Spider-Man PS4

May 09

May 09

April 2013 PSN Top Sellers: Guacamelee! Fights to the Top

Cade Peterson's Avatar Posted by Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

We’re back with April’s North American top sellers (see Europe’s charts here).

DrinkBox Studios’ action-platformer Guacamelee! fought its way up the charts to #1 on both the PS3 and PS Vita charts. Hot titles from last month, Tomb Raider and Terraria, follow up in second and third place, respectively, while Telltale’s award-winning The Walking Dead grabs a spot in the top 10.

Both Call of Duty: Black Ops II and Skyrim dominate the downloadable content section. Soul Sacrifice rose to the number two spot, even though it only released the last day of the month. In the PSM list, Beats Trellis continues to be popular among the community. On with the show!

Top 5 PlayStation Mobile

PSM-SwitchGalaxy
  1. Beats Trellis
  2. Quiet, Please!
  3. Castle Invasion
  4. Switch Galaxy
  5. Snake

Click here for more information on how to get PlayStation Mobile games for your PS Vita or PlayStation certified device.

Top 5 PS1 Classics

PS1Classics
  1. Resident Evil 2 (PS3/PSP/PS Vita)
  2. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS3/PSP/PS Vita)
  3. Resident Evil Director’s Cut (PS3/PSP/PS Vita)
  4. FINAL FANTASY VII (PS3/PSP/PS Vita)
  5. FINAL FANTASY IX (PS3/PSP/PS Vita)

If you’re not on your PS3 or PS Vita, you can check out these games and more via the the PlayStation Store on the web. See you next month with May’s top sellers!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Zezzler said:

May 9th, 8:06 am

Really glad to see that Terraria is doing well.
I seriously cannot wait to get that for my Vita.

Hopefully we will also see a PS3/PS Vita version of Starbound when it launches too!

UncannySilk said:

May 9th, 8:07 am

HAH! SURVIVAL INSTINCT’S GONE.

Man, So glad to see Guacamelee doing really well~

Cade Peterson's Avatar

Cade Peterson said:

May 9th, 10:57 am

Guacamelee! is my new favorite couch co-op game. There’s nothing quite like earning a trophy with a friend. Afterwards, I saved my progress to the cloud, and continued my fun later on my Vita.

xClayMeow said:

May 9th, 8:09 am

I bought Guacamelee! And Soul Sacrifice on PSN so glad to see both of those games at the top. Very impressive that SS is on there basically with just day one purchases. I bought it a couple days later so my sale would have counted for May.

RE_Player said:

May 9th, 8:09 am

Nice to see Guacamelee! on top of the PS3/PSN and Vita charts.

Also impressive for Soul Sacrifice to be number two considering it was out for one day in April.

fede01_8 said:

May 9th, 8:10 am

Tomb Raider nº2!
see, that’s why there should be more flash sales!

Cade Peterson's Avatar

Cade Peterson said:

May 9th, 10:58 am

Flash sales certainly stir a lot of interest!

KKAtan said:

May 9th, 8:19 am

Sony, please convince Tecmo Koei to bring over the sequel to Atelier Totori Plus. I simply love this game, it’s one of my favourite Vita games.

Cade Peterson's Avatar

Cade Peterson said:

May 9th, 11:03 am

Perhaps since this one is doing so well that NIS will consider importing it!

Wayndawind said:

May 9th, 8:20 am

Wow where did RE4 and Borderlands come from? They are good games i must say. lol

chavez1138 said:

May 9th, 8:25 am

I agree with @fede01_8 the reason Tomb Raider is on 2nd place this month is definitely because of the flash sale, hope to see more of this. I’m really enjoying a game that probably wouldn’t had bought.

But_Honestly said:

May 9th, 8:29 am

@7 – There were big discounts on both in April.

Elvick_ said:

May 9th, 9:02 am

Hey Rockstar, see those PSP sales? Vita’s calling.

EggySong85 said:

May 9th, 9:03 am

Guacamelee was awesome. Got a friend to push through the hard mode with me and it was a blast. I’m also most of the way through Dragon Fantasy. It’s awesome to see some quality indie games pushing big-production titles down the list, too. Wonder what I should spend money on next?

ASC2175 said:

May 9th, 9:05 am

Glad to see Walking Dead Survival Instinct drop from the list faster than a green light in rush hour.

Anyway, Guacamelee deserves my money so I’m gonna buy it 14 days from now.

UnholyBahamut said:

May 9th, 9:16 am

You know what would be cool? If you showed us numbers once in a while. Resident Evil and Final Fantasy have been on the Top 5 PS1 Classics for so long…that it would be interesting to know how much they have sold overall

johnnyp70 said:

May 9th, 9:18 am

Congrats to DrinkBox on a well deserved #1 ranking. $14.99 seems like a bargain for this game. Glad I took the plunge.

