Horizon Zero Dawn

Dec 20

Dec 20

5 Candidates for the Cover of MLB: The Show 2013 So Far, Who’s Next?

Tyler Vaught's Avatar Posted by Sports Brand Manager, MLB The Show

Last month, we revealed that you, the fans, will have the opportunity to choose the cover athlete for MLB® 13 The Show™. Over the last few weeks, five of baseball’s top athletes have announced their candidacy to be the new face of the most realistic baseball game on the market. Here’s a quick recap of who is in the running to be on the cover of The Show and how and when the final candidate will be unveiled.

2012 National League All-Star and NL rookie of the year, Bryce Harper of the Washington Nationals, was the first athlete to announce that he wants fans to vote for him to be on the cover of The Show in an interview with Kotaku’s Owen Good on December 12th.

Why should you vote for him? He would become the youngest athlete ever to grace the cover of The Show.

HARPER_card

#MLB13Harper

New York Yankees starting pitcher and six-time All-Star, CC Sabathia announced his candidacy for the cover during his annual Holiday party at the MLB Fan Cave in New York on December 13th. It was there, where CC and his charity, The PitCCh in Foundation gave 52 PlayStation Vitas to the Madison Square Boys and Girls Club from the Bronx.

Why should you vote for him? There has never been a pitcher on the cover of The Show.

CC_card

#MLB13CC

Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder and 2012 Player’s Choice National League Most Outstanding Player, Andrew McCutchen announced that he’ll be in the running for the cover of The Show during a flurry of radio interviews on December 18th.
Why should you vote for him? He may have the best hair of anyone to ever grace our cover.

CUTCH_card

#MLB13Cutch

Los Angeles Dodgers’ Matt Kemp wants to add coverboy to his list of achievements, which include 2 All-Star appearances, 2 gold gloves, 2 silver sluggers, a home run crown and the 30-30 club. He spoke with IGN’s Greg Miller about how amazing it would be to be on the cover of the Show on the 19th.

Why should you vote for him? He could become the first west coast player ever on the cover of The Show.

KEMP_card

#MLB13Kemp

Milwaukee Brewers’ outfielder and 2012 National League All-Star Ryan Braun pronounced his candidacy straight from the @playstation twitter account on December 19th.

Why should you vote for him? Because 2010, when he hit .304, had 25 homers and 103 RBIs, was his worst year as a pro.

braun_card

#MLB13Braun

Already an impressive list, it will be finalized later today as the final athlete announcement will be made later this afternoon on MLB.com.

Add Your Own

deCarvalho7 said:

December 20th, 9:04 am

That’s a clown question bro – Bryce Harper please

D-Squad3 said:

December 20th, 9:07 am

Hmmm

TRIX_BOL said:

December 20th, 9:07 am

First I must say I’m a Yankees fan, but must say that 2012 toppest players have not been added. There are couple more missing on Buster Posey, Mike Trout, Justin Verlander and Miguel Cabrera.

kanyewest_tml said:

December 20th, 9:08 am

Is Canada going to get their own cover again featuring a Blue Jay? If so, Brett Lawrie!

GhostMachine1 said:

December 20th, 9:11 am

Matt Kemp deserves proves himself again and again why he’s one of the best players in the league. He’s my favorite current player.

Velmonte said:

December 20th, 9:21 am

Miguel Cabrera is out of state playing winter-league games in his home country Venezuela, maybe that’s the reason he was unable to be a runner up for the 2013 MLB cover.
BUT, I know for sure that Mike Trout or Buster Posey could had been willing to participate.
I’m keeping my fingers crossed until the last athlete is unveiled.

Shadowtroop1 said:

December 20th, 9:21 am

I would like Adam Jones to be on the cover.

GameOverGreggy said:

December 20th, 9:30 am

Kirby Puckett, please.

BrianC6234 said:

December 20th, 9:35 am

I don’t care about any of those guys. It’s Mike Trout or nobody. Get it done Sony.

