Final Fantasy XV

Dec 18

Dec 18

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD on PS Vita Today

Stewart Gilray's Avatar Posted by CEO, Just Add Water

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD for PS Vita

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD for PS VitaOddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD for PS Vita

What can a small team achieve in 10 months? How about porting a classic Oddworld console game to the PS Vita! The heroes at JAW beavered away since the launch of the handheld in February 2012 to bring you the most the console has to offer.

PS Vita users might still be waiting for the chance to play Munch, but just in time for the holidays, here’s Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD. We’re bringing an enhanced version of the much-loved classic to PlayStation Store later today.

Like the PS3 version before it, Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD features high-quality graphical assets, better textures and high poly models. But this isn’t a lazy port… The game makes use of PS Vita’s touchscreen and rear touchpad for added controls and runs at the native screen resolution to give you a genuine Vita experience.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD for PS Vita

The game sees you take the role of the mysterious bounty hunter Stranger on a mission to clean up the Oddworld’s Wild West. So what if you happen to profit from it, right? After all, the money is needed for important surgery! Gameplay features a unique ammo system that’s live… literally! From the wisecracking Chippunks to the ferocious Fuzzles, your ordinance is there to help you out of sticky situations however you choose to play the game.

Stranger’s Wrath for PS Vita will be out later today in North America. Stick this in your digital Christmas stocking! How does the PS Vita version stack up? Let us know in the comments.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

DrAndonuts said:

December 18th, 12:11 pm

Bought it on PS3, buying it on a Vita. Looking forward to it, JAW elite.

Jesszman said:

December 18th, 12:11 pm

Will there be a discount for those that already purchased Stranger’s Wrath HD on the PS3?

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

Stewart Gilray said:

December 19th, 8:36 am

Hi,
    First off sorry for the delay in responding, my login details failed to work yesterday, so I’ve only just had them reset.

There is due to be a 25% discount for those that are double dippers, but because it’s all very last minute I’m not sure if it’s kicked in yet, if not, when it’s due to kick in.

Nevi901 said:

December 18th, 12:11 pm

Waiting for the store to update to nab this. Great job! I’ll be waiting for Munch’s Oddysee too :D

Ryumoau said:

December 18th, 12:12 pm

i’ll get it if it has a demo or is only $9.99.

ItaChu said:

December 18th, 12:15 pm

port port port port port port port…..vita exclusives is what we want, feed us more! xD i pulled a ryback lol

ebineesey said:

December 18th, 12:15 pm

Finally! A post where every comment won’t say “Will this be on Vita?”

Ryumoau said:

December 18th, 12:23 pm

@6 lol my thoughts exactly.

Godchild1020 said:

December 18th, 12:24 pm

Why did Sony take son long to send you Vita Dev Kits. This should have been out long before today. Anyway, it’s a nice gift from the great people from Just Add Water LTD. I can’t wait for Munch’s Oddysee to come to the Vita, any date on that?

Now Sony, do your part and update the store already. There is money to be spent and I want to spend it on Stranger’s Wrath and the many great titles coming to the PS3 and PSV today/tonight.

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

Stewart Gilray said:

December 19th, 8:41 am

Well, we’re hoping to confirm the SCEA date for Munch’s Oddysee HD (PS3) later today, so hang tight on that one ;-)

As for the DevKits, we had them in good time, but were busy making sure it ran as smoothly as it does.

Srgnt_Shuckle said:

December 18th, 12:26 pm

I bought it for PS3 a few months back, will I get it free or discounted on the Vita?

Fedast said:

December 18th, 12:28 pm

@6 or where no one asked if it has platinum…. yet. BTW, can’t wait to get it!!! It will be the first “semi open world” game on my Vita.

cwsluke said:

December 18th, 12:28 pm

shhhhhh#$ enough money but too many games and not enough time. My gaming library is growing faster then I can harvest it, so as cool as this looks for my Vita, I can’t buy anymore seeds until I find room for planting.

Kazriko said:

December 18th, 12:32 pm

I think this is going to be the first Oddworld game I play… Of course, I still need to finish Persona 4 first.

cwsluke said:

December 18th, 12:35 pm

Is it just me or didn’t it use to be like 1 out of 15 commenters have PS plus and now it’s like 7 out of 10 lol. idk I’ve have plus since it released and let me tell you it pretty much forced me to buy a 750GB HDD and now I’m thinking I should of bought TBs LOL

AND PLEASE can people waiting for the store upd8 STOP rating posts low just because you want the store post. YOU KNOW YOU DO

enricky559 said:

December 18th, 12:35 pm

Oh yea! When is the PS Store going to update so that i can get this already!

megacarlos said:

December 18th, 12:35 pm

Say cross buy and u got a deal but I swear I heard this would be free with plus

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

Stewart Gilray said:

December 19th, 8:43 am

I’m afraid not. Oddworld Inhabitants are a Micro Publisher, we simply don’t have the bank balance or marketing power to afford to give stuff away for free.

