Final Fantasy XV

Feb 15

Feb 15

PlayStation Evolution: The Beginning

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

PlayStation’s arrival to the world of gaming signaled a change in the status quo and a sign of things to come. The original PlayStation system emerged in 1994 in Japan as a dark horse challenger, a seemingly outgunned newcomer entering a crowded field dominated by legends of the 16-bit era. PlayStation’s advanced technology and innovative controller design won raves with critics and gamers, and in 1995, the system expanded to North America, Europe, and Australia. Accompanied by a powerful salvo of titles including WipEout, Crash Bandicoot, and Gran Turismo, PlayStation’s rapid rise marked the end of one era of videogames and the dawn of another. The world was never the same.

Be sure to visit our YouTube page in the coming days as we present the evolution of PlayStation and recap our greatest moments. Then, be the first to know on February 20th, 2013 at 6:00pm Eastern Time.

PlayStation Evolution: PlayStation 2

PlayStation Evolution: PlayStation 3

PlayStation Evolution: Portable Gaming

PlayStation Evolution: Games

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 5

Yawnier said:

February 15th, 3:17 pm

PS4 reveal incoming!

GET HYPE

utterlytech said:

February 15th, 3:19 pm

This Is basically a history lesson which means that they are doing this to get ready for the ps4 reveal.

Christian399 said:

February 15th, 3:19 pm

Can’t wait! Haven’t been this excited for a product for years.

I expect full Gaikai integration and some measure of BC, btw. And I don’t think that I’m alone in that. Plus, proper remote-play (as was once advertised then completely redacted) for the PS3/PS4/ Vita. The next-gen hardware should be powerful enough to handle it, and hackers have already got it up and running for ANY PS3 game on a hacked PSP, so get on board Sony.

Next-gen will go to whoever opens up their walled garden to do the things that consumers can already do on your basic smart device. Add in Sony’s AAA game studios and you have indie support, 3rd party support and another PS2 era on your hands!

Viva Le PlayStation!

UncannySilk said:

February 15th, 3:21 pm

Backwards.
Compatibility.

I will pay $1000 to play all of my PS3 titles on your newfangled device, Sony.

cool_trainer said:

February 15th, 3:22 pm

OH SNAP SON. Can’t wait.

GeoDarky said:

February 15th, 3:23 pm

Sony we are ready to evolve with you, bring it on!

snakeeyes211 said:

February 15th, 3:24 pm

:-) :-) :-)
I love being a PlayStation fan

aro52 said:

February 15th, 3:25 pm

“…smart and provocative marketing campaign…”

Ahhh. Those were the days!

T3DV0L70L1N4 said:

February 15th, 3:25 pm

Please let the PS4 be backwards compatible (in some way) with PS3 games, and PS2 & PS1 classics.

Please don’t completely block used games.

Please keep gimmicks (touch screens, motion controls, share button, etc) off the PS4 controller. If you must add that stuff, at least also make a “gamer controller” that’s just includes the standard controls. Or, you know, just let us use our DualShock 3’s on it.

Christian399 said:

February 15th, 3:26 pm

@ UncannySilk,

IF they are clever, they’ll use Gaikai to implement a streaming solution across ALL PlayStation devices. Bingo-bango, instant remote-play AND backwards compatibility. You’d have to keep your old hardware, but I’d assume that the PS4 could do a nice upscale on a local network.

Ouren said:

February 15th, 3:26 pm

I hope the thing at least has PS1-PS2 bc.
I have so many PS3 games and downloads that having all of that left behind would be tragic.

snakeeyes211 said:

February 15th, 3:26 pm

Sid I have one question I think you could answer is the blog site going to have a live stream??

Conaaando said:

February 15th, 3:29 pm

Sniff, sniff… I smell a new Playstation coming! IS THIS REAL LIFE?

T3DV0L70L1N4 said:

February 15th, 3:29 pm

Seriously, with God of War Ascension, the Last of Us, and GTA5 all coming out this year, how can the PS4 not be backwards compatible?

Kchow23 said:

February 15th, 3:32 pm

So much excitement!!! Microsoft’s worst nightmare has arrived :P

Elvick_ said:

February 15th, 3:32 pm

I would pay up to $200 extra for a special b/c model, since I know PS2 and PS3 b/c won’t come cheap like PSone. I want a system to play all PS console games. Call it a Legacy Edition or something.

kivi95 said:

February 15th, 3:33 pm

Don’t really care about backward compaibility. That being said hopefully stuff bought on psn will be functional on the ps4.

Corbie said:

February 15th, 3:33 pm

If its Backwards compatible at all, I would not expect anything more than PS1 and PS2 compatibility. I cant imagine shoving PS3 capable hardware into a brand new system would be cheap, nor would I think software emulation of PS3 would be all that easy. Although I would certainly welcome it if it could be done GOOD.

T3DV0L70L1N4 said:

February 15th, 3:33 pm

Please keep the ability to upgrade the hard drive.

Please take full advantage of the Vita and have some sort of seamless integration.

davitpr said:

February 15th, 3:34 pm

Microsoft and Nintendo: Don’t worry cleaning the crap from your pants, there’s a lot more coming out of your butt in the next week.

Tchanku said:

February 15th, 3:34 pm

Woo HOo!

Mobius2525 said:

February 15th, 3:35 pm

Can’t wait for ps4!

