PlayStation VR

Dec 05

Dec 05

Persona 4 Golden is PS Vita’s Top-Rated Game

Robyn Mukai's Avatar Posted by Marketing Manager, Atlus

It goes without saying that PlayStation.Blog readers are the some of the savviest, most informed gamers out there. So it almost seems silly to tell you that since its launch on November 20th, Persona 4 Golden has held the honor of being the highest-rated PS Vita title ever according to Metacritic and Gamerankings. Are you surprised? Of course not, because you know P4G’s immersive 100+ hour adventure backwards and forwards. You know the grounded, relatable characters that are at turns emotional, then hilarious. (Trial of the Dragon, anyone?) You’re more than proficient at finding, fusing, and customizing all the best, strongest Personas to handle Kanji’s steamy bathhouse boss battle. You’ve memorized the list of upgrades and new content that have helped bring Persona 4 Golden to even greater heights of critical success than the beloved PlayStation 2 version it’s based on. We know you know all this and so have no desire to pump this blog post full of extraneous information. HOWEVER, as you may have a few less sophisticated people in your life (and let’s face it, don’t we all?), friends who may not be as familiar with the Persona series, we’ve prepared the following highlight trailer to give them a glimpse of some of the amazing experiences that are awaiting them if they’ll only smarten up and be like you! Persona 4 Golden is now available in stores exclusively for PS Vita, so be a pal and pass the news along. And hey, buy a few copies and impose your good taste on others. It’s the spirit of the season, ya know.

But enough about us! We know that plenty of you have been getting to know Persona 4 Golden over the past week. What’s your favorite quest so far? Any particular character tickling your fancy? Drop your thoughts in the comments below – we’re curious!

Add Your Own

JonJonXD said:

December 5th, 1:23 pm

this game is the reason why i bought the vita.

im up to the final dungeon right now and i must say that this game is fantastic.

thanks for bringing it over

sagohichi said:

December 5th, 1:33 pm

@50
The girl in your avatar icon is also coming to Vita. Did you know that? Are you sad? It’s also a re-make.

Elvick_ said:

December 5th, 1:34 pm

@50 So? 3DS’ best scoring game is from the N64.

MarkakaJin said:

December 5th, 1:46 pm

I was looking for something to occupy myself when I do gaming and I thought, maybe I need an RPG. I don’t care what kind of RPG it is, I just need a real good one that will keep me busy at least. Here comes Persona 3 FES, it was my first Persona game and it was also my first PS2 classic. It was good and then when I get into the game later, it sold me into the level of awesomeness. Then I got Persona 1 digital PSP version and played it on my Vita and besides the frequent monstrous random battles, the game is pretty good. I was secretly waiting for P4 Golden and when I finally got it, I went ahead and tried it out. I never really played the PS2 version, so P4 Golden is the first Persona 4 game and the extra stuff that it has is amazing! I’ll be waiting for Persona 5!

Grayfox2k8 said:

December 5th, 1:50 pm

Persona 4 Golden is truly the best game I’ve played this year. It was an honor to play this masterpiece on my PS Vita. Now I’m on my second play-though, and Persona 5 is on my must have list. Dear Atlus, my PS Vita is ready.

Grayfox2k8 said:

December 5th, 1:55 pm

play-through^

islankleinknecht said:

December 5th, 2:25 pm

Okay, I must say that this game has blown my socks off. Is there any chance for a digital release of the soundtrack(s)?

Robyn Mukai's Avatar

Robyn Mukai said:

December 5th, 2:43 pm

We don’t have any plans for a release of the soundtrack at this time

UNHOLYxNbK said:

December 5th, 2:25 pm

Best investment ive made for the vita so far! Already 25hours in and not getting tired, actully becoming addicting. Playing this more than al the ps+ games combined and I only had P4G for 4days now.

Best investment list:
-P4G
-PS+

UnholyBahamut said:

December 5th, 2:33 pm

I would like to play Persona 1, 2 and 3 but in my opinion they are kinda expensive for a PSP games (P2 is $30) could you please make a price drop for these games, or make a special bundle? I want to buy all the saga.
BTW I’ve only played P3 on PS2, should I play the other games to understand the story of P4?