We are however setting up a 25% discount for double dippers.

cwsluke said:

December 18th, 12:36 pm

I’ve had* plus

Robbie_G_lrish said:

December 18th, 12:39 pm

@9 No, they are a small company and can’t afford to do that.

I wish there was a video of it running on a Vita… I guess I’ll just wait for them to show up on YouTube.

kivi95 said:

December 18th, 12:40 pm

15# No cross-buy. And it was free for the ps3 version I think maybe you mixed that up?

Godchild1020 said:

December 18th, 12:49 pm

@10,

I know you didn’t ask, but the Vita version does have a platinum and here is the trophy list just in case any one cares to see it. It’s the same as the PS3’s trophy list.

@13, I had to purchase a TB HDD and I don’t think that is enough. Does anyone know if you can use two HDD for one PS3 (Switch, in and out the HDD when I want to play something on the other HDD)? Or should I just purchase a Second TB HDD for my second PS3?

Ryumoau said:

December 18th, 12:53 pm

@15 European Plus must have had it free because NA has never had the game offered free. At least i don’t remember it.

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

Stewart Gilray said:

December 19th, 8:44 am

Hi,
    Completely correct, it had a discounted price on PS+ within the SCEA region.

bakerarmy said:

December 18th, 12:59 pm

Bought it day one on PSN. To bad it isn’t cross-play with vita version included. :(

luvtoseek said:

December 18th, 1:06 pm

@11, cws- haha, nice imagery. Is your memory card maxed out? I have 3 gigs left on my 32 w/ some films in there, several PSN titles, & retail releases of:

1. PSAS

2. Gravity Rush

3. Unit 13

4. Persona 4

Cannot wait to try Stranger on the Vita!

plaztiksyke said:

December 18th, 1:08 pm

I’m also curious if there’s a discount for us ‘early adopters’ of the PS3 version.

Are there cloud saves between the versions?

Also curious about the audio assets; what’s the codec/bitrate?

Awesome that you’re rendering at native resolution and using the touch screens! :) Can’t wait to play Much’s Oddysee!

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

Stewart Gilray said:

December 19th, 8:46 am

Hey there,
    I won’t address the discount/cross buy thing again as I’ve replied a couple of times already on that one.

However re: “Cross-Save” again I’m afraid not. We did try to get it in there, the problem is the system that allows for Cross-Save has a 1MB limit for storage and the save files for Stranger, are up to 5MB so it simply didn’t fit.

We tried a bunch of stuff to reduce it, but we couldn’t do it. I was championing this with the team here in the office, but it just wasn’t possible.

Undrey said:

December 18th, 1:09 pm

Hi Stewart, is this on retail too or only a PS store exclusive?

Looks interesting, should I have played the previous games to play this?

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

Stewart Gilray said:

December 19th, 8:47 am

Oddworld are a Digital only publisher now, as a result this is not going to be available at Retail, apart from by (POSSIBLY) PSN Cards.

WaveLightning777 said:

December 18th, 1:12 pm

What happened to Munch’s Oddysee HD, or Abe’s Oddysee HD?

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

Stewart Gilray said:

December 19th, 8:49 am

Munch’s Oddysee HD for PS3 was approved for release recently and release info will be coming later this week from the Oddworld website.

And, there is NO such title as “Abe’s Oddysee HD”, the official name for the ground up remake is “Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee New ‘N’ Tasty” and will be out Holiday Season 2013.

reson8er said:

December 18th, 1:36 pm

Question Preamble:
I ashamedly admit, I backed myself into a corner on Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD for PS3. Started the game on Hard, and got stuck on a particular boss fight. I put the game down and it now sits on my backlog.

With all that in mind, I am VERY interested in grabbing the Vita version as Cross Play would be real groovy.

Actual Question:
Do the 2 versions support cross saves between each?

Thanks Stewart, you guys are awesome in my book :)

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

Stewart Gilray said:

December 19th, 8:51 am

Just a quickie here, I just touched on Cross-Save above… Sorry :(

clupula668 said:

December 18th, 1:38 pm

@25 – Munch actually comes to Europe today, apparently, and is supposed to come out here in December. Being there’s only one more week of December left, I’m assuming it’s the next update.

ZERO_169 said:

December 18th, 1:42 pm

What will be the price?
I dont understand why that wasn’t mentioned in the article.
It better not be more than the ps3 version. I seriously can’t stand when that happens.

EggySong85 said:

December 18th, 1:48 pm

Might be the best fps on vita to date… Enough to entice me.

komentra said:

December 18th, 1:56 pm

Ah, More Ports. No cross buy. No mention of the price? No mention of how the Vita’s features are used in the game? Hopefully theres a demo or else I’ll be passing on this. It will probably be on PS Plus in 3-5 months anyways.

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

Stewart Gilray said:

December 19th, 8:53 am

Hey there,
    I can understand your frustration, to a degree, however check out the reviews there are some doozys coming through.

Also the price is $14.99.

Trieloth said:

December 18th, 2:19 pm

Will this be on the vita?! …jk

Definatley buying this!

luvtoseek said:

December 18th, 2:24 pm

Ladies & Gents:

Price: $14.99

Cross Buy/Save/Play: No, but never say never when you can intro patches.

Top Trophy: Platinum

D-Squad3 said:

December 18th, 2:30 pm

No Cross Buy? No thanks.

Ryumoau said:

December 18th, 2:46 pm

$14.99? is there a demo? if not, i’ll wait till Plus offers this free.

macy113 said:

December 18th, 3:07 pm

@25

Munch’s Odyssey is coming out in February 2013 and Abe’s Odyssey is coming later in 2013

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

Stewart Gilray said:

December 19th, 8:54 am

Actually, the Feb 2013 date is for the VITA version, the PS3 version is… TBA this week ;)

Godchild1020 said:

December 18th, 3:12 pm

You can download the game now. Along with a few others. Price changes are up as well.

LABARONX said:

December 18th, 3:19 pm

Some of the sense of entitlement on the blog is disturbing. Luckily its the same 12 people and not the majority of the majority on psn

Purchased it on ps3 will buy again on vita…. $15 bucks is a steal for this game

Ryumoau said:

December 18th, 3:43 pm

@37 the sense of stupidity on the blog is disturbing. Luckily its just you and Primer.

PrimeroIncognito said:

December 18th, 3:47 pm

@LABARONX

They’re not real gamers. They’re posers.

PrimeroIncognito said:

December 18th, 3:49 pm

Hee hee… believe me Goofus, you don’t even realize the damage you’ve done to your credibility with your constant flubs. But you will realize it, one day. Maybe…

omegazio said:

December 18th, 3:55 pm

im looking forward to munch oddysee for vita when is that going to be released

LABARONX said:

December 18th, 4:12 pm

Oh wow the cheapskate made a lame attempt to call me out.. dont worry ill keep buying games so sony can give them to you for free later.

Wah wah wah I don’t wanna pay.money for my hobby…. blah blah blah it should be free blah blah blah

LABARONX said:

December 18th, 4:36 pm

@39 I wouldnt call them posers but if some indie developers feel they have to work another 6 months to release a copy of a vita version of a psn game and the community as a whole says we want free extra content and a free ps3 version or we won’t buy than those developers may shy away from vita ports. I held of rainbow moon for the ps3 for the vita version… crossbuy would be great… but I’m not demanding it nor am I expecting it… again I believe most ps3/vita games in codevelopment. Right now should support cross buy and cross play but bullying a 30 or less studio isn’t the way to do it…. if this was sony or capcom yeah. I wasnt attacking anyone I just see some concern in the approach

crusher915 said:

December 18th, 7:15 pm

Here is a collection of Answers

(Robbie_G_lrish)
Will there be Cross-buy? = No, they are a small company and can’t afford to do that.

(luvtoseek)
Price? = $14.99

Cross Save/Play = No, but never say never when you can intro patches, also there is a 1MB Cross save limit that this game exceeds.

Top Trophy = Platinum

(ME)
Gameplay footage = there are Gameplay footages on youtube but they are as recent as 3 months ago

sniperbsr said:

December 18th, 7:21 pm

looks good

Elvick_ said:

December 18th, 8:05 pm

@25 Shouod follow them on facebook. They answer those questions all the time. Munch HD is waiting a date for PS3 in NA. Vita version set for Feb, 2013. Abe is set for sometime next year.

BANDICOOTKING said:

December 18th, 8:35 pm

I bought this not expecting much, only to be very pleasantly surprised, this is assuredly one of the best looking games the vita has to offer. the gameplay may be … restrictive, but for $15 I’m having fun. The only real problem I’ve had with the game so far is the annoying sounds stranger makes.

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

Stewart Gilray said:

December 19th, 8:58 am

Hey there,
    Love the fact that you bought the game not expecting much, and have now changed your mind.

a) Can I ask what were you expecting?
    b) Restrictive in what way?

Do you mean restrictive in the sense that it feels linear? if so it’s pretty open, in the sense that you can go after bounties any order you want, especially compared to titles with linear path stories.

PhoenixDowny said:

December 18th, 8:44 pm

As a young man who enjoys Cowboys, Indians and all things Western I am definitely going to download this to my PS Vita. I just wish there was a memory card discount so I could have a bigger boat. This will be my first Oddworld game and it’ll be a good way of tiding me over until Disney’s Lone Ranger rides in July 2013.

Formulita_2k said:

December 18th, 11:26 pm

No Cross Buy? No buy … Next !

Elvick_ said:

December 19th, 12:13 am

@49: I highly doubt you would have bought it anyway, because if you cared about this game, then you’d have it already or be willing to at least buy one of the versions of the game.

It’s not a 3rd party developer’s job to sell the Vita. Which is what cross buy is basically for, because as it’s always been, if people want to buy a game for the benefit of portability they will. If they also want it on a console, they’ll buy it twice.

I’ve done it for years before cross buy and for games I care about having on both, I’ll continue to do so. Cross buy is just a nice bonus. Or a tedious one for the PS3 retail and PS Vita digital cross buy.

PAGE 1 2