Knack 2

Jun 25

Jun 25

How to Shmup: Mamorukun Curse, From the Makers of Ikaruga

Andrew Wang's Avatar Posted by Producer, UFO Interactive Games

Mamorukun Curse! was originally developed by G.rev, the co-developers with Treasure Co. Ltd. on games such as Ikaruga and Gradius V. The rush I got when I first started to understand the ammo-absorbing mechanic in Ikaruga was nothing short of exhilarating, as I’m sure many of you experienced the same!

A great shmup (shoot-em-up) will usually have one or two defining mechanics that makes it stand up way above the rest. For Mamorukun Curse!, that mechanic is the Curse Bullet. The Curse Bullet is the key to surviving the game’s toughest fights, but can also be the double-edged sword that causes the player’s downfall. Specifically, the “Curse Bullet” will make a Cursed zone that weakens enemies’ defenses but at the same time boosting their shooting pattern. When defeated, a Cursed enemy gives off the highest amount of candy, Mamorukun Curse!’s collectible items for score, than when defeated normally.

Mamorukun Curse! on PSNMamorukun Curse! on PSN

The Curse effect can also be applied onto yourself to power up your own shots to be even more powerful than shooting a “Cursed” enemy! This effect, of course, has a significant cooldown to the next “Curse Bullet” activation.

Another benefit: when you start charging a Curse Bullet, it clears all enemy bullets on the screen. This makes for a very interesting risk/reward system; if you shoot the Curse Bullet and it doesn’t hit any enemies that can take a few more shots, the cooldown for the “Curse Bullet” is reset. This lets you bypass a lot of incoming fire almost indefinitely. However, this will only get you so far, as many bosses and enemies are able to take quite a bit of punishment when their defenses aren’t weakened or when your shots aren’t powered up by the Curse effect. Learning the multi-faceted Curse Bullet effects and balancing all its uses is where shmup fans will find their “A-HA!” moments!

Mamorukun Curse! on PSN

Shmup fans know how great games in this genre are hard to come across. Most are carbon copies of one another with minor differences, while a few great others take known mechanics within the genre and turns them on their heads!

To learn more about Mamorukun Curse!, please head over to our official site, follow us on Twitter, and like us on Facebook. Mamoru-kun and his friends will arrive on PSN July 16th, 2013!

Add Your Own

Mister-Nep said:

June 25th, 6:09 am

I imported this game when it first hit PS3. I enjoyed it. Looking forward to buying it again in English.

Andrew Wang's Avatar

Andrew Wang said:

June 25th, 12:32 pm

Thank you for your support!

Donjo001 said:

June 25th, 6:56 am

While the game certainly seems interesting, the title is somewhat misleading. When one thinks “Ikaruga”, they think Treasure. Treasure was the company that “made” Ikaruga. G.rev helped out, and the contribution of both parties cannot be faulted for the creation of one of the most popular shoot-em-ups of all time, but Treasure was the primary developer.

I was quite saddened when I saw the title and the article did not claim that Treasure was actually developing another shoot-em-up.

maximatron said:

June 25th, 6:56 am

Hope there will be original Japanese voices in the game ? This looks awesome, and anytime I can have a game in english (or even better, french) and all the voices in Japanese, it’s pretty much as good as it gets.

Andrew Wang's Avatar

Andrew Wang said:

June 25th, 12:33 pm

The full game retains it Japanese voice-overs and is subtitled in English.

Zionine said:

June 25th, 7:28 am

It doesn’t look like it’s coming for the Vita, but that’d be awesome! I’d like a Japanese Shmup on the beautiful OLED and the wonderful controls of the Vita. For now, I’ll stick with Sine Mora and Flying Hamster..

shrimpdude said:

June 25th, 7:43 am

Could you guys imagine how AMAZING Ikaruga (or any G.rev shooter) would be on the Vita?! Option to orient the screen vertically, fully customizable controls…man. WHY ARE THERE NOT MORE SHMUPS ON VITA?

Is there hope for Ikaruga on Vita? I can dream…

LS_Lodofan said:

June 25th, 8:18 am

Vitaaa pleaaaaase! I just want this game!

Slythex said:

June 25th, 8:25 am

Sweeeeet! Day 1 buy.

I’m not the best at shmups but they are still ridiculously fun. Mushihimesama Futari being my favorite.

Andrew Wang's Avatar

Andrew Wang said:

June 25th, 12:34 pm

Thank you for your support! Mushihimesama Futari is one of my favorites too! Along with Ikaruga (of course) and Psyvariar!

Analyst1985 said:

June 25th, 8:37 am

First thing I thought to myself, “is this a Vita game?”

Second thing I thought to myself, “why isn’t Ikargua a Vita game?”

Hopefully at some point, both questions will be answered.

Preferably by playing them on my Vita.

reson8er said:

June 25th, 8:43 am

I imported the game and love it, will love it just as much when I rebuy on the PSN.

Thanks for bringing this over!

Andrew Wang's Avatar

Andrew Wang said:

June 25th, 12:35 pm

Thank you reson8er for the support!

FireCage said:

June 25th, 9:16 am

I Love Shmups! =), there should be more of them on PS3/PS4

Any release date info plz?

FireCage said:

June 25th, 9:23 am

*Sorry by bad, didn’t notice the release date on the video, is it going to be on PSN ?

Andrew Wang's Avatar

Andrew Wang said:

June 25th, 12:37 pm

Mamorukun Curse! is a PSN downloadable game for PS3 indeed :)

FireCage said:

June 25th, 9:24 am

*my

TripG said:

June 25th, 9:35 am

I’m with everyone else on here – release this, any bring other Shumps, for and to the Vita. Lets all say it together, Sony has a PlayStation Vita, it would be really nice if the Vita was supported. Vita vita vita vita .

wilfareus said:

June 25th, 9:36 am

hoping for a Vita version

Vinland_Krauser said:

June 25th, 9:37 am

@Donjo001

Even worse is the fact that lots of great titles from Treasure and Cave are exclusive to MS.
PS3 is in dire need of more shmups, or rather, localized ones.

SogeKing said:

June 25th, 11:51 am

Can we go ahead and get this for Vita?

That would be great.

tusunami said:

June 25th, 12:47 pm

PSN could use more imports like this as well as PS Vita for sure.

Illumina-XIV said:

June 25th, 1:18 pm

Didn’t get a chance to import this so I’ll be picking it up on day 1 for sure. Please consider bringing Caladrius to North America as well, and thanks for all the shmup love over the years!

Andrew Wang's Avatar

Andrew Wang said:

June 25th, 1:35 pm

And thank you very much for the support and attention!

Etharius said:

June 25th, 1:22 pm

Day 1 for me – will it get a physical release as well as PSN? I’ a sucker for cute box art and special editions :)

Andrew Wang's Avatar

Andrew Wang said:

June 25th, 1:36 pm

Thank you very much for your support!

Bloodios said:

June 25th, 1:48 pm

I still have the Japanese demo sitting on my HDD.
Absolutely love the lovely art style, the memorable soundtracks, and addictive gameplay.

But you know what would make me really happy? A 1080p FullHD remake of Ikaruga, running at 60FPS on the PS3 or PS4 would be enough for me to buy 10 copies of the game.

Tomalek said:

June 25th, 2:05 pm

PS3? Awesome! While I own a Vita, I prefer to play games like this on a big screen.

And unless Sony added a TV out to the Vita while I wasn’t looking, you can’t play Vita games on a big screen.

DvidiriN said:

June 25th, 2:08 pm

Please, send this game to PSN br, here in razil, we can buy games too, and I would like very much to buy your game.

DvidiriN said:

June 25th, 2:09 pm

Brazil*

sorry

jimmyfoxhound said:

June 25th, 3:01 pm

NICE!! It’s been a while since the PSN has a good shmup, thank you so much for bringing it to the States!!!!!!! Def gonna pick this one up

JesteR1701one said:

June 25th, 3:53 pm

I really wish someone would make Gradius 6 and release Gradius 5 as a PS2 classic.

Hooligantuan said:

June 25th, 4:35 pm

Good lord this game looks ridiculous.

Definitely the most obnoxious audio I’ve heard since Claptrap beatboxing and wubwubwubbing through Sanctuary.

Shadow_Enz said:

June 25th, 7:55 pm

Would love to purchase. Any hope for a retail release? Is it true this will include all the DLC as well?

My priorities:

1. Physical copies
2. Vita release, physical copy
3. Bundled DLC.

Name your price if you can satisfy those priorities. I’m a political consumer — I vote and support with my wallet based on the meeting of my priorities, and don’t mind paying “more” than what others would be willing to, to get what I desire!

bmrskate said:

June 25th, 9:12 pm

This looks zany and amazing! I am a proud owner of Ikaruga, Gradius V, and even Raiden III published by you guys at UFO! The PS3 has a dire shortage of shooters, so this is very welcome news.

I will happily buy this game as soon as I can. I will enjoy every minute of it.

Now the big question: Which are the best characters to use?

Blackwind121 said:

June 26th, 9:36 pm

This looks amazing but I’d prefer to see it on the Vita. Maybe Cross-Buy for PS3 and Vita? *cough cough*

CaptnBrainslide said:

July 2nd, 6:41 am

This looks really cool… I’ll definitely pick this up.
But is there any chance of the Treasure folks working on a port of Radiant Silvergun? I’ve never gotten a chance to play it, despite owning a Saturn and loving all the other shmupping on it, it’s just too rare. Ikaruga was remade at least twice that I know of, but a PSN release of that wouldn’t be a bad thing at all, or even better if it’s on a compilation disc with some of their other amazing bullet-swarmeramas.

Stargazr64 said: