Horizon Zero Dawn

Dec 07

Dec 07

Hands-on: BioShock Infinite for PS3

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

BioShockInfinite_HERO_RGB

In a clever touch, BioShock Infinite subtly parallels the first moments of the original BioShock. In both games you find yourself adrift, slowly making your way towards a lighthouse that juts proudly from the angry sea. The key difference this time is that you don’t plunge into the frigid depths of the Atlantic, but soar far into the heavens above in search of Columbia, a rogue city-state that seceded from the U.S. in an alternate-history version of 1912.

In both games, things are not as they first seem. BioShock’s undersea city of Rapture ran on ambiguous agendas cloaked in philosophy and punditry, but the world was clearly in its death throes from the moment you entered its haunted hallways. Columbia’s sickness is also terminal but lies deeper, eluding immediate detection. In fact, your first 30 minutes in Columbia are almost idyllic. The glow of candles lights your way into the city and angelic choirs drone pleasantly in the background. It pays to move slowly in order to better soak in the game’s dazzling eye for detail, whether it’s the colorful citizens crowding a carnival, hummingbirds buzzing busily from rosebush to rosebush, or children splashing in the spray of an opened fire hydrant. Columbia is alive.

tcvista_ONLINE

devilskiss_ONLINElizcomstock_ONLINE

Of course, this being BioShock, you know there’s a snake lurking somewhere in this Garden of Eden. And that snake would seem to be Father Comstock, a self-proclaimed prophet of Columbia who preaches self-righteous racial purity. Comstock feuds with the Vox Populi, a rebel subculture with different but perhaps similarly questionable motives. As in BioShock, the battle between these two philosophically disparate forces is the impetus for much of the game’s plot.

You play the role of former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt, an experienced but haunted private investigator. DeWitt has been pressured into infiltrating Columbia in order to evacuate Elizabeth, a teenage captive who possesses the astonishing power to open “tears” in space-time. Elizabeth is a frequent companion, and Irrational Games has gone to considerable expense and effort to make her presence a welcome one. No combatant, she’s smart enough to duck out of sight when the lead starts flying and will helpfully lob healing items and ammo when you’re in danger. Better still, she adds a delightful glimmer of humor and innocence to a game that tackles some extremely dark and disturbing themes.

bwbb_ONLINE

Compared to 2006’s BioShock, Infinite’s shooting fundamentals feel more confident and satisfying. I played with a variety of weapons — pistol, SMG, carbine, sniper rifle, and RPG — and they all proved to be potent, versatile death dealers. Though the game has shifted to a two-weapon system, you’re still able to upgrade your weapons via vending machines scattered around Columbia, enhancing accuracy, damage, clip size and much more. The revamped control scheme wisely reassigns some key actions, including a dedicated melee attack via the Triangle button and sprinting activated via L3. Overall, the DualShock 3 controls feel solid, familiar, and reliable. While the final version of the game will support the PlayStation Move motion controller, I wasn’t able to try it out this time — we’ll be looking to do so as soon as possible.

Vigors are Infinite’s answer to Plasmids, and they’re a bit more multifaceted here. Each Vigor can be used in two different ways; tap Devil’s Kiss and you’ll lob an explosive fireball, charge it up and you’ll drop a devastating mine at greater cost. Murder of Crows seemed particularly well suited to crowd control, while Bucking Bronco catapults enemies out of cover and into your sights. My favorite was probably Possession, which enabled me to remotely hack enemy turrets and score extra coin at vending machines. As with BioShock’s Plasmids, you can upgrade Vigors to add additional effects and benefits, though the upgrade paths here seemed more diverse.

Finally, it’s worth noting that the PS3 version of the game looked sharp and ran smoothly, even when the scenery soared past in the game’s vertigo-inducing Skyhook segments. Load times were infrequent, too.

Want to know more about BioShock Infinite? Drop me some questions in the comments and I’ll get you answers as quickly as possible.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

bball230 said:

December 7th, 5:07 am

When is the new Sony Playstation Webstore coming for the US?

I cant wait.

December 7th, 10:20 am

No news to share right now – we’re testing it in Europe and we’ll update you when there’s more to talk about!

Berae said:

December 7th, 5:27 am

I already pre ordered the game even if I didnt like the 2 other bioshock games that much. This one looks to be different I just hope its not as repetitive as the 1st game.

December 7th, 10:21 am

I found the environments, weapons, and Tonics much more varied than those in BioShock. There’s a lot of moving from small, cramped locations to massive, sprawling outdoor areas.