Zezzler said:

May 9th, 9:19 am

@Elvick_
I’d love to see something like a San Andreas Stories on PS Vita that directly ties in with GTAV.
It’s dreaming big, but if it were to ever happen, it’d be amazing.

Malkavilis said:

May 9th, 9:21 am

SOUL SACRIFICE! Less than 1 day on store and in second place! AMAZING!

And Black Rock Shooter proves that the GOOD PSP games are still relevant, and Japan has many games which can be localized and have a good selling.

Sony, please, pay more attention to your portables!!!

Airwalkinman17 said:

May 9th, 9:36 am

Guacamelee! was awesome!!!

onslaughtree said:

May 9th, 9:49 am

Well deserved top spot for Guacamelee and Soul Sacrifice. Those 2 games are awesome.
Please release some info on if Guacamelee will be getting DLC.
As always, Keep on Gaming.

Mando44646 said:

May 9th, 10:05 am

waiting for Terraria on Vita, no buy until then

vince8502 said:

May 9th, 10:16 am

Black Rock Shooter needs to come to Canada’s PSN store! I want to play the game so badly…

poodude said:

May 9th, 10:21 am

Glad Thomas Was Alone charted, that game was an absolute delight.

@vince8502

I agree! Was really looking forward to it – then I found out about the licencing issue on launch day :(.

Cade Peterson's Avatar

Cade Peterson said:

May 9th, 11:06 am

Agreed—Thomas Was Alone is a delightful, surprising, and curious puzzle platformer. I’m glad to see it do so well, as I feel it’s really one of those games that will become unforgettable.

bldudas said:

May 9th, 10:26 am

Many of these games deserve to be in the top selling list. I am, however, disappointed see people actually bought the Skyrim DLC.

Cade Peterson's Avatar

Cade Peterson said:

May 9th, 11:06 am

I bought the Skyrim DLC and loved every moment.

Farmer-Willis said:

May 9th, 10:32 am

Glad to see an Indie take the top spot of most downloaded. Sad to see Grand Theft Auto take all the PS2 classics. I think they’re overrated but that’s just me. Also sad to see no love for Legend of Dragoon. Everyone wanted it, but no-one’s playing it. Squashes my dreams for sequel.

mpb93 said:

May 9th, 10:40 am

Sony want to sell a billion PS VITAs get rockstar to make GTA SAN ANDREAS STORIES PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzPS VITA exclusive of course

UltimateBatman said:

May 9th, 10:44 am

If Black Rock Shooter was available in more countries it would have hit #1.

geassuser87 said:

May 9th, 10:55 am

If Terratia is that high on the ranking, then why cant I find any open world online when I play? (´・_・`)

Malkavilis said:

May 9th, 10:56 am

If…if not, WHEN Sony bring Monster Hunter to Vita…

Noctis_HD said:

May 9th, 11:00 am

Final Fantasy VII not in 1st place, wow! First time that has ever happen I think.

TJF588 said:

May 9th, 11:23 am

Impressive that Dragon Fantasy beat out Thomas Was Alone, though I could think of some reasons that may be (earlier in the promo; otherwise available only on mobile, compared to TWA on Steam and Desura; retro-throwback vs minimalism).

If nothing else, though, let this speak to customers’ desire for JRPGs!

That said, lookit Biohazard beating out the Final Fantasy mainstays!
Good seeing Black Rock Shooter on the charts, too, though GTA is inexplicably incredibly popular (though, this coming from the logic of PC mods > closed systems).

And, of course, Journey still appears. As it should.

TwinDad said:

May 9th, 11:57 am

Not one fighting game in the top 5. But yet, PS+ is loaded with them. Just saying…..

Yea. Dragon Book Fantasy. Fun game.

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

May 9th, 12:01 pm

we need more HD@D SIDE SCROLLING GAMES on the PS VITA..like SHANK..and BIONIC COMMANDO. Also some 3PS wouldnt hurt either..like GTA or even SAINTS ROW..SERIOUSLY!! but i am looking foward to that new BATMAN GAME…thats hopefully for the PS VITA..

Tjoeb123 said:

May 9th, 12:02 pm

@28 Remember that Resident Evil sale?

Sevyne said:

May 9th, 12:37 pm

Nice to see Totori holding strong on the Vita list and great that Guacamelee is selling so well. However, I think the biggest highlight is the fact that Soul Sacrifice ranked in at #2 even though it was only out for 1 day in April. Now that is REALLY impressive!

BlueBl1zzard said:

May 9th, 12:47 pm

Woohoo!! Soul Sacrifice! Only out for a few hours and it took the #2 spot!

@Zezzler (#15) +1 from me

Satnamji said:

May 9th, 12:58 pm

The Borderlands sale was sick!

