Knack 2

Feb 20

Feb 20

Diablo III Coming to PS3 and PS4

Frank Pearce's Avatar Posted by Co-Founder & Chief Development Officer, Blizzard

Now that Diablo’s out of the bag, I just want to say that we’re stoked to be bringing Diablo III over to PlayStation. We got our start in console games, and a bunch of us, myself included, have been looking forward to this day for a very long time.

We’re putting a lot of work into doing Diablo III right for PS3 and PS4. All of the upgrades we’ve made to the PC version since launch will be included. On top of that, we’re completely redeveloping the interface, controls, and camera so that the traditional Diablo hack-and-slash, loot-collecting, dungeon-crawl feels natural and fun with a controller in your hands.

I know a lot of people will have a lot of questions about the game, and we look forward to getting into all of that as development progresses. For now, I just want to say thanks to all of you who kept pushing us to get back to console, and please come check out the game at PAX East if you’re in Boston in late March.

Add Your Own

supercmen said:

February 20th, 7:09 pm

wow

joaryche said:

February 20th, 7:11 pm

welcome blizzard to playstation nation

alph0x said:

February 20th, 7:40 pm

can users who purchased this game through battle.net play it on PS3/PS4?

icurafuse said:

February 20th, 7:43 pm

Did you guys ever consider the Vita? Playing the PS1 version of Diablo on a handheld is still very enjoyable.

Realsvi said:

February 20th, 7:44 pm

Cool. Looking forward to it.

duke301 said:

February 20th, 8:22 pm

This is good news. Since I got my PS3, I have been doing all of my gaming on it, and I doubt my PC will even run Diablo III. I’m glad to be able to play it on my PS3. Any word on a tentative release date?

Lasdrub said:

February 20th, 8:24 pm

I know you can’t give a lot of details, but I wanted to say that I’m very excited about this release. I own the PC version and I’ll buy the PS3 or PS4 version whenever it comes out. My only concern is being able to play on PS4 if I buy on PS3, since it seems likely that the PS3 version will come out first based on what was said on Gametrailers after the announcement. I guess it’s too early to speculate about that, though.

I’ve played just about every loot-driven dungeon crawler available with my wife. We even got into PSO on Gamecube and Baldur’s Gate on PS2. Diablo 3 will be the best game possible for us to play together. This is a dream announcement for us. Thank you for making this decision!

Elvick_ said:

February 20th, 8:40 pm

Definitely considering this for PS4. :3

Insomnia999 said:

February 20th, 9:13 pm

Great to see you guys in the console space!

YuuP-NuuH said:

February 20th, 9:20 pm

SPYstation4 is not for me but if the price is right i will check it out on ps3

mclovinrocks said:

February 20th, 10:13 pm

blizzard I am a huge fan of diablo and other games you make I knew you could not stay away from console forever take as much time as you need to work on this game and the day it comes out I hope I can buy it from the psn store on day one again THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU NEVER LET ME DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

TurismoM3 said:

February 20th, 10:56 pm

That’s really awesome. Thanks Blizzard.

califoreigner said:

February 20th, 11:27 pm

i might have missed it, but is this one going to be a sony exclusive?

Barborah_FL said:

February 21st, 12:55 am

very good decision :)

CaptnBrainslide said:

February 21st, 1:14 am

Cool. My big worry is that the DRM of needing to be constantly online even in single-player will persist even on consoles, that is what kept me away from considering ever getting the PC version. My router/internet connection goes down far too often for that to be anything but a non-starter, and even if that wasn’t the case it’s an invasive idea that shouldn’t be needed at all in any circumstances on a closed platform like a console.

But I am glad Blizzard is developing for consoles again. Warcraft 2 and Diablo on the PS1 were actually better games than the PC versions in certain ways, perhaps to make up for the hassles of using a controller rather than a mouse. Speaking of which, it would be nice if those PS1 games could be added to the Classics library on PSN, it should make you a bit of easy cash.

IcedDice777 said:

February 21st, 3:15 am

If “ALWAYS ONLINE” DRM is forced on us even in single player and/or couch co-op Then… No Thank you.

Keep Diablo 3’s always online Drm the hell (No pun intended) away from consoles.
My .02

LRock414 said:

February 21st, 5:04 am

WOW. Just WOW. And also…WoW? ;)

YungShep said:

February 21st, 6:43 am

DIABLO 1 WAS THE REASON I BOUGHT A PLAYSTATION……………….WELCOME BACK GUYS…… I’VE MISSED YOU SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH

KidCommando said:

February 21st, 10:39 am

Damn, Blizzard sure is getting a lot of heat from the PC crowd about this!

I have never played a Diablo game before, so I am definitely excited to hear more about part 3 on PS3.

gravislord said:

February 21st, 10:57 am

Go go Dual-Stick running / shooting love! :)

papolatte said:

February 21st, 11:37 am

Diablo 3 is an okay game, but had so many issues with it that made me quit playing it. The difficulty level pretty much forces you to spend real money in the auction house, when you get to harder difficulties.

The couch co-op is pretty awesome, but I won’t be buying this game again unless it retails for like 20 bucks.