Xcaligamer1 said:

February 15th, 3:36 pm

been sorta “ehh” about the rumors but i gotta admit that i got excited w this. btw playstation needs more polygon man

DuoMaxwell007 said:

February 15th, 3:37 pm

The fact that theyre doing the Evolution of Playstation up to the days of the event proves its a PS4 annoucement

lPHOENIXZEROl said:

February 15th, 3:39 pm

Guess we’re ignoring that the Playstation initially started life as a CD add-on for the SNES? Also, is it a good idea to remind people how awesome your advertising/marketing use to be? I miss the aggressiveness and that’s a big part why Sony has floundered this generation. Sony hasn’t had a good, memorable advertising campaign since the PS2’s PS9 ad.

The only way the PS4 will be backward compatible is if Sony includes at least Cell in the PS4 and odds of that happening are next to zero since it raises costs for something that few will use and if that cost were to go anywhere it’d be better suited elsewhere. The only other option will be Gaikai but that doesn’t really count. The PS4 will not have anywhere close to the raw horse power to emulate the architectural nightmare that is the PS3 via just software, just as the PS3 doesn’t have the processing power to properly emulate the PS2. Before some one says it, no the PS2 games on the PS Store are not emulated, they’re recompiled to run on the PS3 which is one reason why there’s so few. The more complex the hardware the harder it is to emulate.

bayouboyz said:

February 15th, 3:40 pm

Ok, I see how this is going to work.

Today – PS1
Saturday- PS2
Sunday – PSP
Monday – PS3
Tuesday – PS Vita
WEDNESDAY – PS4!

JKar275 said:

February 15th, 3:41 pm

I’m hoping for a AAA sci-fi underwater shooter game on the PS4!!!

Please make the PS4 affordable for most people, Sony.

TapperDD said:

February 15th, 3:42 pm

PS4 TROLLS!!!! Ahhhhh!!! You’re killing me Kaz!!!

MakoSOLIDER said:

February 15th, 3:51 pm

Man, I can’t wait!!!

Gadirok said:

February 15th, 3:52 pm

Lets keep the hype train rolling guys! The G4 video on the Sony Playstation is also phenomenal! Check it out

sinta0531 said:

February 15th, 3:54 pm

PS4? Will this event be televised in the US?

jgrizzle358 said:

February 15th, 3:55 pm

the PS4 and Xbox 720 will most likely NOT be backwards compatible due to technical limitations and the online pass will be turned into something bigger and more retarded… used game pass. The new systems are rumored to lock out used games unless you buy a pass that ties the game to your system.

if this turns out to be true, I may actually hold off on buying them, and I hope to God the rest of the gamers are intelligent enough to do the same. If enough smart people refuse to buy the new systems then maybe, just maybe, the companies will realize their mistake, and fix it.

jgrizzle358 said:

February 15th, 3:56 pm

the PS4 and Xbox 720 will most likely NOT be backwards compatible due to technical limitations and the online pass will be turned into something bigger and more stupid… used game pass. The new systems are rumored to lock out used games unless you buy a pass that ties the game to your system.

snakeeyes211 said:

February 15th, 3:56 pm

I am PS4!!! ;-)

Nevi901 said:

February 15th, 4:00 pm

How can you people have the nerve of showcasing Crash Bandicoot when you can´t even secure it on Vita?! ¬¬

mcbuttz78 said:

February 15th, 4:04 pm

if they do show ps4 . it will not b/c becuase all the games will be online no need to have that option.. they are heavly invested in online and digital.. everything fazes out over sometime, cassete tape anyone??.

Mcbuttz78
vp-psn legioniaree group

Jotamide said:

February 15th, 4:05 pm

Hype levels increasing!

DeathGazer said:

February 15th, 4:06 pm

HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nv_Los said:

February 15th, 4:07 pm

HOLY SHI-TAKU MUSHROOMS ITS HAPPENING, PS4!!!
TO.. MUCH…KAZIFICATION!!!

KwietStorm said:

February 15th, 4:08 pm

Hype meter building

nsnsmj said:

February 15th, 4:09 pm

Hype levels reaching critical mass. Self-destruction imminent.

jimmyfoxhound said:

February 15th, 4:13 pm

What is going on?????

WICKEDGHOST187 said:

February 15th, 4:25 pm

Why don’t you put the Live Stream of the Playstation event onto the XMB. We all know that SONY will show off the new system.

DanielSouza- said:

February 15th, 4:25 pm

@26, well thought. I Thinking it will be this way too,

IIL0YDII said:

February 15th, 4:30 pm

Reminds me again that there’s no Tekken 3 on PSN

VincentVendetta said:

February 15th, 4:33 pm

There’s also that part about Sony and Nintendo screwing each other over, but no one likes to talk about it.

ZaGe-zAiKaNo said:

February 15th, 4:35 pm

So there’s a high chance everything will be downloadable from now on huh? I really like buying hard copies though :<

Anddo said:

February 15th, 4:37 pm

Oh boy! Getting excited. Straight into my veins! I can’t wait :) :)

Pabloo1010 said:

February 15th, 4:44 pm

Alllllll Aboooooarrrrrddd! The Hype Train has no brakes!!!

GravyOnTheFries said:

February 15th, 4:47 pm

With Gaikai, they can give us Playstation backwards compatibility, sure. But why not consider Wii, XBox, 360, and 720, as well? Heck, it could play iOS and Wii U games when a PS4 is paired with a Vita.

PAGE 1 2 3 5