance of that ever happening?

December 4th, 10:57 am

A glutton for punishment you are!

December 4th, 1:40 pm

One of our top Community guys Daftbomb just started a thing called HCL, HardCore Level. It’s like Death Mode but without the randomness – crazy hard stuff. Go to the Community and search “HCL” (his other work is worth checking out too)

MyrequeArk said:

December 4th, 11:01 am

Thank you Mark (Can I call you Mark or would you prefer to be adressed as Mr. Rabo?) for clearing out my doubts, love the game btw, bought it on Day One and got the Platinum on Day One too :D

December 4th, 2:03 pm

Mark’s definitely ok. Love to hear that, I kinda can’t believe you got that Platinum on day 1 (probably didn’t get any sleep though)

Conaaando said:

December 4th, 11:04 am

8-Bit Sound Pack
8-Bit Sound Pack
8-Bit Sound Pack
8-Bit Sound Pack
8-Bit Sound Pack

\o/

Conaaando said:

December 4th, 11:08 am

Please, developers: do implement some kind of social integration or export feature. I’d love to use it to compose a game music, export, say, as MP3 and use it outside of the game. Or post it on Facebook / YouTube or something. Please! o/

December 4th, 2:05 pm

For sharing on social media, we’re thinking about it but that’s a tough one to do well, stay tuned but don’t hold your breath. For MP3 export, that requires all kinds of additional crazy licensing that might not be possible. Again, sayed tuned but don’t hold your breath.

Juelz345 said:

December 4th, 11:09 am

@sppoonmanx #9

I couldn’t disagree more. I actually though the game was just OK until I unlocked death mode. I though the main game was WAYYYY too easy and provided just about no challenge. The music was cool, but that wasn’t enough for me to recommend the game. Once I unlocked death mode, I couldn’t stop talking about the game and recommending it friends, especially friends with Vitas. Without death mode I would have been very disappointed in the game and the platinum just wouldn’t have been rewarding. To each his own, but, I think it was great idea and made the game a must have.

Juelz345 said:

December 4th, 11:10 am

@18

Yes pls! That I would pay for in a heartbeat!

ChaseHammerJ said:

December 4th, 11:39 am

I bought Sound Shapes on release day because of the hype, I really wish I could get my money back because its really disappointed in the game. I tried to get into it playing different albums and friend challenges, its just not what I expected in gameplay. The difficulty of avoiding enemies at times is WAY too high. Ill pass on everything about this game.

Squiggle55 said:

December 4th, 11:44 am

I love this game. Thanks for continuing to support it and for the great price of this DLC. Like others have said, I would also likely buy any level packs you release if you decided to team up with a musician again and make more high quality solo campaign levels.

And I don’t want to think about how frustrating death mode was. I had to get the platinum but that was grueling.

CERBERE77 said:

December 4th, 11:44 am

Would be nice if you could add more scales than the 4 available in the editor. Maybe manual editing of the scale? I will probably pick-up the acoustic pack. Been long since I touched the editor. Somehow I miss it :)

QuantumMercury said:

December 4th, 11:47 am

@Mark Rabo

15 trophies for that price is a 100% buy :) Too bad other devs don’t see the value of adding trophies sometimes.

vanwinkle said:

December 4th, 11:48 am

Milkcrate sounds like a perfect idea. I don’t create levels, so this DLC isn’t for me, but I will be able to reap the benefits by playing great levels with this stuff from the creators out there!

What I would REALLY like is some new campaign albums. Hopefully that is coming soon.

December 4th, 12:18 pm

There’s a ton of stuff in the Community that’s mind-blowing. It can be hard to find sometimes, that’s what the Milkcrate will take care of. We think you’ll dig it.

JonJonXD said:

December 4th, 12:36 pm

you already have my money.

seriously, sound shapes was absolutely brilliant on the vita.

I’m so happy there is more official content for it.

IIL0YDII said:

December 4th, 12:51 pm

could you please add ability to download user generated levels?like little big planet?

December 4th, 2:00 pm

It’s something we’re jamming on.

Rainwater said:

December 4th, 1:00 pm

Is there any chance we could see a Sound Shapes digital soundtrack on iTunes/Amazon/Google Play? I want to hear these songs without my poor platforming skills messing up the beat :)

AizawaYuuichi said:

December 4th, 1:43 pm

I really enjoyed this game. The normal campaign was awesome, the Death Modes were challenging but doable with (a lot of) practice… but my favorite part was the Beat School levels. As these DLC packs add 15 new BS levels (bad pun?), I’ll definitely be picking them up. Loved working those out with headphones on. Thanks for the new content! :D

December 4th, 2:01 pm

I love hearing/seeing those beats come together too.

Dubloon7 said:

December 4th, 2:53 pm

i would love to see a FREE/better deal for this game for PSN Plus members. been waiting on the wagon to grab this, but is it me or is Sony just waiting closer toward xmas to start giving vita owners decent deals on games? This current week is lackluster for sure, but if i had sound shapes i’d snag this update instantly.

Kaddyshacks said:

December 4th, 3:13 pm

Fingers crossed for more level albums in the future!

PainOfSarrow said:

December 4th, 3:43 pm

Let me just put it like thisss. im a Hardcore Gamer that is onlyy into God Of War And the grand theft auto and Shank type of games. after watching some gameplay online i went ahead and got this game. some of the best gaming experience i ever hade and one of my top 5 psn games out of my 70 psn games. loveddd the music and the beats and instruments was muchhh better then i expected, im only into hip-hop and alot of the beats in here sound pretty damn tight and hard at times. i enjoy the amazing levels and community levels aswell. Cities was Amazing. this game was made perfectly. A+ from me

December 5th, 7:13 am

Thanks man! It means a lot to hear that from the hardcore gamers.

tusunami said:

December 4th, 3:54 pm

Sounds & shapes is just awesome for PS Vita, such a enjoyable experience looking forward to this yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

plaztiksyke said:

December 4th, 4:27 pm

I’m an indie artist and would love to publish levels inspired by our songs that use our samples. (I own all my publishing and copyrights.) Who can we contact to get the ball rolling on this?

My released tracks (another one on the way for Xmas, as well):

December 5th, 7:15 am

The game’s not setup to import samples but if you create a “cover” of one of your songs with the sounds already there, let us know.

plaztiksyke said:

December 4th, 4:31 pm

PS: Love the fact there’s DLC with new Beat School levels! Really looking forward to some odd time signature challenges! :)

dontwaketheKIDS said:

December 4th, 5:19 pm

Coo, love Sound Shapes. I’ve dinged DLC trophies, but they don’t sync to my profile though… maybe I’m too early and it will update later.

December 6th, 7:11 am

Should work now.

Madmartigan23 said:

December 4th, 7:40 pm

I just got all 15 trophies on my vita, but they are not counting towards my overall trophy percentage. Also synced with the PS3, and nothing. I even got a trophy on the PS3 just to see what would happen and that wouldn’t count towards my percentage either. Not cool. DO NOT BUY THIS UNTIL THEY FIX THIS ERROR!!!!!!!!!

December 6th, 7:11 am

Yup, Sony didn’t update the Master Trophy list when we launched – been fixed now.

Krysta91 said:

December 4th, 7:47 pm

@40 I posted this same issue in the comments on the ps store update blog earlier =\

Madmartigan23 said:

December 4th, 7:49 pm

I really hope they fix this. Thats 30 silver trophies!!!!!!!!!

BlaqMagiq24 said:

December 4th, 8:21 pm

YES! More sound shapes support! This is definitely one of the best games to come out this year! Will be picking this up ASAP and can’t wait to see what support it gets in 2013!

RAWBRTzx said:

December 4th, 9:47 pm

I really love this game keep bringing the content!!

marmite_mofo said:

December 5th, 2:19 am

This game is probably my favourite on the Vita so far, absolutely loved it. Finally platinum-ed it last weekend, have to say I loved the Death Modes, they were incredibly addictive :) would love some more levels and death modes, but any new content is appreciated as gives me an excuse to play it again!

adidas_ir said:

December 5th, 6:19 am

i cant syn my dlc trophy :(
why?
i got 10 dlc trophy (Acoustic Sound Pack) for ps3 and vita

adidas_ir said:

December 5th, 6:21 am

please solve this problem

December 6th, 7:13 am

The problem has been fixed (more in the reply above), your trophies should all sync fine now.

Doctor_Hank_Pym said:

December 5th, 7:45 am

My fave PSN release of 2012, hands-down — so incredibly impressed by the level of musical & design talent involved in it. Will happily be buying any DLC you put out!

Any chance of more Jim Guthrie levels down the road?

islankleinknecht said:

December 5th, 8:25 am

Do you need to buy the DLC in order to play Community Levels that use them?

December 6th, 7:13 am

Nope, you can play all the Community levels whether you bought the DLC or not.

SpooNManX said:

December 5th, 9:41 am

If I’m not mistaken I believe you said there will be new single player level DLC planned for 2013. This is very good news. I’d love to see more Beck type levels. I thought those were by far the most ingenious levels I have played in a game in a very long time and I’ve been gaming for 30 years!

It would also be cool to have some of the music from Everyday Shooter find its way into the game. :)
Maybe add trophies to ES also… :P

December 6th, 7:22 am

We really dig the Beck levels too. My personal favorites are Cities (esp. the end as it builds) and Touch the People (during the bridges, the musical ones). Check out the Community, there are some levels made by musicians right up there with the best Campaign levels. They can be hard to find but we post some of them on our Tumblr now and more in the future in the coming Community Milkcrate. Glad you’re enjoying the game.

PAGE 1 2