Daigen said:

December 7th, 5:33 am

Preordered the Songbird edition! Can’t wait for this game! With it delayed that will give me time to play through BioShock 1 and 2 :P Take your time Irrational… but hurry UP!

Nick930930 said:

December 7th, 5:35 am

I’ll be getting this on PC like all bioshocks, gotta have that 1920×1080 res!

Can’t wait for this game, time to show dishonoured how it’s really done! :)

December 7th, 10:21 am

I forgive you. ;) Honestly though, PS3 version ran like a champ. Played it for 5 hours and was quite pleased with the performance.

Nick930930 said:

December 7th, 5:36 am

@1 Berae

How…how was Bioshock 1 in any way repetitive? It was easily the best game of this decade.

seraph979 said:

December 7th, 5:46 am

will they change the box art based on the bad initial feedback from a lot of sites?

December 7th, 10:22 am

I was not able to ask this question. Box art is such a touchy topic these days! ;-)

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

December 7th, 5:56 am

Will be buying this, but where is my Bioshock for Vita Mr. Levine?

December 7th, 10:22 am

No update on that topic at this event

PharmBoY044 said:

December 7th, 6:00 am

Hey Sid,

Did you happen to get your hands on Bioshock Infinite with the Move?

December 7th, 10:22 am

Nope! Noted it in the preview. Hope to soon, though.

snakeeyes211 said:

December 7th, 6:02 am

@Sid Would you kindly tell me if the copy of BioShock 1 that comes in BioShock infinite. is it on the disc or digital?

December 7th, 10:23 am

Not 100% sure but I believe it’s on disc. Let’s wait til closer to launch to confirm, though.

saab01 said:

December 7th, 6:06 am

I love Bioshock but I am somewhat disappointed with no multiplayer it will be hard to drop 60 bucks on this when all I can do is beat the single player twice than sell it to get some of my money back.

December 7th, 10:23 am

I am extremely, extremely excited by the 1999 Mode. That should hopefully offer a lot of replay value.

snakeeyes211 said:

December 7th, 6:07 am

Would you say that the game looks like the pictures on the PS3 that you have up on the blog?

December 7th, 10:24 am

Generally speaking, yes. Those are probably from the PC version, but the game looks stunning on PS3.

snakeeyes211 said:

December 7th, 6:10 am

Are the pictures that you have on the blog site is that the way it’s going to look on the PS3?

snakeeyes211 said:

December 7th, 6:13 am

@saab01
Wouldn’t you rather have a rich single player experience then a cookie-cutter multiplayer mode?

bldudas said:

December 7th, 6:15 am

I would also like to know if the copy of Bioshock is digital or on the disk. I prefer a hard copy.

bldudas said:

December 7th, 6:16 am

I’m glad there’s going to be no multiplayer. It’s not needed.

Stinvil93 said:

December 7th, 6:19 am

Great post sidd

December 7th, 10:24 am

Thanks! Glad to get the feedback.

hjason1 said:

December 7th, 6:27 am

Hope a demo is released..
Game devs need to put out demos more often..
Demos sell games or they make people not wanna buy it.
It all depends on the quality of the demo…

If a game has no demo i don’t buy it..

Ryumoau said:

December 7th, 7:17 am

Wasn’t blown away by the first game and thought the second one was really boring. If nothing else interesting is released around the time as this game, i might just use my gamefly account to rent this for the trophies.

Ryumoau said:

December 7th, 7:23 am

@16 then you must not buy very many games. :P

NoGodsOnlyMan said:

December 7th, 7:28 am

it seems like this game has hit huge setbacks in its development and the blog here is trying some pr for the last month on making this game relevant again. The reality is that no new gameplay or story elements have been shared, the team making the game has suffer significant personnel losses and infinity has been delayed for way too long.

Infinite= The Last Guardian, both have become irrelevant

December 7th, 10:26 am

Not at all. They’ve been working on the game for a long time, true, but spinning something to make it sound good isn’t what I’m about. If there are serious problems with a game, the usual solution is that we don’t cover it. I certainly would’t stay up til 4am last night writing this preview if the game was garbage. :)

Berae said:

December 7th, 7:36 am

@4 Nick 930

well, the atmosphere was great but the gameplay felt repetitive. Go there kill the big daddy, hack this, kill the big daddy, hack that. Some others elements were good like you need the fire plasmid to go where there is ice, I hope they exploit more this element, like you have to go back later to open areas that are optionnal

Lugoves said:

December 7th, 7:38 am

Day one Digital download be available? Pre order? PS + Bonus Dynamic Theme?