Flash Sale of Bioshock Infinite please! I just got 1 TB hard drive for my PS3 and I’m reader to fill’r up.

el_casual said:

May 9th, 1:17 pm

Is awesome that Persona 4 is still doing well. See Atlus? You made 3 Persona games for PSP, why not others 3 for Vita?. And Morta lKombat too. See Nether Realm? Why not a Injustice Vita port?. Im glad for Guacamelee and Thomas was alone . But sad because Sony still dont say a word about Walking dead telltales games for Vita. And a Journey, Flower Vita port.

AizawaYuuichi said:

May 9th, 1:21 pm

I bought #1 and 2 on the PS3/PSN list and numbers 1, 3, 7 and 8 on the Vita list. Nice to see I contributed to a bunch of titles on here. :)

Though, now I have a question. How do you determine, with Cross-Buy titles, how many sales go to each platform? Do you count all sales as one for each platform? Or do you count how many of each individual one was selected from within the store? Cause I know most of the time, I select the PS3 version of Cross-Buy titles when I’m buying them. Not sure why I do that, though… so, just curious. Obviously I’m happy that Guacamelee! took the #1 spot on both lists, but kinda wondering how that works out.

Cade Peterson's Avatar

Cade Peterson said:

May 9th, 4:50 pm

That’s a great question. Cross-Buy games only count once towards the platform initially purchased for, though that purchase entitles you to a copy on the other platform. This means that Guacamelee! truly pwned BOTH lists this month with the top digital sales on PS3 and PS Vita.

Kchow23 said:

May 9th, 1:38 pm

Very happy to see Guacamelee! doing great! and just overall a lot of great games on the list

supermoc10 said:

May 9th, 2:14 pm

Glad to see Guacamelee! on top of the chart.

I have a suggestion: each week, you guys should post a chart like this but it would feature the most played games across all platforms. That would be help a lot in knowing the most popular games on PlayStation. Xbox already does it and people love it so there’s no reason you guys shouldn’t do it as well.

Ramen_4_Life said:

May 9th, 2:50 pm

I had a blast playing Guacamelee at home & on the go. Congrats to everyone at Drinkbox for topping both the PS3 AND Vita lists!

I’m also glad I took a chance on Atelier Totori Plus; I enjoyed it enough to want to play the other Atelier games as well.

YungShep said:

May 9th, 2:54 pm

really excited too see that shake up in the vita chart! surprised none of the IGC made the list! congrats gamers!!

duke301 said:

May 9th, 3:29 pm

Not surprising to see Tomb Raider near the top with the sale a couple weeks ago. I was really tempted to buy it when it came out for $60, but I’m glad I didn’t. The ironic thing is that it’s such a great game, it would have been worth the $60. Still, $30 is obviously a much more attractive price, especially since it included the downloadable content and Quantum Conundrum.

kingfoot said:

May 9th, 3:46 pm

Can’t believe Journey is still top 15. Incredible game.

Heavenly_king said:

May 9th, 3:54 pm

Nice to see Soul Sacrifice second even if it is only the sales of 1 day! :D

famousmortimer said:

May 9th, 5:38 pm

Has it ever been clarified if the lists are based on units moved or revenue generated? It’s interesting to see so many $60 games in the top 20 on the PS3.

Also curious if Dragon Book vol 1 sold more on the vita than the ps3… or if the vita just sells that many less copies (which would make sense given the install base of the PS3 vs Vita).

I don’t expect these questions to be answered but figured it couldn’t hurt to ask.

Guimace said:

May 9th, 7:34 pm

More flash sales! Tomb Raider flash sale was awesome!

And Soul Sacrifice deserves these numbers – great game.

camiwaits_us said:

May 9th, 8:03 pm

Guacamelee is the greatest game to come out this year; i’m so glad to see it as the best seller.

PainOfSarrow said:

May 9th, 9:54 pm

Il Never everrr fall for a over rated Psn game again. Journey was not that great although the sand itself was very good looking. Terraria was by far the Worst game i ever purchased out of my 100+ psn games. i dont understand how so many enjoy it but owell. got Guacamelee for 5 bucks once my 10$ from sony came in. now that one was good atleast and worth it. so glade to see gta take over the ps2 classics. my type of games.

Frank_Van_Dam said:

May 9th, 10:18 pm

I WANT TO PLAY MY GAMES ModNation ™ Racers PSP ® and Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play in my PS VIta, when will be available?

ACE420PATRIOT said:

May 9th, 11:19 pm

thanks sony , ur the best .can we get a app for facebook like the youtube one .playstationnetwork thank you for all the hard work .and do somthing about the 2 system rule it hurts people that have more like me , i have 5 systems .love the download idea but wont buy anymore because of all the work to deactive and active everytime i change rooms . ur disk playin gamer ACE. ps love u all

PAGE 1 2