TRIX_BOL said:

December 20th, 9:45 am

@9 BrianC6234
I agree with you, pal. Mike Trout had a terrific season to entitle his candidacy for the cover, or even to unanimously be the over to grace the Cover. All we can do is wait till the last player is announced.

packy17 said:

December 20th, 9:58 am

Harper is obviously the correct choice.

/nationalsfan

DemoniOtaku said:

December 20th, 10:01 am

and What the Hell Happenned to Miguel Cabrera?! He was on eof the nominees you mentioned last month!!

What a dissapointing.. -.-

superfriar19 said:

December 20th, 10:20 am

At least the Padres ballpark got some love.

jumpman1229 said:

December 20th, 10:33 am

I would like Adam Jones or Mike Trout!

Sincerely,

An Orioles/Angels fan

tolkienfanatic said:

December 20th, 10:37 am

No Trout?

Nick930930 said:

December 20th, 10:39 am

And why am I not a candidate for the cover?

I hit a homerun in my machine pitch league….. I should def be on the cover!

TRIX_BOL said:

December 20th, 10:50 am

I figure that Final candidate Athlete might be an American League player. 4 National Leaguers & only 1 AL so far.

warezIbanez said:

December 20th, 10:57 am

What kind of a list is this?!? No mention of Felix Hernandez at all??? I’m going to hashtag #MLB13KINGFELIX !

KwietStorm said:

December 20th, 11:01 am

Jose Canseco

#roidrat

mosespippy said:

December 20th, 11:08 am

Four candidates from the NL and one from the Yankees? It seems you’re only choosing candidates from my 16 least favourite teams.

m_ruiz said:

December 20th, 11:11 am

WTH? Where’s the love for Oakland?! Cespedes or Crisp should be Canidates…or ever the whole team on the cover! They kicked butt this year…C’MON SON!

Valerik_ said:

December 20th, 11:14 am

Honestly, how can Buster Posey not be on the short list of candidates?

BraidedWALLACE said:

December 20th, 11:19 am

Is there any chance that you guys can work something out with sony and the studio the made NFL Game Day an resurrect that game using MLB the show engine. Is ther anything in the plans. plzzzzzzzz. Tired of madden non in progression as a game.

boomstickbhg said:

December 20th, 11:42 am

Wow.

While there are a few quality players on this list, it’s a terrible choice of options.

You couldn’t find some of the better players? Maybe Cy young or MVP calibur players?

No hate on most of those players, Harper is a solid rookie who hasn’t proved anything and the others are at varying stages of their careers. (Wouldn’t want to face CC, but there are a ton of better pitchers right now).

Any chance you change the list of candidates to a list people would want to vote on?

Or are you just trying to rig the voting for Harper so you chose other people no one cares about? (I’m a big fan of Braun and Kemp, but neither deserve this).

TRIX_BOL said:

December 20th, 12:11 pm

There ya’ll had it, MVPs Miguel Cabrera and Buster Posey will be candidates.

theXecutioner said:

December 20th, 12:23 pm

I respectfully disagree with Matt Kemp’s and Bryce Harper’s candidacy. They’re good players, but neither player had a stand-out season last year. And while McCutchen had a decent year, it’s only his first. Call me old fashioned but I’d like to see someone who’s “earned their due” on the cover.

That leaves CC Sabathia and Ryan Braun. CC had an “off” year by his standards (finishing outside the AL top 5 in ERA, Ks, and IP), but he’s been consistently brilliant for years. I’ve also been waiting patiently for a pitcher to make the cover, and C.C. is as deserving as any.

On the other hand, Ryan Braun not only had a great 2012 season but is arguably the best hitter in the National League, and definitely one of the best in the game. He hits for average (career .313) and power (averages 33 HR and 37 2B a season), steals bases, and scores runs. In my honest opinion he deserved to keep his MVP honor this year despite losing to Buster Posey. Couple that with the fact that he has never had a “bad” season and you have my pick for 2013.

I will be voting for Ryan Braun, though I’d be thrilled to see either Ryan or CC on the cover.

