PlayStation VR

Dec 09

Dec 09

The Last of Us On PS3 May 7th, 2013: Pre-order Bonuses, New Trailer Revealed

Arne Meyer's Avatar Posted by Director of Communications, Naughty Dog

The Last of Us on PS3

It has been a big weekend for us here at Naughty Dog. We revealed a brand new trailer for The Last of Us at the Spike Video Game Awards on Friday along with the most important news for any fan – that The Last of Us will be released on May 7th, 2013!

This is our second trailer release and our first since announcing The Last of Us at least year’s VGA show. If you didn’t catch the show when it aired live or the Spike video stream, you can watch the full, uncensored trailer at the top of this post. We’ve tried to keep the trailer as spoiler-free as possible, while giving you some hints at the tense, emotional narrative the development team has crafted for The Last of Us.

That’s not all – we are also excited to announce details on the bonus content you can get for pre-ordering your copy of The Last of Us. Participating retailers will offer the Sights and Sounds Pack, which includes:

• The official soundtrack of the game
  • A PS3 dynamic theme featuring the cover art
  • Two avatars for your PSN profile – Winter Joel and Winter Ellie

The Last of Us on PS3: Sights & Sounds PackThe Last of Us on PS3: Survival Pack

We’ve also worked with GameStop to provide exclusive bonus content in addition to the Sights and Sounds Pack. Pre-ordering at GameStop also nets you the Survival Pack, which includes:

• Bonus experience points for multiplayer
  • A multiplayer melee attack booster
  • Some extra starting in-game cash
  • Special customizable character items for multiplayer
  • Two special bonus skins for Joel and Ellie which will be unlocked after your complete the single player campaign

Multiplayer, wha? We’re not quite ready to talk about it yet, but stay tuned as we’ll be revealing more details on multiplayer before The Last of Us is released on May 7th, 2013.

The team here is pumped to head into the home stretch to finish The Last of Us. We can’t wait to show you more in the coming months!

Add Your Own

Falaut said:

December 9th, 8:49 pm

Great trailer. Looks fantastic.

now…

Multiplayer?! P_-

Please redeem yourself by saying that the DLC plague will not touch the single player experience.

Seriously, the medium is slowly diluting into bullet point development. Long live HD remakes/remasters, as at least I’m getting a full/complete game for my hard earned money.

Cheers.

December 9th, 11:08 pm

We don’t develop games or features for bullet points – we make the games we enjoy and we hope you’ll enjoy as well.

Terak_PSN_Ru said:

December 9th, 8:51 pm

Any info about digital PSN version? Will it be avaible at Playstation Store Day 1?

December 9th, 11:08 pm

No info yet – still working on if we can make this available. We’ll let you know!

Butters360 said:

December 9th, 8:52 pm

Looking forward to multiplayer. And for those that don’t remember, ALL of Naughty Dog’s future games will have multiplayer.

WILLDWILL-BR said:

December 9th, 8:53 pm

Thats great, but I’m interested in a Limited Edition, maybe?…

December 9th, 11:09 pm

Maybe. We’re still working out if we will offer a Limited or Collector’s Edition.

SteveSpikes said:

December 9th, 8:53 pm

Forget about the multi-player . . . co-op maybe. But multi-player — absolutely no. Naughty Dog just needs to continue to work on truly cinematic gameplay.

DarkVincent07 said:

December 9th, 8:54 pm

Yeah I remember when MP was announced for U2. And in actual fact it wasn’t that great (to me I guess), nor was Uncharted 3’s MP. Tacked on garbage that took away resources that should have been used to improve the SP.
This NEVER felt like it should have been a MP game. Yes I haven’t seen it but it doesn’t matter. Its unnecessary and exists so non-collectors don’t trade the game in sooner, and so they can sell a god damn online pass

December 9th, 11:10 pm

MP has never taken away resources from the SP game in any of our games, always separate teams, separate resources. The folks working on the single player campaign always have the resources and support to complete that portion of the game to the vision they planned for.

XFreaktionX said:

December 9th, 8:54 pm

man i cannot wait for this game to come out. naughty dog has been one of my favorite developers ever since crash bandicoot and the uncharted series. this game will be A LOT of fun

December 9th, 11:10 pm

Thanks! We hope you enjoy it!

packy17 said:

December 9th, 8:56 pm

@49

This isn’t just about GameStop (part of it is for me). Any time a retailer gets exclusive content, people who don’t shop there get a less-complete product. Like when Ubisoft gives every retailer a different bonus, no one can get everything, which is a terrible way to treat customers. I’m glad that you’re fine with shopping there, but I’m not and now I’ll be penalized for it.

December 9th, 11:12 pm

Almost all of the bonuses provided in the Gamestop-exclusive Survival Pack are giving you early access to content or boosters you would be able to get through normal playing.

cool_trainer said:

December 9th, 8:58 pm

Naughty Gods.

Kchow23 said:

December 9th, 8:58 pm

Lovely box art… I have preordered The Last of Us since E3… hopefully I will be getting the preorder bonuses also? Was hoping we could get the comic book as a preorder bonus also, but I’m content with just having the game.

December 9th, 11:14 pm

If you pre-ordered at a participating retailers – you should be getting the bonuses we revealed today.

Glad you’re excited for the comic book! We, along with Dark Horse, should have more info for you soon.

swisstylez said:

December 9th, 8:59 pm

I’m so excited for this and the box art looks really nice, but I would like to know if is there is going to be any collectors edition?

December 9th, 11:14 pm

We’re still working out if we will be able to offer a Collector’s Edition. We’ll let you know if there’s any updates!

blakseed said:

December 9th, 9:00 pm

Looking forward to the single and MP parts o the Last of Us.

freshprincepbg said:

December 9th, 9:00 pm

Rofl I always get a kick out of seeing people pissed when seeing multi-player included. Nobody is forcing you to play the multi-player! It’s an extra for the game, geez! I feel like I get more for my money with multi-player included. As good as Naughty Dog’s campaigns are, I only played them once. I’d probably go back and play them all again one day but multi-player is what makes me put the disc in every day. Especially Uncharted’s! My fav multi-player this generation!

Naughty Dog, can you answer this though? Is the multi-player in The Last of Us gonna be like Uncharted? As much as I like Uncharted’s MP, I’m hoping for something lil different

December 9th, 11:16 pm

Mmmm, we’re going to stay quite about MP details for a little while longer. Sorry!

wolfnineniner said:

December 9th, 9:01 pm

Looks Great

swan-ton-bom said:

December 9th, 9:01 pm

I think in my honest opinion that Naughty Dog creates THE best single player games that have great stories and epic graphic qualities.

December 9th, 11:20 pm

Glad you feel that way! We try our hardest!

lamborghinichris said:

December 9th, 9:02 pm

Can’t wait.

December 9th, 11:20 pm

We can’t wait either!

I-Like-Pie45 said:

December 9th, 9:04 pm

Why is everyone so surprised at multiplayer? I mean, not like it was leaked months ago right after E3.

Also, can you mail me a free copy Arne? :) I don’t mean to exploit my birthday being the release date, but my wallet is severely drained after my Christmas shopping. ;)

Kchow23 said:

December 9th, 9:05 pm

Kudos for giving us the soundtrack btw… I know that it will be amazing!

Pabloo1010 said:

December 9th, 9:06 pm

Naughty Dog <3

December 9th, 11:21 pm

<3 our fans <3 :)

ultimate-remag said:

December 9th, 9:07 pm

Naughty Gods!!!

blakseed said:

December 9th, 9:07 pm

@Montano

You fail. Get out of big baby mode, and come back.

Pabloo1010 said:

December 9th, 9:07 pm

P.S. Beautiful Boxart, so impressed !

December 9th, 11:21 pm

Thanks so much! We put in a ton of work on it.

solace357 said:

December 9th, 9:38 pm

multiplayer, AHHHH-WHAAAA-HA!?

MakoSOLIDER said:

December 9th, 9:38 pm

Does this run on a double layered bluray?

December 9th, 11:23 pm

We’re quite a ways to finalizing our disk size and final format, but knowing that U3 took a dual-layer BD and we tend to go big with our games, I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s where the team ended up.

saab01 said:

December 9th, 9:39 pm

I could of swore before it was said that this game would not have any multiplayer mode. So I didn’t plan on buying it but renting it would of been the ideal choice. Not that multiplayer is involved most likely I will pick it up on release day. Hopefully it will live up to its expectations.

theXecutioner said:

December 9th, 9:40 pm

PLEASE for the love of all that is holy make Newegg.com one of your “participating partners”. They never get any pre-order bonuses and it bums me out.

That said, the cover art looks awesome and I can’t wait to get my hands on this game. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to sit in a corner and not look at anything related to this game until May 7.

December 9th, 11:24 pm

I like Newegg too – we’ll talk to our team that works with retailers and see if we can set something up. Cross your fingers.

bureshboy said:

December 9th, 9:42 pm

looks like a great game. needs a 10+ hour campaign though

PrinceofXIII said:

December 9th, 9:42 pm

interesting stuff, i haven’t really following the game’s progress but it looks ace.

shame about pre order incentives though, don’t like that :P

December 9th, 11:27 pm

Sorry to hear that. We thought we’re providing something cool with the Sights and Sounds Pack that our fans would really appreciate, especially since things like soundtracks end up being sold.

mexHybrid said:

December 9th, 9:43 pm

Naughty Dog announced MP a while ago and they said it won’t be co-op. They also wouldn’t give any details about it but promised it would be unique. I’m gonna give Naughty Dog the benefit of the doubt on this one. I for one enjoyed Uncharted’s MP. Even if I don’t like this one’s, I’m positive it won’t take away from SP

December 9th, 11:27 pm

We actually haven’t announced if it’s co-op or competitive or both. Only that we were working on MP. Stay tuned for more details!

TomatoDragon said:

December 9th, 9:45 pm

Excited I am.

mexHybrid said:

December 9th, 9:45 pm

Also I doubt there will be a collectors edition. You don’t see many of those for new IPs

December 9th, 11:30 pm

There’s still hope. We’re working with everyone to see if we can put one together for our fans.

LSSJBrodock said:

December 9th, 9:50 pm

Might have to pre order this.

somebignasty said:

December 9th, 9:51 pm

@58-packy17 I totally agree with you there. Like when RE6 had twelve different retailers (hyperbole) receiving twelve different Mercenaries maps as a preorder bonus. But little things like that don’t bother me, like some extra XP and extra strength for a melee attack? I think I’ll be fine if I don’t get those things. Just a little extra incentive. Maybe send someone in there to reserve and/or pick it up for you? :P

BlindMango said:

December 9th, 9:52 pm

I seriously love that boxart!!

December 9th, 11:31 pm

Thanks!! Glad to hear it.

onard00 said:

December 9th, 9:55 pm

Awesome Info… Will pre-order in March after SC2….

Boricuastorm said:

December 9th, 10:02 pm

Sorry Naughty Dog. You messed up with me, by making that deal with Game’stop’. I’ll get mine from Amazon. I’ve boycotted those crooks for some years now. Hopefully you’ll give the other shops some bonuses as well. Can’t WAIT!!

December 9th, 11:33 pm

We work with plenty of retailers – who you choose to buy from is up to you. We just hope that you buy our game and that you enjoy it!

Elvick_ said:

December 9th, 10:03 pm

Love that people can say that the single player will suffer from the multiplayer, without even playing the game first.

Uncharted 2 was so terrible, amirite? *eye roll* It only added multiplayer, and improved on everything Drake’s Fortune did, plus even more than that. That premature launch date announcement is what hurt Uncharted 3. Not multiplayer. Even then, U3 is still awesome.

LSMJGO said:

December 9th, 10:06 pm

Can’t wait for this and everyone crying about mp aslong as sp is good what do you care let people like me who loves mp enjoy it. U2 and U3 mp wern’t your style o well many people loved its not like you have to play it

Airwalkinman17 said:

December 9th, 10:26 pm

A RELEASE DATE!!!
I was waiting for an official release date before preordering this game. I’m going to go preorder this baby ASAP tomorrow. Can’t wait.

Thank you Naughty Dog/Sony!!!

PS: Phantom Pain looked… Flippin’ AMAZING

Zeniselv said:

December 9th, 10:30 pm

really amazed how people can complain about anything, if you like or not multiplayer will not add or take anything about the singleplayer, there are plenty of people that would enjoy the added value whatever it is,also i cannot see how more resources could had been putted on the uncharted 2 and 3 SP, when its as good as it is,sand finally i have to say i was able to play uncharted 2 mp with relative ease until 3 came out, and i still can get in a game with no problems in that one, and this from a person that lives in south america with a 4 mbp connection.

i certainly agree with the hope of the dlc not affecting SP and that there are some incentives with other retailers, specially amazon wich its my best choice.

Lemm said:

December 9th, 10:34 pm

Any chance of this being a DAY 1 DIGITAL title?

December 9th, 11:38 pm

Not sure yet, we’ll let you know.

starscreamerx31 said:

December 9th, 10:36 pm

Can’t wait for this game

SLEEPLESS_KNIGHT said:

December 9th, 10:52 pm

Wow! I thought this game looked fantastic before, but this trailer shows off way more of the game, environments characters etc. There will be some pretty stiff competition for GOTY in 2013 but this game will no doubt be in the running for sure. Can’t wait!

Kchow23 said:

December 9th, 10:54 pm

It would be amazing if there is a collectors edition and I’d have no qualms forking out the extra money! That bust of the “zombie” looked awesome… wink wink.

December 9th, 11:40 pm

Haha! Glad you liked the bust of an Infected! It would be awesome if we could offer something like that in one way or another. We’re still in talks to see if we can put a LE/CE together for our fans. We’ll let you know if it works out!

Gekidami said:

December 9th, 10:54 pm

Its been already said, but give us a Collectors Edition please. Even if theres nothing fancy in it, at least give us a version of the game with all of the pre order stuff bundled inside it, no reason we should miss out on the stuff because we went with another retailer, and in Europe it can be a massive pain to find one actually a part of the deal. So yeah, CE with the pre order stuff inside would be great, and for Europe, not just the US.

December 9th, 11:41 pm

We’ll definitely tell everyone that our fans are looking for a CE in our talks to try to offer one. Thanks!

HorrorGod said:

December 9th, 10:59 pm

Any chance you guys could make the cover reversible, with the opposite side being that pre-order ominous plain black cover with the white letter title?

December 9th, 11:41 pm

We haven’t discussed what will go on the interior of the cover sleeve – we’ll keep your sugestion in mind!

Busca-Cabezas said:

December 9th, 11:01 pm

Just get me in on that Closed Beta and we can call it even!! ;-D

December 9th, 11:42 pm

Closed beta?

Ringwraith said:

December 9th, 11:02 pm

If the Multi-Player something like the original Spys vs. Mercs MP in Splinter Cell, you could be on to something.

Go_Buddie_Go said:

December 9th, 11:05 pm

I like the fact that Naughty Dog hasn’t really touched on the multiplayer portion and discuss it, I think it was to kind of tell everyone that “Hey we’re serious about the single player experience!”… And then down the road “Now that we’ve got your attention, Here’s this awesome multiplayer we’ve been working on!”.

Kchow23 said:

December 9th, 11:09 pm

I fully trust Naughty Dog, but I’d like to mention that Assassins Creed 3: Liberations didn’t talk about the MP at all pre and post launch…. and for good reason. I know you guys have something great brewing and hopefully we will hear about it soon.