Frigaku said:

December 5th, 2:41 pm

@41 The king of fighters XIII

ZERO_169 said:

December 5th, 2:45 pm

Never played a Persona game before in my life.
What other games would you compare this series to, and would you recommend playing them in order, or could i just jump right into the 4th one?

valves582 said:

December 5th, 2:46 pm

Been playing this since its launch! It is so addicting. Love being able to get a few hours of story if i’m in the mood or change things up and get a few hours of battles pretty much at any time in the game.

My BIG question is what are the chances of Persona making it into PLAYSTATION ALL-STARS?

DrThemoWorm said:

December 5th, 3:01 pm

I put 49 hours in and got the bad ending. Now I’m working through on new game+ and kicking butt! Also looking up online for how to get the “normal” ending. Then the “true” ending.

Why am I telling you guys this? BECAUSE IT’S WORTH DOING. Let me put it this way, I hardly ever beat any of the games I own as I tend to lose interest somewhere halfway at best. This game actually made me stay the whole way through and I came back wanting more. GO BUY IT! THEN BUY IT FOR YOUR FRIENDS FOR CHRISTMAS! :)

Nerroth said:

December 5th, 3:05 pm

Between P4G out for Vita, the first three PSP Persona titles on PSN (though with only one of the two versions of Persona 2 currently available in North America), and the first half of the P4 anime adaptation available on the video side of the PlayStation Store, it’s a good time to be a Persona fan on this side of the Pacific.

Now, if only Index and Arc System Works could see about doing a version of Persona 4 Arena for the PS Vita… (If ArcSys’ home-spun BlazBlue engine can run well on the device, why not P4 Arena?)

Although, while it’s good to see posts here about P4G, it would be nice to have a little more time spent on a future Blogcast to talk a bit more about the game. (On the week it was launched, the discussion seemed to be more about the ratings the game was getting than the content of the actual game itself.) I mean, if the current hosts aren’t too interested in playing the game themselves, no-one should be forcing them to; but since Jeff is no longer there to champion all things JRPG (or, at least, all things Persona), it would be nice to have at least one person in the Blogcast take up those reins.

Perhaps someone from Atlus could try to get in for an interview, or something?

halloween_cloud said:

December 5th, 3:08 pm

Love Atlus for giving those of us who own a Vita this game early on in the lifecycle and hoping they would release a 3D Got Game Heroes or Demon’s Souls for it, too. But if not, then at least I’ll be looking forward to whatever RPG they will come up with next. Atlus is definitely my favourite publisher. Beats Square-Enix, that’s for sure.

The_Dukie85 said:

December 5th, 3:51 pm

P4 Vita Bundle. People would flock to it like free candy.

lisatsunami said:

December 5th, 4:07 pm

Aw, did someone say Demon’s Souls?! I loved that game & if could be ported to Vita that would make my year. Pretty please, Atlus?

Lt_Sokol said:

December 5th, 4:09 pm

I absolutely love Persona 3 FES and I picked up PS Vita few days ago specifically for Persona 4 Golden and Uncharted I hope to see more future RPG and adventue games on my PS Vita.

Ni No Kuni is also coming to my PS3 early next year.

This is the type of games I always enjoyed on PS1, PS2 and PSP.

PS3 had been little on the downside of proper JRPG’s and RPG’s in general from the land of the rising sun. Hopefully, there is more to come and PS4 is not forgotten what fans had enjoyed from PlayStation for the last 15 years. :)

hla-33 said:

December 5th, 4:13 pm

what about the avatars !!

Vidarcr said:

December 5th, 4:41 pm

Oh, this game renewed my interest in Jrpg’s, I used to play every jrpg I could, but in the recent years I stopped enjoying them much, and kinda lost my faith in the genre, P4 changed it all for me, what a great experience it have been. Thank you

jason201 said:

December 5th, 4:51 pm

I Love Persona 4 I Have It On PS2 Beat It Completely I’m Happy That Persona 4 Golden Has Trophies Now I Can Play It Once Again I’ve Been Using My Vita Since 2 Weeks Ago I Got The Game 2 Days Before Release

SakuraX3 said:

