God of War

Jun 25

Jun 25

PixelJunk Monsters: Ultimate HD Coming to PS Vita

Mark South's Avatar Posted by Guy, Double Eleven

PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate HD on PS Vita

Double Eleven, Ltd been entrusted with the keys to the kingdom for classic series such as LittleBigPlanet and Limbo. For us, PixelJunk Monsters sits alongside those hallowed classics. In designing PixelJunk Monsters: Ultimate HD for PS Vita, we wanted to take the fabulous PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe and make it an even better experience. We worked closely with Q-Games to get it right, and then chose the name “Ultimate HD” at the end of development. We hope that’s what we have created!

We’ve been big fans of Monsters and the other PixelJunk games for some time; the sharp, colorful graphics and addictive gameplay had us hooked. Monsters is one of those games that is super casual, but incredibly difficult at the same time: a quality which made us – and many others – keep coming back for more. The tower defense premise is very familiar, but Monsters’ effortless execution sets it apart from other games in the genre. We realized that if Monsters were remade today, it would still stand out amongst other games in the genre.

PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate HD on PS Vita

So we set out to make the definitive version of PixelJunk Monsters for PS Vita owners. Monsters Ultimate HD has more than 30 hours of gameplay set across story and challenge levels. All of the graphics have been remastered for the PS Vita’s high-resolution screen, and we added touchscreen input to provide more control of Tikiman. Ultimate HD includes the Encore expansion, as well as all the extra towers, enemies, and levels from the Deluxe edition last seen on PSP.

If you’ve never played PixelJunk Monsters, here’s a quick primer. As Tikiman, you must protect your helpless babies from waves of incoming monsters. You’ll build weapon towers in the right places and at the right times in order to kill enemy monsters. You can grab coins and gems from fallen monsters to spend on building more towers, upgrading existing towers, or research towards powerful new towers. Monsters come thicker and faster as the waves advance, keeping the challenge consistent throughout.

PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate HD on PS Vita

When we first began planning Ultimate HD with the guys at Q-Games, our ideas spun off in many different directions. Initially, we considered opening Pandora’s Box by tweaking the gameplay, doing things like (gasp!) introducing checkpoints in between attack waves. Why? Because we wanted to reduce the game’s legendary difficulty that, at times, made us want to rage quit by hurling our PS Vita across the development room (it’s carpeted, don’t worry).

But after we discussed our ideas with Q-Games, and tried out a few potential solutions, it became clear that the sense of pride you gained in “rainbowing” (perfectly completing) a level would become somewhat less satisfying. In Monsters, you earn your rainbows and that’s it. So we agreed that our ultimate edition would stay focused on remaking the visuals for Vita’s awesome OLED screen, introducing touchscreen controls that complimented the gameplay, and compiling everything featured in the PS3 and PSP versions. We also designed the Trophies to be an extra treat for those wanting even more challenge: Our best in-house players have taken three days solid to complete the game on the hardcore setting!

When you work with a studio like Q-Games, you don’t work with “IP” or a “brand” – you work with people that put their heart and soul into making the game. Remaking PixelJunk Monsters meant enhancing a cleverly crafted tower defense game while retaining its purity — and adding a fresh helping of Double Eleven enhancements to PS for Vita fans!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Strangeheaven said:

June 25th, 12:14 pm

Sony you should buy Q Games.Awesome developers

Heatseeker125 said:

June 25th, 12:20 pm

My girlfriend and I just beat this game two days ago. Perfect timing. Looking forward to playing this Ultimate version. :)

Mark South's Avatar

Mark South said:

June 26th, 3:48 am

Excellent! Many hours of Monsters await you and your girlfriend, I really hope you enjoy our version :)

AdmiralCloud said:

June 25th, 12:38 pm

never played this before i love tower defense games and btw how much is it gonna cost

Mark South's Avatar

Mark South said:

June 26th, 3:47 am

We hope you enjoy it :) the price is not available yet, but all will be revealed in good time!!

xClayMeow said:

June 25th, 12:40 pm

First Fieldrunners 2 and now this?! Awesome TD love!

Co-op mode in a TD?! I’m intrigued! Vita is my first PlayStation device since the original PS, so I’m not familiar with the previous versions, but I’ll definitely be keeping my eye on this!

tusunami said:

June 25th, 12:41 pm

All I have to say is brilliant, I think it would be epic to see more studio’s team up to make more games for PS Vita!!!!!!!!!

plaztiksyke said:

June 25th, 1:13 pm

My husband also wants to know if existing Rainbows from the PSP version will transfer over via a save game import?

avluis said:

June 25th, 1:25 pm

Really big fan of the psp version and really glad to see this come to the PSVita. Sure buy from me!

Mark South's Avatar

Mark South said:

June 26th, 3:48 am

Glad to hear it, enjoy!

AJBS0NIC said:

June 25th, 2:33 pm

It’s great to see an ultimate edition of Monsters coming to PS Vita, and I really hope this lights the way for ultimate editions of Shooter 1&2, Racers 2nd Lap, SideScroller and my hands-down favorite, PixelJunk Eden (+Encore).

PS Vita is the perfect home for PixelJunk games past and future, I’d love to keep seeing more!!

Gmafz7 said:

June 25th, 3:45 pm

Awesome! Love TD games, especially Pixeljunk Monsters! And now Fieldrunners 2, definitely getting both!

timmy0768 said:

June 25th, 5:51 pm

This makes me sad as I never came close to beating it on ps3, it was also my first psn purchase

Ricen-Beans said:

June 25th, 6:06 pm

is there any way you guys could put a platinum trophy in there?????

The velocity guys were able to do it……

Mark South's Avatar

Mark South said:

June 26th, 3:50 am

Unfortunately it wasn’t down to us when it came to putting in platinum trophies, but there are lots of other awesome trophies to be earned!

Zezzler said:

June 25th, 6:12 pm

Monsters is by far the PixelJunk game that I have sunk the most time into, and hope to once again on my Vita.

Big fans of both Double Eleven and Q-Games’ work, so I hope that this game is just the Beginning of a long lineup of games to come to the Vita! Let’s see PixelJunk Eden Ultimate HD, PixelJunk Shooter 1&2 Ultimate HD, and possibly even PixelJunk INC on Vita too please!!

Shadow_Enz said:

June 25th, 7:39 pm

Got PJM&Encore on PS3. Got PJM Deluxe on PSP (UMD AND digital download).

Will be buying this on Day 1.

Introduce it to Steam, and I’ll buy it there also; I already have Eden on STEAM.

Cannot get enough of the Pixeljunk series. THANK YOU!

Shadow_Enz said:

June 25th, 7:44 pm

Please let me add – Inroduce a retail version as well. I know it’s more costly, but Vita memory cards are absurd, and I’d rather spend the extra monty buying this as a physical copy, just like I did for PJM deluxe.

Charge me whatever you like, even if you only made one physical copy, one chip, I’ll buy it directly from you guys. I’m serious, I don’t care how much it costs, I will pay it. Costs $100 to manufacture? Sold. $200? Sold. $1000? Sold.

Physical copy please!

Mark South's Avatar

Mark South said:

June 26th, 3:55 am

Love the dedication and enthusiasm there! A physical copy could be considered for the future, but it’s just digital at the moment :)

subVert said:

June 25th, 8:09 pm

My wife and I spent many hours gathering rainbows on the PS3. Played every single version/expansion except for the facebook version which seemed like too much of a departure for me.

Just wish it could be on the PS3. Availability on the PS4 would push me over the edge for getting a new console.

Benzitor said:

June 25th, 10:04 pm

Excellent news…its a buy for me…loved the PSP version, still playing it on vita…can’t wait for a glorious HD version with trophies

twinklebutter said:

June 26th, 12:59 am

I really wish ps vita had kingdom rush 2… the only ios game i want to play.. though i dont have an ios

rmasuda said:

June 26th, 8:34 am

I’ll definitely buy it on day one release. Tower defense in Vita totally makes sense.

TUNA-EGG said:

June 27th, 8:08 am

Looking forward to this. I lover Tower Defense games!

Tbuc said:

July 7th, 9:15 pm

We need a new ps3 or ps4 version. Loved the original, countless hours of fun for my wife and I.

PAGE 1 2