FullMetalGear said:

February 21st, 11:46 am

I had fun with Diablo 3, think I had spent 100+ hours just on my Wizard but from time to time my PC didn’t seem to run it perfectly as I hoped. I’ll be keeping an eye out for this, especially if there is trophies. :)

To be honest, I almost flipped when I saw Chris Metzen on stage, but deep down inside I knew it was going to be this announcement. I was hoping for something that hasn’t been released, like StarCraft Ghost. Either way though, I’m interested in what the future holds for Blizzard on consoles. Hopefully more console experiences. Only reason I have a gaming PC is for Blizzard games.

igorrocks2 said:

February 21st, 12:09 pm

@2 lol Blizzard Entertainment has big and wealthy history with PlayStation.. in Fact diablo made for this platform the 2nd time Core old timers especially from EU know what I I am talking about I spend years Playing WarCraft II and Diablo on PlayStation :) Welcome back old friend WELCOME BACK ! Oh those memories true honor to support you SONY especially at moments when yo just don’t let good times go away

igorrocks2 said:

February 21st, 12:15 pm

Blizzard bring RTS bag to consoles yet again PLEASE No one does it better then you on consoles

Hitokiri_03 said:

February 21st, 1:00 pm

Welcome back to consoles Blizzard :)

Lasdrub said:

February 21st, 1:23 pm

If you also release it on Vita, I’ll buy it 3 times ;)

Aeyora said:

February 21st, 4:04 pm

Great! but will we be able to port our characters from our PC accounts? I’ve spent so many hours of gameplay there and I don’t want to start all over again.

lasmen01 said:

February 21st, 4:08 pm

its just gona get ruined again by the real money AH. there prolly planing on making you start over even if u have a pc version and re useing the real money ah since its pretty much dead now and make more money again on ps3 release and then the ps4 one also. and if they don’t make it always drm online they must first get rid of pc’s always online drm also. so high doubts about that

Shugo-PNM said:

February 21st, 9:39 pm

I have to say that it was a surprise that Diablo 3 was coming to PS4, not to mention PS3! I think that it is going to be an amazing game to spend countless hours on :D

I’m worried, though, because if the DRM persists on PS3, that could be a huge problem, taking into account that my internet conection is not as fast and stable as I want to, so… If that is taken out from PS3, you can count me in :P

Kchow23 said:

February 22nd, 12:34 am

Not a fan of Diablo at all, but I really enjoy the other Blizzard games… would’ve been amazing if it was a new IP for PS4.

joefranco85 said:

February 22nd, 9:59 am

Blizzard and playstation together, a dream come true xD

JamesTSkywalker said:

February 24th, 1:34 pm

Great to have you back in the console space. Looking forward to hearing if other properties will be making their way to PS4 as well.

xInS4n3_SiCK0x said:

February 24th, 1:43 pm

WILL DIABLO 3 SUPPORT MOUSE & KEYBOARD ON THE PS3 OR PS4????

Czance said:

February 24th, 2:38 pm

PLEASE work on including combo coop (2 local + 1-2 online!)…

Drezzak said:

February 24th, 3:12 pm

@xlns4n3_SiCK0x the whole reason why they are making diablo 3 for the console is to get rid of the mouse and keyboard. if you want to use mouse and keyboard use the pc.

I just hope when we download it, they will somehow integrate battle.net onto PSN that way we can still use our characters. Though i wouldn’t mind starting over and trying it on the console

Tarutan21 said:

February 24th, 4:10 pm

Let me guess, we gotta buy the game all over again for $60 even though we already own the game on PC, am I right?

Mr-Optimism said:

February 24th, 4:11 pm

Man! I remember playing Diablo on the PSX as a kid. I can’t wait for couch co-op again! One important question is this; will there be cross-play with PC and PSN players? Or will it be PSN only?

Tarutan21 said:

February 24th, 4:12 pm

I think Blizzard will be much more involved with the console in the future. One of the features in the PS4 console will be the ability to play digital content before the download is completed.

That is a feature Blizzard introduced to WoW with their Cataclysm expansion, so I think they are working with playstation developers right now and sharing that with them hehe.

massstter said:

February 24th, 6:15 pm

Oh yeah, I’ve played the first 2 and i’ve been waiting for a long time for it on Playstation, FINALY!!!

Sh13579uail said:

February 24th, 6:28 pm

I’ll consider it for PS4.

EMPDEERE said:

February 24th, 6:28 pm

FIRST DIABLO THEN WOW!! totaly would play it on a console. they should even consider cross platform gaming for same titled games their all talking about future so just some ideas!

kanaku09 said:

February 24th, 8:29 pm

As many have said Diablo 3 is an okay game, beat it once got bored was sick of the grind fest that is blizzard.

kambal_21 said:

February 24th, 11:33 pm

When is the release date? I NEED IT =D

Myspace110 said:

February 25th, 2:01 am

well the first diablo was on the original playstation so i guess this makes sence add co-op like 2 player

Sum-Mischief said:

February 27th, 1:59 pm

This is really a great move… You have my support

DJ-Vizum said:

March 2nd, 9:32 pm

well i got the game on my mac but i can’t wait to play it on my (future) PS4 :p i won’t buy for my PS3 since i already have it for my mac. But anyway can’t wait!

trailhop said:

March 15th, 6:24 pm

LOVE that Diable 3 for Play Station 3/4 console will be available. Can’t wait. Love Diablo 1 and still play it now and then, even though it’s waaay outdated. I work at computers so I prefer console gaming.