Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

May 16

May 16

Diablo III: Conversations With Creators

Lylirra's Avatar Posted by Community Manager, Diablo III

Deep within Blizzard Entertainment’s secret underground game development compound, a team of modern day blacksmiths and alchemists has been hard at work reforging a legendary game experience for an all-new legion of heroes. Once finished, this finely-tuned version of the bestselling Diablo III will transport PlayStation gamers to a dark and dangerous world of fast-paced action, thrilling adventure, and piles upon piles of epic loot. Pour yourself a flagon of your favorite brew, kick up your boots, and feast your eyes on this Diablo III developer diary, part of PlayStation’s “Conversations With Creators,” an ongoing series featuring numerous industry-leading game studios.

In this video, you’ll hear from three of the developers behind Blizzard Entertainment’s action role-playing epic: Production Director John Hight, Lead Designer Joshua Mosqueira, and Senior Designer Jason Bender. Together, they’ll explain how bringing the game to PS3 and PS4 has empowered them to viscerally transport players into the foreboding, demon-besieged world of Sanctuary by putting the action in the palms of their hands.

According to the team, the most critical component of the Diablo III experience on the PlayStation platform is the controller. That’s where the player develops a relationship with the character on the screen. Blizzard developers believe that “control is king,” so with Diablo III, that has translated to “the controller is king.” From a player’s perspective, there’s a fundamental difference between indirect control, with a mouse cursor, and direct control, which can be achieved with a PlayStation controller. In this video, they highlight key reasons why this method of interaction truly drives home the excitement offered by this genre-defining action role-playing game.

It’s desperate times, and innocents have been caught between the forces of the High Heavens and the Burning Hells. If you’d like to learn more about how you can do your part to save humanity, visit the official Diablo III community site and interact with other heroes of Sanctuary on Facebook and Twitter. To receive the Infernal Helm, an exclusive in-game item that grants an experience point boost to any character who wears it, preorder Diablo III for PlayStation 3 today.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

ArchAngelMai said:

May 16th, 9:04 am

Please be a PS4 launch title so I have a title to play with lots of Replay! I already put 300 hours into the PC one. Thanks Blizzard!

Ryumoau said:

May 16th, 9:08 am

Can’t wait to try this on ps3.

Lylirra's Avatar

Lylirra said:

May 16th, 5:28 pm

We’ll see you there, fellow (and future) hero of Sanctuary. :)

DrApollo said:

May 16th, 9:09 am

I agree with 1! Please launch with the PS4:)

MakoSOLIDER said:

May 16th, 9:15 am

Sounds great. very informative video too. Will be buying it on PS4

Xcaligamer1 said:

May 16th, 9:17 am

please oh please be a ps4 launch title :D

Gorvi said:

May 16th, 9:18 am

I’ll be waiting to buy the PS4 version as well. I know we can’t get a date on that version, but is it at least set to come out before Christmas?

Skrawney said:

May 16th, 9:30 am

@everyone who wants a ps4 version, go check amazon. They have a ps4 slot for the game so you are all in luck. Maybe next time check amazon before making demands.

Dark_Rezo said:

May 16th, 9:37 am

Im waiting for this game.
No plans for Diablo 1 as PsOne Classic? (please)

Zezzler said:

May 16th, 9:40 am

Please continue to make these ‘Conversations with creators’ video about PS4. They are extremely interesting to watch, and provide some really cool insight.

Rukia said:

May 16th, 9:42 am

Have to say that I’m super excited about this. Everyone in the video was very passionate about the game and what the PS4 can do. The quick equip sounds super awesome and the control layout looked perfect. I have a feeling I’m going to enjoy Diablo 3 more on PS4 than the PC.

Lylirra's Avatar

Lylirra said:

May 16th, 5:46 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed the video! Our console team is full of passionate designers who live and breathe Diablo III, and that kind enthusiasm is usually hard to mask for long. :D They’re all so excited to be able to deliver a game like Diablo III into the hands of console players around the world, and have spent a lot of time making sure that the experience is authentic, but also feels natural and really fun on the PS3/PS4. We’re super pumped what the platform can offer gamers — especially PS4 — and are excited to see what that might mean for Diablo III!

rabidninjamonky said:

May 16th, 9:52 am

I agree with + Dark Rezo I would love to see Diablo 1 as a ps1 classic.

GT-420 said:

May 16th, 9:57 am

Never played a Diablo game before, but love Action RPG’s. I’ll be checking out the PS3 version, I’m not going to get a PS4 for awhile.

Stranger_Eddie said:

May 16th, 9:58 am

Just put Diablo 2 with Lord Of Destruction (LoD) with all patchs) in HD for Vita + Cross-Play PS3!

– Diablo 1 = I Played more than 2 years (all days)

– Diablo 3 = I Played a few days…

– Diablo 2 + LoD = The most epic game I played in my life! … I only stoped to play, because after 7 years playing every day, I´m thinking in a small possibility to be addicted!

donkeypunch12312 said:

May 16th, 10:29 am

I WILL BUY THIS! I WILL BUY 4 JUST SO MY FRIENDS CAN PLAY WITH ME! BUT, IS THE THEIR A MONTHLY FEE! PLEASE LET US KNOW!

boxmyth said:

May 16th, 10:36 am

Really enjoyed that. I haven’t played Diablo since the first one, but I could easily see myself picking this up for PS4.

lemmingwarrior said:

May 16th, 10:43 am

I have a tattoo of the shrine from diablo 2. Its the only game on pc i ever liked. ill buy a ps4 if its bundled with diablo 2/3. the idea of diablo 1 ps1 classic is great too. thank you blizzard for coming back to us

ArchAngelMai said:

May 16th, 10:59 am

@13
Only people that complain about Diablo 3 are those that thought it was too hard. It is infinitely better than D2 ever was, and I played D2 for years. I like that D3 was actually hard, and not a cake walk. Gamer’s these days suck, “This game sucks because it’s too hard.” Easy games suck.

@7
der, we know its on PS4, it says it in the post and was announced at the PS Meeting back in Feb. We want it to be a launch title for PS4. Amazon does place holders for games, there is no date for launch yet. Hence why all PS4 games are set at $99, since the cost is undetermined yet.

Haven’t played D3 in months, but here is my character.

GeoDarky said:

May 16th, 11:23 am

me and a group of my friends looking forward to get D3 on PS4, thanks Bilzzard

robkots said:

May 16th, 11:32 am

Those PlayStation conversations are indeed very awesome,
A developer I want to see such a video from are Naughty Dog lol
And RockstarGames would also be very nice IF they would want to do it… but mostlikely not.

IzoGray said:

May 16th, 11:43 am

This should be on Vita, Blizzard. Cross Play between PS3 and Vita would be absolutely astounding.

Even if it wasn’t cross play, having it on Vita would be perfect for this type of game. Diablo III was made to be portable. Think about it.

D-Squad3 said:

May 16th, 12:10 pm

I really loved Champions of Norrath and Return to Arms, I really hope this game can give me the same experience or even a better one since nobody wants to make another Champions game.

And I’m glad to hear about the dodge mechanism on the right analog stick, it’s definitely essential for games like this such as God of War.

Stranger_Eddie said:

May 16th, 1:03 pm

ArchAngelMai …

1) I prefer D2 Than D3!…

2) … About “Difficult” Just tell you about my generation starts in Odyssey System ( Before Atari), and games Like Ninja Gaiden, Battletoads, Contral, Kid Chameleon, Gauntlet, Ghost and Goblins, etc WITHOUT SAVESTATE, are presents in my life! … So…

3) Are the actual generation have easy games? …. No! The games today, are PIECE OF CAKE!

Regards!

Aceun said:

May 16th, 1:22 pm

I got to say I was befuddled when this was announced at the PS4 Announcement. However, after seeing this I’m actually interested in the franchise whereas I wasn’t before… at all. Really looking forward to picking this up on the PS4.

Guimace said:

May 16th, 1:25 pm

Blizzard guys, while you’re at it, why not bring a Diablo Collection to PS3 and PS4?

Diablo I is a classic, and Diablo II is a fan favorite. I’d get the Collection day one for sure.

Hooligantuan said:

May 16th, 2:01 pm

Hey, let’s waste hours of our lives grinding mobs for random treasure!

Sound good?

Sound GREAT?

Heavenly_king said:

May 16th, 3:13 pm

I will get the PS4 version. I already have PC version, but the PS4 version would make me buy the game again.

RidleysBox said:

May 16th, 3:14 pm

I wouldn’t mind trying this on a console. As long as it doesn’t require an always-on internet connection or the real money auction house like the PC version did, which were the reasons I stopped playing it.

Lylirra's Avatar

Lylirra said:

May 16th, 6:05 pm

I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t find the PC version as enjoyable as you expected, but I hope that you’ll return to Sanctuary some time soon. :)

To answer your questions, the PS3 and PS4 versions of Diablo III will offer offline play, as well as 4-player local co-op — this is in addition to many online services that will be available, including matchmaking. There will not be an auction house; however, players can still trade with another directly.

You can learn a more about the game here: http://www.psu.com/a019337/Diablo-3-completely-rebuilt-for-the-PS3-PS4

ShariusTC said:

May 16th, 4:22 pm

Diablo is one of my biggest chilhood francis, i manage hold off buying PC version just to wait for console version, hope it’s worth

Ryumoau said:

May 16th, 4:28 pm

@17 i know its hard to believe, but not everyone wants to spend $60 on a difficult game. especially when there are plenty of games out that give you options to change the difficulty.

Not trying to sound rude, but i can’t stand the macho ‘hardcore’ gamer crap. People have the right to enjoy easy games just as much as you enjoy hard ones.

tusunami said:

May 16th, 4:38 pm

This is great to see because this is awesome, but not sure for what system to get this for PS3 or PS4.

Tchanku said:

May 16th, 4:40 pm

Looks good. :)

JusteMilieu said:

May 16th, 5:03 pm

Really have enjoyed the PC version, looking forward to this a lot!

Lylirra's Avatar

Lylirra said:

May 16th, 5:27 pm

That’s awesome! While the PS3 and PS4 versions of Diablo III are indeed based on the PC version, they really are two very unique games in terms of how they play. Between features like Evade, direct control, Fast Equip, and all the other adjustments our console team has made so that the game feels epic on the PS3 (and soon to the PS4), it should be a familiar, but ultimately new and exciting experience. Or at least we hope so!

Since you’re a PC player, if you have any questions about how the two games may differ — or even how and where they’re the same — let me know!

MrGreenBean420 said:

May 16th, 6:21 pm

I can’t wait to play this game!!!! I hope you can give any of your toons the loot you find like you can on PC.I wonder if there will be a demo for it if so I hope ps+ gets it early just cause I want to play it soooo much.

UnrealButcher said:

May 16th, 6:56 pm

Loooooooooooooove Lost Vikings (wish it was playable on my PS Vita) and loved hanging with friends playing Rock ‘n Roll Racing. Both great games.

I still play Diablo 3 PC. Started with a Barb, then my son made himself a Monk so I went with a Wizard, then my other son made a Demon Hunter so I made a Witch Doctor. I’ve had fun with all my builds and Diablo 3 is my most played game in some time.

I don’t have a PS3 and this game being able to be streamed to my Vita using the PS4 will more than likely make it my first Playstation console since PS2.

Can’t wait for some local coop with the family and seeing this in action on my Vita. I’ve watched youtube videos of the PC version on my Vita and let’s just say it’s beautiful.

Thanks again for all the memories guys.

UnrealButcher said:

May 16th, 6:58 pm

Oh yeah, and Happy Birthday +1 day Diablo 3.

kdiep said:

May 16th, 7:07 pm

Wait a minute…. I thought John Hight worked for Sony? I know he worked with the Santa Monica team a lot. What’s going on?

togue said:

May 16th, 7:50 pm

So…this means Blizzard All-Stars is a PS4 title too, right???? :)

ArchAngelMai said:

May 16th, 7:54 pm

@Blizzard
You respond to the same person twice?

@22
I grew up with NES and all the games you mentioned. They were only difficult because I was a kid then. Those games now are a joke. Some games these days are difficult, and rightfully so. Games of the past have nothing on nowadays games as far as difficulty goes.

@29
The game is easily accessible up to Inferno, soloed the whole game with little problems. Now before the massive changes that were done, Past Act 2 were nearly impossible alone, and even with great gear. You had to kite everything and even then death was a close friend. Now the game has been reworked and has Monster Power which you set and adds difficulty where you want it, and delivers more EXP and MF too as it increases.
Now D3 is rather easy, I can do MP6-8 solo and MP5 on Inferno in a party. The game has been tweaked as needed to appease all. People forget that D2 had crappy online at first, and was reworked over and over again until it appeased all. Such is the process of game making. Its like FF14, it sucked when it came out, but about 4 months in they figured it out. But most people turned tail by then and the game had to be rebuilt.

Wollan said:

May 16th, 8:19 pm

I loved Diablo on the PSone.

When will you be able to show the PS4 version of Diablo 3?

midnightshade said:

May 16th, 9:29 pm

So glad that the auction house is not on this version. I stopped playing D3 on PC because ot it. Although I did beat it the game on normal difficulty. The fact that i never felt like I was getting better gear just sucked… I don’t want to have to buy and sell on a auction house. this isn’t an mmo. I really hope you guys changed the loot system because it wouldn’t work right the way the pc game is because of the auction house.

Now for Diablo 1… bring that to ps1 classics asap!!! i want to play it on my vita!

Jisatsu_Kiddo said:

May 16th, 9:51 pm

R.I.P. Gamers

You kids have no idea what you are in for…the PC version is atrocious.

AizawaYuuichi said:

May 17th, 2:49 am

My one burning question is, will the PS3 and PS4 versions will be able to play together online? I’m planning to get a PS4 day one and Diablo 3 fairly close to when it launches (funds willing, and in relation to the system launch). But a friend of mine is planning to stick with his PS3 for a while, though I think I can talk him into buying D3 if we can play together cross-console. Any info on this, or has it been decided yet whether you’ll support it?

NinjaMicWZ said:

May 17th, 12:02 pm

Put a minimum-settings version on Vita and make mega-Asia Monster Hunter money, and get eternal love from me (and Sony too, I’m sure).

I don’t sit at a table and game with a mouse, so I tried to play D3 on my laptop with a 360 controller and xpadder, as Demon Hunter, and abused vault a lot until the difficulty spike in Hell made my lack of mouse switness useless… so the R-Stick roll on everyone is a great design choice imo.

bravo361 said:

May 17th, 9:11 pm

I was wondering is there going to be shared servers? As in am i allowed to access my computer character on the ps4?

Diablos2525 said:

May 17th, 10:21 pm

Owned the PC version played it for about three weeks, not a bad game but not even close to the quality of Diablo 2/LOD. The main reason being they designed the game around a real money auction house which crippled the gameplay in so many ways and limited the quality of the title. Gone were good elite items, gone were custom games and chatrooms with a lobby. Instead we got always online DRM and a RMAH so they could milk the play base. As a long time fan of blizzard since the launch of Starcraft 1, their recent actions are disappointing to say the least. I’d like to say it’s all Activision’s fault but really it’s the culture of the studio. I would suggest as an alternative torchlight II, it was made by the people who actually made Diablo 2 and while the story is just as horrible as Diablo 3’s the gameplay and character customization is infinitely better.

Diablos2525 said:

May 17th, 10:23 pm

@40 MidnightShade the RMAH seems to still be there based off of her comments.

KingofSparta_17 said:

May 18th, 6:28 am

Will this be connected with Battle.net servers (for example will i be able to access my account and characters from the PS3 or PS4 game).I ask this cause i dont want to rebuild all my characters and find all my equipment agian. If its not in the game i highly recommended that you find a way to connect the Playstation Network and Battle.net.

Lylirra's Avatar

Lylirra said:

May 20th, 7:07 pm

While we think cross-platform play would be awesome, there are currently no plans to allow connectivity between PlayStation Network and Battle.net (this is pretty standard for most games that have PC and console support). As a result, the characters on your Battle.net account and PlayStation account will also remain separate.

helpimsobad said:

May 18th, 7:27 am

Not sure this is still being watched, I had a couple questions as a former PC player. One, I felt like the game was short compared to Diablo 2, so as someone who just wants to play through the games’ difficulties, and doesn’t really care about ‘endgame farming’ it was far less engrossing to me. The environments were also far less random, thus progressing through the difficulties was less enjoyable, since it was literally the same exact area/direction you need to go.

The way stats worked meant there were no really unique items, and that rares or even blues were almost always better than legendaries. I heard recent patches tried to fix this, but I haven’t played myself recently.

Last I felt like the classes weren’t as fun to play as Diablo 2’s classes. The only D2 class I didn’t like so much was Amazon, in Diablo 3 it seemed like Barbarian was the only really fun class to play. I cringed when the Barbarian was mentioned specifically in the video, because it seemed to confirm my feeling that only the Barbarian had real effort put into its feel in D3.

I want to like Diablo 3, it could be a good addition to my new PS3/4 library, I just hope some things were learned from the rocky PC launch and put into these releases.

Lylirra's Avatar

Lylirra said:

May 20th, 7:09 pm

Still watching. :)

You said you had some questions as a PC player, but unfortunately I didn’t see any specific ones called out in your post. Can you point them out to me? Happy to address what I can!

sephiroth87666 said:

May 18th, 3:00 pm

since i bought the collectors edition for the pc i have been denied the ability to play because my laptops video card isn’t compatible i will be looking forward to the ps3 and ps4 versions when they are released i have long been a diablo fan and when i watched blizzard announce a console version for diablo 3 i couldn’t have been happier i pray that you continue to work on such a wonderful series.

helpimsobad said:

May 22nd, 9:28 am

Thanks for sticking around. Really the entire post was a question: what as confirmed was that Diablo 3 was ported to PS3/4, and controls were adapted to make it work, including a rolling dodge mechanic. The issues I listed were present in the original release and not related to whether or not it’s on a console.

My question was if any of that is addressed in the PS3/4 versions. Is this a better version of the game, or more of what I saw on PC? Most specifically, have the classes and itemization been revamped to address the issues I mentioned, and has any additional randomization been added to the environments to increase replayability, more like previous Diablos.

PAGE 1 2