December 5th, 4:54 pm

All those months of waiting to play something amazing, incredible, unbelievably entertaining VITA game paid off with Persona 4: Golden. It’s one of the games I really didn’t mind having to pay extra for just so that I could get my hands on it. The wait may have been unbearably long but it was well-worth it (plus it also helped me get through my days while I was sick, haha!)!
Thank you, ATLUS and thanks to the entire P4G team! We want mooooaaaaarrrr! :D

PS. I also love this game because it gives you a COMPLETE experience compared to most of the games that come out that leave you hanging in the end and you have to purchase DLCs in order to get your money’s worth. Of course, Persona is the only game that, IF there are any DLCs, I wouldn’t mind paying for because…well…it’s Persona. Haha!

NitsudRevart said:

December 5th, 5:18 pm

I never finished the original ps2 title, although I did preorder it. I could never beat shadow Kanji. I think it being released so far late into ps2 lifecycle and early ps3 lifecycle, it was overlooked by many. Now that I have this game on PSvita I must say it is THE BEST JRPG EVER!! Final fantasy says what?!? This game is beyond polished and I love visiting Inaba every day. It has been a long time since a game has grabbed me like this. Thank you for localizing this. And as other bloggers posted here, please, please, please, please, please, give us the soundtrack on psn or iTunes. I would love to listen to p4g’s awesome music at work

JokerZombie- said:

December 5th, 5:42 pm

Can we get a discount for it on the PSN?

ModSquade said:

December 5th, 6:05 pm

The big question now, will Persona 3 FES or any other Shin Megami Tensei games get the same treatment?

It’s clear that juggernaught RPGS like this sell extremely well. I’m sure if the SMT Digital Devil Saga 1/2 got an HD Collection, Sony can have all my money.

subadictos said:

December 5th, 6:09 pm

Hi Robyn. I must say this is BY FAR the BEST GAME of PS VITA and a must have for every JRPG fan. I must say, however, I never play a persona game before, so this was a great surprise for me.

Now, I’m thinking of giving Persona 3 a chance and I regret for not buying the game some months ago when you made a 50% off week of your games (I have Katherine on disc and is great too).

Question: Is there a chance you can celebrate this big reception with a new discount of your Persona saga… I would really buy all Persona games for Vita if you do and I think many new fans would do the same.

Congratulation for this remake, that is an example of a job well done.

(Really expection a Persona 5 game pretty soon… and more JRPG from Atlus for my beloved Vita).

BANDICOOTKING said:

December 5th, 6:45 pm

I can’t motivate myself to do new game + on this game.

Heartless_Angel7 said:

December 5th, 7:18 pm

In anticipation for P4Golden I got my vita last May and the wait is worth it. Thank you Atlus. I just love, love, love LOVE this game and I will try to break my record of finishing the game 5 times in a row. Thanks again!

tayfinch said:

December 5th, 8:10 pm

Bought P4G at a midnight release. Love it.

(PS: When are we going to get more than 10 screens on the Vita? With minis, we’re getting cramped!)

Aeryn_James said:

December 5th, 8:24 pm

@ Robyn Mukai // Marketing Manager, Atlus

P4G is one of the best games I have ever played. Thank you for both bringing it to the West and to the Vita. It is great to hear P4G is doing well, as it means more possible titles from Atlus for the Vita in the future!
Thanks again!

KnifingGrimace said:

December 5th, 8:25 pm

This is definitely Game of the Year. I’m thrilled to be playing through Inaba’s story one more time, with so much content added. Please get us some Persona Playstation Network icons already!

Marie is a very enjoyable new character. Her personality is very aloof and mysterious, and I really like her design. As for other NPCs, there are just so many I enjoy talking to. The spineless kid who is always being accosted by the girls outside of the Shrine is pretty funny. Looking forward to seeing how that will end up.

Fiaryn said:

December 5th, 8:44 pm

JRPGs have an unfortunate tendency to lean heavily on archetypical, caricatures of characters and recycled save the world plots. Rarely do they have genuinely engaging narratives, themes, and characterization as seen in Planescape: Torment and Fallout: New Vegas.

Persona 4 is one of the games that break the mold and is great in almost every way. It deserves recognition and I’m glad to see it get it.

Benzitor said:

December 5th, 11:40 pm

Please keep giving love to the Vita !!!
Persona4G is the reason why i love Jrpg… This game is mad… i am leaving it besides because i love it too much, and i cannot finish P3P, which is fantastic as well.

The writing is outstanding in both, but the rework on P4 graphics is like…WOW

I love this game….everybody should love this game… Vita players should all buy this game… I wish it could become the first million seller of the Vita. It does deserve it, and would show what gamers that own the console want.

PS: The next shin megami tensei should be multi support… Is there any plan for SMT on Vita ???

JegBot said:

December 5th, 11:58 pm

I’m definitely going to pick this up when I get the chance. :3

Kchow23 said:

December 6th, 2:35 am

That is awesome! really happy that quality games are coming on the PS Vita and hopefully more are on the way from Atlus (Demon/Dark Souls) :)

Kchow23 said:

December 6th, 2:36 am

Any plans to offer the 10% off discount on the digital version?

siriusbee said:

December 6th, 4:14 am

As someone with a physical disability that prevents me from bending my neck to play on a handheld, I find it a damn shame that these Persona games are also not released for play on the PS3.

DEVIL-TAKOYAKI said:

December 6th, 4:32 am

I hope you guys will make another JRPG game to the PS Vita in English of cuz!!
Really love this game! And Thank you so much!! ^^

Traeia said:

December 6th, 5:10 am

I know there is a Persona 5 in the works. There’s probably no chance it is released for Vita, eh?

tehFei said:

December 6th, 6:02 am

I’m sure the game is awesome, I loved P4 on PS2, but why release it on Vita.. :/
Vita is dead on arrival, it’s a flop even in Japan. You’d likely have gotten more sales making a HD/upgraded version on PS3.
As much as I’d like to play it, 1 good game doesn’t warrant shelling out $250 on a handheld housing no other interesting game IMO. At least none that were localized so far.. not like Japan’s lineup is that much better though.

ragincajun7712 said:

December 6th, 6:59 am

Literally the best game I’ve ever played! That’s saying a lot as I have owned just about every console and every handheld since the Atari 2600.

Aevanilla said:

December 6th, 7:00 am

First Persona game I have ever played and I LOVE IT! This game alone makes having a Vita worth it (don’t get me wrong, I love my Vita!). Good thing I have the digital version so I can always have it with me everywhere I go!

Jotamide said:

December 6th, 9:17 am

I feel like I shot myself in the foot by watching the Persona 4 Anime and getting the ending spoiled. :/

BroSwagonist said:

December 6th, 10:12 am

Guess what P4G doesn’t have? Dual audio.

There are people out there that care about this a lot you know. Personally, I just can’t play such a heavily Japanese -flavored game with English voice acting.

xClayMeow said:

December 6th, 11:15 am

@35, thanks for the thorough reply. The only real turn-based combat games I’ve played are Flash games on Kongregate. lol.

It’s definitely tempting to try out P4G. Maybe I’ll wait for a sale since I don’t know how I’d like it. Would feel bad if I spent full price and couldn’t get into it.

lisatsunami said:

December 6th, 12:08 pm

@87, siriusbee, I’m not making light of your disability, but I play my Vita mostly flat on my back, in bed after I’ve finished my PS3 gameplay. I played the awesome Dokuro for about 6 hours straight & my neck would have been sore too, if I hadn’t been lying down.

PalmtopJakku said:

December 6th, 2:51 pm

Persona 4 was bar none the greatest game I’ve ever played, it also made me buy a vita alongside Virtue’s Last Reward. I’m glad this is breathing new life in to the fanbase, more people need to play this amazing series!

TheHerbinator75 said:

December 6th, 2:59 pm

Will the additional character on the Vita Gold version ever be released as DLC for the PS3 version? (Fantastic game BTW!)

e7BuRRo said:

December 6th, 3:21 pm

Loved Persona 1 2 and especially 3 but man was I unfortunate to not get this.
Why did it have to be sold out?! -____-

theweapon56 said:

December 6th, 4:20 pm

I might just have to get this but on a related note when is the u.s getting a trophy update for Fobisher Says??