KwietStorm said:

December 20th, 12:38 pm

Did anyone read the title? I see the words SO FAR and WHO’S NEXT. Can anybody else find them?

VixDiesel said:

December 20th, 12:48 pm

R.A. Dickey. :)

Strk14 said:

December 20th, 1:06 pm

Why no love for the reigning NL Cy Young Award winner? R.A. Dickey please

davivman said:

December 20th, 1:20 pm

The Nats were a ton of fun to watch this year and Bryce Harper was a big part of that. I’ll never forget Harper’s response to Cole Hammels’s classy attempt to put a teenage rookie in his place by intentionally beaning him with a 93 mph fastball. That response being: calmly taking your base, advancing to 3rd off a Jason Werth single, and then STEALING HOME! Loved it.

JayBizzle311 said:

December 20th, 2:21 pm

Um….. where is Miguel Cabrera and Mike Trout??? Someone didn’t watch baseball this season… Because they sure as hell deserve a cover for the years they had.

BrianC6234 said:

December 20th, 2:48 pm

And where’s Trout? No Trout on the ballot, no wasting my time. Get it done. I’m really not interested in this if you don’t get the best player in years on there.

cobrafang said:

December 20th, 3:12 pm

MATT KEMP.

RXL209 said:

December 20th, 3:18 pm

buster posey or im not buying it

lyfestory said:

December 20th, 3:40 pm

Harper?? that is a clown choice, might as well just put a clown on the cover if you’re going with someone who has done next to nothing in the majors… someone who’s done some time in the bigs with success belongs on there… Cabrera, Verlander, Posey, Ichiro even…. anyone but Harper..

Train1999 said:

December 20th, 3:50 pm

I’d say Buster Posey will win. He’s got the Rings to prove it. Major reason why the SF Giants won two World Series in the last 3 seasons.

jj16802 said:

December 20th, 5:02 pm

CC Sabathia definitely! Go Yankees!

GhostMachine1 said:

December 20th, 5:31 pm

I also agree that Mike Trout should be given the opportunity to make it.

kevster150 said:

December 20th, 6:50 pm

chipper jones even though he retired

D_R_O_Z said:

December 20th, 7:31 pm

Braun is by far the most deserving candidate. He had the most productive season in the nl even better than posey, the only reason he didn’t win the mvp was because his team didn’t make the post and the stigma from the PED scandal that never should have been made public. Cabrera is the only other serious candidate.

HorrorGod said:

December 21st, 12:30 am

Buster Posey will be on the cover. Us Giants fans will make sure of that ;)

dizeeStL said:

December 21st, 1:31 am

Yadi Molina

rjejr said:

December 21st, 10:40 am

I signed in to say sayonara to R. A. Dickey (loser Mets didn’t even put him in their emailed holiday card after he won 20 games for our crappy team and the Cy Young) but every year there are 2 Cy Youngs, it’s been a LOOOONG time since the last triple crown winner, and who knows if we’ll ever get one again?

So, Cabrera.

Majorpain2587 said:

December 21st, 10:45 am

I’m a Giants fan and I’m sad to not see one on here… I see a lot of people say Posey… I wouldn’t mind that but I prefer Matt Cain to be on the cover… First pitcher and first west coaster on a cover… fit his “first giant to throw a perfect game” title

coozm11 said:

December 21st, 11:33 am

All of These Candidates suck,where the heck is Prince Fielder “THE HOMERUN DERBY CHAMP”

bishopbatman said:

December 21st, 9:34 pm

I am surprised that Chipper Jones did not even enter into the debate especially being his last year and all he has accomplished.

rangerdude32 said:

December 24th, 5:59 am

I would like to see Adrian beltre on the cover he would be a wise choice

josephke11y86 said:

December 25th, 9:58 pm

It is an absolute joke that neither Buster Posey or Mike Trout are in this contest in favor of Kemp, Sabathia, and Harper.

One is an AL MVP finalist, the other is the NL MVP and 2012 World Series champion. Get it together!