Horizon Zero Dawn

Jun 04

Jun 04

Stick It to The Man! On PS Vita and PS3 This Year

Klaus Lyngeled's Avatar Posted by Zoink!

Stick it to the Man on PS3 and PS Vita

Hi, my name is Klaus Lyngeled and I am running a small game studio called Zoink! in Sweden. We have been working on something really special and I am so happy I can finally announce our game: Stick It to The Man!

In short, it’s a mind-reading game set in a paper and sticker universe. I know… that sounds insane, but you’ll understand once you watch our announcement trailer.

As you may have noticed, it’s a mix of platforming and adventure games.

The story is about this poor guy called Ray, who ends up in coma and wakes up with a 16-foot pink spaghetti arm sticking out of his head. The arm gives him the power to actually listen to anyone’s thoughts, which he hears as an inner monologue. But that’s not all — he can also put thoughts into people’s heads, change what they think about, and even pull objects out from peoples thoughts.

As you can imagine, this power is pretty useful. Soon enough, Ray finds himself being chased down by strange agents and a mysterious character called The Man.

The game has over 100 characters and each character can be mind-read. We had to record more than 10 hours of voice acting. That was actually really fun.

The dialogue is written by Adventure Time writer Ryan North and I bet you’ll laugh playing the game… if not, well you might actually be dead. Ehhm..Sorry!

At any point in the game you can activate something we call mega-pulsating-brain-mode (we could also call it mind-reading mode, but that didn’t sound as cool). All characters on screen (even animals and the occasional ghost) will reveal their brains and you can then slap The Arm into their brain. This will enable you to listen to their most inner thoughts. You’ll get all the juicy details and whacky thoughts. What is the doctor really thinking when examining you? Is the old lady on the bus an alien? What or who did the crocodile eat for breakfast?

Stick it to the Man on PS3 and PS Vita

Stick it to the Man on PS3 and PS VitaStick it to the Man on PS3 and PS Vita

I am particularly proud of the script and the characters you get to meet. We have some really interesting characters in the game, how about a disco dancing mafia Don that isn’t shy of getting the competition “taken care of”, a balding Yeti with a love crush on her hairy guard, a psychiatric warden with a split personality disorder and even good old Santa makes a short visit. We have it all! It’s like Christmas, but stranger!

Last week we had a small sneak preview of the game at the Nordic Game Conference and we were overwhelmed with the amazing feedback we got. People really seemed to love it. We can’t wait to let everyone play it.

We are now finishing up the last chapters of the game and then we need a couple of months to polish it up. The game will be released later this year on PS3 and PS Vita and we’ll have plenty more stuff to share with you before then.

Until then, keep sticking it to the man! And follow the game on Facebook and let us know your thoughts.

Add Your Own

PaynePerfect49 said:

June 4th, 6:07 am

Jakintosh said:

June 4th, 6:08 am

Not gonna lie, the combination of the art style, humor, and overall tone of this game are unlike anything I’ve ever seen before, and it looks absolutely fantastic.

Bo-3dna-Q8 said:

June 4th, 6:11 am

ModernNomNom said:

June 4th, 6:12 am

Is this going to be a PlayStation Exclusive?

Tim81DE said:

June 4th, 6:12 am

Looks amazing! I hope you guys can release some sort of physical Collector’s Edition with a Ray standup creation scene! Keep up the awesome work!

derkargon said:

June 4th, 6:12 am

look pretty cool

MAXIMO273 said:

June 4th, 6:14 am

I remember playing Kore Gang on Wii that i know you guys were involved with. It’s got a similar vibe although in 2D. Even some of the voice acting ,and character design looks similar.

Any idea on price, Move support, and what if any cross-features( cross-buy, cross-save,cross-play, cross-controller)?

Patsrule0316 said:

June 4th, 6:14 am

I would say the art style, humor, and overall tone of this game are somewhat like Psychonauts, but that is definitely a good thing. I don’t think it is a clone, and will have its own original take. Definitely looks like something I’d like to get my hands on.

Elvick_ said:

June 4th, 6:29 am

Bring it on.

Eliphaz said:

June 4th, 6:32 am

This looks great , I can see the creativity exploding out of zoink! studios. I love Ryan North and the adventure time cartoons excellent idea getting him to pen your script. I’ll be watching out for more information on Stick it to the man and zoink! studios in the future- thanks for introducing us to your work here at the psblog and great work I cant wait to get my spaghetti arms all over it.. great avatar btw any chance we can get some similiar ones with this art direction in the future?

LiquidMetal14 said:

June 4th, 6:34 am

This looks really good. Love the mind reading and pasting of the mouths onto different characters. I hope it gets crazy with some of that type of stuff.

T3DV0L70L1N4 said:

June 4th, 6:53 am

This looks really interesting and creative. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to it!

RoII_chan said:

June 4th, 6:58 am

It does look amazing! I´m gonna get this for sure!!

AwRy108 said:

June 4th, 7:07 am

Wow, this game looks terrific!

I really want to play this on my Vita, but the game looks very dark. Please include the ability to adjust the gamma/brightness of the game itself so it’s able to be enjoyed in a larger variety of places.

FearMonkey said:

June 4th, 7:07 am

Not only am I getting a heavy Psychonauts vibe from this game, but the silhouette of the FBI agent at 0:46 bears a striking resemblance to Sasha Nein.

vanwinkle said:

June 4th, 7:20 am

Game looks amazing.

What I’m curious about is if this all takes place in this particular world we are seeing here, or if there are a variety of worlds like in traditional platformers. I would be happiest with the latter, but I can deal with the former.

gcsoxfan08 said:

June 4th, 7:24 am

@8 Patsrule

I was thinking the same thing. Psychonauts-esc and at the same time has a very different looking vibe in terms of gameplay. I’ll definitely be buying this when it releases!

fatkorn said:

June 4th, 7:32 am

I’m exited to find out more of this game. Looks wonderful. This is why I bought the PS Vita.

camiwaits_us said:

June 4th, 7:41 am

This game looks incredible; why haven’t i heard about it before?

Despair-Amit said:

June 4th, 8:06 am

Wow, I love how this looks, definitely on my radar now.

xClayMeow said:

June 4th, 8:11 am

I’m sure some people will whine about “another indie game” coming to Vita, like that somehow affects AAA games. I for one think this game looks really unique and fun. I assume there will be a mix of analog and touch controls? Seems pretty obvious to use touch for the stickers and mind-reading but confirmation would be nice.

Also is it going to be one full game? You mention chapters and just want to make sure it’s not episodic. How much gameplay hours are you expecting?

Any ETA and pricing info? Also, I don’t personally care, but I’m sure some people will want to know if it’s cross-buy.

Rainwater said:

June 4th, 9:01 am

wow, that looks pretty amazing! Looking forward to it!

lisatsunami said:

June 4th, 9:13 am

Yay, more Vita games, thanks!

GeoDarky said:

June 4th, 9:44 am

looks really cool to play on the go, gonna get it for my PSV, thanks guys

JaguarCRO said:

June 4th, 10:10 am

After looking at the announce trailer, I have to say I am impressed. This looks better than I thought when I just read about it last night. I will definitely check it out once you release.

paulogy said:

June 4th, 10:21 am

VERY interesting. This looks like it uses touch controls on the Vita. Would it use the Move on PS3?

DRAQ-520 said:

June 4th, 10:37 am

Looks pretty awesome, but it’s going to be a physical or PSN release?

boob-monster said:

June 4th, 10:52 am

The trailer made me smile, i like how different this game is. the art style is horrible and awesome at the same time, and it is a little bit disturbing, but i like that.

Neil said:

June 4th, 11:42 am

Reminds me of some of the situations A Square had in Flatland.

Cliffplay44 said:

June 4th, 11:53 am

JJJohn445…hey my aunt makes $15.45 hourly

working at home on her computer. Her check was

$2800 last month. She does easy typing work

and they train you. No exp necessary. CHeck

out the website JobK3.com CHECK

IT OUT

ProfessorGerbik said:

June 4th, 11:57 am

Wow the art style is amazing. This looks to be like a really fun game as well. They took the LBP sticker idea to a whole nother level.

sdmf4ever said:

June 4th, 12:01 pm

YEE!! Just what I’ve always wanted….a cross between Psychonauts & Little Big Planet art/graphic/gaming styles!!!

death_by_wabbit said:

June 4th, 12:25 pm

Reminds me of Psychonauts

tusunami said:

June 4th, 12:36 pm

Man the PS Vita is really picking up steam a lot of great content for me & PS Vita owners incoming fast. Original content,keep it coming!!!!!!!!!!!

White_Worm said:

June 4th, 12:50 pm

That looks great! More unique experiences for Playstation owners!

Chance_Splinter said:

June 4th, 1:00 pm

Fantastic.

Klaus, this looks great! A fresh, funny, original-looking experience! Day one on Vita.

Sony, this looks great! More beautiful, creative indie fare! Thank you!

Shahid Ahmad, please – for the love of God – please call up Klei Entertainment and do what you can to their their stuff on the Vita too!

Oh wait, he’s SCEE. Nevermind. But whoever’s in charge of indie games in North America needs to get on that! Don’t make me beg! (I’ll totally beg.)

X_BROCKLEE_X said:

June 4th, 1:22 pm

This looks really weird but in a good way. Another indie vita game on the way and I’m loving it. I know people are looking forward to big triple A releases but there’s always something special about indies. Developers continue to push the button and look for new ways to be creative. I can’t wait to see more and Ryan North will bring fun stuff to the table.

plaztiksyke said:

June 4th, 3:32 pm

Looks really, truly great. If it’s a cross-buy at $15 or below, I’ll insta-buy :) My husband and I are really enjoying the Jacob Jones adventure/puzzle game that came out a few weeks ago, so this looks right up our alley.

Does it run in native resolution on the Vita? Who’s doing the music? Will the audio be 24-bit and/or losslessly-compressed on PS3? (10 hours of voice acting is great, so long as it’s not lispy/weird MP3 like Quantum Conundrum and Back to the Future had.)

GhostMachine1 said:

June 4th, 3:34 pm

The song that was in The Big Lebowski! This game looks over all great.

voltfan72 said:

June 5th, 2:09 am

this looks amazing, i hope they release a special edition with a colorforms like toy with it they would go hand and hand. is anybody listening?

Shadow_Enz said:

June 6th, 7:04 pm

Whoa this is like something out of MTV’s Liquid Television from the 90s! Like The Adventures of Thomas and Nardo!

VERY INTERESTED! Tell me more!