December 7th, 10:27 am

No word on these yet, stay tuned closer to launch – March 26th is the new date.

lllxSAVAGExlll said:

December 7th, 8:10 am

The game has been delayed a month

Almighty_Dada said:

December 7th, 8:11 am

The store keeps going so slow that I have to quit and restart all the time. I thought you liked my money? Well I hope this get fixed, otherwise the old store was just fine to me.

December 7th, 10:28 am

The team is definitely monitoring feedback – thanks for providing yours.

Elvick_ said:

December 7th, 8:20 am

The artists working on this game should be proud. Beautiful

December 7th, 10:28 am

It is one handsome, handsome game.

Emerald_Swords said:

December 7th, 8:39 am

Hopefully those are ps3 pictures and not from the PC.

PhoenixDowny said:

December 7th, 8:49 am

This is exciting news. However, I’m more excited for the PS Vita BioShock that Ken Levine promised us.

Elex163 said:

December 7th, 9:11 am

That picture at the top of the post, should’ve been the cover art.

December 7th, 10:28 am

Yeah I like it more too ^_^

FreshRevenge said:

December 7th, 10:03 am

I have a question? Did they change Elizabeth outfit or is that part of the story? I like the other outfit. it makes her stylish and sexy but sophisticated at the same time.

Also I have this on preordered:)

December 7th, 10:29 am

I wondered that too. I feel like she showed more skin when we’ve seen her in the past, I really liked her more demur look in the version I played. She’s a great character, very sympathetic.

Welmosca said:

December 7th, 10:09 am

@ 5 Nick930930 – Well no…that is Uncharted 2 Among Thieves.

@ 10 saab01 – I can’t believe in what you’re saying…damn MP is the sickness of this gen…Usually the games that don’t have MP tends to be better.MP do nothing but takes away space that could’ve been used in the campaign…thats why there are so many games with 8hours long to beat.

@ 15 bldudas – I agree 100% with you…I couldn’t have said better myself.

Anyway I can’t wait for Bioshock Infinite,I have Bioshock 1 and 2 and both are fantastic games…Infinite looks even better.

goodguy_reuben said:

December 7th, 10:28 am

I can’t wait to play this.I never played Bioshock 2 though.Do I need to play Bioshock 2 to fully enjoy this?

December 7th, 10:29 am

Not at all, they are unrelated. That said, BioShock 2 is pretty good!

dizeeStL said:

December 7th, 10:30 am

Is the game in 3D?

smoothboarder540 said:

December 7th, 10:34 am

@30 Some of us that like to be competitive in video games really enjoy multiplayer. I get way more use out of games that have it. So instead of shelling out $60 a piece for games to keep me playing I can play a bit of cod, bf3, Gotham city imposters, or NFS. Even Bioshock 2. How often do you really replay the single player of these expensive campaign only games anyway? This game is one of the few exceptions for me though. I am perfectly fine with this being single player only because I’m sure it will be a really great game.

BlindMango said:

December 7th, 10:37 am

@1 – bball230

Haha, I was so surprised to see your name right there! Small world!

Also, nice question =P

DarkOne_PR said:

December 7th, 11:04 am

ok ok this game its gonna be awesome we all know that… so PLS ANY info on Bioshock Vita???? now thats the news i want to hear….

Folklore_Legendz said:

December 7th, 11:05 am

it’s sony intersted in investing for a bioshock vita game? cause if levine wants to make a vita game then, i guess is up to sony to convince 2k. it’s seens that sony work out a deal to make bioshock infinite compatible with move, so why not also a vita game? it will sell the hardware, i guarantee it!!.

Folklore_Legendz said:

December 7th, 11:18 am

sony promise to get a bioshock vita game and it isn’t happening, what’s the deal!?. the same thing happen when they promise a resident evil game for the psp, and it never happen. please tell me that this is not the case here, the vita is failing cause it has no compelling software!!. we need a good fps (killzone), rpg (legend of dragoon or demon souls), and racing game (gt). but most importantly, we need a grand theft auto game or skyrim for the vita.

Evil_Cachito said:

December 7th, 11:51 am

If I recall correctly, Ken Levine did say he regreted announcing the Bioshock title for Vita when he did, because Irrational hands were still going to be full with Infinite for a long while and he wasn’t willing to launch a port or something that had already be seen in the franchise.

They may have problems with estimating their timing, but to me it’s completely worth it.

Kchow23 said:

December 7th, 11:56 am

Going on a Bioshock Infinite blackout since I already know it will blow minds, but please let Bioshock come to the PS Vita and let it be a high quality title.

ChizFreak said:

December 7th, 11:57 am

@38 true that Vita needs more games. BioShock Vita would be a good reason for people to buy Vitas, like was Call of Duty Vita, yeah it was crap, but it sure sold some Vitas. Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Soul Sacrifice, those are big games of Vita right now; and Soul Sacrifice it’s not out yet.

And if a game like Demon’s Souls or Dark Souls were to be released on the Vita, I would drop on the ground and start crying of happiness, they are my favourite games of all time, and there are already plenty of Dark Souls/Demon’s Souls audience attracted to the Vita because of Soul Sacrifice, which looks somewhat similar to these games.

Really Sony, just talk about it with From Software, make a Souls game for Vita, or just port one of the Souls already released, and you will have a console seller right there. PLEASE

ChizFreak said:

December 7th, 11:58 am

@40 Sorry I meant @37 (Folklore_Legendz), not @38.

FreshRevenge said:

December 7th, 12:41 pm

Hey Sid
Ken Levine, said the blue dress is not being replaced but the picture that we see is early ingame. So this makes me a happy camper on this game! I tweeted about this and he responded, Blue Dress is not being replaced!

December 7th, 1:39 pm

Ok, got it :) Thanks!

shadysaiyanz said:

December 7th, 12:54 pm

@28 – I was gonna say that haha.

Welmosca said:

December 7th, 1:45 pm

@ 33 smoothboarder540 – Well I agree with you in some points…I’m not saying that I hate MP…of course that I play too and I enjoy a lot…the good ones…but its like a cancer…nowadays every developer tries to put MP in their games even in the games that don’t need…look at AC,Dead Space 2 and above all God of War.AC2 is a lot better because there is no MP(can’t talk about AC3 though)…DS2 MP is a complete flop…we could get longer campaigns instead of unnecessary MP…and God of War is the worst of them all that MP is so unnecessary…I love that game with so much passion…now I’m sure that the campaign will be shorter.And the worst of all there are people that dont even buy the game for the single player experience…fake gamers….

Welmosca said:

December 7th, 1:45 pm

..to answer your question…4 to 5 times I replay the campaign of these games…I do every single thing that is possible to do in the game.Look at Batman’s,Castlevania,Darksiders they’re one of the best this gen and they’re all single player only…what I’m trying to say is that there are few devs out there that can put MP on a game without leaving unbalanced.I mean with a 5hour long campaign with all their focus on the MP.Uncharted 2,KZ3 and Resistance 3 are good examples of great campaign and MP now BF3 and CoDs are nothing but shorter games with all the focus on MP.And no I’m not a hater.

NoGodsOnlyMan said:

December 7th, 1:48 pm

Sid
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post

I want Infinite to be great, is a game i have been waiting since it was announced. By irrelevant i dont mean to bash the game or your blog, but this game needs some good pr asap and if the ps blog does it so be it, that is what the blog is for for keeping gamers on the loop of what is coming.

BlueBl1zzard said:

December 7th, 2:18 pm

@Welmosca I think multiplayer is a hit or miss feature that some developers do right. I gotta disagree with you about AC’s multiplayer though, AC brotherhood was one of my favorite multiplayer experiences in recent years. Same with Burnout Paradise. So yeah I agree that multiplayer isn’t perfect in every game, I like to see developers experiment with new ideas.

DarqueDragon said:

December 7th, 2:22 pm

I so cannot wait for this game. When I heard Ken Levine was back on Bioshock, I was immediately sold. The original game was one fo the best I ever played. I was a bit disappointed with Bioshock 2, but still a decent game.

I might be in the minority here, but I am glad there is no multiplayer. This allows them to focus purely on the single player experience and make it the best it can be. Plus, I hated Bioshock 2’s multiplayer.

And now, a few questions for you, Sid (wonder if I will get any answers, though):

1. How are the powers? Are they exciting to use, or are there only a few useful ones and the rest are just kinda blah?

2. How is the interaction between Booker and Elizabeth? It is entertaining, or does it get old quickly?

3. How easy is it to use the Skyhook? Also, I noticed you called them “Skyhook segments”. Does that mean you only use them at key points in the game (like the Bathyspheres), or can you use the Skyhook any time you want?

4. Do you know approximately how many hours the game will run?

smoothboarder540 said:

December 7th, 3:41 pm

Yeah, I agree with BlueBl1zzard that AC has good multiplayer. It’s competitive and requires you to think more than most games. But I also agree that games should just have mp tacked on like Bioshock 2. It’s fun but very barebones.

smoothboarder540 said: