PlayStation VR

Feb 08

Feb 08

Inside Skywalker Sound: Soul Sacrifice’s Battle Theme

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar Posted by Producer, SCEA

Soul Sacrifice on PS Vita

Back in December, we released a sneak-peek of the Skywalker Sound soundtrack recording video for Soul Sacrifice. As mentioned, the game’s soundtrack is composed by Yasunori Mitsuda and Wataru Hokoyama, two of the most recognized composers in the industry. Today. I’m excited to share a video introducing one of the scores Mitsuda-san composed:

Mitsuda-san was kind enough to provide us the following accompanying message:

“This was the very first battle music I composed, and I focused on making sure it fit the fighting theme of Soul Sacrifice. The battle style in this game is different from traditional RPGs and action games where the battles are not instantaneous, but rather extensive and you fight for a longer period of time. Within those battles, you will face all sorts of situations where you can have the upper hand, or be at a disadvantage. So, in order to match these dramatic sequences, I concentrated on adding many different elements to each piece in order to create an exciting musical composition. Soul Sacrifice is the type of game that will challenge you in all aspects. With that in mind, I challenged myself during the composition of the musical scores as well. I believe this game is something that people overseas, not only in Japan, will also enjoy. I hope everybody around the world will enjoy playing this game.”

Add Your Own

Gadirok said:

February 8th, 6:09 am

That was amazing!

Frejim said:

February 8th, 6:21 am

EPIC!!!!!

iriihutoR84 said:

February 8th, 6:22 am

Been a fan of him ever since Chrono Trigger so the announcements of the composers made me even more hyped about the game. Less than two months away!

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

Kumi Yuasa said:

February 8th, 11:23 am

Hi there! Thanks for your kind words. I’ll relay your comment to Mitsuda-san.
    The game will be released on 4/30. Thanks for your patience!

Conaaando said:

February 8th, 6:23 am

This looks really epic!

remanutd5 said:

February 8th, 6:24 am

This game looks too satanic to me so no im not getting it.

YungShep said:

February 8th, 6:28 am

2nd time Soul Sacrifice is talked about on the blog…and its relating to music….what about gameplay..

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

Kumi Yuasa said:

February 8th, 11:30 am

We’ll be coming back with more info about gameplay shortly. But we also wanted to share the spectacular music of the game. I’m sure it will make the Soul Sacrifice gaming experience so rich!

su43berkut17 said:

February 8th, 6:30 am

The wait is killing me, the soundtrack will be great as soon as I heard Yasunori Mitsuda as for the gameplay #6 you can play the japanese demo.

Gadirok said:

February 8th, 6:32 am

@YungShep
Try searching around the blog because they posted up a few videos earlier in the fall.

spoonTRex said:

February 8th, 6:50 am

That was awesome. :)

BlahBohogun said:

February 8th, 6:58 am

Too bad we can never throw our money at that Soul Sacrifice Limited Edition Vita.

From_Concentrate said:

February 8th, 7:02 am

April 30th can’t get here fast enough. Simply amazing.

jimmyfoxhound said:

February 8th, 7:10 am

Hi Kumi!! Def going to pick this game up, looks very good & I love the music I’m hearing here!

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

Kumi Yuasa said:

February 8th, 11:38 am

Thank you so much for your kind comment! Music is a great part of Soul Sacrifice. The team has put a lot of passions into this masterpiece and they’re working hard to deliver the game for us. Please check back as we’ll be releasing more info about the game!

IzoGray said:

February 8th, 7:16 am

I never watch stuff like this but I’m addicted to everything Soul Sacrifice. I already have my pre order paid off.

Please give us more multiplayer info and how long it takes to playthrough the game.

It’s WiFi Multiplayer right? Also, please give us a localized demo. The game is out in two months. I can’t wait.

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

Kumi Yuasa said:

February 8th, 12:14 pm

Hi there! Thank you for pre ordering the game! We’ll come back with more info about the game, so please stay tuned.

TomatoDragon said:

February 8th, 7:45 am

Mast excellent. Really looking forward to this game.

Butters360 said:

February 8th, 7:51 am

So epic. Reminds me of his Xenogears track “Awakening ~ Deus.” That’s just ONE of his pieces that make him so remarkable.

Christian399 said:

February 8th, 8:07 am

Have we sorted out the whole digital preorder business yet? Last I recall all those bonuses were only offered with a physical copy (including dual audio), which makes no sense.

TheExiled12894 said:

February 8th, 8:21 am

sounds really epic. can’t wait for this game

Elvick_ said:

February 8th, 8:47 am

@13: Yes it’s online…

@6: We’ve seen plenty, and there’s footage of people playing the Japanese demo on YouTube. If you cared enough, you’d look it up instead of derp around here waiting for something they’ve shown bits of already and that others have already taken the liberty of showing a lot of.

imaginw123 said:

February 8th, 9:06 am

Very Cool!

Cloud_X1 said:

February 8th, 9:23 am

@5 too “satanic” seriously?! You’re an idiot.

GhostMachine1 said:

February 8th, 9:57 am

I’m normally not really into RPG’s but I’ll get this game if there’s a demo and I like it. Ni No Kuni worked that way for me.

lisatsunami said:

February 8th, 10:22 am

Every time I see Skywalker Sound I say “yow”. Amazing video & that theme was fantastic, as great as any big budget movie. Thanks.

