PlayStation VR

Dec 26

Dec 26

Inside the Weird, Wonderful World of Media Molecule

James Spafford's Avatar Posted by Community Manager, Double Fine Productions

ATT00001

If you were to visit the Media Molecule studio, you’d see that it’s very us. The pink carpets lead you through to a work space that’s filled with bright colours and interesting or curious things to look at. In a bid to keep our surroundings inspiring and as conducive to creativity as possible, we’re spoiled rotten with creature comforts and toys to play. To a visitor, all of this can make for quite a tour.

As a visitor though, you’d only get to see a brief glimpse of the studio – enough to take in the big picture, but not enough to truly get a feel for the place, and they say; the devil is in the detail. If you were able to spend more time here, you’d start to notice all the little things that are perhaps less immediately enticing as a ping pong table, but are far more interesting, and quite often, downright odd.

ATT00003ATT00012ATT00015ATT00018ATT00020

It’s the slightly weirder or out of place things that I think truly reflect the creative eccentricities of this merry band of game developers. See that mountain of paper? Have a bit of rummage and you’ll discover that it’s actually Rex’s desk, and its made from a treasure trove of doodles. Siobhan’s desk plays host to an exquisite collection of snow globes, and Alex’s cluttered mess could very well contain the secrets of the universe, if only it could be deciphered.

In an attempt to offer the world a more detailed glimpse inside the studio, I’ve put together a selection of some of my favourite oddities from around the place; purposeful art, random graffiti, endearing decoration, and things of unknown origin. Some can be found in plain sight, others might require looking a little closer, but all of them will give you a glimpse inside the head of the average Molecule, rather than simply the studio they work in.

ATT00002ATT00004ATT00005ATT00006

ATT00008ATT00009ATT00010ATT00011

ATT00013ATT00014ATT00016ATT00017

ATT00019ATT00021ATT00022ATT00023

Make of them what you will!

Add Your Own

Xabdos said:

December 26th, 8:22 am

Yep, the work place does feel very much like LBP, it’s weird, quirky and odd.
But, how come there’s nothing that is relative to their upcoming title TearAway ? – Is it developed somewhere else, or ?

GhostMachine1 said:

December 26th, 8:28 am

@1 It’s not obvious to you that they’ll reveal more to you when they feel the time is right?

PatricioUSA said:

December 26th, 8:34 am

Looks exactly like LBP haha

Nick930930 said:

December 26th, 8:37 am

Such a great studio! Thank you guys for all the work you’ve done over the years. It has mage a big impact in terms of what video games can do! My little nephew knows more about programming than I ever knew taking those classes in high school haha

horndoghorner said:

December 26th, 8:45 am

anybody else read this in Stephen Fry’s voice?

Psikorps said:

December 26th, 9:03 am

@5 – Glad I was not the only one to do so…lol.

BrianC6234 said:

December 26th, 9:58 am

Someone needs to make these photos public. They’re all private so we can’t get to them.

CatatonicAlex said:

December 26th, 11:19 am

katamari damacy rep? :O

boxmyth said:

December 26th, 12:45 pm

Tearaway. 2013 is all about Tearaway for me. Top of my list, that one.

KRONOS-- said:

December 26th, 1:38 pm

Lol @ horndoghorner, I did the same thing. :)

Great pics and thank you for the brieft tour, MM. Can’t wait to see what you got in store for us in 2013. Happy holidays and new year!

DelMurice said:

December 26th, 2:18 pm

All the photos looked interesting, but too bad I need a Yahoo account to view them. I’ve got nothing to do with Yahoo anymore. Been boycotting them. But, Media Molecule, I have every game they made, and all of them are endless fun.

Skrawney said:

December 27th, 9:14 am

I have to agree with #7&11. Make the pics public, I’m not going to create a yahoo account just to be able to view these full screen.

sadguy143 said:

December 29th, 8:20 am

i hope i’m not the only one who read the post with LBP’s narrator’s voice.

JakeRuiner said:

December 31st, 12:01 pm

I’m quite certain that many people at MM have ASMR. Happy Holidays!

SpankieJames said:

January 2nd, 5:07 am

Mm is NOT “weird”! They are unique, creative and different. I have purchased EVERY DLC and pack that has come out that I can to help them CONTINUE their efforts to show the world that just because something is “new” or “different” doesn’t make it “weird” or “wrong”! Sackboy and Little Big Planet is like a virtual craft store with endless supplies. I DON’T want to imagine 20 years from now Sackboy not being there =( THRIVE in making Little Big Planet expand into Little Big Universe =D lol! KEEP MAKING DLC and packs and kits, and I WILL keep buying them to support your work and efforts! I have ALL LBP games, PSP, PSVita, and and all 3 LBP for PS3 games… ROCK ON MEDIA MOLECULE! =D I love your studio…it looks like parts of my house =]

DelicaGunz said: