Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

Mar 25

Mar 25

Primal Carnage: Genesis Bringing Dinosaurs to PS4

Ashton Andersen's Avatar Posted by Founder / Game Director, Lukewarm Media

At some point, everyone has wondered about what it was like to walk among the dinosaurs. We were wondering that for ourselves, so we’ve set out to develop Primal Carnage: Genesis. What better way is there to realize that dream than a new generation of PlayStation hardware to drive an incredible immersive experience?

From towering behemoths like the brachiosaurus and the tyrannosaurus rex to smaller creatures like the velociraptor and the dilophosaurus, there is no doubt that there is something magical about the creatures of the prehistoric world. In order to capture that magic in real time, we used Unreal Engine 4 as our software platform of choice. As the gameplay itself will feature a mix of linear gameplay and open-world exploration from a first-person human perspective, next-generation rendering is key to selling the lush island environment and suspending the disbelief that these dinosaurs aren’t actually, well, real.

Primal Carnage Genesis on PS4

Primal Carnage Genesis on PS4 Primal Carnage Genesis on PS4

In the early stages of development, it became clear that we wanted Primal Carnage: Genesis to champion an immersive story driven experience. How do we tell that story? We looked into several different storytelling methods and happened upon the episodic approach. It was a difficult decision for us, given the relative newness of episodic storytelling.

Ultimately, the episodic method ended up being the clear victor due to the versatile nature of creating a story episode by episode. It allows us a lot of wiggle room, because one unique advantage of the episodic model is the ability for player feedback from the first episode to affect the development of the following episodes. Do players want to see more of a certain mechanic? Maybe people didn’t like playing a certain segment of the game, thus steering our focus elsewhere.

We hope you enjoyed getting a sneak peak of Primal Carnage: Genesis. We’d love to hear what you think, so drop us a comment below! Keep an eye out on the Playstation blog for more updates from us. We will have a lot more to talk about in the future as development continues.

Dinosaurs are back.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

ZaGe-zAiKaNo said:

March 25th, 6:59 pm

O M G! Is this a first person experience!? It looks really goood. Woah, dinosaurs, i’m in. ^ ^

Feisar said:

March 25th, 7:04 pm

This is absolutely dinoriffic looking. Just dinocredible!

Dino.

tusunami said:

March 25th, 7:06 pm

This is definitely a interesting concept, I’ll have to look into this more.

SiLENT_BMS said:

March 25th, 7:11 pm

Interesting! Looks epic but what kind of game will it end up being? The Jurassic episodes was cool and all but it lacked open-world exploration. Is it an FPS? Either way I love dinosaurs and this preview looked sweet.

Ryu-Sama- said:

March 25th, 7:12 pm

Nice!

Redikol said:

March 25th, 7:13 pm

Looks very cool! Color me intrigued.

xRollz said:

March 25th, 7:21 pm

Looks like dinosaurs are making a comeback.

Berae said:

March 25th, 7:24 pm

At first I thought it was Primal Rage on genesis lol that would have been awesome. This game will do it too tho lol it looks interesting from that video.

Zarxce said:

March 25th, 7:25 pm

Finally! An answer for all those people who wondered “What if Houdini was a dinosaur…?”

Cool trailer, and I’m totally down with episodic story telling. It’s perfect for getting a great story but not having to devote 20 hours of time into a game all at once. My only concern is that if they’re taking feedback after each episode in order to change the next episode, will that mean long turn around times between episodes?

I realize it’s very demanding for the dev team, but 1 month between each episode is the ideal pace to keep in order for me to stay interested and not just forget/lose interest. That was probably my only real gripe with the Walking Dead game. I wound up putting off playing most eps so I could play all at once towards the end. And after 6 months or so I forgot bits of the story or characters from the previous episode. It took away from the overall experience.

Ticalis said:

March 25th, 7:25 pm

Looks Good!

MarinoBrea said:

March 25th, 7:28 pm

Didn’t show anything…you can’t even tell this is for a game. But OK, I guess.

DracoBlade712 said:

March 25th, 7:35 pm

I absolutely love dinosaurs (who doesn’t) Just want to say I have the up most optimism for the future of this title and will be watching the development of the game closely. Cant wait to hear about narrative details! There is a vacuum of dinosaur-based games in our medium that are actually WELL-MADE but, visually speaking, your team are nailing it, authentically capture what makes dinosaurs so compelling: their majesty balanced with magnitude, sheer ferocity. Hopefully you guys can finally make a game that not only engages with great gameplay/story but does the lizards justice too! Really want you guys to succeed! Best of luck!

Karkian said:

March 25th, 7:35 pm

Dinosaurs are awesome, it’s a shame there aren’t a lot of games with them. Will definitely keep an eye on this.

noctepes said:

March 25th, 7:38 pm

Look dinosaur make me remember to Dino Crisis

Rockefellow said:

March 25th, 7:41 pm

This looks fantastic, and I’m intrigued to read the thought process behind it. I’m a bit concerned with your reasoning behind the episodic approach, however; if you were to logically develop the games at the pace indicated by your intentions, it seems there’d be quite a gap between the installments of each episode.

grinder-12_L said:

March 25th, 7:42 pm

1. Dinosaurs!
2. First-person!
3. Open world!
4. Houdini Tyrannosaurus!
5. DINOSAURS!!

XxCrunkXcrayonxX said:

March 25th, 7:43 pm

Looks pretty legit! Maybe it might end like Turok or maybe something more?

kermit_criminal said:

March 25th, 7:49 pm

Nice concept but why would they have a Trex glassed in liquid like this was promethius or the matrix instead of raised from an embryo like dolly the sheep?

dylantalon said:

March 25th, 7:49 pm

i cant wait to play this game and im quite sure it will be amazing if its being made by a sony 1st party studio. i would love another Afrika game by sony with a lot more to do like taking care of hurt animals and a lot more. Afrika is an amazing game and i know a sequel would be amazing.

anyway, i cant wait for primal carnage and the ps4. take my money now sony because ill be spending over a thousand quid first day on two ps4 for me and my girlfriend with a lot of the launch titles.

ps. please add backwards compatibility for ps1,ps2 and ps3 on ps4 because ill pay whatever it costs. if it doesnt ill be ok also, its a ps4 thatll be able to play killzone shadow fall.

jchill001 said:

March 25th, 7:53 pm

we all saw jurassic park, so we know this is not gunna end well

BlooodyCow said:

March 25th, 7:54 pm

DINOSAURS!!
OH YEAH….man, the PS4 launch lineup is already looking killer.
All we need now is some WRPG and JRPG…oh and inFamous: Second Son

saintaqua said:

March 25th, 8:06 pm

I’m excited, but as much as I love Jurassic Park, I hope you don’t copy it too much.
I noticed your dino list includes four of the most popular from that franchise.
I’d rather see some less known ones and instead of those puny little Velociraptors, maybe Deinonychus (since that’s what the ones in JP really are anyway).
I do like Brachiosaurus and Dilophosaurus though.

XeahuleXolic said:

March 25th, 8:08 pm

Dino Power !! I was about to say is this primal rage?!!? like as in a remake but this is fine i’m cool with this too lol I can’t wait to buy my PS4 I wish I can buy it right now lol

Phoenix9889 said:

March 25th, 8:16 pm

Looks good for a PS3 game.

Nck90 said:

March 25th, 8:19 pm

Jurassic Park meets Turok… I’m in

NYPUNK88 said:

March 25th, 8:20 pm

The first game was awesome can’t wait to see what they do this time around. SP only though, no multiplayer? Sony you’re on fire! :D

Elvick_ said:

March 25th, 8:22 pm

Dinosaurs > Zombies

I’m in.

thebgj said:

March 25th, 8:39 pm

Teaser trailers with o gameplay=garbage

Is this a 1st person shooter?

ElectricSlurpee said:

March 25th, 8:45 pm

I sincerely hope this turns out well, it’s just downright disgraceful that there has yet to be one decent dinosaur game made. Turok had/has potential but it seems no developer really knew what to do with it. Dino Crisis was just Resident Evil with scales and claws. Please don’t screw this up.

USRevenge2 said:

March 25th, 8:59 pm

please please please please someone, anyone, everyone convince the developers to add the multiplayer into the game from the PC version, even if it’ the exact same thing, no new maps or anything do it..

the multiplayer looks awesome but apparently this new game doesn’t have it.

Mando44646 said:

March 25th, 9:13 pm

So glad I’m getting a PS4! Can’t wait for this

onslaughtree said:

March 25th, 9:37 pm

Dont know bout you guys but im soooooo ready for next gen. Bigger, badder, faster, more innovation, better sound, bring it on. I have only 1 home console in my home and thats a ps3, and the 1 console that will replace it will be the ps4…..As always, Keep on Gaming.

NickMulder said:

March 25th, 9:43 pm

This is GENIUS you guys! No one really makes good dinosaur games anymore! I have very high hopes and expectations for this game and if you take your time to polish it and make it a good one, I’ll buy every episode you put out. I’m EXTREMELY excited for this game!

GhostMachine1 said:

March 25th, 10:50 pm

I agree with 17. Why is it in a water tank? I hope these answers and more will be answered in the game’s story. I cannot wait to hear more about this.

smokinjoe1989 said:

March 25th, 11:33 pm

cant wait to get this i love dino games but couldnt get into turok or the jurassic park game

stu123 said:

March 26th, 12:30 am

Wonder if T-Rex really roared like that.Would be funny if you went back in time and saw one and it went (wait for it gonna be loud)…..meow

DeathKiller49 said:

March 26th, 12:34 am

Day 1 buy for me for sure!

Kchow23 said:

March 26th, 1:37 am

Wow that trailer looked amazing! DINOSAURS!!!

Welmosca said:

March 26th, 1:51 am

PS4..?….hum…get out of here.I like dinosaurs makes me remember Dino Crisis…which is the best dinosaur game ever created.But PS4 tsc..I just lost my interest.

DaNTi3L said:

March 26th, 3:29 am

this looks awesome

TWODEEEE said:

March 26th, 3:53 am

since DICE cant give us dinos on battlefield gonna have to get this lol

GeoDarky said:

March 26th, 4:24 am

When can i pre-order my PS4 !!!

T3DV0L70L1N4 said:

March 26th, 5:26 am

I’ve always wanted a really great dinosaur game, and I know this is just a teaser trailer, but that really did not look good. The modeling and texturing looked alright, but the animation was jerky and unnatural. Also, the teaser makes it look like it will be Jurassic Park meets generic futuristic FPS. How will this game set itself apart from other games? Futuristic FPS + dinosaurs isn’t good enough.

The-Liquid-Fox said:

March 26th, 6:18 am

“I-is everyone on lunch at the same time AGAIN!?, someone’s getting fired.”

lyfestory said:

March 26th, 6:24 am

Dino Crisis, anyone?? Looks pretty cool though.. cant really tell what kinda experience it’ll be but looks pretty good thus far…

Major_Hoare said:

March 26th, 6:42 am

@Ashton:

Please include the online multiplayer that the excellent PC version of Primal Carnage is known for to PS4.

@Everyone else: Check out Jurrasic: The Hunted on PS3. That game is FPS dino hunting done well.

GRIM__REAFER said:

March 26th, 6:48 am

Let us hope PETA doesn’t mess with you guys like they’re doing or did with Nintendo and their Pokemon games.

PainOfSarrow said:

March 26th, 8:22 am

why only ps4 ? wish it was still going be for ps3 aswell. also if it is first person view then i wont get it. looks goood though.

FatAnorexic said:

March 26th, 8:33 am

Les do eet!

Spyderzzz said:

March 26th, 9:41 am

This looks great! I’m looking forward to it!!

PAGE 1 2