PlayStation VR

Dec 20

Dec 20

Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable Invades PS Vita January 8th

Miki Takahashi's Avatar Posted by Assistant Producer, D3Publisher

Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable on PS Vita

EDF! EDF! EDF! We are excited to share the news today that Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable will be available as a digital download on PlayStation Vita at the beginning of the year. The game will be available on January 8th, 2013 in North America for $39.99 and players will get to experience all the intense action that the Earth Defense Force can endure.

What is really cool is that Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable is completely remastered from the original classic shooter (Earth Defense Force 2017) and with so many extras, players will truly get a new EDF experience that wasn’t possible before. Players will get to check out seven new levels plus dive into all the action with fan favorite Pale Wing, giving players the power to soar high over buildings in her jet pack and cause massive destruction from above.

Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable on PS VitaEarth Defense Force 2017 Portable on PS Vita

You will also find some new enemies in the game, and blast them to smithereens with your choice of more than 230 weapons, including many new ones. For the first time, save the world with your friends in online multiplayer for up to four players in co-op and versus mode.

We look forward to hearing about your experiences with Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable and hope that you can save mankind from this insect infestation starting on January 8th! Good luck!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

Gorvi said:

December 20th, 11:33 am

This looks like a ton of fun. Will there be a demo?

Wario64 said:

December 20th, 11:33 am

Will there be a retail release in North America?

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

Miki Takahashi said:

December 20th, 1:27 pm

poodude said:

December 20th, 11:36 am

I love Earth Defense Force, but I was really hoping for a retail release. Might end up waiting for a price drop if it’s download only.

kingbet123 said:

December 20th, 11:37 am

Looking forward to it!!!

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

Miki Takahashi said:

December 20th, 1:28 pm

We can’t wait too! Playing with our friends in multiplayer is really going to be fun to experience in co-op and versus mode against all those pesky insects!

Neil said:

December 20th, 11:41 am

I already pre-ordered this from Newegg.com as a gift for a friend. Is this game digital only now?

iriihutoR84 said:

December 20th, 11:41 am

Retail release, please. ♥

But_Honestly said:

December 20th, 11:42 am

EDF! EDF! Insect Armageddon was fun, but I’m really happy to have all the schlocky goodness of the original on a Sony platform. I think it will be a really good fit for Vita as well.

BlindsideDork said:

December 20th, 11:43 am

It almost reads as if the game comes out digitally on January 1 but retail stores January 8. I am sure that is just bad wording though…right?

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

Miki Takahashi said:

December 20th, 1:29 pm

Game is coming out on January 8th.

Wintermute9001 said:

December 20th, 11:46 am

This game is pretty much the only reason I have been holding on to that other console. Now getting an enhanced portable version? January 8th cannot come soon enough!

otic101 said:

December 20th, 11:56 am

Pretty good looking game and a good way to start the year off for the PS Vita

JumpMan33 said:

December 20th, 12:03 pm

I also preordered the game on newegg, is it only for PSN download now?

RidleysBox said:

December 20th, 12:06 pm

*sigh* another digital only title for NA … guess I will be importing this.

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

Miki Takahashi said:

December 20th, 1:30 pm

Game will also be coming to Europe and you can play MP with Europe and North America together.

tusunami said:

December 20th, 12:07 pm

It’s great to see more PS Vita titles coming out, keep em coming!!!!!!!!!!!

xKOROSHIYAx said:

December 20th, 12:10 pm

It’s kind of disappointing to see this going digital only, especially when you showed a picture and a full boxed retail copy in your last post about the game here on the PS Blog. I had it preordered on Amazon, but they canceled my order last week. Is there any specific reason you guys changed to digital only? Regardless, I still thank you for bringing this over to NA and I will enjoy the game.

MushThePainter said:

December 20th, 12:15 pm

Digital only huh? Hopefully I get the 32gb card I’ve been asking for for Christmas..

dallow said:

December 20th, 12:23 pm

My physical copy was cancelled.

Sorry, I won’t buy this as digital only for the full $39.99 price tag.
Was really looking forward to EDF action too…. :(

JKar275 said:

December 20th, 12:28 pm

I’m interested in this game but if there’s no demo – then I definitely won’t buy it. It’s very important to release a demo so that we can decide if a game is worth our time & money.

cool_trainer said:

December 20th, 12:29 pm

Retail or not this looks cool and I’m looking forward to it.

jimmyfoxhound said:

December 20th, 12:32 pm

I’m going to pick it up anyway but I do wish we had a retail option, even if it was a small limited run. There are a few games I really love that I want to keep on my shelf and this was one of them.. :(

Kithkarnon said:

December 20th, 12:42 pm

Full price for digital plus the $3.13 per GB of usage on my 32GB – turns my interest from yay, to eh.

Grawbad said:

December 20th, 12:43 pm

I am a game collector. I buy physical copies of games. Sure for the psn stuff and arcade type stuff, I get the reason for no physical product. But when a full game goes digital only it pains me so.
One day I won’t be able to walk into a store and buy games in a box. I guess some people want it this way, but I really don’t. Alas, can’t stop the future from happening, just wanted to share that after seeing this happen.

kivi95 said:

December 20th, 12:56 pm

If you are going to do a digital only release atleast make sure the game is cheaper then normal. It should have been $29.99 really.

kivi95 said:

December 20th, 12:58 pm

I mean you just doomed this game right now.

reson8er said:

December 20th, 1:04 pm

Firstly I would like to say thank you for bringing this to the US.

Secondly I would like to say that I feel the price is a bit high for this game. Unless the series has done rebooted and is now aiming for “AAA” quality, the EDF series has always been a budget title. $40 is a budget price for a full PS3 game, NOT a Vita game.

I mean no disrespect as I said I am glad this is coming to the US at all, its just feel odd seeing the cost of the game being in line with AAA title.

aihuman said:

December 20th, 1:18 pm

Although I’m glad that’s it coming out sooner but why digital only?Is this Namco’s doing?Maybe get a different publisher next time. Namco hasn’t even released Pac-Man CE and DX on Vita for crying out loud.That should tell you where their prioritizes are.

Christian399 said:

December 20th, 1:24 pm

Digital only is fine. In fact, if that makes the publishing process less risky, since D3 is a NAMCO subsidiary, why don’t they bring over some GAMES THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT. You know, TALES games. There’s one out on the Vita already and another one in the works. I’ve never seen Japanese publishers so freakin’ sky about promoting their TOP TIER IPs in the West. Newsflash, these games fail here because by the time you release them, no one cares anymore. Stop being shy and jump in the pool.

I have no interest in this game, but I’ll buy it to encourage more Japanese support in the West.

dallow said:

December 20th, 1:35 pm

Why is this game $39.99 when:

1) You’re now saving significantly since Vita cart production is not needed anymore
2) Most localization/translation was completed and copied from the original 360 version 5 years ago.

At least tell me NA/EU players can play with JPN/HK versions of the game…

Major_Hoare said:

December 20th, 1:35 pm

How big is the download going to be?

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

Miki Takahashi said:

December 20th, 6:15 pm

It will be slightly over 600 MB for download.

whatisdelicious said:

December 20th, 1:36 pm

Seems a bit pricey for a remastered old game on a handheld, no less, but I really liked Insect Armageddon, so I’ll probably get it when it goes on sale or something.

dallow said:

December 20th, 1:40 pm

@Major_Hoare

It’s around 500mb, so at least it isn’t huge.

mremerson said:

December 20th, 1:56 pm

Guys @14, @25, @27, @29 don’t wast your time. PS Blog don’t anwser comments like that. They only reply comments with

OMG I CAN’T WAIT
THIS A MUST BUY

=/

jaffa_cake_king said:

December 20th, 2:18 pm

Is this coming to the UK? If so will it be the same date? I was going to import a physical copy but i guess i’m screwed with that now! This game was the only reason i bought a Vita so i’m not going to be a happy bunny if i can’t play it on my UK account!

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

Miki Takahashi said:

December 20th, 6:15 pm

The game will be available in the UK, from Namco Bandai.

TwinDad said:

December 20th, 2:29 pm

Obviously paying less is better, but I don’t mind on select games paying the same as a physical copy. Having said that one of the first thoughts I have is does this game fit on the terrible 4gb card that Sony gives. So it seems it will. Great.

@Sony

Until your quit the lunacy pricing on a memory card I refuse to buy another card. I just bought a class 10 card for my 3DSXL for $10, your class 4 card is $47. I’m not alone you need to find a way to reduce the prices on these cards.

benhofb said:

December 20th, 2:35 pm

Well that is stupid. I would be willing to fork over $39.99 for a full retail edition of EDF 2017 Portable, but now that it is all digital I am not interested. Anyone else remember the same exact PR person showing off localized box art awhile back? Meh. Quit teasing us. Dem Vita GBs are a pretty penny, you know.

jaffa_cake_king said:

December 20th, 2:55 pm

Also, why don’t you release this for the PS3? Infact rerelase it for the Xbox 360 as well, i’d buy all of them!

EmperorKorea said:

December 20th, 3:14 pm

physical release or no buy

Blade-Runner-IV said:

December 20th, 3:21 pm

What is the release date for Europe and will there be a physical release?

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

Miki Takahashi said:

December 20th, 6:21 pm

Game is coming to Europe on January 16th.

Alias03 said:

December 20th, 3:41 pm

39.99 is too expensive. Would have probably tried it for 19.99. Lets be honest this is pretty much a port of a budget title.

Jobocan said:

December 20th, 3:43 pm

“Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable is a digital download only title and will be available for purchase on January 8th.”

Well, you’ve lost my money, good job.

I’ll just get the xbox 360 version, as a physical copy, for, like, 20$. Or just skip 2017 and get 2025.

SamuelSpade said:

December 20th, 3:48 pm

I imported the Japanese version and I love it!! But…..I also agree that $39.99 is to much for a digital only release.

pluto-3_ said:

December 20th, 3:58 pm

What is the estimated European release date?

Miki Takahashi's Avatar

Miki Takahashi said:

December 20th, 6:22 pm

Game is coming to Europe January 16th.

stinkaypewps said:

December 20th, 4:03 pm

I was really looking forward to this game, but no retail release is a deal breaker for me.

GENETICIDE said:

December 20th, 4:26 pm

Another great game nobody will play because of digital only release. Good job guys. No physical, no buy.

Ryumoau said:

December 20th, 4:37 pm

lol at all the dinosaurs who still can’t except that digital only will eventually be the future.

I’m really happy to see this step. It saves the Publishers money. Though i am abit surprised that you are still charging $40. It would seem more reasonable to go with a $20-30 price tag since you don’t have to deal with the costs of retail packaging in NA. :/

Ryumoau said:

December 20th, 4:43 pm

@26 i’m actually hoping Tales of Xilia gets a day 1 psn digital launch. I have a 500 GB harddrive and would love to play it from there anytime i wanted. As long as they priced it reasonably ($40).

BattleSuit_Jill said:

December 20th, 4:53 pm

where is the Resident Evil 6 , Stage map pack A ? , i can’t found it in the playstation store :`(

UnleashedMonkey said:

December 20th, 5:00 pm

40 dollars for digital only? no thanks

Kaddyshacks said:

December 20th, 5:27 pm

I was going to get this when I saw the initial post about it. Even saw the boxart and was like ‘sweet it’s coming to retail, and has nice boxart to boot’. Then you guys say it’s digital only for full retail price…no way. You lost a sale here.

Kaddyshacks said:

December 20th, 5:32 pm

Ha! It’s even for pre-order sale on Newegg at $29.99 for a retail edition…what’s going on here D3?

GhostMachine1 said:

December 20th, 5:36 pm

You people actually buy physical copies of vita games? Get a 32gb memory card so you won’t have to waste space lugging games around. I’ll wait for reviews before I decide to get this.

PAGE 1 2 3