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

Kumi Yuasa said:

February 8th, 12:32 pm

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, the soundtrack of Soul Sacrifice has the feel of a traditional epic movie. I’m sure you will enjoy playing Soul Sacrifice with the magnificent music!

oZc-Gauss said:

February 8th, 10:43 am

@5

TODD FLANDERS DETECTED!

BlueBl1zzard said:

February 8th, 10:54 am

I’m was trying to expose myself to as little as possible about this game, but something made me want to check this video out. Glad I did, that was amazing! It reminded me of the first time I saw a video of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite in action. Good times :)

BlueBl1zzard said:

February 8th, 10:59 am

@Gadirok Wow I just realized your avatar is a tree. This whole time I thought it was some kind of nuclear bomb mushroom cloud thing lol

diablo103 said:

February 8th, 11:19 am

that was EPIC. Looking forward to this one. Sony please 1) make cheaper Vita memory cards & 2) make them with a greater amount of storage. Whoever at Sony thought 4gb of storage was enough should be fired. Hopefully that person/persons are not aiding in the development of PS4.

o3to16 said:

February 8th, 12:01 pm

when will the U.S see a demo of it please

boboMELOSHE said:

February 8th, 12:24 pm

Really looking forward to this, all ive been playing on the Vita is Disgaea and Allstars. I need something new haha.

Rukia said:

February 8th, 12:39 pm

Oh my! I’m still listening to the video and am very impressed at the high quality of sound. Music is one thing I really enjoy in games, i always buy anime and game soundtracks.

The music tells me this is going to be an amazing game, I think it’s time for me to pre-order!

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

Kumi Yuasa said:

February 8th, 5:55 pm

Thank you for your support. Glad you like this piece of music. Music definitely plays an integral part in video games. Just like some of the best movies, your experience relies on how well the visuals and music blend together. I’m sure you will enjoy Soul Sacrifice!

PrinceofXIII said:

February 8th, 1:07 pm

amazing stuff :D

it seems Mitsuda-san hasn’t changed one bit :P

thank you for the video, i await this release ^^

sdmf4ever said:

February 8th, 3:00 pm

MAGNIFICENT…AS ALWAYS!!! very reminiscent of Xenogears & Chrono Trigger! this game may actually cause me to purchase a Vita finally!! Let’s hope the gameplay is really up to par with the visuals & soundtrack!! crossing those fingers!!!

JeffsonP_US said:

February 8th, 4:05 pm

It is AMAZING! Can’t wait to get the game. Please give us demo soon, and a PS Store pre-order also!
Thanks for this game!

GMFCO311 said:

February 8th, 4:06 pm

WOW! Just amazing. I wish I was even just a lil bit as talented as anyone in that room! :)

Edzo04ps said:

February 8th, 4:23 pm

i sincerely hope this game will live up to the hype. sony seems to be pushing this game pretty hard in japan and over here

EggySong85 said:

February 8th, 5:14 pm

I live in Japan, but my Japanese is weak. Will the Japanese version of the game have English support? And what’s the best way to get Japanese DLC on an American account, or will the American DLC run on a Japanese card?

lisatsunami said:

February 8th, 5:23 pm

Hey, EggySong, the Vita, like the PSP, is locked to a single account. So you can’t mix content, at least not digital content. I think if you had a retail copy of the game, you could switch accts to get DLC, but you would also have to switch memory cards since those are what lock the content. There are many people here on the blog who switch between accts so hopefully someone who has experience will jump in.

enano_javi said:

February 8th, 8:46 pm

Wow!!! Im simply speechless… For me, music in a game is very very important. It has to go with the gameplay to make an awesome experience! I played the demo and I was soo addicted to it!! Even though it was short, I kept playing it over and over again! I love what this game is becoming, and it will obviously be a first in line buy for me! Finally the Vita will have a game true to its fans!!!

LeFabuleuxDeux said:

February 9th, 1:01 am

I suppose no news yet on the Soul Sacrifice pre order bonuses being possible on PSN? Either way, great theme. I’ve loved Mitsuda-san’s work in all his games, even if I didn’t like the games.

Garigandeljey said:

February 9th, 7:21 am

I’ve been really excited for this game since it was first teased in Japan. I cannot wait! Great music here. I’m also really glad that Keiji Inafune and team are showing the Vita the love and support it needs.

@ 23: LOL

vza004 said:

February 9th, 11:09 am

That was so epic!!!! Is there gonna be a limited edition to this?

KniightDRONE said:

February 9th, 12:15 pm

Im getting a vita for this game!

Blackstar131 said:

February 9th, 5:04 pm

any news on hantasy star online 2

Blackstar131 said:

February 9th, 5:05 pm

phantasy

EZaxess said:

February 9th, 7:59 pm

Love the music, very inspiring. I hope this game is getting as much care and love with the story as it’s doing the graphics and music.

January: Ni No Kuni
February: Fire Emblem Awakening
March: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Tomb Raider, God of War Ascension, BioShock Infinite
April: Soul Sacrifice
May: The Last of Us
June: Remember Me

Dragon Age III, Sacred 3, Phantasy Star Online 2, and much more… 2013’s looking good if you ask me and march will burn a hole in my pocket.

UltWarrior1 said: