Farpoint

Feb 20

Feb 20

Racing Evolves on PlayStation 4 with Driveclub

Matt Southern's Avatar Posted by Game Director, Evolution Studios

When I joined Evo nine years ago, the first concept I worked on was for a racing game that was all about racing with friends. It combined the best cars (and they would have to be real ones), on the most breathtaking roads in the world, with gameplay that was totally focused on team-based racing.

I loved the job from day one.

The game was all about utter car passion. It was about connecting people who are as in love with car culture as we are, and creating a universe for these impassioned racers to all play together. We created web design concepts that showed how you could connect with people and access your club when you were away from the living room, and we created prototypes of the most immersive, detailed vehicle interiors and exteriors possible.

Except…they weren’t possible. Our concept was simple, but needed a socially connected network and audiovisual technology that wasn’t available.

When we knew PlayStation 4 was coming, we realised that the time was right to make the Driveclub dream a reality. It was time to combine nearly 15 years of racing game pedigree and a rapidly evolving, connected gaming landscape – this seed of an idea was ready to be realized and the buzz at Evo was unstoppable.

So what did we do?

We expanded our vehicle handling and design team so that together, we have over 50 years’ experience working on the most prestigious racing titles out there, including – WRC, Formula 1, Gran Turismo, MotorStorm, WipEout, Project Gotham Racing, GRID 2 and many more.

We used our PlayStation Vita launch game as a bridge between MotorStorm and Driveclub, testing our theories about connecting social networks with asynchronous challenge-based racing on multiple devices at the same time. It worked really well.

We collaborated with the best car companies in the world, working with them to create the most detailed and authentic car interiors and exteriors possible. The result is staggeringly immersive and visceral. This isn’t cockpit view; this is first-person-racing.

And now, almost a decade later, we’re finally making the game we’ve always wanted to make. It’s time to share our passion, to show you the first glimpse of Driveclub and we can’t wait to show you more.

Add Your Own

Insomnia999 said:

February 20th, 6:07 pm

Looks awesome! Great conference!
More gameplay would be nice! Is this more arcade(motorstorm) or simulation(gran turismo)?

Need more info on PS4 UI and online features.
Also Gaikai/Playstation Cloud info. Can we play all the games on other devices?

remanutd5 said:

February 20th, 7:19 pm

Im kinda sad that you guys didnt develop Motorstorm on ps4 and as of right now im not feeling the game that much, looks too similar to Gran Turismo but i will keep an open mind and try it first, no more Lunatics :(

Tarheel_Mark said:

February 20th, 7:27 pm

Your move, Polyphony

remanutd5 said:

February 20th, 7:37 pm

Btw i really loved Matt’s enthusiasm when presenting the game.

Aidzzz69 said:

February 20th, 7:42 pm

I wonder if it will ever be as good as FORZA 4 for the xbox…because Grand Turismo is straight garbage compared to Forza

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

February 20th, 7:47 pm

Career mode?

KAPADO said:

February 20th, 7:57 pm

Now this blew me away and I am not a racing fan, but the sweet First Person perspective made my cry for my mother . Take my money now Sony.

that-acmilan-guy said:

February 20th, 8:07 pm

I am incredibly excited about this, so you guys have people from Polyphony working on it as well? Wish it has tons of cars from type possible. What sold for me is that finally a racing game that not only has beautiful open roads, but emphasis on racing and driving with friends instead of just racing with random people.

BlueBl1zzard said:

February 20th, 8:34 pm

Not gonna lie, I was expecting a motorstorm when I heard Evolution Studios, but after seeing the Driveclub presentation, this is one of the games I’m most excited for. The graphics are amazing, I love what y’all are doing with the first person perspective, and the connectivity, even on other devices like tablets, is very cool. Can’t wait guys!

Insomnia999 said:

February 20th, 8:58 pm

Wow…
Hopefully you guys are a launch title!

Jotamide said:

February 20th, 10:19 pm

This one looks pretty sick!

JuanJohnJerry said:

February 20th, 10:34 pm

JERRY SMASH PUNY RACERS!!!

TurismoM3 said:

February 20th, 11:01 pm

Looks pretty cool, but I really want GT6 too.

starBlinky01 said:

February 21st, 2:53 am

This is one of the games I didn’t really get. There are other facing games out there that let you play with your friends. I don’t see the vision for this game yet.. I am really confused..

Also you mentioned having a race with 1000 people? Is that all at the same time? err. I’m just overall really confused about this game, it sounds like a regular racing game with an online multiplayer component.. :S

tiger61378 said:

February 21st, 4:14 am

Looks great…but I have one good question. Is this going to be something on the lines of the Test Drive Unlimited franchise, where you can get out & walk around, and drive pretty much anywhere you want…or is it going to be more like showing up to a track meet where you can wander around the garage, look at the cars, then go out on a closed course? Plus, what kind of physics are you using, sim or arcade? If its like TDU2, but with sim physics…oh, sorry, gotta change my pants after thinking about that!

Heavenly_king said:

February 21st, 4:52 am

Killzone: Launch title intended to move US hardware
Drive Club: Launch title intended to move EU hardware
Infamous: Launch title intended to provide variate to the launch, and an exclusive of course
3rd Party: Intended to show you how much the console has improved in relation to the PS3

So far it looks to me that it will have a solid launch, but I really think that Uncharted 4 would be a deal maker for most people.

I am buying it day one, but considering how amazing Uncharted 3 is, I cant wait for Uncharted 4 for the PS4.

LRock414 said:

February 21st, 4:59 am

It’s honestly been a long while since I bought a racing game, but this will break the drought. Looks great, and can’t wait for it. :)

IrishDude2 said:

February 21st, 6:31 am

Would this game feature any kind of co-op? Would be nice to have a car game that allows a 2 vs 2 race or 3 vs 3, etc or even let a buddy hop into the car

SLY12 said:

February 21st, 9:19 am

I thought the video was going to be longer. Does anyone know when the videos of all the game demos will appear on the PS store?

TwinDad said:

February 21st, 10:41 am

I’m going to need to play a demo. Motorstorm looked fantastic. The game play was okay, physics are way too arcade mode and the AI drivers are not realistic.

mcbuttz78 said:

February 21st, 12:08 pm

Not bad . seems like they took a page out of test driveunlimited 2 game, but beefeed it up . Tdu2 is very unrated good game..

Im not much into sim racers like that. But i dont say you guys did a hell of job.!!

Mcbuttz78
vp- psn legionairee group

speedm222 said:

February 21st, 12:44 pm

ccccccccccooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Wrecklesss said:

February 21st, 2:03 pm

I hope this game is, what I think it is!

Mobius2525 said:

February 21st, 4:17 pm

This will have to hold me over til GT6

lyfestory said:

February 21st, 5:11 pm

looks nice and all, but racing with friends?? blah… not interested… this whole social aspect of gaming isn’t my cup of tea….

BigBangBear said:

February 21st, 6:20 pm

Looks great. Really enjoyed GT5 and racing online with friends and convinced a few to buy that or a PS3 just to play. This looks like it is right up our alley.

DaNTi3L said:

February 21st, 6:34 pm

i like where this is going i love the concept…polyphony digital step your game up lol

Kchow23 said:

February 22nd, 12:32 am

Very interesting idea behind this game… and a rather different direction for Evolution Studios

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

February 22nd, 4:48 am

IM NOT BUYING THIS SYSTEM TILL THEY DECIDE TO ALLOW US TO PLAY OUR PLAYSTATION 3 GAMES ON IT..THIS IS A SLAP IN THE FACE TO THE LOYAL FANS ON PLAYSTATION. A NEXT GEN SYSTEM WITH NO BACKWARDS CAPABILITIES..IS NOT A FULL NEXT GEN…IMO..WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO ACCESS ALL OUR OLD GAMES THAT WE PURCHASED…BESIDES HOW DARE YA RELEASE A NEW SYSTEM THE SAME YEAR YOU HAVE 3 EXCLUSIVE GAMES BEING RELEASED!!! (GOW:A, LAST OF US, MEATL GEAR GROUND ZERO…SMH..AND BTW THE CONTROLLER DOESNT NEED A TOUCH PAD..IT NEEDS A TOUCH SCREEN!!..AND RELEASING IT BEFORE XBOX NEW SYSTEM..SORRY YA’LL BUT PS4 IS LOOKING LIKE AN EPIC FAIL TO ME..AND IM A DIE HEARD SONY PLAYSTATION FAN MAN..

onslaughtree said:

February 22nd, 7:22 am

@29 If you watched the press conf you would see that they spoke of the ps4 not playing ps3 games, but instead they may use the cloud. Here is a quote from Dave Perry ” The PlayStation Network and the cloud can present an additional value to PlayStation gamers. (…) Although PS3 titles aren’t natively supported on the PS4, we’re exploring some very unique opportunities enabled by cloud technology, with the long-term vision of making PS3 games ubiquitous on any device; the technology is so advanced that someday we could easily put PS1/PS2/PS3 and the PS Mobile games on any device, including the PS4…so it looks like we will be able to carry over our psn & ps3 content in some fashion. we ay hear more in the months to come.

onslaughtree said:

February 22nd, 7:32 am

@29 (1) And also, GOW/ Last of US are both coming both before may, so that leaves over 6 months of sales to gather before ps4 is released. If you look at the ps2, that console sold very well after the ps3 was released. some gamers just do not make the next gen jump right away.
(2) speaking of Ground Zeros, sony may pull a Sleeping Dogs and release Ground Zeros on both ps3 and ps4 just like they will do with sleeping dogs.
(3) and if your a playstation fan you should know that the one thing sony did wrong last gen was to let 360 have a 1 year head start before the ps3 was released, seems like they will not let that happen this gen.

onslaughtree said:

February 22nd, 7:50 am

I think this game has allot of potential. If you look at COD as an example, you have clans and allot of team based games that gamers take very seriously, then now we have the new Uncharted 3’s tournament mode where gamers are putting up crazy team scores every week. I love cars myself and love the Motorstorm series and if I can get maybe 3 or 4 of my friends to purchase this game, we will sure as hell clan up and try our best to dominate the charts. Im looking forward to seeing some in game footage of this game in the near future….

BlueBl1zzard said:

February 22nd, 7:38 pm

@31onslaughtree you mean Watch Dogs is coming to PS3 and PS4 .

Revolver1118 said:

February 25th, 10:03 am

looks like a good title, but i feel like its missing something……………

Sacredpham97 said:

February 25th, 12:32 pm

They are gonna make it way too expensive.

PSmayhemfan316 said:

March 13th, 6:36 pm

driveclub-evo’s gran turismo.

ruddigator said:

March 14th, 6:28 am

Evolution Studios launches new game called Drivelclub.